Name: Jim Clemmons
Nominated for: BOD Member from Oceana Zone
I believe that USMS has many great things to offer all swimmers. I also believe that, sometimes, people tend to focus on areas that are more beneficial to themselves, or a select group, and not the parent organization as a whole. I believe that by being more involved, I will be able to assist in helping grow our membership and lend support to ideas that will continue the current trend towards a healthy future. We are currently experiencing significant changes within the organization and it is imperative we communicate anticipated changes to the membership as far in advance as practical. I look forward to working with others to meet these goals.
Response to Questions
Why are you interested in this position and why do you believe you would be a good candidate?
I enjoy interacting with all the different personality types which are drawn to swimming, whether it is with the competitive or totally non-competitive swimmer, the fitness and/or “just there for the social aspect part of it” swimmer, the pool swimmer, the open water swimmer or the triathlete. I am interested in representing the Oceana Zone’s many faceted types, their interests, and as I am very much a goal oriented person, I believe I will be helpful with achieving USMS organizational goals going forward.
What do you consider to be the major issues facing USMS now and in the future. As a person holding an elected position within USMS, how would you address these issues?
I believe USMS is undergoing some growing pains. Nothing serious, nothing that will lead to organizational collapse, but, as we are continuing to transition from a volunteer based organization to a business with a paid leadership staff, we have some hurdles to overcome with some elements of the general membership. Attention must be paid to the varying levels of participation types, whether or not it fits into personal goals, aiming for the success of the organization as a whole.
Please list USMS committees on which you have served. Include the dates you were on the committees and the names of the committee chairs under whom you served:
- Coaches Committee, Bob Bruce, Mo Chambers, Chris Colburn chair, dates: 2006, 2007 and 2008
- Finance Committee, Ralph Davis chair, dates: 2008 and 2009
- Championship Committee, Jeff Roddin chair, dates: 2010, currently serving
Please list any other experience that relates to your qualifications for the position.
- Vice-Chair, Operations, Pacific LMSC
- Board of Directors member on team that I have been swimming with for the past 11 years, Manatee Aquatic Masters, Inc. The MAM team consists of approximately 250 swimmers with a relatively typical breakdown of participation levels with normal swimming related issues and challenges to contend with.
- Operations Manager for a large US defense contractor. Duties include oversight of Facilities, EH&S and Security functions for offices located in California, New Mexico and Colorado.