We at USMS know you are looking for guidance to be able to conduct safe and fun sanctioned in-person events for our members. Starting November 1, we will implement a phased approach to return to competition. We understand not all LMSCs will be able to begin holding events due to state, local, and facility restrictions; however, we want those who do conduct events to plan with USMS guidelines and recommendations in place.
Phase 1 guidance is focused on in-person pool meets, which are the most likely event format to be held as USMS returns to competition in November 2020. However, the general guidelines also apply to open water events and we’ll provide additional open water updates as the 2021 season draws closer. Please contact the Open Water Coordinator if you are considering sanctioning an open water event in late 2020 or early 2021.
- Phase 1 Return to Competition Guidance
- Safety Plan - COVID-19 Addendum to be completed by the event director in addition to the standing sanction application
- COVID-19 Attendee Screening Form to be completed by all attendees (swimmers, volunteers, officials, and facility staff) prior to the event
- Updated USMS Liability Waiver to be used by all USMS-sanctioned events moving forward. To be clear, USMS liability insurance doesn’t cover transmission of viral or bacterial infections.
Communications and Updates
- October 8, 2020 - Guidelines announced for Phase 1 Return to Competition starting November 1
- September 22, 2020 - USMS Board of Directors extends recommendation to not sanction events through October and approves Phase 1 of returning to events in November
- August 17, 2020 - USMS Board of Directors extends recommendation to not sanction events through September
- July 14, 2020 - Updates on USMS Event Sanctioning through August
- June 18, 2020 - Updates on USMS Event Sanctioning through July
- May 20, 2020 - Updates on USMS Event Sanctioning through June
- Go the Distance is an ongoing fitness event to encourage USMS members to swim regularly and track progress.
- 2020 SmartyPants Vitamins USMS Fall Fitness Challenge (November 15–30). This is a 1-mile swim that can be completed in a pool or open water. A dryland option will also be offered. Proceeds from this event will benefit USMS COVID-19 relief efforts for clubs.
- 2020 USMS 3000/6000-Yard ePostal National Championships (Sept. 15 - Nov. 15)
USMS encourages clubs and event organizers to get creative by hosting virtual pool and open water events in a variety of formats. These events can be used as fundraisers to help clubs recoup revenue lost during the shutdown. A few options:
- ePostal competitions (existing examples: Pool versus Cool, IM Madness, 400 Kick for Time, Miracle Mile, Two Mile Relay, Brute Squad)
- Clinics to help improve technique after an extended break from swimming
- Fitness events to provide motivation as swimmers return to the water
- As previously announced, sanction fees have been waived for the remainder of 2020. Refer to the sanction fee grid for more information.
- If you're aware of any meets that have been canceled or postponed to a future date, please contact Volunteer Services so we can assist in updating the Calendar of Events and our sanctions database.
- Participant accident and general liability insurance will remain in place as long as USMS-approved activity guidelines are followed. See USMS insurance page for more details.
Please continue to follow the guidelines established by local, state, and federal health officials in your area.