Try Masters Swimming is our annual campaign to introduce adults to the life-changing benefits of Masters Swimming. Have your club ready to host prospective swimmers from July 1–31.
How does Try Masters Swimming work?
USMS will run a nationwide advertising campaign June 15–July 31 targeted to people who have an interest in swimming within a roughly 10-mile radius of a participating club's location. The goal is to get them to try at least one free workout between July 1–31.
Participating clubs have double opted in (once during club registration and once via email in April-May 2021) to offer a free workout during Try Masters Swimming. This campaign will drive these potential members to our Trial Membership Form, which will only list participating clubs. Once potential members have filled out the form and selected your club for their free workout, an email will be sent to your club contact with their information so you can reach out to them with information about your club, when the practices are, and any special instructions. (We'll also send a confirmation email to the potential members with your club's club contact information in it as a backup, but you should reach out first.)
How can my club be a part of it?
This is what you need to do to be a part of Try Masters Swimming:
- Sign up to participate in Try Masters Swimming through the club registration/update process by May 1.*
- Fill out the double opt-in form sent to your club contact in April and May (this will ensure your club can and still will participate).
- Pick a couple of workouts a week during July as the free workouts designed to be welcoming and fun for new swimmers.
- Promote this at your facility and encourage your members to bring friends, family, and co-workers to a practice.
- Have your club contact respond within 48 hours to the potential member inquiry that will be emailed to them with the appropriate information.
- Create an amazing experience for potential members at your workout.
- Follow up with them after their workouts.
*Participating in Try Masters Swimming is one of the Gold Club Designation criteria.
What resources are available to my club?
All clubs will have access to a digital toolbox that contains:
- Best practices document
- Poster to hang at your facility
- Flyer to hang at your facility
- Press release to send to local media
- Sample website text for your club's website
- Email templates to potential members, your facility, and your current members
- Social media sharables
- USMS logos
Participating clubs who requested a mailed box will also receive:
- USMS caps
- USMS T-shirts
- USMS bag tags
- USMS stickers
- Thank-you notes
- Flyer with USMS's membership benefits
- Copies of SWIMMER magazine
And, as always, you can contact club and coach services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are many reasons this campaign takes place in July.
- It comes between the two biggest swimming events of the year: the U.S. Olympic Team swimming trials (ending in late June) and the Tokyo Olympics (starting in late July). It's the big moment every four years when nearly everyone has an interest in the sport we love.
- Many seasonal pools begin opening up for the summer in late May and early June, so there will be more pools open and more space available.
- USMS's Year-Plus membership starts July 1. This is a $99 membership that includes the rest of 2021 and all of 2022 for a discounted price, which is attractive to new members.
COVID-19 has limited our pool time and availability. What should we do?Because of the pandemic, we know that not every club's pool will be open or in the position to allow trial members. When planning for the campaign it was impossible to predict when all pools were going to be back to normal operations. July was the best option due to the Olympics and pools' summer hours. If your club isn't able to participate in July, you can still repurpose most of the items in the digital toolbox and run your own club's trial membership program. USMS will help in any we can to provide additional resources for this. Please let us know what additional support we can provide at email@example.com.
5 Ways to Promote TMS
- Put a flyer up at all of the aquatic facilities in your area.
- Ask your swimmers to share on their social media pages.
- Personally invite lap swimmers at your aquatic facility.
- Host a clinic and invite individuals who aren't members of your program.
- Contact your other strategic partners, such as the local triathlon club, to participate in Try Masters Swimming.
Access the TMS Club Toolbox
Club Contest Info
Three Tiers TBD by Participating Club/Workout Group's Size.
Prizes in each tier:
Grand Prize: Colorado Timing System Pace clock, FINIS Stop Watch, $150 Gift Card to Marriott, 2022 USMS Membership for Coach
Second Prize: FINIS Stop Watch, $150 Gift Card to Marriott, 2022 USMS Membership for Coach
Third Prize: FINIS Stop Watch & 2022 USMS Membership for Coach.