- Elections Home
Welcome to the 2018 USMS National Elections information page. The election will be held during the 2018 Annual Meeting of the House of Delegates. This election cycle, we will elect At-Large Directors (Breadbasket Zone, Colonies Zone, Dixie Zone, Great Lakes Zone, Northwest Zone, Oceana Zone, South Central Zone, and Southwest Zone). Descriptions and duties of the officers are contained in ARTICLE 506 of the Code of Regulations. Processes for the election are governed by the current Election Operating Guidelines. If elected, you will need to attend a mandatory BOD meeting which will be held immediately after Convention Sunday morning. Please read all information carefully and refer to the Election Schedule in APPENDIX A of these guidelines to avoid misunderstandings.
NOTE: Floor nominations will be taken at an early House of Delegates meeting but before the Zone Meetings. All floor nominees must have a second and must turn in a nomination packet (both hard copy and electronic) before the close of nominations in order to be placed on the ballot.
Nominations will be accepted for At-Large Directors positions from each Zone:
- Breadbasket Zone
- Colonies Zone
- Dixie Zone
- Great Lakes Zone
- Dan Cox (seeks re-election)
- Northwest Zone
- Oceana Zone
- South Central Zone
- Ed Coates (seeks re-election)
- Southwest Zone
In accordance with our Election Operating Guidelines, the Committee may extend the nomination period two weeks for any office that has no Nominees. The time for any extension shall be determined by the Committee and announced at the time of the extension.
The election committee will accept floor nominations for all at-large director positions at convention during designated HOD meetings; however, all eligible candidates must submit proper documentation to be slated. The committee will follow up in a subsequent report to state which meeting is designated.
The nomination period is from March 1, 2018 through April 30, 2018.
- Nomination Packet - This is a Word file containing instructions and the Candidate questionnaire.
- Template for Letter of Nomination or Endorsement
- Current Election Operating Guidelines - The guidelines govern the election process and inform you of the requirements you will need to fulfill as a candidate.
- Creating an Electronic Signature
To be eligible for nomination, candidates shall:
- be members in good standing of U.S. Masters Swimming for the year when the election is held;
- have attended two or more USMS annual meetings of the National House of Delegates in the preceding five years; and
- plan to attend the annual meeting of the National House of Delegates for the election year in which they are standing for election, and plan to attend all House of Delegates meetings during their tenure. Explanation of the duties of officers can be found in the 2018 USMS Code of Regulations and Rules of Competition (Article 506– Board of Directors) and on the Election Section of the USMS Web Site.
If after reading the materials, you have questions about the role of USMS officers or the Nomination/Election process, please contact Elections Committee Chair Cheryl Gettelfinger via email.