Name: Jeff Moxie
LMSC: Southern Pacific
Nominated for: President
Response to Questions
Why are you interested in this position and why do you believe you would be a good
I believe that the leadership experience I have gained in the corporate world combined with the
experience of serving USMS will make a good combination for providing leadership to the
organization. My background in managing organizations, both large and small, through periods
of change will be of great value in the role of President as USMS moves through its current period
What do you consider to be the major issues facing USMS now and in the future. As a person
holding an elected position within USMS, how would you address these issues?
I see three primary areas of challenge for USMS at the current time.
- The organization is moving towards having more paid staff than it has had historically. This will ultimately result in certain roles and responsibilities currently being handled by our volunteers being transitioned to paid staff. As this transition occurs it is important that USMS continues to provide our volunteers, who have an unmatched depth of knowledge as well as passion for the sport and organization, a meaningful role in the organization.
- As we transition roles and responsibilities to paid staff it is imperative that the organization at all levels (Board of Directors, House of Delegates, Committees, LMSCs, etc.) support our paid staff. This will include, but will not be limited to, providing:
- input on critical issues as necessary,
- the necessary infrastructure to allow the paid staff, and ultimately the organization, to be successful and
- volunteer support
- The Endowment Fund is a great asset of the organization. However, I believe it is currently underutilized. In addition, I would like to see the funding levels increase dramatically over the next few years.
In order to address these issues it will be necessary to pull together a group of individuals with interests in each of these areas. USMS has a deep volunteer base with expertise that can be drawn from to develop goals, as well as a plan to reach these goals, to tackle these challenges, as well as any other that may arise.
Please list USMS committees on which you have served. Include the dates you were on the committees and the names of the committee chairs under whom you served:
Finance Committee (Tom Boak as Chair) - 2003-2005
Finance Committee Chair - 2006-2007
Treasurer of USMS - 2008-2009
Please list any other experience that relates to your qualifications for the position.
I have held senior executive leadership positions in various corporate organizations over the last
12 years, including Kinko's, Virgin and Sunkist, which have given me the experience needed to
lead a group of passionate and talented individuals to a common goal.
Please list any other information you would like included.