The Diversity and Inclusion Committee began in 2017 to further develop a culture of inclusion and opportunity in USMS for people of diverse backgrounds by developing resources and engaging coaches and volunteers. Its members have a passion for and experience in creating an inclusive culture and encouraging diversity in their lives.
Ways USMS is improving its diversity and inclusion:
- Added a D&I module in the USMS Coach Certification curriculum
- Regularly reaches out to coaches and clubs with best practices (see below)
- Hosted a webinar for coaches, volunteers, and staff to learn more about D&I
- Collecting more information from members on race and gender to help benchmark improvements
- Earmarked funds for Adult Learn-to-Swim grants to programs serving diverse populations
If you have ideas for the Diversity and Inclusion Committee, please reach out to committee chair Sarah Welch at email@example.com.
Diversity and Inclusion for Clubs and Coaches
The Coaches Committee collaborated with the Diversity and Inclusion Committee on a Diversity and Inclusion for Coaches webinar that took place at the end of July 2020. If you missed the discussion topic, you can view and download the presentation in addition to watch the full recording.