Name: C.J. Rushman
Nominated for: Secretary
Response to Questions
Why are you interested in this position and why do you believe you would be a good candidate?
I would like to contribute more to USMS by being elected secretary. My job as a Project Management Director, as well as having served as my LMSC secretary as well as several other organizations, uniquely qualifies me for the position. If elected, I would like to focus on communication as a means to improve USMS and promote intelligent growth-increasing our membership as an outgrowth of us getting the message out that USMS has something to offer everyone.
I have been very involved with USMS for many years through the Championship Committee. I would like to contribute more as a member of the Executive Committee. I also feel I could bring a fresh perspective to the Executive Committee.
What do you consider to be the major issues facing USMS now and in the future. As a person holding an elected position within USMS, how would you address these issues?
Probably the most crucial issue is dealing with growing pains as our organization expands. As our membership has increased, even day-to-day operations have become a challenge. To do more than simply maintain the status quo, we must change the way we operate, a process already well under way since we had hire an Executive Director. At the same time, we must not alienate our core membership-growth for growth's sake will wind up disappointing both current and future members. Increasing our membership must be an outgrowth of us getting the message out that USMS has something to offer. In other words, communication is absolutely fundamental. And communication means being willing to listen too. We need to tell the world about ourselves, but we also need to listen to what the active adult population is asking for, and if necessary and feasible, be willing to adapt to meet those needs. And we need to provide more services to our non-competitive members, while maintaining our commitment to those who do compete. If elected, I would gather and evaluate information, and make appropriate recommendations and decisions.
Please list USMS committees on which you have served. Include the dates you were on the committees and the names of the committee chairs under whom you served:
- Championship Committee, 2002 - present. Served under Mark Moore. Meet Liaison to USMS Short Course Nationals at University of Texas, Austin TX 2008.
- Communications Committee, 2001-2003.
- Publications Committee (previously Rule Book Committee), 2002-present Served under Meg Smath and Susan Ehringer.
Please list any other experience that relates to your qualifications for the position.
- Ohio LMSC Chair 2001-2007
- Ohio LMSC Secretary 1999-2007
- Ohio LMSC Vice Chair 2009 - present
- Ohio LMSC Fitness and Safety Officer 2007-2009
- Member of the USMS Championship Committee
- Founder and President of Anderson Barracuda Masters (Cincinnati Ohio) (a subgroup of Southwest Ohio) 1996-2007. Served as meet director for both the winter AB Invitational and the summer Splash and Dash meet.
- YMCA- USA-certified swimming official; serving as referee, and stroke and turn judge. Also worked numerous Masters and high school meets in Cincinnati.
Please list any other information you would like included.
- Developed and Editor of Team Newsletter as well OHIO LMSC newsletter, The Starting Block.
- Coach Age Group - Anderson Barracudas/ M.E. Lyons YMCA
- Represented Team as Public Relations contact with news media
- Swam collegiately at the University of Cincinnati.