Welcome to the 2018 USMS National Elections information page. The election will be held during the 2018 Annual Meeting of the House of Delegates. This election cycle, we will elect At-Large Directors (Breadbasket Zone, Colonies Zone, Dixie Zone, Great Lakes Zone, Northwest Zone, Oceana Zone, South Central Zone, and Southwest Zone). Descriptions and duties of the officers are contained in ARTICLE 506 of the Code of Regulations. Processes for the election are governed by the current Election Operating Guidelines (revised 7/14/18). If elected, you will need to attend a mandatory BOD meeting which will be held immediately after Convention Sunday morning. Please read all information carefully and refer to the Election Schedule in APPENDIX A of these guidelines to avoid misunderstandings.
2018 Elections: Important update on Electronic Voting
The Elections Committee is excited to bring electronic voting to the HOD which will replace our current process of paper ballots. Not only will we receive election results much faster, we will also save time on distributing and counting ballots. For a preview of the 2018 election ballot and step-by-step instructions, please read the Guide to Electronic Voting. (revised 9/14/18)
NOTE: Floor nominations will be taken at an early House of Delegates meeting (HOD #1) but before the Zone Meetings. All floor nominees must have a second and must turn in a nomination packet before the close of nominations in order to be placed on the ballot.
The following candidates have been qualified and slated as of June 3, 2018:
- Breadbasket Zone
- Bruce Hopson - nomination packet
- Carrie Stolar - nomination packet - Elected
- Colonies Zone
- Dixie Zone
- Great Lakes Zone
- Northwest Zone
- Oceana Zone
- South Central Zone
- Southwest Zone
The original nomination period closed on April 30, 2018, but was authorized and extended to May 31, 2018 for the Breadbasket and Northwest Zones, which did not have candidates by that deadline.
The election committee will accept floor nominations for all at-large director positions at convention during designated HOD meetings; however, all eligible candidates must submit proper documentation to be slated.
- Nomination Packet - This is a Word file containing instructions and the Candidate questionnaire. (revised 7/14/18)
- Template for Letter of Nomination or Endorsement
- Current Election Operating Guidelines (revised 7/14/18) - The guidelines govern the election process and inform you of the requirements you will need to fulfill as a candidate.
- Creating an Electronic Signature
To be eligible for nomination, candidates shall:
- be members in good standing of U.S. Masters Swimming for the year when the election is held;
- have attended one or more USMS annual meetings of the National House of Delegates in the preceding five years (this requirement was changed from two to one with adoption of revised Election Operating Guidelines adopted by the Board of Directors on July 14, 2018); and
- plan to attend the annual meeting of the National House of Delegates for the election year in which they are standing for election, and plan to attend all House of Delegates meetings during their tenure. Explanation of the duties of officers can be found in the 2018 USMS Code of Regulations and Rules of Competition (Article 506– Board of Directors) and on the Election Section of the USMS Web Site.
If after reading the materials, you have questions about the role of USMS officers or the Nomination/Election process, please contact Elections Committee Chair Cheryl Gettelfinger.