View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. After

by , November 27th, 2010 at 12:09 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)

Readers of Before will recall that following practice and various sweat-inducing heat treatments both dry and wet, I weighed-in at 176.50 on Thanksgiving Eve.

My hypothesis was that the next time I officially weighed-out following the Thanksgiving engorgement and Friday's swimming practice, the scales would register somewhere in the upper 180s to lower 190s.

Fortunately, the hypothesis failed to be corroborated by the actual data.

Here is a brief chronology of the 48 hours between the weigh-in and the weigh-out:

* I went home Wednesday night and cooked 8 porkchops on our Weber grill. My sons together ate three of them, more or less. I ate the remainder. When I was done with mine, I scavenged the considerable amounts of meat that had not been gnarled from the bone by my sons. I then gave the remaining tissues to my pugs, Lefty and Biscuit, who were able to find additional sustenance. All that was left of the 8 pork chops was a bunch of very splintery bone fragments of the sort that I have learned from experience to avoid at all costs stepping on barefoot in the darkness. Actually, you do not even need to be barefoot to want to avoid stepping on these bone splinters: I have ruined a pair of perfectly good year-old Route 66 $19.99 K-Mart "winter sandal" slip-on shoes by so misstepping in the darkness--and still lacerated my ball of foot!

* I followed this meat up with 4 Pepperidge Farm "entitlement" Sausalito cookies. The entitlement aspect came from having swum hard at practice. But I also consumed these cookies because of a Thornton family tradition: the need to stretch ones stomach on Thanksgiving Eve to prepare it to accommodate a literally sickening load of foodstuffs the following day.

Note: Pink Floyd famously asked, "How can you have your puddin' {or, in my case, 4 Pepperidge Farm "entitlement" Sausalito cookies} if you don't eat your meat?" My answer: "But I did eat my meat! All 5 porkchops plus remainders of my sons' 3!"

* I had the dregs of my last bottle of Nyquil, one 37.5 mg pulvule of Effexor XR (which, alas, does not seem to be countering the hibernal gloom all that effectively, especially when one factors in the prospect of Marshalsea Debtor's Prison once again looming in the near distance, and the occasional revolting memory of sexual leprosy scares from the past); read a few pages of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (marveling how, when I first began this series, I was devastated by Stieg Larrson's premature death, but by book #3, am becoming more and more at peace with it); hooked myself up to the CPAP machine; turned on Hatertainment radio for 30 minutes to lull me into dream land; and drifted off to fat-storing oblivion where my leptin and ghrelin levels could do their shilly-shallying waltz of obesity-inducement.

* I woke up rather late, at least for the post-CPAP era, and ate granola, dried cherries, walnuts, 6 cups of coffee, and for dessert a 200 mg. tablet of Provigil. I then began doing battle with our financial situation, which is to say, throwing pebbles impotently at the sucking vortex that is the Final Destination for spendthrifts like me. Ah, how fondly I remember those days of yore when I actually felt like a kind of human being! These days, and by these days, I mean every single second of every single minute, etc., since I first took out a mortgage in Minnesota in 1987, I feel like an increasingly fallow field that is being tilled by dozens of pitiless farmers hoping to extract the final tidbit of croppage from my hide before I expire altogether and become suitable for little but the storing of spent nuclear waste!

* Bill called, and told me that he and his brother in law, Sean, were going to the Y and asked me if I was up for an Iron Infant (an ultrashort triathlon I invented which consists of 30-45 seconds on an exercise bike; a walk-run for approximately 200 yards to the locker-room; and from there to the Jacuzzi for a few minutes of "swimming" in the whirling heated waters.)

I met Bill and Sean at the Y, did about 60 minutes of Nautilus stuff (I hate weight lifting, as some of you may recall; but I have decided, purists be damned, to do these machines regularly because they are slightly less detestable than free weights and dry lands with all sorts of weird bocu balls and whatnot that I don't understand how anyone can enjoy), and thenI did the Iron Infant.

* Back home around 3 p.m., it began to seem like somebody should put the turkey in. A friend of my brother's gave me instructions on how to cook an 18 pounder in 3 hours: preheat the oven to 500 degrees and cook it uncovered at this temperature for 30 minutes; take it out and cover only the breasts with a bikini top of double folded foil; then stick it back in for another 2.5 hours at 300 degrees.

* I also made cornbread stuffing "snowballs" and jammed these into every orifice I could find, sealing one of them off with the Pope's Nose, and leaving the other major cavity open like a post-resurrection sepulchre.

* Between breakfast cereal and turkey preparation, I probably ate something, but the truth is, I can't remember what or even if I did.

* By 7 o'clock, everything hog-like was ready for insertion into my python-like alimentary canal. The little nuclear family sat down at our little dining room table. We discussed our various reasons for being Thankful this year. Then the engorgement began and, in my case, if not for the rest of my beloved relatives, said foodstuff packing did not stop till I was in a great deal of distress.

I was able to walk away from the table, which is something. Most years, this is not possible, I must get down on the ground and slither out to the couch and be helped up onto it in order to comfortably watch TV.

Granted, though upright and walking this year, I certainly was in not shape to walk lively, with a jouncy strut, if you will; I doubt I could have even completed an Iron Infant without hydraulic assist, so replete I was with turkey, stuffing, cranberries, mashed potatoes, gravy, and assorted other items that blend so nicely into a stomach-extending bolus.

And it was a good hour before I could eat sticky toffee pudding with Ben and Jerry's Hannah Teeter flavor ice cream plus whipping cream.

"How can you eat your sticky toffee puddin' with Ben and Jerry's Hannah Teeter flavor ice cream plus whipping cream if don't eat your meat?"

"But I did eat my meat! I ate half a turkey plus all that sausage in the lb. of cornbread stuffing I consumed!"

Then I watched some more TV, inhaled the final Nyquil fumes from the bottle, repeated my nightly pharmaceutical night cap, read more about Lisbeth Salandar's head wound, listened to more hatred as accompaniment to drifting off.

* I woke the next morning with very little in the way of appetite and thus had to force myself to consume a caramel and pecan and apple tart with whipped cream for breakfast along with the standard dosages of coffee and Provigil. I spent the rest of the day working at our Cafe. I was not hungry at all, but nevertheless shakey in that hypoglycemic way that afflicts me from time to time. My wife kindly recommended that I drink a SlimFast shake despite my feeling nauseated; this helped a bit.

At 4ish, I drove back home and ate a package of GU Chomps knowing that swimming practice was imminent. I rested a bit then went to practice early to check Leslie in.

I thought I had more Chomps waiting for me in my locker, but alas I only had 3 of the disgusting gel formulations. I sucked one and brought the other two to the pool deck, pretty sure I was going to have a hypoglycemic attack because of not eating much lunch.

The main A practice was only 2450 yards, but I did some extra pre-warm up so that my total was 3600. Thanks to the two extra packs of Gu gel, I was able to make it through the whole thing without seeing lights or feeling shakey.

However, the combination of breakfast tart, SlimFast Shake, and 4 packets of Gu, did not save me from cramps that started in my toes, moved to my foot arches, and then from these inaugural beachheads annexed my calves.

It was for this reason, no doubt abetted by character weakness, that my "sprint" 100s were pathetic: 1:00 and 59.99 respectively.

Afterwards, Leslie and I steamed and Jacuzzi'd. I took a hot shower and dried myself thoroughly and got on the scales.

Net increase over the Thanksgiving holiday:

.49 lb.

Readers of the third in my series on weight loss techniques may recall Jim's Melancholia Spa (TM), documented more fully here: Final Solution for Fatties Like Me

This Spa, I assure you, is not only a metaphor but also a place to which my life frequently dispatches me.

I cannot say I entirely recommend bivouacing here for weight loss. However, if you are of the genetic subtype for whom life's miseries decrease, rather than increase, your appetite for food, sex, consciousness, television viewing, etc., and if moreover you find yourself waylaid in a morbid state of mind, then I must say you can take consolation in the fact that your misery will surely help you wither!

Or should I say, you could take consolation in such a fact if the condition that makes weight loss so effortless did not simultaneously levy a tax of inconsolableness.

You win some and lose some, I suppose.

And all the while the pitiless farmers ready your hide for sowing their next, dwindling crop.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Mellow LCM morning swim

This morning I swam at Riverbank pool. I had one swim buddy for most of the workout, plus saw a few other teammates up there that I stopped and chatted with during the session. Here’s what I did:

1000 lcm warmup

8 x 50, odds K, evens swim, IM order

6 x 200, odds FR, evens IM, @ 3:30

100 easy

1 x 200 FR @ 3:15
    1 x 200 IM @ 3:15

200 easy

7 x 100 kick @ 2:30

400 pull w/o paddles

400 warmdown

Today’s epiphany: During the pull I was working on using a more cyclical arm stroke, with faster turnover and more continuous movement, and less pause in the front of my stroke. It occurred to me while I was doing this that many of the tweaks I am working on in my free—a 6-beat kick, faster turnover, rounder arm motion, earlier breathing—really need to be practiced together, rather than worked on separately. I played around with trying to combine them all for a bit during warmdown and it felt good. Doing a faster turnover might especially help me with the kicking, because right now the limiting factor is getting enough oxygen to sustain a strong kick during longer swims. With a faster turnover, I get more frequent breaths. Doing less of a catch-up stroke also seems to eliminate the need for a really strong downkick on each stroke that I currently use to get adequate rotation, while also helping me uncouple the head motion I use in breathing from the armstroke. I’ll play around with all this some more the next time I do an aerobic FR set and see how it affects my times. It would be nice if all this stuff really does turn out to be synergistic!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Fri Nov 26th, 2010

by , November 26th, 2010 at 07:49 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Fri Nov 26th, 2010

did not swim on thu, but ate way too much

Lifted weights today

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

Next meet is 8 days away:
    Masters of South Central Regional SCM Championships
    Sat Dec 4th & Sun 5th
    San Antonio, TX
    ENTERED more events than I plan to swim
    just wanted to give myself some choices:
    SAT:
    02 400 IM
    06 50 bk
    14 50 fr
    16 100 bk
    18 100 IM
    SUN:
    30 400 fr probably going for a split time
    34 50 br
    40 200 IM
    42 50 fl

just renewed my USMS membership for 2011
    Don't have a masters team?
    Register with Longhorn Masters

scy
    whitney coached
    UT Swim Center, Diving well, NO BLOCK
    Noon to 1:15, dove in 12:05 ish
    trained with Mike
    beside max, beth, jon, larry and james
    WORE yingfa jammer

WARM UP
    100 im
    200 fr
    100 k went 1:10

Main Set
    today we were given 5 choices of what to do on 1:15
    if i wasn't preparing for a meet i would have done
    48 x 100

we did
    2 x 100 on 1:15
    skip
    skip
    50 fast
    skip
    50 easy

went
    fly 25 25
    bk 25 25
    br 30 31
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -11/29/10

by , November 26th, 2010 at 02:09 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    4 X 100 1:40
    1 X 200 3:20
    4 X 100 1:30
    1 X 300 4:30
    4 X 100 1:30

1 X 200 KICK 4:20
    3 X 100 KICK 2:10
    8 X 25 SPRINT KICK :45

1 X 100 easy 2:00
    1 X 50 build 1:00
    1 X 50 fast 1:15
    Four times through. Choice

1 X 50 easy
    4 X 50 @100% 2:00
    1 X 50 easy

6 X 200 IM 3:30
    1-3: FRIM (sub free for fly)
    4-6: IM

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4900Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -11/26/10

by , November 26th, 2010 at 02:05 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    2 X 200 3:20 3:00
    2 X 150 2:30 2:15
    2 X 100 1:40 1:30
    Twice through

1 X 200 kick 4:20
    6 X 50 kick 1:10
    8 X 25 sprint kick :45

4 x {3 x 50 1:05
    Choice
    Swim the 50's: 2 moderate/1 fast

1 X 50 easy
    2 X 100 @ 100% 4:00
    1 X 50 easy

2 X 300 free 4:30
    2 X 200 IM 3:30
    3 X 100 best stroke(no free) 2:00

WARM DOWN: 4X 50 easy 1:00

4900Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Before

by , November 25th, 2010 at 06:14 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)

This weigh-in was:

* after scootering down to the Y thru the freezing pre-Thanksgiving air to swim practice with Bill and Leslie

* after pre-warming up in the Jacuzzi with Leslie

* after having swum practice with Bill and Leslie

* after having steambathed and Jacuzzi'd with Bill and Leslie

We shall see how much tonight's engorgement will affect tomorrow's post-practice weigh-out.

Oh, and as my Thanksgiving gift to my comrades across this great fractious nation, from churning sea to frothing sea, here is a bit of philosophy to ease your minds.

I discovered this gem of a film quite by accident last night. I used Google Desktop to find a favorite quote of mine from Marcus Aurelius, and in so finding, I also found my dear brother's movie, Stoical Storytime.

Really, it is very amusing and insightful simultaneously!

Never surpass the sense of your original impressions. Perhaps they tell you that a certain person speaks ill of you. That was their sole message; they did not go on to say that you have been harmed by him. Perhaps I see my child suffers illness; my eyes tell me so but do not tell me his life is in danger. Always keep to your original impressions; add no interpretation of your own and you remain safe. Or at the most add a recognition of the great world order by means of which all things come to pass.

--Marcus Aurelius

The film:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQM3PTXEr_c"]YouTube - Stoical Storytime[/nomedia]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Turduckens for breakfast

Today I was thankful to have not one, not two, but three swim buddies game enough to join me for my goofy turducken IM set up at Riverbank (plus at least one other, Patrick B, who swam it remotely)! It was a special treat to have Chaos come join our RB workout on his way to the beach. Here’s how the workout went:

1000 lcm warmup

4 x 150 K/D/S, IM order

Turducken set
    3 x 350 @ :05-:40 rest, done as
    100 FL / 50 BK / 50 BR / 50 BK / 100 FL
    100 BK / 50 BR / 50 FR / 50 BR / 100 BK
    100 BR / 50 FR / 50 FL / 50 FR / 100 BR
    100 FR / 50 FL / 50 BK / 50 FL / 100 FR

2x through
    4 x 100 FR or FR/BK, desc., @ 1:45
    :45 rest
    500 FR, neg. split, @ 7:45 [7:16?, 7:15]

300 pull with paddles

300 play + warmdown

Predictably for me, the turduckens felt good, but the freestyle set felt pretty hard.

After this, I took the bus back from Riverbank and went past the balloon staging area for the Macy’s parade. Some of the big balloons had already stepped off, but most were still there. It’s pretty cool to see them all in one area and watch the “balloon wranglers” (yes they really call them that) maneuvering them around.

Tomorrow will be a much-appreciated off day, then I plan to swim at the beach at least once and maybe twice this weekend.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Turkey Day 11/25/10

by , November 25th, 2010 at 09:37 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Assembled the majority of the Masters Team for a 5:30 swim.

500 Warm Up
    10 minutes social kick with fins
    8 x 150 2:00 4 SDK per wall
    10 x 50 1:00 Odds Stroke/evens Free ( I did BR on my Stroke)
    8 x 25 1:00 IMO
    2 x 200 P 3:15
    6 x 100 Fin swim
    300 Cool Down
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. 200 Miles!

I hit my year GTD goal of 200 miles today and bumped up my goal to 215.

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Swim @ Sewickley, Wed., Nov. 24

by , November 24th, 2010 at 09:34 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ Sewickley:

After a 5+ hour drive, I made it to the one hour Sewickley Masters practice coached by Bill White. Shared a lane with Jim, who did some real sprinting tonight.

Warm up:

400 EZ OMO
    400, 50 swim/50 kick @ 6:00
    300 kick w/some shooters @ 5:30

Main sets:

6 x 100 @ 1:40
    (Jim went very fast free; I swam leisurely backstroke.)

12 x 50 @ :50
    This was a swim set, but I did it 25 shooter + 25 back kick instead. Only hit the bottom twice.

8 x 50 @ 1:10
    This was supposed to be a 25 build + 25 EZ. I did it 15 meter burst dolphin kick (no fins) on my back + rest EZ. Admittedly not done with quite the same ferocity as my ATP-CP set with Speedo yesterday.

4 x 50 fast @ 1:30
    I alternated fast-EZ. Wasn't up to 4 fast 50s. Went fly (25, ugh, cramped) and breast (31ish).

200 EZ

Total: 3100

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I felt extremely sluggish in the water after yesterday's deep tissue massage and today's long drive. But I was so glad to get in the water and get some aerobic/hypoxic work in. Will take tomorrow off and then back to Sewickley on Friday. I may even do some drylands with Jimslie b/c he has re-commenced lifting. Shocking.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Wednesday, 11/24/10

by , November 24th, 2010 at 05:24 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

Today is the last day the Elko City pool is open this year. It will reopen on January 3. Until then I will be forced to run and do other cardio type workouts at the gym in order to try to stay in shape. I will get a swim in when I go to Boise to visit family but that will probably only be a couple times during the next 5 weeks. I could try to swim in the hotel pool as I have in past years but I doubt I will as my sinus can't tolerate the pool chemistry.

Here's what I did today:

Warmup
    300 swim
    300 kick, 150 w/board, 150 on back
    300 pull w/paddles, buoy and fins

Broken 1650, done as 11 laps - 15sr, 10 laps - 15 sr and so on down to 1 lap.
    Total time 24:52. After subtracting rest time of 2:30, the actual swim time was 22:22.
    This is about 30 sec faster than the last time I did this about a year ago.

Cool down
    300 easy back and free

Total: 2850 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Double: Fast Fri on Wed Nov 24th, 2010

by , November 24th, 2010 at 04:19 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Double: Fast Fri on Wed Nov 24th, 2010

decided to double since there's no Th practice & I probably won't train on Sun

Lifted this morning & right shoulder/ collar bone feels a little sore

Next meet:
    Dec 4th & 5th
    San Antonio, TX
    SAT:
    02 400 IM
    06 50 bk
    14 50 fr
    16 100 bk
    18 100 IM
    SUN:
    34 50 br
    40 200 IM
    42 50 fl

scy
    BESS coached
    UT Swim Center, Diving well, NO BLOCK
    Noon to 1:15, dove in on time
    trained in my own lane
    beside larry and David Van Dam
    WORE speedo PRO jammer

WARM UP
    15 minutes of 100 fr 50 k

Main Set

200 fr FAST
    went 1:56

150 2 beat kick
    50 6 beat kick

100 easy

100 fr fast
    went :52

50 2 beat kick
    50 6 beat kick

100 easy

50 fly fast
    went 24
    easy speed 6 - 8 SDKs off each wall

100 easy

assigned: 20 minutes swim
    did: several easy 50's & rested

assigned: 50 FAST in heats &
    skipped it

assigned: 100 easy &
    skipped it

assigned: 100 fast &
    Skipped it

assigned 100 easy & skipped it

200 IM FAST
    went 2:03
    26 59 1:35 2:03

100 easy

did a one on one SWIM FASTER FASTER SESSION today

worked with a teammate on her breastroke
    since my lane was empty
    she swam a fast 50 BR in it.
    she took 13 strokes on her first 25
    her push off streamline glide was way too short
    her arms went to the side on her pull out
    her kick looked too wide
    her arms & legs were in constant "fighting- each-other" motion

so I asked her if I could give her a few breastroke tips

She said "yes"

then I:

1) asked her to push off harder & glide further & hold her streamline longer

2) explained that the breastroke arm pattern has an
    outsweep, an
    insweep, & a
    thrust, and her insweep and thrust should be fast, then she should pause before starting her next stroke

3) told her to fire her legs back with narrow knees just as she finished her thrust

4) asked her to keep her head neutral,
    stay streamlined and "ride the glide" after each kick before she started her next stroke

she improved her technique and timing, her strokes per 25 dropped from 13 to 6

She was still kicking too wide and wound up too deep on her break outs but she made some significant progress and became a much more efficient breastroker now I wonder if these lessons will stick. Guess I should have told her, you've got to think about & keep doing these improvements until they STICK & become habit.

I also don't tell people what they are doing wrong.

I tell them the changes I want them to make

I keep the instructions short & the # of instructions short

Updated November 24th, 2010 at 06:57 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -11/25/10

by , November 24th, 2010 at 03:05 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    Thanksgiving morning workout. SCY

WARM UP:
    4 X 100 1:40
    4 X 75 descend 1-4 1:20
    4 X 50 descend 1-4 1:00
    1 X 200 kick -

16 X 25 with fins :50
    1-8: half underwater/half swim
    9-16: half swim/half underwater
    All underwaters are fast.

48 X 25 ALL OUT!

8 X 25
    1 X 100 easy
    Repeat 6 times through.
    Rounds 1-3-5 are best stroke/no free
    Rounds 2-4-6 are freestyle

Intervals:
    Round 1 :45
    Round 2 :40
    Round 3 :35
    Round 4 :30
    Round 5 :25
    Round 6 :20 or :25

Happy Thanksgiving
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Swimming with toys

This morning I swam at Riverbank—I’ve been getting awfully good value out of my monthly pass lately. Here’s what I did:

900 lcm warmup

3x thru
    4 x 100 FR/BK, desc. @ 1:45 [went 1:25, 1:25, 1:24 on the fast 100s]
    :45ish rest

500 pull with paddles [I tested out some new paddles, which I liked enough to keep.]

2 x 200 IM kick w/ fins
    1 x 300 IM w/ fins

600 w/d + drills

It was another gorgeous fall morning here--I felt happy watching the sunrise sky through the pool windows, and felt very mellow the entire workout.

This evening I might go over to watch some of the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade balloons being inflated--the staging area is not too far from my house. I often go over the morning before the parade and watch them taking the tarps off the balloons before they step off onto the parade route.

A Happy and Delicious Thanksgiving to all!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Thanksgiving Eve... 11/24/10

by , November 24th, 2010 at 12:36 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Is there such a thing as Thanksgiving Eve? Does there always have to be an Eve? Is there Hannukah Eve, no wait isn't Hannukah the evening anyhow? Eid Eve, who knows.. all I know it's meant to be a big feast after the fasting? Answers on a 3 x 5 postcard please...
    So today...yes I feel narrative again...I went in for a bit of an IM'ing..and I got one.
    good news is my fly is getting easier...not easy but easier--the death is less drastic. Anyhow...here is the swim
    Warm Up
    4 x 50 Fly 1:30
    200 FR

Main
    200 K I twanged my groin...calm down ladies...and had to stretch it off. Hmm, thought: Seems one cannot write about one's groin without it seeming smutty. Ho-hum. Anyhow I only did 150 due to the twang.
    1 x 200 IM 3.45
    2 x 100 IM 1:50
    4 x 50 IMO 1:00 died on the fly...
    8 x 25 IMO :30
    100 EZ

Main 2
    4 x 300 4:30ish 200 FR/100 Stroke Alt Weak then Strong. I decided to do this as 150/100 when I do Backstroke while triaing with my training partner...or the holidays would be over before I get through 75!

Kick Set
    500 Fin kick Tomb-stoning the flags in.

Cool
    400 EZ

Lifted after that...and went for a chocolate milk...hoping to recover for tomorrow's 5:30 am mass massters group workout...some of the crew are runnign a 5K after. I'm running home then to the fridge...peace out. Happy Thanksgiving All
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. FAST FRI on Wed Nov 24rd 2010

by , November 24th, 2010 at 11:24 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wed Nov 24rd 2010

Lifted this morning

Next meet:
    Dec 4th & 5th
    San Antonio, TX
    SAT:
    02 400 IM
    06 50 bk
    14 50 fr
    16 100 bk
    18 100 IM
    SUN:
    34 50 br
    40 200 IM
    42 50 fl

scy
    whitney coached
    UT Swim Center, main pool
    my lane had a starting BLOCK
    7:30 - 8:00 dove in 6:40ish
    trained with Jon & Darby
    beside todd, Davo, Jennifer, ned, kelly, & chris
    WORE Yingfa Jammer speedo PRO jammer

WARM UP
    15 minutes of 100 fr 50 k

Main Set

200 fr FAST
    went 1:54

150 2 beat kick
    50 6 beat kick

100 easy

100 fr fast
    went :51

50 2 beat kick
    50 6 beat kick

100 easy

50 fly fast
    went 24
    easy speed 8 SDKs off each wall

100 easy

assigned: 20 minutes swim
    did: showered, changed to speedo pro jammer
    200 easy

50 fl fast
    went 24

100 easy

assigned: 100 fr fast
    did: 100 fr easy speed 2 beat kick
    went 56

100 easy

assigned 200 fast
    did 200 IM easy speed
    went 2:08

100 easy

Updated November 24th, 2010 at 11:35 AM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Swim w/Speedo, Tuesday, Nov. 23

by , November 23rd, 2010 at 09:32 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ Oak Marr:

Warm up:

900 various

Main Sets:

10 x 50 @ 1:00
    various -- kick, swim, bursts, builds

ATP-CP Sprint Set:*

10 x 25 @ 1:00
    burst to the 15 meter mark
    did them all free

200 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ) @ 3:00
    free w/fins = 11
    back shooter w/fins = 10
    2 x back w/start = 14s

10 x 50 aerobic @ 1:00
    odds = swim
    evens = kick

100 EZ

Total: 2900

*ATP-CP = the primary system for production of fast powerful movements:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/energy.htm
    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_systems[/ame]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Loved the ATP-CP set! No lactic acid build up and plenty of rest to generate explosive movements on 1:00 interval. Agree with Speedo -- this set is a keeper. Plus, it's a good prelude to other sprint sets. I likewise agree we could easily have done a fast 50 at the end. But I've done so many fast 50s lately, I was happy to do the aerobic recovery set. And I'm glad we did that instead of the usual 200 EZ.

I missed the gym today. Probably won't get there until Friday. Even then, I think I'll just hit the upper body. Perhaps a few box jumps. But I think my legs need to start resting now.

Got a massage after the workout. Niiice! Had her pound away at my scapular area (which yoga doesn't seem to get all that well) and the legs. Calves were very sore. I'll probably feel poorly and sluggish at the Sewickley Masters practice tomorrow night. So I hope Coach Bill is just planning an aerobic workout.

Mini has done very well in her club volleyball tryouts this week. She is now a committed gym rat, as she feels like her serve/hits are much more powerful now that she's resumed drylands. I resist the urge to say "I told you so ..."

I need to sort through the family kneeskin collection. I need to find the stretched out Speedo kneeskin with a hole to wear at the Last Minute meet.

One another note, my chiro used my recent blood labs, especially the adrenal readings, as a test case at a recent functional medicine/nutrition for athletes conference. Have an appt scheduled to get further input.

Updated November 23rd, 2010 at 10:13 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -11/24/10

by , November 23rd, 2010 at 01:28 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    1 X 300 5:00 4:30
    2 X 150 2:30 2:15
    4 X 50 DESCEND 1-4 :50 :45
    Twice through. Round 1 intervals left, round 2 right.

1 X 200 kick 4:20
    4 X 75 kick 1:40
    8 X 25 sprint kick :45

1 X 100 EZ
    1 X 50 fast
    1X 100 EZ
    2 X 50 fast
    1 X 100 EZ
    3 X 50 fast
    1 X 100 EZ
    4 X 50 fast
    1 X 100 EZ
    Choice. 100's on 2:00, 50's on 1:10

8 X 200 free 3:00
    Descend in pairs

5100Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Tuesday, 11/23/10

by , November 23rd, 2010 at 11:54 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

I didn't swim yesterday, took a rest day after the meet.

Warm up
    600 Swim Choice of strokes and equipment
    (did 200 swim, 200 kick, 200 pull with p&b)

Main Set

1 x 400/30sr smooth
    (free - around 5:50)
    3 x 200/30sr easy build
    (all back - around 3:10 on all)
    8 x 100/30sr easy desc by 4
    (1-4 free, went 1:28->1:17; 5-8 back, went 1:37->1:28)

Kick 1 x 400 continuous
    (with fins, did 200 flutter w/board, 200 on back w/5-6dolphin kicks under water on each wall)

200 Warm down
    easy free

Total: 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. A full morning, plus meet report

This morning I swam lcm at Riverbank with a swim buddy. Here’s what I did:

800 lcm warmup

4 x 100 FR desc. @ 1:40
    :45 rest
    500 FR fast @ 7:45 [7:15]
    400 FR/BK moderate @ 7:45
    500 FR fast @ 7:45 [7:18]

8 x 100 swim / 50 kick @ :05-:10 rest

6 x 100 IM

200 pull w/ paddles

400 play + warmdown

I was pleased with my times on the 500s, but was pretty dead for the rest of the workout. 5k lc is a big day for me.

Over the weekend I did the NY/NJ Duel in the Pool meet on Long Island. It was a blast. I swam all 4 50s. My times were not great—I think I went 35-mid on BK, 40-low on BR, 31-something on FR, and 34-mid on FL (results haven’t been posted, and I didn’t even write down my times at the meet). [Edit--actual times: FR 31.40, BK 35.48, BR 40.71, FL 34.84] My best swim was probably the 35m fly—after that it went downhill fast. I had a few bright spots in my other races, but wasn’t able to nail a whole good 50 in any of my strokes. This didn’t surprise me—my non-tapered sprinting is never really very fast, and I go back and forth on the value of swimming sprints at meets where I’m not tapered at all.

My main goal at this meet was to experiment around with my warmup for sprints, and I feel like I now have a 6-9 minute routine for right before my event that gets me ready to go. (I’ve never really done an extra pre-event warmup at meets—I’ve just cooled down after each event, then dried off and kept wrapped up and warm before my next swim—but that approach didn’t work so well before my sprint events at my last taper meet, so I wanted to work out something better). It was a little tricky timing things up—my goal was to get out of the warmup pool with an elevated heartrate about 30-120 seconds before getting up on the blocks to race. Since this meet didn’t list heat numbers on the scoreboard, I had to keep track of them while warming up or ask people where we were. I almost missed one of my events that way, but luckily did not, thanks to some alert and insistent timers. With the extra warmup I felt like my swimming was more consistent throughout the 50, rather than it taking me 20m to really get going. So even though my results at this meet weren't great, I think I'll stick with this new routine for the rest of this season at least.

It was great seeing old and new friends at the meet—there was a very nice turnout. I got some good sprinting, stroke, and warmup tips from AGUA coach Craig Keller. I was delighted to see my blogbuddy Carolyn, who had an incredible meet, and I got to meet and swim with some of her FISHy teammates on the “mystery relay.” There were a lot of impressive performances at the meet, but perhaps the most draw-dropping one was AGUA teammate Erin Merritt’s 800 FL (a charity event at the meet’s end)—she went out holding steady 43-44s (scm), then dropped those to 42s on the second half of her swim, and looked incredibly strong and fast the whole way.

With this meet in the books, the next event I’m training for is probably the OHS. It’s never my favorite event, but since I now swim with not just one but two teams that make a big deal out of participating, I’m pretty much obliged to do it. I’ve actually come to have a grudging respect and affection for the event, and since I’m ultimately working on increasing my endurance for the OW relay I’m doing next summer, the OHS will be a good benchmark, and incentive for training.

I’m swimming up at Riverbank the rest of this week (it’s open Thanksgiving morning!), and hoping that I can get some of my swim buddies to join me for the turducken workout on Thursday!

Updated November 24th, 2010 at 07:26 PM by swimsuit addict

Categories
    Uncategorized