View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Dead tired

by , April 6th, 2010 at 09:23 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Swam with the kids today. They are not doing as much these days with the transition between seasons. Still, this workout really wore me out! On a positive note, I think I figured out what I was not doing on my fly. I wasn't working the upbeat of my kick enough. Once I started working it, found that I went much faster!

The workouts with the kids have been really good for me as it has really improved my aerobic conditioning. Supposedly, the better conditioned one is, the less problem with POTS. What is really challenging is pushing to get past the hump of feeling tired all the time so that you can get in better condition. I know that 6 months ago, I may not have been able to do the 24 x 50 set (3 rounds of 8 x 50 hard) all the way through without some HR issues. No problems today, so this is progress that I am excited about!

Anyway, here is the workout:

Warm-up: 400 Reverse I.M.
    4 x 50 on :50
    100 dolphin on back

6 x 200 on 3:00 - did first 3 free, and second 3 back with paddles

8 x 100 on 2:00 - I.M., fly/free/fly/free, back/free/back/free, breast/free/breast/free, 100 free, fly/free/fly/free, back/free/back/free, breast/free/breast/free

3 rounds of 8 x 50 with 1 minute rest between each round - do two 50s of each stroke on 1:00

4 x 100 - 25 underwater/75 easy - 1 minute rest

200 easy

4500 SCY
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Back after a short break.

by , April 6th, 2010 at 05:29 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    I missed swim on Saturday, pool is closed on Sunday and the water was too cold (72°) yesterday. It was 79° today which was perfect.

400 swim alt. 100 free/100 back
    300 pull, half free and the rest on back concentrating on DPS
    200 kick as 100free w/board, 100 on back
    100 easy free

swim 8 x 150 on 2:30: odds free, evens back; keep the stroke count and times consistent free, and descend the back to about 90%
    (on free was holding 16 spl and swam between 2:06 and 2:12
    On back spl was 17-18 and times were 2:15, 2:12, 2:10, 2:05)
    50 easy

kick w/fins 8 x 75 on 1:30 choice; descend 1-4, 5-8
    (with zoomers, 1-4 free w/board went 1:10->:58, 5-8 on back went 1:15->1:00)

150 easy swim down
    --

Total: 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Bummer, April 6

by , April 6th, 2010 at 04:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Pouting First:

My meet this weekend is apparently cancelled for insufficient attendance. Oddly, it doesn't indicate this on the PV masters website and I didn't receive an email to that effect. I found out on FB from other swimmers who were notified. WTF? Did my entry form get lost in the mail again?! Really bummed about this as I was hoping to get some much needed start practice and speed work as well as times in a couple events. 2010 has been a tad disappointing so far. The Richmond meet was marred by blizzards and cramps. The Albatross meet was marred by the flu and a stolen suit. Now this meet is cancelled. I think this may be the first year I don't have a tapered time in the 50 free. And I was hoping for a re-do of another event. Crap. I also may change my Zones events in light of this.

Swim @ Oak Marr w/Speedo:

At least I had a workout buddy today! Speedo and I tried out a Rich Abrahams set. It was definitely more speed work than a true lactate set, though my legs were burning by the end. The 3 x 100 AFAP set is far worse.

Warm up:

800 various

Transition Set:

10 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = swim
    evens = backstroke kick

I didn't feel so great on these. I was sore and felt like I was moving through jello a bit.

Speed Set:

4 x broken 100s @ 9:00, done as follows:

1 x 50 swim AFAP @ 1:00
    1 x 25 swim AFAP @ :30
    1 x 25 kick AFAP @ :30

200 EZ after each

I did mine with fins, as I am wont to do with speed work. I think I should have been slightly faster on these. However, given that I am sore and tight, the times weren't too bad. #2 was the best and #4 was the worst and hurt the most. My legs gave out on the last 25 kick.

#1 = back
    25 + 12 + 12 = 49

#2 = back
    24 + high 11 + 12 = high 47

#3 = breast
    30 + 15 + 15 (swam this) = 1:00

#4 = fly
    24 + 12 + 12 = 48

I was gasping and panting a lot more than Speedo on these. I think he was loafing.

Total: 2500

Massage:

Had a massage today to help ease soreness and prep for the now cancelled meet. Oh, well, I really needed it. She said I was tighter than usual. I guess with the intensity of my workouts, I need to stretch for a period of time every day and not just rely on periodic yoga to keep me loose. Now, I am off to mull over my Zones entries and re-decide what to swim. Since the 100 IM is my 6th event for Nats (and could be cancelled since I refuse to time ), I'll have to stick with that one.

I'm going off the wagon and having a glass or two of chard tonight. I can't tell any damn difference anyway!

Some ab exercises:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU5BE8opXTA"]YouTube- Six Pack Abs Great Abs Exercise "Exercises Abdominals"[/nomedia]

Updated April 7th, 2010 at 12:06 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Test Sets
  4. I'm back ... again ...

Okay I've been terrible about blogging (again). Fortunately I've been training just not writing about it. I'm playing with my schedule trying to figure out what makes sense for me for the next month before I start my nationals taper.

Last night:

I did an hour or so of dryland. Lots of legs ... plyos, squats, jumps, etc.

I finished up with some core work and bands. I was pretty fried by the time I got into the pool. Over the last several months I've been swimming in the morning then doing dryland at night so I have not had the back to back.

Warm-up:

400 swim
    100 kick (did it backstroke with my new nose clip - very strange but I like it!)

5 x 100 (kick, fist, catch-up, swim by 25) on 2:00

6 x 25 build on :30

Main set 1 (also known as death by sprinting)

100 on 4:00
    2 x 50 on 1:45 (went fly then free)
    4 x 25 on :45

It was all, all out sprint. I killed myself on the 100 and the 50 fly which made the 2nd 50 free quite painful and rotten. The 4 x25 I actually held under 15s but I think that was sheer luck as I am sure I was nearly dead by the start of those.

200 ez recovery

5 x (50 kick on 1:10, 100 IM on 1:40, 150 free on 2:15)

I modified it to do a 150 kick/150 swim (I did the first 50 kick free with a board and the second 100 IM kick). I did the 150s on 2:20 to allow a bit of recovery after the kick - my body was quite done by the end and my calfs were tightening with each push off the wall.

My coach convinced me to try to sprint kick shooters at the end ... got half way down the pool doing fly kick and my right calf cramped hard. Oh well ...

Tonight I'm going to do some nice easy endurance kick. 500s with long fins, 100s and 200s with zoomers. MAYBE some sprint kick.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Re-cap of 2010 SCY in-season meets:

Meets, Reverse Chronological, Leading up to Nationals

New England Championships, Boston, Mar. 2010:

This was a great experience, as it was the first big meet I'd been to as a Masters swimmer. Didn't realize it at the time, but I was swimming very tired at this point. Immediately felt drained and out of breath in each race over this 2-day meet. But, made a moral victory out of it by continuing to race hard and not let frustration sink in. And this meet was perfect as a final lead-in to Nationals, as I (in retrospect) needed some stiff competition from swimmers who were rested, or just plain fast. Served as a wake-up call going into the end of the season. I couldn't have scripted it any better than that!

Burlington CC Meet, NJ, March 2010:

The increased yardage paid off, as I took about 24 seconds off my first 500 back in Oct 2009. Did poorly in the 50 back, but mainly due to an unusually bad start. Teamed up with some 1776 people for a 200 Fr relay. Lead off with what one of my relay-mates called a '23-something' (the timing system wasn't working right). For me, that's pretty good.

UMBC, MD Meet, March 2010:

Went slower in the 200 Free than I expected, and was still tired when the 200 Back came along. Came away from this meet deciding that I needed to shift training away from weights, cardio & dryland, and become an actual 'swimmer' again by ramping up yardage.

Severna Park, MD Meet, Feb 2010:

Two meets before this were cancelled due to snow, so I came to this meet determined to swim really fast for in-season. Did a 58.7 in the 100 back, the first time I did as a Masters swimmer that I considered to be 'good', from an age-group perspective. Also did the 50 Fly and 50 Breast, with decent times.

USMS National One Hour postal swim, Jan 2010:

Was still trying to shake the lost week of training due to a cold, but again decided to show up for the hour postal. It felt pretty good, considering I was really in no shape to attempt swimming for an hour straight! Who was it who said 99% of life is showing up?

Boyertown Y Meet, Jan 2010:

Had just gotten over a cold, which wiped out an entire week of training (and only had 2 weeks of training before that!). Swan terribly, but decided to make it a moral victory by showing up, at least.

Pottstown Y Meet, Jan 2010:

Took a long hiatus due to the Holidays, but decided to attend this meet anyway with only 5 days of training. Did well in the 200 Breast, but was still tired due to lack of training when the 200 Free came around. Gutted it out and won both races.

Sussex Y, NJ Fall Meet, Oct 2009:

My very first meet as a Masters swimmer. Did the 200 and 500 faster than I expected (I guess I didn't really know what to expect!), winning both. Everyone was very friendly and helpful; as I found out, Masters swimmers are always friendly and helpful!

Season Overview:

I'm coming to the end of my first season as a Masters swimmer. It was Phelps in Bejing that gave me the itch to compete again, mainly b/c he's an IMing, FLYing, middle distance generalist like I was. Obviously Phelps is on a way higher level, but the similarities astounded me. And I hadn't paid any attention to swimming on any level for several years. Suddenly I began thinking 'hmmm, what if I were to swim again in Masters?'. I kicked around the idea for more than a year before committing to it. I even bought one of those crazy tech suits! We didn't have those back in the day. My tech suit makes me feel like Batman or something.

I'm headed to YMCA Masters Nationals in Ft. Lauderdale in a few weeks. Rowdy Gaines is entered in it! I wonder if he'll actually show up. I'll try to get a picture with him. Hopefully he's not too much of a 'celebrity' to spare a few moments for his peeps.

Colonies Zones is the week after that. Looking forward to seeing many of my 1776 teammates. We're a far-flung team with many workout groups; I haven't met too many people so far, with the notable exceptions of Laurie Hug, Chris McGinley, Rich Reshetar, Chirs Dana, Janet Moeller, Russ Deherder, and Tom Patterson, who has been my Masters 'answer-guy'. Thanks Tom! Looking forward to putting together some fast relays with some of these guys...break some records, win some gold, get some top 10 times.

A funny thing happened one day at practice at UMLY while tapering for Y Nationals. The guy in the lane next to me struck up a conversation (I guess he saw my USMS cap). He guessed (correctly) that I was going to Nationals, asked what events I was entered in, and so on. At one point I asked him his name, and he says “I’m Bill Specht”. I blurt out “YOU’RE BILL SPECHT?!?” I had recently come to know him as a long-established Masters Swimmer who owns some very fast USMS and YMCA national records by pouring over lots of Masters Swimming results (he‘s usually listed as ‘William Specht’). But beyond that, he’s also from New Jersey originally, just as I am. So even before I came to know him as a Masters Swimmer, I vaguely knew who he was as a kind of foggy legend from my early childhood, out of our shared ‘mythic past’ of New Jersey swimming (he‘s about 15 years older than me, I think). For some reason I want to say he swam for Peddie, but I can't really be sure. Anyway, I later told my older brother, who is aged roughly halfway between myself and Mr. Specht, about this encounter, he his reaction was ‘Yeah, I remember Bill Specht, and he was awesome.’ So Bill and I spoke a little more, and eventually I said goodbye and hopped out. Bill wished me luck at Nationals and went back to doing fly kick with a board. He was very polite and unassuming. So how funny is that? In retrospect, meeting him right before Y Nationals was an uncannily good omen, as he used to go to Y Nationals almost every year, I think. Some of his records still stand. I didn’t set any records, but I do think some of his magic rubbed off!

So my first season in Masters has been a funny experience. Coming back to swimming is strange; it's very familiar, yet it's also like doing it for the first time. Almost like my earlier swimming career was a dream, or a past-life or something. I was away from the sport for 15 years, I guess that's why. It's been a funny trip down memory lane.

Updated April 15th, 2012 at 10:44 AM by Undeniable

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Tue Apr 6th 2010

by , April 6th, 2010 at 10:19 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tue Apr 6th 2010

SUBSCRIBE to Ande's Blog

South Central ZONES PSYCH SHEET

3 Days till the 2010 South Central SCY Zone Championships. I'm resting and getting ready to race but will lift through it
    Plan to lift Wed & even a light lift on Fri, so I can get back to weights on Monday 4/12

My right knee hurt a little today

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Swim Center
    scy, main pool
    whitney coached
    6:30 to 8:00
    swam with Mike Nate Tyler & Ed
    beside Todd Marcio & Brad
    wore B70 legs

Warm Up:

100 k
    4 x 25
    100 k
    4 x 25

MAIN SET

175 easy

25 fl fast for time
    whitney timed
    went 10.5

150 easy

50 fr at 100 pace
    went 24.1

175 easy

75 fr fast 200 pace
    went 38.9

150 easy

75 easy

75 easy

got out to make a 8:00 meeting

2010 MEETS:

April 9 -11 The Woodlands, TX Countdown
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    INFO

FRI
    02 1650 yard Freestyle 17:55.99

SAT
    04 400 yard Individual Medley NT
    06 50 yard Butterfly NT
    08 200 yard Freestyle 1:51.99
    12 100 yard Backstroke 54.9
    Relay/s

SUN
    28 100 yard Individual Medley 54.99
    32 200 yard Backstroke 2:29.99
    34 100 yard Butterfly 52.99
    40 200 yard Individual Medley NT
    Relay/s

SOUTH CENTRAL Zones MENS SCY RECORDS

May 20 - 23, 2010 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech Aquatic Center COUNTDOWN
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Order of Events

Updated April 6th, 2010 at 10:36 AM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Going thru the motions

by , April 6th, 2010 at 07:38 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Today was more of a going thru the motions swim. I weightlifted last night for the first time in years. Did not really hurt, just very stiff.

5x200@3:30 Free
    5x100@1:45 Free w/fins kick
    5x100@1:30 Free w/fins kick last one in 1:20
    200 Free easy
    6x50 from dive 20 yard sprints then easy
    10x50@1:00 Breast pull w/fins leg just following behind in dolphin motion
    500 Free w/snorkle alt 100swim/100kick

Total 3500 yards

Update: as the day wears on I am starting to feel the pain from my weight lifting settling in to my upper back muscles and arms. It has been along time since I weightlifted and perhaps I push myself too hard. I will only do this for the next 4 weeks and only for 3 days per week.

No leg work at all. I don't think my knees can handle it. I have enough issues with pushing off the blocks and walls. For now kicking is fine as long as I stay away from Breaststroke.

Updated April 6th, 2010 at 03:32 PM by Donna

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Run in the sun

by , April 5th, 2010 at 09:28 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Early this everning, son and I did a little practicing for his 1k run in a couple of weeks. I had measured the course previously on a bike. Had to wait until early evening to run because it was in the mid-80s today.

Ran a 1/4 mile to warm up and then ran a 1k at progressively faster speed. Walked/jogged 1/2 mile and then ran another 1k at a hard pace. Walked/jogged a 1/2 mile to cool it down.

It felt much easier to run on the road than in the field. I never realized how hard it was to run in the field until getting back on the road.

Hoping the run will help me shed the 3 pounds I need to get rid of to be down at ideal racing weight for Nationals. Need all the help I can get with all the Easter goodies in the house - candy sent by my mother and various baked goods.

One thing I really miss about training for triathlons is being able to graze all of the time and not be worried about what I eat. Still may do some tri training this summer after Nationals, but will just play things by ear for right now.

Updated April 5th, 2010 at 10:16 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Test Set 4/6/10

by , April 5th, 2010 at 07:11 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well today I felt all full of vigour so I got on with the business of tackling my test set. 10 x 100 1:30 usually this interval is jut too hard for me to get all the swims done...but today I approached it a bit smarter here is what I did.

Warm Up
    200 Kick I used fins and varied what kick I was doing.
    200 Pull with paddles
    200 Swim I did min as 4 x 50 and tried to get the rhythm I though I'd need for the Test.
    I probably got 2 minutes rest b/c I found a timer to get my swims.

Test Set
    10 x 100 FR 1:30
    I am not going to write the minute digit in.
    :16.16
    :18.22
    :21.17
    :22.79
    :21.60
    :21.56
    :24.0
    :24.71
    :24.17
    :23.79
    Thought from the timing coach was if I could get those first 2 out to 1:20 my drop off wouldn't have been so much...but still I brought it back a bit.
    6 x 50 EZ

Rested for a few minutes and chatted with friend.

Stroke Set
    12 x 50 BR 1:00 Every 4th fast
    9 x 50 BR 1:05 Every 3rd fast
    6 x 50 BR 1:10 Every 2nd fast
    4 x 50 BR 1:15 All fast
    I really felt like I got a good hold on this set too...felt good and although the fasts could have been faster...it was good, controlled BR.

Kick Set
    500 with fins moderate.

Cool Down
    350 in EZ 50's with some paddle and fins swims in there.

After this I went to lift for 45 minutes and got through that workout pretty well. All in all I am happy and pumped to make it through the test set so well. That's a victory for me on the 1:30 interval.
    Oh yeah, muscle milk.

Updated April 5th, 2010 at 07:34 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Abs & Arms, April 5

by , April 5th, 2010 at 05:34 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

Giving my still super sore calves a break today. Just focused on arms & abs in the gym. Didn't make it to the pool today because our gym pool still isn't open yet. But I have my nasty lactate workout with Speedo tomorrow anyway. If I were Geek, I'd be feeling nauseous already.

broomstick twists, 1 x 25
    seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 25
    external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm

seated narrow grip row, 100 x 2 x 10
    alternating hammers, 17.5 x 2 x 30
    handstand isometric, 1 x 1:00, 1 x 1:30
    straight arm plank w/feet on yoga ball, 2 x 1:30
    med ball slams, 3 x 10
    isometric at extreme angle for tricep/bicep w/10 lb DBs, 2 x 1:30
    elevated push ups, 3 x 15
    pole vault twist w/45 lb bar, 3 x 15

russian twist on incline bench w/25 lb plate, 3 x 25
    total ab machine, 100 x 2 x 25
    hip pulse ups on bench, 2 x 15
    dead bugs on bosu, 2 x 25
    good morning darlings on bosu, 2 x 25
    back extensions w/25 lb plate, 1 x 15 (forgot other set)

Some Other Exercises:

Scorpion Lunge:

Here's an interesting twist on a standard lunge/squat. I think one needs knees of steel for this.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBA2PPo-oWc"]YouTube- USA Scorpion Lunge Unique New Lunge Variation[/nomedia].

Side Plank Thrust:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFwVeE1rDQY&feature=related"]YouTube- Bodyweight Exercise for the Core — CST Side Plank Thrust[/nomedia].

alternating lunge jump:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlHAtKNMtNk&feature=related"]YouTube- Bodyweight Exercise Lunge Jump For Legs of Steel[/nomedia].

This is a good one. I haven't done it in awhile.

Articles:

P90X on Nutrition:

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...id=96636486820

Making Swimming More Popular?

http://www.theathletevillage.com/blo...-will-definite

High intensity training:[/B]

http://www.bodyweightcoach.com/03/in...sity-workouts/

Commentary:

I haven't been sleeping well lately, so I was pretty groggy this am. Felt better after working out. And I think I'll feel much better after my massage at 2:00 pm tomorrow afternoon! I hope something can be done about my sore calves. I'm a mess right now. lol. And in keeping with my klutzy nature, I tripped on the stairs last night and have a huge bruise on my shin. And a glass plate fell out of an overhead cupboard and gashed my forehead. And I was just recovering from the kneecap incident. Sheesh!

Updated April 5th, 2010 at 10:27 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  11. Zombie Grog: Radical Cure

by , April 5th, 2010 at 05:14 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Easter Sunday, I woke up at 10 a.m., having gone to sleep the previous midnight. I fought my way out of the bag of profound grogginess that separates my sort of nights from my sort of days, grabbed a 100 mg Provigil tablet http://www.provigil.com/ , carefully negotiated the downstairs steps, set to brew my typical 8 cups of coffee (which actually translates into 3 nice sized mugs), fed the dogs, fed myself, read the paper, and waited for the caffeine-and-Provigil one-two kick to stir me to the 78 percent full consciousness which has become for me as close as I ever come these days to full consciousness.

By 11 a.m., the kick showed no signs of arrival. I had been awake for exactly one hour. I made my way to the couch. I lay down. I fell back to sleep. I woke up at 1:30 p.m., so stuporously groggy I was not sure if I was a sentient beast at all.

By 2:30, I was at my dear sister's house for an Easter feast of lamb and ham.

By 5:00, I was not only profoundly groggy again but as fat as I have been in years. I felt like one of those humongous sluggish flies that somehow resurrect themselves each spring in the space between your regular window and the storm window.

When one of these fatted springtime flies escapes inside your house, they buzz around in a sluggish, fat, droning, salute to all that is disgusting in the world today.

You can swat them easily, but you have learned not to, because they are just flying, meandering daubs of revolting goo that you want absolutely no trace of on your livingroom walls, or kitchen table, or baby's crib, or wherever else such creatures choose to take a momentary rest where the swatting process becomes child's play.

This is what I felt like, a revolting daub of goo that no one dares to swat and put out of our respective miseries, for fear of the permanent stain such mercy killing would leave.

The major difference between me and such a fly is that the latter has enough energy to fly, at least now and then.

I have only barely enough energy to alight on the baby's pristine crib, perhaps upon its little satin pillow, daring the angry parents to swat me while I take my next in an endless series of disgusting naps!

Last night, I did what human flies of my sort often do when plagued by a symptom as intractable and life-ruining as my persistent grogginess: I Googled it.

I shall not bore you with all the info I found on E.D.S., or excessive daytime sleepiness, but here is a brief excerpt of some of the stuff that seems to characterize my problem:

Excessive Daytime Sleepiness. As with the sleepiness of other sleep disorders, the EDS of narcolepsy presents with an increased propensity to fall asleep, nod or doze easily in relaxed or sedentary situations, or a need to exert extra effort to avoid sleeping in these situations. Additionally, irresistible or overwhelming urges to sleep commonly occur from time to time during wakeful periods in the untreated patient with narcolepsy. These so-called "sleep attacks" are not instantaneous lapses into sleep, as is often thought by the general public, but represent the episodes of profound sleepiness experienced by those with marked sleep deprivation or other severe sleep disorders. Epworth Sleepiness Scale scores of ≥15 are common in untreated patients.[5,6] In addition to frank sleepiness, the excessive daytime sleepiness of narcolepsy, as in other sleep disorders, can cause related symptoms including poor memory, reduced concentration or attention, and irritability.

and

Sleep Paralysis. Sleep paralysis is the inability to move, lasting from a few seconds to minutes, during the transition from sleep to wakefulness or from wakefulness to sleep. Episodes of sleep paralysis may alarm patients, particularly those who experience the sensation of being unable to breathe. Although accessory respiratory muscles may not be active during these episodes, diaphragmatic activity continues and air exchange remains adequate.

Readers of my vlog over the years will recall that I am no stranger to excessive daytime sleepiness, that I have posted my depressing Epworth Scores in the past, and have tried various measures to cure myself of the affliction.

I am seriously thinking this time of going to a doctor, getting a sleep study done in some basement chamber someplace, then trying to figure out the intersection of the curves of my remaining lifespan and the most unsavory symptoms of progressive meth addiction. I am thinking that if I start off with a very, very low dose of meth, and be extremely cautious in how much I escalate it, it will be hard for anyone but a forensic pathologist to tell if my before and after pictures were caused by meth or just the natural rotting process of an old man.

Okay. So anyhoo, last night I decided I can no longer live this way.

Sleep walking through my sort of life has been nice at times, but for the most part, it's kind of a drag.

I decided to try the following strategy:

1. stop taking anything that can possibly make me sleepy. Ambien (actually, generic zolpidem, same difference) and Nyquil are two substances whose entire raison d'etre is the inducement of somnolence. I quit both last night cold turkey. The result: I slept fitfully from 2 a.m. to 5 a.m., then fell back asleep till 9 a.m.
    2. be a harsh taskmaster when it comes to surrendering to grogginess. if the urge to nod off or nap becomes overwhelming, i will slap myself as hard as I can until the urge passes. if the urge doesn't pass, I will continue the slapping. it is very difficult to fall asleep mid-vicious self-slap. try it.
    3. take provigil religiously and drink coffee the way college girls drink Evian (Naive spelled backwards.) So far today, I have had my standard 8 cups this morning, and another 5 just a few minutes ago. I am sleepy, but the combination of Provigal, 13 cups of coffee, and facial slaps has thus far kept me awake.
    4. if i am on the verge of cataplexy, force myself on a death march. Again, difficult to fall asleep when you are walking. Perhaps walk along boulevards where speeding cars and 18-wheelers piloted by truck drivers no doubt as sleepy as I am might add to the stimulation.
    5. Possibly pull an all nighter tonight. I think my body is used to being sleep-coddled. If I can stay up for, say, 48 hours straight, then slowly reintroduce sleep on a more reasonable basis, perhaps I can teach my babyish body it does not need to be wrapped up in its sleep nut quite so much of each day.
    6. generally speaking, sum up all of the above with the following, easier-to-remember-when-passing-out-from-grogginess motto: Be hard on your weak self. Unbelievably hard. Ruthlessly punish all natural desire to sleep.
    7. It is conceivable there is some occult reason for my sleepiness that might be better remedied by seeing a doctor who knows what he or she is doing. Leave open the option to consult with one of these if the self-punishment route proves--after a reasonable trial of several years--less than effective.
    8. Sleep apnea is one common, perhaps even the most common, cause of male E.D.S. I have thought about performing a tracheotomy on myself to see if bypassing the potential nocturnal collapse of my soft palate and layrngeal membranes might restores a certain vigor to my zombie/half-dead fly existence. Perhaps it would be best to have a doctor do this, too.
    9. I shall keep you posted. Oh, how I crave to nod off right now.
    10. Slap! Slap-slap! Slap-slap-slappity-slappity-slap-SLAP!

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. More fun with graphs

This morning I did a scy workout with the Asphalt Green masters. Craig coached, and the workout seemed to go by incredibly fast—I was really surprised at the end that 1˝ hours had already flown by! Here’s what we did:

800 scy warmup

7 x 150 S/K/S

10 x 50 (25 dolphin kick on side, 25 fast FL, 1st 4 strokes w/ no breath) @ 1:10 [this was a fin set, but I went barefoot]

200 FL, doing 1 dolphin kick off 1st wall, 2 off 2nd wall, etc. up to 8 off 8th wall [ditto, I’ll have to remember to pack my fins when I swim here because we seem to use them a lot!]

100 fast IM [went 1:16]
    200 easy FR
    150 fast IM [?]
    300 easy FR
    200 fast IM [2:46]
    400 easy FR
    [This entire set was on 1:45 pace per 100, both IMs and easy FRs.]

200 WD

I felt really good at the end of this—I would have happily stayed in and swum more. Getting lots of rest between fast swims is an excellent thing.

So far this season I’ve swum 13 scy events. Here are my season-best times for each stroke (in ascending distance order):

FR: 27.25 / 59.56 / 2:17.58 / 6:11.42
    BK: 31.62 / 1.11.21
    BR: 35.52 / 1:19.74
    FL: 30.08 / 1:11.51
    IM: 1:09.54 / 2:37.49 / 5:33.43

I rated all these swims with Chris Stevenson’s ratings calculator, and graphed the results. Here’s what I came up with:

Just like my SCM graph, as the distance goes up, the ratings go down—the 2IM is the only anomaly. I have a chance to fix that this coming Sunday—I need to go under 2:35.92 to get that rating above my 4IM’s 84.1. (Making my graph prettier will be extra motivation!) I’ll also see if I can’t get my backstroke line to resemble my freestyle line more closely—I think it’s reasonable to expect a similar amount of dropoff from the 50 to 100 in those two strokes.

If I had infinite opportunities to post times, I’d swim all the 200 strokes, if only for the sake of a more complete data set and a niftier graph. I don’t feel the need to swim the 1000 and 1650, though—I already know exactly how the FR line would look with those events added.

Updated April 12th, 2010 at 02:45 AM by swimsuit addict (fixed graph back)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Mon Apr 5th 2010

by , April 5th, 2010 at 11:19 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Apr 5th 2010

did not swim or lift on easter
    Lifted this morning

SUBSCRIBE to Ande's Blog

South Central ZONES PSYCH SHEET

4 Days till the 2010 South Central SCY Zone Championships. I'm resting and getting ready to race but will lift through it

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Swim Center
    scy, main pool
    whitney coached
    6:30 to 8:00
    swam with Mike
    beside Nate, Max, tyler, & todd
    wore briefs

Warm Up:

3 x (400 something, 4 x 25)
    missed the first 400
    kicked a 200 in 2:36

MAIN SET

10 x 50 on 1:00
    2 rounds of
    1) 60%, 2) 70%, 3) 80%, 4) 90% 5) 25 race pace 25 easy

10 x 50 on 1:00
    1 - 5 25 fast kick 25 easy
    6 - 10 25 underwater 25 easy

2010 MEETS:

April 9 -11 The Woodlands, TX Countdown
    2010 South Central Zone Short Course Championships
    INFO

FRI
    02 1650 yard Freestyle 17:55.99

SAT
    04 400 yard Individual Medley NT
    06 50 yard Butterfly NT
    08 200 yard Freestyle 1:51.99
    12 100 yard Backstroke 54.9
    Relay/s

SUN
    28 100 yard Individual Medley 54.99
    32 200 yard Backstroke 2:29.99
    34 100 yard Butterfly 52.99
    40 200 yard Individual Medley NT
    Relay/s

SOUTH CENTRAL Zones MENS SCY RECORDS

May 20 - 23, 2010 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech Aquatic Center COUNTDOWN
    2010 USMS Short Course National Championships
    Order of Events
  14. 4/5: Team Practice

Last Team Practice before Asia. I leave the house Wednesday about the time I get back from practice, so no Wednesday practice for me.

Warm Up
    - 400 free
    - 150 kick dolphin/flutter/breast
    - 400 back
    Transition
    - 5x100 drill (fintertip drag, catch up, fist DPS, 1 arm, corkscrew)
    Main Set
    - 6x150 on 1:50 free (barely made the last two, 1st one 1:46)
    - 4x50 kick w/fins dolphin/free on 1:00
    - 8x50 back on 1:00 descend 1-4, went :35s on 4,8
    Cool down
    - 450 mix free/back ez

The 150s were good for me. Need to get them down to 1:40s on 1:50, but was happy to make them all. The interval was pretty tight from the start.

Usually, I am happy if I get one good set in a practice, but today I was happy with two. The 8x50s back I really went after and I went a :35 leading off the medley relay in December. Two :35s from a push was pretty good.

My descend looked like 57, 50, 42, 35. Both times. The extremeness of the descend was humorous in a painful way.

The shoulder was still bothering me over the weekend. Probably should have swam as it seemed fine while I was in the water today. We just moved offices last week, and I am wondering if the problem is related to how my desk is setup rather than shoulder press. It feels stretched out more than painful in the joint.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Shoulders still feel sore

by , April 5th, 2010 at 07:51 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I was trying to work the knots out in the muscles in my back this weekend but not enough to make today a good day. Lower back just hurt real bad so what do I do to fix that...fly.

500 Free
    500 Free w/paddles & bouy
    500 Free kick w/fins holding :50's per 50
    15x100@1:25 Free w/paddles & bouy
    500 Free kick w/fins holding :45's per 50
    200 1 arm fly
    200 Fly kick w/fins on back
    200 Fly kick w/fins on side
    200 Free easy
    200 Free drill

Total 4500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Team Swim + Yoga, April 4

by , April 4th, 2010 at 08:20 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCY @ GMU

Warm up:

I strolled in a bit late. The team did 1200; I did 800 various. There was very light attendance due to Easter. So I got my own lane.

Hypoxic Speed Set:

15 x 25 @ :40
    4 fast UW w/fins + 1 easy
    25 EZ

Aerobic Set:

6 x 250

Assigned:
    250 free @ 3:40
    2 x (200 IM + 50 choice) @ 4:00
    250 free @ 3:40
    2 x (200 stroke + 50 choice) @ 4:00)

Did:
    250 flutter kick w/fins & board @ 3:40
    2 x (200 IM drill, cruise + fast 50 flutter kick w/board, went 27s) @ 4:00
    250 flutter kick w/board & fins @ 3:40
    2 x (2 x 100 russian breast drill, with :20 RI, went 1:18s)

50 EZ

Speed Sets:

4 x 25 fast off blocks + 25 easy
    2 UW
    1 free
    1 back

Coach told me I was too deep on my backstroke start. She mentioned that I am probably used to pushing deep with the B70 and that will change without the suit. It took me awhile to get used to the B70, and really maximize my streamlines and breakouts. I sort of resent having to relearn it all. But, I won't think about that right now!

50 EZ

12 x 50 kick @ 1:00, no fins
    odds = fast
    evens = slow

On 1-6, I was going 37-38s on my fast backstroke kick. I decided to take more rest on the second half of the set. Skipped 2 50s. Went 35s on two fast ones.

200 EZ

Did 5-6 more starts off the blocks even though my calves were shot. I think I'm going to do 6 SDKs on my 50 fly start and breakout this weekend.

50 EZ

Total: 3750 + starts

P90X Stretch, 60 minutes:

I spent about 3 hours driving around and to BWI today in traffic. I got home and was very stiff. So I plugged in the P90X Stretch DVD. It's sort of a combo of stretching and yoga without the hard yoga. A few of the bikram poses are in this DVD. I skipped a couple of the shoulder stretches, which looked like the verboten ones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I think I have DOM from all the starts the other day. The outer soleus muscles in my calves are killing me. Feels sort of shin splinty. My legs were also still pretty tired today. I thought I'd feel better after a day off. So, reluctantly, I am going to have to do less leg centric workouts for a couple days. Re: DOM: http://laurensfitness.com/2008/01/04...our-body-heal/. When they're less sore, I'm going to try some drylands work with ankle weights on. Flutter kicking or good morning darlings on the bosu with ankle weights would make it harder.

Weekly Totals:

Swim, 4x, 14,150 yards
    Drylands, 2x
    Yoga 2x

Not too bad considering I was traveling and there was no nearby pool. The nicest thing was that, for a change, none of the workouts were solo!

Russian Breast Drill:

My 9 year old took a vid of me doing the russian breaststroke drill at the end of the Sewickley practice last Monday. As you can see, it gives you a really good hunch and lunge. And my head position is still off. Jimi is in the same lane, overreaching on his freestyle entry.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1d9CKbFoGk"]YouTube- Russian breast drill[/nomedia].

The Moob Video, Featuring Jimi:

Jimi has a habit of standing with his hands on his moobs instead of his waist. He demonstrates this in this short post-practice video. Bill and I make a short guest appearance.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvUGd0tNQD0"]YouTube- The Moob Video[/nomedia]

USTA disallows certain wetsuits and suits:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/USAT_...ules_1277.html

I had no idea wetsuits could be thicker than 5 mm. That's fat!

Overhead Squat: Ultimate Exercise:

http://laurensfitness.com/2008/01/21...mate-exercise/.

Freestyle Breathing:

Ran across this youtube vid on free breathing, which I suck at: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB4fJxMWX3U"]YouTube- Freestyle Breathing with Michael Phelps, Katie Hoff, & Bob Bowman[/nomedia].

Lower Back Exercises:

http://www.realsimple.com/health/fit...614/index.html

Gluten-Free:

I saw there was an article in Swimmer about gluten free swimmers. Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but will. I did somehow manage to gluten myself this weekend, which resulted in a icky neck rash. I think it was likely my dinner at Cafe Salsa (latin food) on Friday night. Marinades and salad dressings I think are my downfall ... I would have tried to grill the wait staff more, but they didn't speak very good English.

Calorie Consumption/Weight Loss, WSJ:

http://ow.ly/1udMn

Updated April 4th, 2010 at 10:01 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  17. Lazy Sunday in the city

Last fall I read an article about being a tourist in your own town. It said that most folks who lived in major cities visited key attractions only when hosting visitors. That’s largely been true of my time in New York City, and I resolved then to do more sightseeing on my own. I realized that I had not been doing a good job of that lately, so I devoted the morning to wandering around and being attentive to and delighted by the city.

Since it was Easter, I planned to walk over to 5th Avenue and see the Easter Parade. It’s not really a proper parade, but a street closure that allows everyone to stroll around and be seen in their holiday attire, like in the Irving Berlin song. I was hoping for some excellent hat sightings. Unfortunately, I didn’t see very many people dressed up—mostly just other people like me wandering about looking for something to look at. I think I would have had better luck if I had gone later in the day.

But in my walk over to 5th, I did enjoy the sights in Central Park, which is absolutely gorgeous this time of year when everything is beginning to flower. I walk through the park all the time to go places, but it’s different when you are actually looking at things and not worrying about being a certain place and a certain time. It was short-sleeve and sandals weather today, but the ice rink was still open. I stopped and watched the skaters gliding in the sunlight for a while, and took a picture. I thought about going home and getting my ice skates, but decided I was enjoying wearing my sandals too much today to take them off!

On the way home I stopped by the MAD museum (Museum of Art and Design) at Columbus Circle to see an exhibition I’d been wanting to go to (and which closes tomorrow), and then by Lincoln Center to sit in the sun by the fountain and bask for a bit. And then home, all before lunchtime.

In the afternoon, I did a rowing workout at the Y with my husband. Here’s what we did:

6 min. warmup w/ drills
    2 min. rest
    6 min. piece
    2 min rest
    2 x (4 min. piece, 2 min. rest)
    2 x (2 min. piece, 2 min rest)
    2 x (1 min. piece, 2min. rest)
    6 min. warmdown

Nothing about rowing hard today felt fun or good, so I just took it easy and kept Mr. Addict company while he put up some nice numbers. (My fastest pieces today barely broke 2:10). But it did get me loose enough to do a good round of stretching, which felt great after all the swimming I did yesterday.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Gearing up!

by , April 4th, 2010 at 02:52 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Hard to believe there is just 7 weeks until Nationals. I've been trying to follow a very general plan and so far, seem to be on track. After the Auburn meet in mid-February, the plan was to take it easy for a couple of weeks. In March, the plan was to get my yardage up to what I was doing before tapering for Auburn. Was surprised I was able to get my average back up with having been sick during March, but somehow it all added up. For April, would like to get my weekly average up about 2,000 yards, continue with the heavy weights, and do some kind of running twice a week.

Started a week of deload on my weights yesterday. On the current plan, I do three weeks heavy and one week of deloading which is light weights or exercises using body weight. Will finish up deload on April 9 and resume heavy weights around April 11. Will continue the heavy weights until April 30 and then do a week of deloading, finishing up on May 7. From that point, I won't do any weights or body weight exercises until after Nationals.

On swimming and running, once May hits, I'll trim back from what I do in April. Definitely won't do any running 10 days before Nationals. With swimming, I'll probably follow the same general plan I followed for Auburn.

Yesterday, got a quck 2,000 yard swim in. Workout is as follows:

400 Reverse I.M. to warm up

3 x 300 free on 4:00 - first 300 with paddles and buoy, second 300 with paddles, third 300 no equipment

100 easy

4 x 75 dolphin kick with board (no fins) on 1:30 - hold under 1:10

100 dolphin kick on back with fins

4 x 25 AFAP fly with fins on :45

100 easy

In the afternoon, got in a quick and tiny deload workout:

1 set of 20 push-ups
    1 set of 100 bicycles
    1 set of 50 good morning darlings

Today is all about enjoying the Easter holiday - Easter egg hunt, church, good food, nap, and being thankful for all the blessings in life.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Swimming the hangover off & dodging the hormone war at home!

by , April 3rd, 2010 at 06:15 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    A fun packed Saturday at the Stud house. I went off to swim away the drunky and got about 2000 in. I come home to find 2 females going back and forth like a verbal Ali vs Frazier...anyhow.. here is the swim.

5 x 100 snorkel
    5 x 100 P with paddle and fins

6 x 25 Fly on :45
    Some of the swim team guys were there so I let them play with the monofin and ultimately as you would expect after that came machismo and races.
    25 FLY very close race even though I got off to a great start..
    25 BR I got a great start and held off the younger guy. Meh only 25's doesn't say much.

Then we combined forces and had a 200 FR relay and we shot for a 1:45 but got 1:51 but not bad...for untapered and after a few weeks off for them.

After that we went for a 200 Medley, I anchored this one...we shot for a 2:05 but got a 2:08 we were all fairly happy with it and it was fun to do . Good training for me on the relays exchanges too.

A couple of 50's EZ in there for a loosen off after.

After that I did 400 or 500 monofin on my back.

Calling it 2000

Updated April 3rd, 2010 at 10:13 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. My Metrocard got a workout today too

This morning I swam the 6am workout with the AG masters. Here’s what we did:

500 LCM warmup

1000 second warmup (100K, 400 IM drill, 400 FR, 100 fast) [went 1:24 on the 100 fast]

9 x 100 pull (with buoy between ankle), odds holding donuts (from lanelines—ie another way of doing fist drill), evens w/o donuts [my pull buoy decided to celebrate Easter early by impersonating The Runaway Bunny throughout this set. Yes, I went and retrieved it, wherever it went, for it was my little pull buoy. (This didn’t mean I wasn’t reaalllly happy to toss it back in the bin once we finished this set. Bon voyage, little bunny pull buoy!)]

5 x 200 FR @ 3:30 [Because I was doing the time trial this afternoon and didn’t want to stay for the entire workout, I gave myself a get-out time of under 3 on the last one of these, and made it. Then I ended up staying for most of the next set anyway because using my fins seemed fun.]

7 x 100 Kick with fins @ 2:00 [was holding 1:35ish on these—there were actually 10 in the set, but I converted the last 3 to warmdown]

300 warmdown

Then I went home, napped, lunched, and was back across town by 1 for the time trials. Here’s how I did:

200 Free: 2:17.58 (33.11, 35.63, 35.10, 33.74)
    My 100 splits on this (1:08.74, 1:08.84) are pretty, if you are the sort of person who believes that 200s should be even split. The 50s are not so pretty—I probably backed off a bit too much on the 2nd 50. I felt like I had an awful lot of kick left on the last lap, and the splits confirm that I probably swam this too conservatively. This time does count as an age group best by virtue of being the only 200 yard FR I’ve swum in the last heavens-knows-how-long.

100 FL: 1:11.51 (35.41, 36.10)
    I probably should have taken this out a bit faster too. I breathed 2/1/1/ on the 1st and 3rd lap, and every 2 on the 4th lap, but went to breathing every stroke on the 2nd lap. I think I could have stuck with the 2/1/1/ or even gone 2/1 the whole way, and that probably would have helped maintain my rhythm better. If I swim this again I’ll have more confidence that I can do the more limited breathing for the entire race and not die.

100 BK: 1:11.21 (35.35, 35.86)
    So backstroke beat butterfly today—this is how I know I’m not a real butterflyer! The funniest thing about this race is that I decided to use my noseclip, just to see if it made me feel more secure about doing more underwater kicking without choking to death. Off the first turn I felt really great, did more kicks than usual, and told myself that I definitely needed to use the clip from now on. Then I realized that I wasn’t actually wearing the nose clip. I had lost it on the start. (I had stretched it out in practice the other day so that it would be more comfortable, and that’s probably why it came off.)
    My take-away from this is that on the occasions that I feel like I’m choking off a turn (and this happens once every 3 or 4 races or so), it probably has more to do with going into the race worried, and being hypersensitive to any water that gets in my nose. When I feel more relaxed and confident, that little bit of water doesn’t bother me.
    So should I wear the nose clip anyway, just for the boost in confidence it might give me?

My main takeaway from today is that I am in pretty good shape—I finished all my races well. Knowing that, I should be brave and take out my swims a bit harder the next chance I get to race, which will be next week, when I’ll get another crack at my 100 BK, as well as 200 IM, 50 BR, and 100 IM.