The application will ask you about your program and your instructors, and points are awarded in the first round of consideration for "yes" answers to the following questions:
- Does the program have a USMS-ALTS certified instructor?
- Does the program intend to use the USMS-ALTS curriculum?
- Does the program have an affiliated Masters club?
- If not, are they willing to start one?
- Has the program participated in April is Adult Learn-to-Swim Month or a similar outreach effort to engage adult nonswimmers in its community?
- Is the program a nonprofit or municipality?
- Is the program a previous SSLF recipient?
- Is the program established in its community?
- Will the program offer low-cost lessons to students?
- Does the program have a matching grant?
In the latest group of applications, programs scoring at least 6 advanced to the next round of consideration.
All applicants are encouraged to be familiar with the application scoring system and submit an application that best reflects the program's earned points. Also, we'll ask for a proposed budget and will want to hear how a grant from the USMS Swimming Saves Lives Foundation can help take your swim-lessons program to the next level, or help you to get off the ground. We accept applications from all swim instructors, facilities, and programs that want to help make more adults safer around water. If you have questions, you are welcome to email or call, 941-556-6285.
Grant winners will be notified in October. Funds awarded will be for use in the following calendar year.