- Coaching Home
- Coaching Resources
- Coach Certification
- Coach Certification Class Schedule
- Coach Certification Course Outlines
- Stroke Clinic Course
- Certified Masters Coaches
- Designated Masters Coaches
- Designated Coach Resources
- Newsletter Archive
- Online Coaching
- On-deck Coaching
- Coaching Awards
- High Performance Camp
- Coaching Jobs
- National Coaches Clinic
U.S. Masters Swimming Clinic Course for Coaches
The USMS Clinic Course for Coaches, offered by USMS Education Services, instructs the Masters coach how to conceptualize, organize and deliver a stroke development clinic (SDC). The course is offered to USMS certified Masters coaches who have successfully completed Level 1, or higher, of the USMS Masters coach certification. Current USMS registration is required. The course consists of both a classroom and on-deck component. The registration for the clinic course is limited to 12 coaches per class.
In the classroom, the course instructors will teach the Masters coach how to structure a SDC based on the type of clinic, length of time of the clinic, swimming pool configuration, lane space availability, and number of swimmers attending. The Masters coach will be instructed how to deliver a drill/swim progression for each of the four competitive strokes. The purpose of the drill/swim progression is to help swimmers of all abilities improve stroke technique during the clinic and the ability to self improve beyond the clinic into the future.
The on-deck portion of the class is delivered immediately after the classroom portion or the following day during a USMS Stroke Development Clinic. This gives the Masters coach the real-time experience of practicing the skills learned in the classroom while under the guidance of the SDC course instructors.
The combination of classroom and practical instruction is a formidable method to achieving the core objective of the clinic course: Provide Masters coaches the skills and resources necessary to host a successful stroke development clinic.
Benefits of this course to Masters coaches:
- Increase the coaches’ skill level of stroke development and stroke technique improvement
- Professional advancement opportunities
- Revenue generation from clinics, new member recruitment and member retention
- Becoming a resource to others who want to engage the services of a trained stroke clinician
The fee to attend the SDC course is $50. USMS designated Masters coaches receive a $10 discount during the online registration process.
Stroke Development Clinic Course Outline
Chapter 1 -- Objectives and benefits
Chapter 2 -- Teaching adults to teach themselves
- “Why” is just as important as “How”
- Repetition is the key to successful transformation
- Overcoming learning obstacles
- Seeing is believing -- Using pictures and videos
Chapter 3 -- Types of stroke clinics and the benefits of each clinic
- Freestyle only
- All four competitive strokes
- Open-water skills
- Starts & turns
Chapter 4 -- Hosting a stroke development clinic
- What's the clinic's purpose?
- Who is your customer?
- What's your student to coach ratio?
- When and where will you host a clinic?
- How long should it last?
Chapter 5 -- Registration and Finances
- Self-directed vs. third party
- Determining the clinic registration ree
- Facilities fees and considerations
- Get commitments in advance
Chapter 6 -- Marketing the stroke development clinic
- Social media
Chapter 7 -- Planning, preparation and delivery timeline
- A comfortable timeline
Chapter 8 -- "Welcome to the clinic"