- Elections Home
Welcome to the 2017 USMS National Elections information site. The election will be held during the 2017 Annual Meeting of the House of Delegates. This election cycle, we will elect USMS officers (president, vice president of administration, vice president of community services, vice president of local operations, vice president of programs, secretary and treasurer). Descriptions and duties of the officers are contained in ARTICLE 505.3 of the Code of Regulations. Processes for the election are governed by the current Election Operating Guidelines. Please read all information carefully and refer to the Election Schedule in APPENDIX A of these guidelines to avoid misunderstandings. If elected, you will need to attend a mandatory BOD meeting which will be held immediately after Convention beginning Sunday morning at 9:15am and lasting until approximately noon. It is recommended you plan your return flight no earlier than 2:00pm that day.
NOTE: Floor nominations will be taken at the first House of Delegates meeting, Thursday, September 14, at 8:30am. All floor nominees must have a second and must turn in a nomination packet (both hard copy and electronic) before the close of nominations in order to be placed on the ballot.
The following candidates have been qualified and slated as of June 4, 2017.
- Vice President of Administration (oversees the following committees: Championship, Legislation, Registration, and Rules)
- Vice President of Community Services (oversees the following committees: Coaches; Fitness Education; and Sports Medicine and Science)
- Vice President of Local Operations (oversees the following commitees: History and Archives; LMSC Development; Records and Tabulation; and Recognition and Awards)
- Vice President of Programs (oversees the following committees: Long Distance, Officials, and Open Water)
The nomination period was from March 1, 2017 through April 30, 2017.
In accordance with our Election Operating Guidelines and the USMS Board of Directors, an extended special nomination period is authorized from May 8 through May 31 for any position without a slated candidate. The office of Vice President of Administration has no candidates. Therefore, the election committee is soliciting nominations for this position only. All other nominations must come from the floor of the HOD during the 2017 Convention.
Nomination packets for the office of Vice President of Administration and additional information may be obtained below or by contacting Election Chair Cheryl Gettelfinger.
- Nomination Packet - The nomination packet contains the following items:
- A Word file containing instructions and the Candidate questionnaire,
- A USMS Conflict of Interest Word file (must be completed), and
- A Letter Template that should be used for those nominating/endorsing first-time nominees.
- Current Election Operating Guidelines - The guidelines govern the election process and inform you of the requirements you will need to fulfill as a candidate.
To be eligible for nomination, candidates shall: 1) be members in good standing of U.S. Masters Swimming for the year when the election is held; 2) have attended more than one USMS annual meeting of the National House of Delegates in the preceding five (5) years; and 3) plan to attend the annual meeting of the National House of Delegates for the election year in which they are standing for election, and plan to attend all House of Delegates meetings during their tenure. Explanation of the duties of officers can be found in the 2017 USMS Code of Regulations and Rules of Competition (Article 505.3 - Duties of Officers) and on the Election section of the USMS web site.
If after reading the materials you have questions about the role of USMS officers or the Nomination/Election process, please contact Cheryl Gettelfinger.