- Swimming Saves Lives
Research shows that adults aspire to swim more than any other fitness activity, yet 37% of American adults cannot swim the length of a pool. The Swimming Saves Lives Foundation provides grants to programs that provide opportunities for adults to swim. In 2012, the SSL Foundation awarded more than $22,000 in grants. These included:
- Friends of the Pool: To expand Masters programming at the municipal aquatic facility in Islamorada, Fla.
- Walnut Creek Masters: To start a Swimming Saves Lives introductory adult swim program in Walnut Creek, Calif.
- The Advancement Foundation: To start a Swimming Saves Lives swimming program for low-income adults in southwest Virginia.
- Swim With Heart: To offer programs for adults whose opportunities are limited due to disability, lack of access to facilities, and economic pressures in Santa Monica, Calif.
- 21st Century Swimming: To teach instructors across the country to help adults who are fearful of water become comfortable and empowered as swimmers.
The common theme of these grant awards is that they directly support programs that are providing opportunities for adults to swim—adults who might not otherwise have opportunities. Each year the SSL Foundation hopes to help hundreds of adults in their aspirations to swim.
Download and submit a grant application to the Swimming Saves Lives Foundation. All grant applications must be submitted no later than June 1, 2013.
If you’d like to discuss opportunities to contribute to the USMS Swimming Saves Lives Foundation, please contact Rob Butcher at 941-556-6270 or via email. You can also make an online donation. Please read our gift acceptance policy.
U.S. Masters Swimming is registered as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Contributions to the USMS Swimming Saves Lives Foundation are tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law. U.S. Masters Swimming’s tax identification number is 31-0999051. A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE (800-435-7352) WITHIN THE STATE. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE. USMS’s Florida registration number is CH33301. You can find out more about us on guidestar.org under United States Masters Swimming, Inc.