Try Masters Swimming is our annual movement to introduce adults to the life-changing benefits of Masters Swimming. Have your club ready to host prospective swimmers from July 1-31!
How does Try Masters Swimming work?
USMS will run a nationwide advertising campaign from June 15 - July 31 targeted to people who have an interest in swimming within a roughly 10-mile radius of a participating club's location. The goal is to get them to try at least one free workout between July 1-31.
Participating clubs have double opted in (once during club registration and once via email in April-May, 2021) to offer a free workout during Try Master Swimming. This campaign will drive these potential members to our digital Trial Membership Form, which will only list participating clubs. Once a potential member has filled out the form and selected your club for their free workout, an email will be sent to your club contact with the potential member's information so you can reach back out to them with information about your club, when the practices are going to be, and any special instructions. (We will also send a confirmation email to the potential member with your club's club contact information in it as a backup, but you should reach out first!).
How can my club be a part of it?
This is what you need to do:
- Sign up to participate in Try Masters Swimming through the club registration/update process by May 1*
- Fill out the double-opt-in form sent to your club contact in April and May (this will ensure your club can and still will participate)
- You will be included on the Trial Membership Form that is available to potential members
- Pick a couple of workouts a week during July to be the free workouts that are designed to be welcoming and fun for new swimmers
- You should promote this at your facility and encourage your current members to bring friends, family, and co-workers to a practice
- The club contact should respond within 48 hours to the potential member inquiry that will be emailed to them with the appropriate information
- Create an amazing experience for the potential member at your workout!
- Follow up with them afterward
*Participating in Try Masters Swimming is one Gold Club Designation criteria.
What resources are available to my club?
A toolbox that contains:
- A best practices document
- A poster to hang at your facility
- A flyer to hang at your facility
- A press release to send to your local media
- Sample website text to input on your club's website
- Email templates to potential members, your facility, and your current members
- Social media sharables
- USMS logos
And, as always, you can contact the club and coach department at email@example.com.
5 Ways to Promote Try Masters Swimming
- Put a flyer up at all the aquatic facilities in your surrounding area.
- Ask your swimmers to share on their social media pages.
- Personally invite the lap swimmers at your aquatic facility.
- Host a clinic and invite individuals who are not currently members of your program.
- Contact your other strategic partners, such as the local triathlon club, to participate in Try Masters Swimming.