U.S. Masters Swimming holds eleven National Long Distance Championships each year. The championships are open water as well as ePostal events as follows:
- Sprint Distance Open Water Championship (One mile on a quarter-mile straightaway or open water course)
- 2-Mile Cable Open Water Championship (quarter-mile straightaway)
- Middle Distance Open Water Championship (greater than 1 mile and less than or equal to 3 miles)
- Long Distance Open Water Championship (greater than 3 miles and less than 6 miles)
- Marathon Distance Open Water Championship (greater than or equal to 6 miles and less than 9 miles)
- Ultramarathon Distance Open Water Championship (greater than or equal to 9 miles)
- 1-hour ePostal National Championship (in a pool 25 yards or longer)
- 5K/10K ePostal National Championship (each event swum separately on a 50-meter course in a pool)
- 3000/6000-Yard ePostal National Championship (each event swum separately on a 25-yard or 25-meter course in a pool)
- Other national championship events and distances may be awarded at the discretion of the Long Distance Committee chair
Information, entry forms, and results of national championships, are available here:
- 2018 Championships
- 2017 Championships
- 2016 Championships
- 2015 Championships
- 2014 Championships
- 2013 Championships
- 2012 Championships
- 2011 Championships
- 2010 Championships
- 2009 Championships
- 2008 Championships
- 2007 Championships
- 2006 Championships
- 2005 Championships
- 2004 Championships
- 2003 Championships
- 2002 Championships
- 2001 Championships
- 2000 Championships
- 1999 Championships
- 1998 Championships
The USMS History and Archives Committee is searching for results and some information missing for a number of older events (date, location, etc.). See this file for a list of events where information is needed. If you have access to some of the missing information, please send it to Archives@usms.org.
- Pace Chart - All Events (.pdf): This chart covers swimming paces from 3:00 per 100 to 1:00 per 100 for all 5 ePostal events.
- Interval Pace Chart (.pdf): For distances from 100 to 3000, we have listed the interval times if a swimmer maintains a specific pace, ranging from 3:00 per 100 to 1:00 per 100.
- One Hour Pace Chart (.pdf): For a pace of 5:00 per 100 to 1:00 per 100, this OHP pace chart provides exact distances for each pace interval, plus the formula to determine one's own pace.
ePostal Split Sheets
Championship Bidding Information
- Bid Instructions (.pdf) - Instructions on how to bid for long distance open water and ePostal championships. Championships are awarded by the Open Water and Long Distance Committee at the annual meeting held approximately two years prior to the championship being awarded and are due no later than 30 days prior to the annual meeting.
- Open Water Championships Bid Form - Form to be used for bidding on long distance open water championships. Please download Bid Instructions document for instructions on how to fill out this form.
- ePostal Championships Bid Form - Form to be used for bidding on long distance ePostal championships. Please download Bid Instructions document for instructions on how to fill out this form.