The COVID-19 crisis will have long-term and far-reaching effects on all of us. But we are swimmers. We are a tight-knit resilient tribe. When we stick together, we can overcome any challenge in our way.
Because your health and wellness is our primary focus during these unprecedented times, we've put together information, resources, and updates pertaining to the COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to U.S. Masters Swimming and its members, clubs, coaches, volunteers, events, and fans below.
As we develop new communication, messaging, and programs to navigate COVID-19, the National Office will facilitate idea sharing throughout USMS. Please share any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas with Volunteer Services. Please connect with us if you have any questions or concerns.
Most important, stay healthy and safe, and look out for each other during this crisis.
Volunteer Communications and Updates
- July 14, 2020 - Update: USMS recommendation for sanctioning events
- June 30, 2020 - A message from the president - Updates on several important topics
- June 18, 2020 - USMS new recommendation for sanctioning events
- June 11, 2020 - Update to USMS Liability Release and Waiver Form
- May 21, 2020 - USMS cancels Summer Nationals
- May 11, 2020 - New Financial Plan and Adjustments for the Future
- May 1, 2020 - A Message From the President - We want your feedback on 2020 membership fees
- May 1, 2020 - USMS to Host Virtual Annual Meeting in 2020
- April 29, 2020 - A Message From the President -- April 2020
- April 22, 2020 - Board Updates From the USMS President: USMS Annual Meeting and Events
- March 24, 2020 - A Message From the CEO
- March 13, 2020 - USMS Cancels Spring Nationals and Strongly Recommends LMSCs to Suspend Events Until April 30
USMS COVID-19 Relief Program for Clubs
2020 Annual Meeting
The 2020 USAS Convention has been canceled. The USMS Board of Directors are supportive of this difficult decision because it is in the best interest of the health and safety of USMS delegates. (read full communication)
The board approved moving USMS's 2020 Annual Meeting to a virtual format. There is still a lot to plan and work through for a virtual meeting so stand by for more details as they are developed. In the interim, please continue to select delegates and proceed with other LMSC or committee work relating to the annual meeting. Should you have immediate questions regarding the 2020 annual meeting, please contact Volunteer Services.
Events and Sanction Fees
To encourage the reintroduction of events when appropriate, the board voted to waive all national sanction fees for the remainder of 2020. As part of this action, the board is recommending that LMSCs remove any of their additional sanction fees.
USMS is continuing to recommend LMSCs not sanction traditional format in-person pool meet or open water events through September 30. However, this recommendation does not extend to virtual or ePostal events, for which sanctions may be considered so long as participants are directed to follow facility, local, state, and federal safety and social distancing guidelines.
The USMS Board of Directors has formed a subcommittee to closely monitor the evolving situation and develop guidelines for an eventual return of USMS-sanctioned events. For any potential standard events (i.e., non-virtual, in person) in the coming months, it will be imperative that plans are implemented following all guidelines to ensure the health and safety of USMS members, volunteers, and organizers.
Refer to the COVID-19 Event Resources page for more information.
Please continue to follow the guidelines established by local, state, and federal health officials in your area.