Welcome to the 2020 USMS National Elections information site. The election will be held during the 2020 Virtual Annual Meeting of the House of Delegates. This election cycle, we will elect At-Large Directors (Breadbasket Zone, Colonies Zone, Dixie Zone, Great Lakes Zone, Northwest Zone, Oceana Zone, South Central Zone, and Southwest Zone). Descriptions and duties of the officers are contained in ARTICLE 506 of the Code of Regulations. Processes for the election are governed by the current Election Operating Guidelines. Please read all information carefully and refer to the Election Schedule in APPENDIX A of these guidelines to avoid misunderstandings. If elected, you will need to attend a mandatory BOD meeting which will be held at the conclusion of the virtual annual meeting.
Due to the virtual nature of the 2020 Annual Meeting, the Elections Committee and the Board of Directors have created and approved the following 2020 Emergency Elections Procedures for a Virtual USMS Annual Meeting.
The following candidates have been qualified and slated as of September 7, 2020 (*endorsed by zone):
- Breadbasket Zone
- Carrie Stolar* - Elected
- Colonies Zone
- Jeff Strahota* - Elected
- Dixie Zone
- Great Lakes Zone
- Northwest Zone
- Oceana Zone
- John King* - Elected
- Southwest Zone
- Jill Gellatly* - Elected
The original nomination period is from March 1, 2020 through April 30, 2020, but was authorized and extended to May 31, 2020 for the Oceana Zone, which did not have candidates by that deadline.
Floor Nominations - Floor Nominations will open at 11:59pm PDT on Friday, Sept 4, 2020 and will close at 11:59pm PDT on Sunday, Sept 6, 2020. All completed packets must be submitted to the Elections Chair no later than 2:00pm PDT on Monday, Sept 7, 2020, All new packets will be posted on the U.S. Masters website on Tuesday, Sept 8, 2020, per the 2020 Emergency Elections Procedures for a Virtual USMS Annual Meeting.
- Nomination Packet - This is a Word file containing instructions and the Candidate questionnaire.
- Template for Letter of Nomination or Endorsement
- Current Election Operating Guidelines - The guidelines govern the election process and inform you of the requirements you will need to fulfill as a candidate.
- Creating an Electronic Signature
To be eligible for nomination, candidates shall:
- be members in good standing of U.S. Masters Swimming for the year when the election is held;
- have attended one or more USMS annual meetings of the National House of Delegates in the preceding five years; and
- plan to attend the annual meeting of the National House of Delegates for the election year in which they are standing for election, and plan to attend all House of Delegates meetings during their tenure. Explanation of the duties of officers can be found in the 2020 USMS Code of Regulations and Rules of Competition (Article 506 - Duties of Officers) and on the Election Section of the USMS Web Site.
- Candidates for director shall be a member of the Zone from which they are seeking election (applicable in even years only).
If after reading the materials, you have questions about the role of USMS officers or the Nomination/Election process, please contact Elections Committee Chair Erin Sullivan.