Welcome to the 2020 USMS National Elections information site. The election will be held during the 2020 Annual Meeting of the House of Delegates. This election cycle, we will elect At-Large Directors (Breadbasket Zone, Colonies Zone, Dixie Zone, Great Lakes Zone, Northwest Zone, Oceana Zone, South Central Zone, and Southwest Zone). Descriptions and duties of the officers are contained in ARTICLE 506 of the Code of Regulations. Processes for the election are governed by the current Election Operating Guidelines. Please read all information carefully and refer to the Election Schedule in APPENDIX A of these guidelines to avoid misunderstandings. If elected, you will need to attend a mandatory BOD meeting which will be held immediately after the annual meeting beginning Sunday morning. It is recommended you plan your return flight no earlier than 2:00pm that day.
NOTE: Floor nominations will be taken at an early House of Delegates meeting (HOD #1). All floor nominees must have a second and the nomination packet of a floor nominee must be in the hands of the Election Committee Chair within one hour following the nomination in order to be placed on the ballot.
The following candidates have been qualified and slated as of TBD:
- Breadbasket Zone
- Colonies Zone
- Dixie Zone
- Great Lakes Zone
- Northwest Zone
- Oceana Zone
- South Central Zone
- Southwest Zone
The original nomination period is from March 1, 2020 through April 30, 2020.
The election committee will accept floor nominations for all USMS officers/directors positions at the annual meeting during designated HOD meetings; however, all eligible candidates must submit proper documentation to be slated.
- Nomination Packet - This is a Word file containing instructions and the Candidate questionnaire.
- Template for Letter of Nomination or Endorsement
- Current Election Operating Guidelines - The guidelines govern the election process and inform you of the requirements you will need to fulfill as a candidate.
- Creating an Electronic Signature
- be members in good standing of U.S. Masters Swimming for the year when the election is held;
- have attended one or more USMS annual meetings of the National House of Delegates in the preceding five years; and
- plan to attend the annual meeting of the National House of Delegates for the election year in which they are standing for election, and plan to attend all House of Delegates meetings during their tenure. Explanation of the duties of officers can be found in the 2020 USMS Code of Regulations and Rules of Competition (Article 506 - Duties of Officers) and on the Election Section of the USMS Web Site.
- Candidates for director shall be a member of the Zone from which they are seeking election (applicable in even years only).
If after reading the materials, you have questions about the role of USMS officers or the Nomination/Election process, please contact Elections Committee Chair Erin Sullivan.
2020 Elections: Electronic Voting
The Elections Committee introduced electronic voting to the HOD in 2018 which has replaced paper ballots. Not only will we receive election results much faster, we will also save time on distributing and counting ballots. Whether you're a first-timer or returning delegate, this tutorial will help guide you through the election ballot process.