USMS offers a digital and print 30-day tryout (guest membership) for prospective members who would like to try out a couple of workouts before joining a Masters program. One tryout period per lifetime is allowed, and must not exceed 30 consecutive days. During the 30-day tryout period the swimmer may participate in swim practices, clinics, or swim lessons only. The 30-day tryout may not be used for competitive events such as swim meets or open water swim races. (An unregistered swimmer may separately participate in a single event via a one-event registration if the LMSC supports this optional program. See the One-Event Registration Procedure section.)
A swimmer who has been previously registered with USMS in a prior year is not eligible for the 30-day tryout.
All 30-day tryout participants are covered by the USMS participant accident insurance during their tryout period. Because they are covered, USMS must collect and retain the 30-day tryout participants' biographical information and signed liability waivers.
In 2019, we began to offer a digital trial membership form to make the filling out and submission process easier. We still offer a paper 30-Day Tryout registration form as well. Either form is to be used for all 30-day tryout participants in your program. The form must be completed on their first day of attendance.
- For the digital form, once the participant submits the form, a confirmation email is sent to the participant, the club contact of the club they selected and USMS.
- For the paper form, the coach should retain one copy of the signed form for the club, and send the signed form to the USMS national office (instructions are on the form). The form is two pages long; both pages must be filled out and signed.
- Tryout memberships are limited to one per lifetime.
- Tryout memberships are limited to 30 consecutive days in length.
- Tryout memberships are for workouts or clinics only.
- Tryout memberships cannot be used to participate in swim meets or open water race events.
- A Tryout membership provides secondary personal accident coverage to the participant while participating in the USMS activity.