View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. French invasion

by , May 9th, 2011 at 10:10 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    There's a guy who swims in the morning with us but not really with us. His son has a roommate, Gil, at Alabama who swam with us this morning... really with us. Gil is from France but his last name looks German. Starts with a "G" and has way too many consonants together. Nice guy and great swimmer. Fun to watch people that make it look so effortless.

Pool temperature was back down to 85. That's much better than 89 from friday and I was able to swim without feeling like throwing up. We did mostly sprint stuff today.

SCY

450 Warm up

200 Free - 3:00
    3 x 50 - :50 FL/BK/BR
    3 x 50 - :45 FL/FK/BR
    12 x 75 Up/down - 1:10 (10)
    * 1-6 Free to back
    * 7-12 Free to kick

4 times through
    * 25 Fly - :20 2 breaths
    * 25 Easy Free - :30
    4 times through
    * 25 hard kick - :30
    * 25 easy kick - :30
    4 times through
    * 25 Back - :20
    4 times through
    * 25 Pull - :20

50 Easy

8 x 100 Up/Down stroke 1:15 (:10)
    I didn't have much chance of making this so I put on fins and managed to alternate 100 Free with 25 stroke/75 free.

50 Easy

4 times through
    * 25 Fly - :20 2 breaths
    4 times through
    * 25 hard kick - :30
    * 25 easy kick - :30
    4 times through
    * 25 Breast - :20
    4 times through
    * 25 Pull - :20

100 Cool down

(4350 total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Just couldn't make the last 2 rounds

by , May 9th, 2011 at 08:52 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Tried a workout that I knew would be tough at the end but had to modify the interval since I just could not make it.

400 Free
    4x25@:40 Free Fist drill
    4x25@:40 Free right arm
    4x25@:40 Free left arm
    4x25@:30 Free

4x50@1:10 Free
    4x50@1:05 Free
    4x50@1:00 Free
    4x50@:55 Free
    4x50@:50 Free
    4x50@:45 Free
    4x50@:40 Free this is where I lost it and did these last 2 rounds on :45
    4x50@:35 Free

300 Free kick w/fins
    300 Free pull breath every 5 strokes
    400 Free easy

Total 3400 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. A cold swim

Today I managed to get myself good and cold during my swim at Brighton Beach with the CIBBOWS gang. It was a gorgeous day, about as good as it gets at the beach—strong sun, a few puffy clouds floating around in a deep blue sky, and very little wind,. The water was really clear and sparkly, and a brisk 52. We had a good crowd out—about a dozen swimmers got in for various amounts of time while I was there. Many were out for their first swim of the season, and it was great to catch up after not seeing them since last fall.

A few other swimmers agreed to swim west with me towards Coney Island. I love going that way—that’s the direction where you’re swimming towards the Wonder Wheel and Parachute Drop and other Coney landmarks. I swam past the aquarium, then doubled back a bit to find a swim buddy before continuing out to the pier, a little over a mile from our start point. We didn’t stop long to chat there because of the cold before heading back. After a bit I spotted another friend swimming towards us, so I turned around and swam to the pier again with her, then headed back to the start for good.

By this point I was feeling a little cold—not just in my hands and feet, which I’m used to feeling in low water temps, but also in my legs, and my lips. I was still pretty happy swimming along though, and not worried, because the course out at Brighton runs parallel to shore, and I knew if I needed to I could always get out and walk back along the warm beach to where I started. I did notice at one point that it seemed to be taking a bit longer than usual to make sense what I was seeing when I lifted my head to sight. I remembered that a couple of friends who swim out there had told me they gotten a little loopy during a cold-water swim several weeks ago. I was a little worried that I had the beginnings of loopy thinking as well, and decided that maybe I should get out when I reached my stuff.

So once I got back to the start, I floated in the water a bit to savor the experience, started to get out, changed my mind and began stroking towards the other end of the 5k loop. After about 100m, though, I changed it back and headed to shore. I really wanted to do the whole loop today, and was a little chagrinned afterwards that I didn’t end up doing so. But I am still learning how far I can and should push this cold-water swimming business, and am generally pretty cautious about testing my limits. As it turned out, I warmed up fairly quickly once I was out of the water, and didn’t have any problems with fine motor coordination or anything while getting dressed, so I’m guessing a bit more time in the water wouldn’t have done any harm. On the other hand, it was maybe better to get in a substantial swim today while still preserving the desire to do more later. After all, there is next week!

And mostly, it was a great day at the beach shared with friends and fellow swimmers. What beats that? I can’t wait to go back.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Over Did It... Just a Tad

by , May 8th, 2011 at 05:41 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    Was feeling really good on Saturday morning. I had decided to swim on my own instead of with the team, so I could focus more on stroke work. Besides, I had pulled out one of my favorite workouts that could be used for both stroke and a bit of free speed - and I was really looking forward to getting to the pool. Here's what I did:

400 Warm-Up
    4 sets:
    - 4 x 25 Kick on :30
    - 1 x 100 IM Drill Cycle on 2:30
    4 sets (did free, fly w/ fins, free, back w/fins):
    - 1 x 25 on :30
    - 1 x 50 on 1:00
    - 1 x 75 on 1:20
    - 1 x 100 on 1:40
    - 1 x 200 (1st & 3rd pull, 2nd & 4th kick)
    - 1 x 100 on 1:40
    - 1 x 75 on 1:20
    - 1 x 50 on 1:00
    - 1 x 25 on :30
    2 sets:
    - 4 x 25 Kick on :30
    - 1 x 100 IM Drill Cycle on 2:30
    1 x 200 Kick
    400 Cool-Down
    Total Yards - 5000

My typical long swim on Saturday mornings is about 4000-4250 yards. I was just feeling really good - and as I got closer and closer to 5000 yards, it just seemed silly to stop. Of course, by the time 5000 actually rolled around, I was pretty beat. The cool-down was awfully slow .

Of course, Saturday was also a dryland day, so after swimming 5000 yards, I did my 35 min NFL Training Camp workout. Planks, jump squats, and planks after 5000 yards was brutal..... Still... after a good night's sleep, I'm feeling pretty good today - at least rested enough to mow the grass. YAY!

We'll see how we do in the water tomorrow. I'll either feel really good or really tired... only time will tell. Guess which one I'm hoping for?

Enjoy the rest of your weekend - and Happy Mother's Day to all you other moms out there.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Swim at College Pool, Sat., May 7

by , May 7th, 2011 at 09:20 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm Up:

600 various

8 x 50
    Odds= stroke drill
    Evens = stroke kick

Main Sets:

10 x 25 shooters

5 x 100 flutter kick w/board & fins @ 2:00
    50 fast + 50 easy
    100 easy

10 x (25 easy speed fly w/ fins + 25 easy)
    --fly felt dreadful

2 x through w/fins (no interval):
    25 fast shooter + 25 easy
    50 fast + 50 easy
    25 fast free + 25 easy
    50 easy

10 x 25
    odds = 25 breast pull
    evens = 25 breast kick

5 x 50 cruise

Total: 3350

----------------------------------------------------

Commentary:

Toured around Dartmouth yesterday and today. Fort Son met the freshman and head lightweight coaches and rode the motorboat with the coaches watching the first freshman and first varsity lightweight boats. (A talented sophomore on the varsity boat is taking aim at the WR for the 6K erg this summer.). Fort Son got his first taste of college life staying overnight and hanging out with the freshman rowers.

Today, I ventured to my college pool, the first time I'd swum there since my freshman year. I
    even got the lane I always raced in. . The pool is very weird: it's four feet deep everywhere except for the diving area. It has a sharp slant up from the diving depth to the four foot depth and is four feet deep the entire pool length in lanes 6-8. I almost crashed into the slanted wall doing a shooter. Would not like doing a backstroke start in four foot depth now.
    This didn't bother me in college. I never swam backstroke, always fly/free/IM. No surprise that the team records were largely faster than the pool records.

Anyway, I got a decent workout in, though I was tired from not much sleep for 2 nights (can't sleep in hotels at all). Not too much pollen in Hanover; prepared to be killed with it tomorrow. May is just not my month.

Very fun visit. . Plan on hitting the gym late tomorrow afternoon.

Updated May 7th, 2011 at 10:31 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. LCM workout with team

Today I swam the 6am Asphalt Green lcm practice for my weekly 2-hour swim. The monthly workout schedule Craig distributes specified today as “kick and pull,” and that’s what we did. Here’s how it went:

800 lcm warmup (400s, 200k, 200p)

1000 straight, done as 200 FR drill, 200 FR kick, 150 BK drill, 150 BK kick, 100 BR drill, 100 BR kick, 50 FL drill, 50 FL kick

16 x 50 @ :50 [I did mostly FR, some BK]

3x through
    2 x 100
    4 x 50
    2 x 100
    Round 1 = kick @ 2:00/100 intervals [didn’t make all of those—did some swimming to catch up],
    Round 2 = pull w/ buoy, no paddles @ 1:45/100 basis [my lane ended up going more like 1:35/100 somehow]
    Round 3 = swim w/ paddles @ 1:45/100 basis

400 warmdown

This afternoon I went for a long walk by the Hudson River. I’ve been using my upcoming around-Manhattan relay swim as an excuse to get out of my neighborhood and acquaint myself with the city’s waterfront a bit better, while scoping out the course I’ll be swimming (or cheering while my relay partner swims it.) Since Mr. Addict knows the running paths all along the Hudson to the top of Manhattan, he is happy to play tour guide, and it’s been nice planning weekend afternoon walks together. Today we took the subway up to Riverbank State Park (my usual morning swim spot), then walked from there up past the GW Bridge (and past the Little Red Lighthouse) to Dyckman Street and Inwood Hill Park. That’s where the seal was spotted earlier this week, but I saw no signs of it today, or any other unusual river critters. I did see tons of people out fishing at many different points along the shore, though.

Tomorrow is a beach swim day—I’m really looking forward to it. Those who swam out at Brighton today reported a water temp of 52, so my guesstimate from yesterday was fairly accurate. Hope the sun is strong!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. No kids today

by , May 7th, 2011 at 03:35 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Actually got a descent workout in and did not have to coach this morning.

10x100@1:45 Free
    500 Breast kick w/brfins
    500 Breast drills about 300 with the br fins
    20x25 Fly drils w/fins last 4 swim
    500 Free every 3rd 25 free kick

Total 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Saturday, 5/7/11

by , May 7th, 2011 at 01:38 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY

Warm up
    300 swim back and free
    2 x 100 IM drill
    3 x 100/1:30 free build
    8 x 25/30 strong desc 4
    - 1-4 free, 5-8 back

Kick Speed play (900)
    25 fast - 50 easy continuous
    with or without fins
    - did 450 flutter w/ fins and board, 450 on back no fins.

Swim Back (1200)
    16 x 75/1:30 desc by 4
    - each group of 4 from around 1:10->1:02

Swim Fly (200)
    8 x 25 Fly/45 strong

Swim Free (300)
    3 x 100 Free/1:30 desc to AFAP
    went 1:20->1:16

Warm down 200 smooth

Total: 3800 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Cooler waters today

by , May 7th, 2011 at 11:02 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam at Huntsville Nat this morning. The 82 degree water felt soooo good after the heat from yesterday. They were setting up for a meet so it was long course with backstroke flags... deluxe accomodations! I'm still getting used to being out of the water for a week. Getting faster but not where I was before. I might have convinced one of the Huntsville swimmers to got to Nationals. He thought he had to qualify first (which I think he could do). Without that requirement, he seemed excited to start training for it.

LCM

400 Warm up

3 x 100 Stroke down/reverse IM back
    200 Kick
    100 Easy

200 Free
    5 x 50 IM Order
    400 Free
    4 x 100 Kick
    600 Free
    4 x 150 Kick/Drill/Swim IM Order

3 x 200 Pull
    3 x 100 Free down/choice stroke back
    I did all three breast stroke. Arms were hurting bad at this point.

200 Cool down

(4500M total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. I must be an animal!!

by , May 6th, 2011 at 10:52 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Today was totally awesome - Biorhythms say my physical is way on top & emotions on the bottom, but when the physical is on top, the emotions are too!! Work was great - only saw 13 patients, and two of them were kids whose parents thought they needed physicals & vax for school - but this had already been done earlier in the year, so they were basically not even seen - which means I saw only 11 people!! I was finished charting and HOME by 2:00!! Woo Hoo!
    Loved this morning's workout, seemed like it was designed for me -- I was still coughing quite a bit, so swam in a lane off by myself so as not to slow the kids down, but I shouldn't have worried - I was going faster than them and chose faster intervals too. Go figure! Anyways, since I got out of work and wasn't exhausted, PLUS, it was absolutely B-E-A-U-tiful today, I went back! Here's what I did:

600 free/back
    2 x 300 pull (first one speed play by 50's, 2nd one speed play by 25's)
    300 kick
    100 EZ
    12 x 100 on 1:30/1:35 (sets of 3 at 70%, 80%, 90% & last one sprint)
    100 EZ
    8 x 25 Sprint play
    4 x 150 kick
    12 x 50 on 1:00 same as the 100's
    200 EZ

Total: 4500 LCM

2nd workout (BONUS!!) at 4:30pm on my own:
    1000 warmup - various mixed stroke, mostly 100 free; 25 back/25 breast
    5 x 100 kick
    100 EZ
    6 x 300: #1 & #2 pull no paddles
    #3 back/free thingy by 150's
    #4 & #5 pull w/paddles
    #6 breast/free thingy by 300
    100 EZ
    5 x 100 50 kick/50 swim on the 1:30 (this was hard)
    4 x 25 Sprint play on :30
    200 free
    5 x 100 various strokes
    Total: 4800

Total for the day: 9300!!

See! Am I an animal or what?!! But this is good for my GTD genie - because I am playing grandma (tonight AND) tomorrow - Jeni & Ben want to attend the symphony or something in Hotlanta, so I am traveling with them to tend to baby Elenna in the hotel. Tonight grandma has Christa's crew (4 cute little munchkins!!) spending the night because their mommy's birthday is today & their daddy is taking her out. Poor thing is exhausted after moving into their new house & seeing so many things that need repaired. I don't envy them - but they had to know it was coming - after all, it was a foreclosure, which definitely equals a "fixer upper"!!

Updated May 6th, 2011 at 11:17 PM by Celestial

Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. To busy to Blog

by , May 6th, 2011 at 06:40 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    Been swimming at least 4 days a week.
    I'm up to 132 Miles so far this year.
    I've been sick the past week.
    A former team mate of mine won the Tampa Bay Marathon Swim a couple of weeks ago.
    24 Miles!!!!!!!
    8 Hours 59 Min.
    That is just pure crazy!!!

Here is what I swam today.

Set One 2x400 – 30 sec. rest
    • (1) - 400 warm up Choice
    • (2) – 400 free, pace

Set Two 4x200 – 30 sec. rest
    • (1) – 200 recovery
    • (2) – 200 one lap bow&arrow drill, one lap free, perfect stroke.
    • (3) - 200 free, pace
    • (4) – 200 free, all out

Set Three 8x100 (lung busters)– 10 dolphin kicks off each wall, just survive the rest of the lap – 20 sec. rest
    • (1-2) – (easy)
    • (3-4) – (keep focused)
    • (5-6) - (strong core)
    • (7-8) – (quick core)

Set Four 12x50
    • (1-6) – 50 fly,back,breast (fast), 50 recovery after each. 2:00 on each 100
    • (7-12) – 50 fly,back,breast (all out), 50 recovery after each. 2:15 on each 100

200 warm down 3200yds.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Double the fun

I got back in the city last night after a few days visiting family in Alabama. Because there’s no indoor pool in my hometown, I had 3 off-days during my visit, and so was very happy to be back at the Riverbank pool this morning with a swim buddy. I felt sluggish and slow, but my body must have been ready to get back to work because the pace clock kept giving me good news—there was about a 5-6 second/100 difference in my internal pace clock and the one on the wall, in the happy direction. Here’s what I did:

900 lcm warmup (400s, 100k, 200p, 200 RIM d/s)

6 x 50 (25 kick fast / 25 swim easy) @ 1:10
    :30 rest
    4 x 100 FR desc. @ 1:45 [1:28 > 1:18]
    :30 rest
    500 FR @ 7:30 [7:12]
    4 x 100 FR desc. @ 1:45 [1:29 > 1:17]

12 x 50 FR @ 1:00, odds = 12-sec. sprint (remainder of length easy), evens = 6 stroke cycles perfect form at slowest possible speed (rest of length easy back) [It took until the last 2 sprints for these to feel good—I finally started focusing on faster arm speed and things clicked into place.]

200 easy swim

300 kick

400 pull w/ various combinations of paddles

100 warmdown + play

I made one discovery this morning. During the 400 pull, I experimented around with various paddle combinations—my swim buddy and I had watched someone in the adjacent lane swimming while wearing one paddle, and we spent a few minutes speculating about the purpose of that drill. So I tried wearing just one paddle to see what it felt like, and found that when I wore it on my left hand it felt natural to breathe on that side. I’m still figuring out why that should be so. Since I struggle sometimes with bilateral breathing, I will add one-paddle drills to the repertoire of things I use to make changing my breathing pattern a little easier.

It was a beautiful sunny day here, and several friends had emailed me about swimming at the beach today, so after the pool workout I headed out to Brighton Beach. The water still hasn’t warmed up much—I’m guessing it was low-to-mid 50s today. But the sunshine was quite strong, and the water really clear and flat. It was a joy to swim in the cool sparkly water, and a real treat to get to lie on the beach and soak up warmth from the sun and sand afterwards. I swam down to the aquarium, turned around and swam back a bit, then spotted a friend swimming towards me and backtracked with him a ways before turning around and heading back to the beach for good. I probably went about 2k altogether.

I felt like a very dedicated swimmer today to get in 2 swims before I even finished unpacking from my trip! (Or maybe I’m just a lazy traveler . . . )
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Fri May 6th, 2011

by , May 6th, 2011 at 04:36 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Fri May 6th, 2011

Thu
    trained 6:30 to 8:00, whitney coached
    don't really remember the work out
    I skipped parts here and there to fit my sprint training focus

yesterday at 10 am
    I got my right side wisdom teeth removed. Doc knocked me out for the proceedure.
    I slept most of the afternoon & slept in this morning missing AM practice.
    As I write this now, I feel pretty good, my toothache is gone, but the holes hurt & need to heal.

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

Weights: did a quick weight work out this morning
    1 warm up set and 2 heavy sets
    bench
    lat pull
    lat press
    leg press

noon to 1:15 dove in around 12:30
    Tyler Coached
    UT, LCM main pool
    wore FS 2 legskins
    swam beside James Fike

WARM UP LCM
    missed it

Main SET: LCM

assigned: 5 x 200 FR FAST Best AVE on 5:00
    did: dove in after #2 started & swam 200 warm up
    #3 went 2:25
    #4 went 2:22
    #5 dove went 2:17

500 easy

assigned: 5 x 100 FR FAST Best AVE on 3:00
    did: 5 x (50 FR FAST Best AVE , 50 fr easy) on 3:00
    went: 29, 28, 28 low, 27, 26
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -05/09/11

by , May 6th, 2011 at 03:36 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM
    WARM UP:
    4 X 100 1:45
    1 X 200 3:20
    4 X 100 1:40
    1 X 300 -

1 X 100 moderate 2:00
    2 X 50 build 1:15
    1 X 100 moderate 2:00
    2 X 50 fast 1:15
    Twice through. Break between rounds.

1 X 100 easy swim

3 X 100 kick 2:30
    6 X 50 kick 1:20

1 X 200 free 3:20
    1 x 100 IM 2:00
    2 X 50 stroke 1:00
    Three times. Break between rounds.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4200M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Boiled alive in the pool...

by , May 6th, 2011 at 03:11 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    There's a disturbing pool temperature trend: Tuesday - 82, Wednesday - 84, Thursday - 86, Today - 89! We don't even have any noodlers. However, I suspect the scent of warm chlorinated water may attract them if this keeps up. So, the workout was a bit abbreviated. We took lots of breaks and didn't push too hard today.

SCY

400 Warm up

K1 = fastest kick, K2 = 2nd fastest kick, K3 = 3rd fastest kick, K4 = slowest kick
    S1 = fastest stroke, S2 = 2nd fastest stroke, S3 = 3rd fastest stroke, S4 = slowest stroke

2 x 100 - 1:40 S1/K4
    2 x 100 - 1:40 S2/K3
    2 x 100 - 1:40 S3/K2
    2 x 100 - 1:40 S4/K1

200 Free - 2:30
    200 Free - 3:00
    200 Free - 2:30
    Made the first 2:30 but only got a few seconds recovery on 3:00 and then ran out of gas from there. Made 2:40.

2 x 100 - 1:45 S1/K4
    2 x 100 - 1:45 S2/K3
    2 x 100 - 1:45 S3/K2
    2 x 100 - 1:45 S4/K1

Normally, this set calls for dropping the time to 1:35 but we were feeling a lot of heat at this point and opted for a few extra seconds.

3 x 200 - 3:00 Descend (2:50, 2:45, 2:40)

Called it a day after this.

100 Cool down

(3300 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Lots-o'-Fly (a.k.a. How to Have Your Arms Fall Off!)

by , May 6th, 2011 at 01:48 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    Holy cow... today was a lot of fly for me. I was actually really looking forward to today's workout... until I got into today's workout and realized how much I was looking forward to today's workout being done. To all you people who routinely swim large amounts of fly in practice, . As for me, I am convinced that I need to do more - and more often in order to be able to muscle through sets like this and drop racing time (especially on the 100 Fly). Here's what we did:

500 Warm-Up
    4 x 100 Fly Drill Cycle on 2:30
    6 sets (did this set wearing fins):
    - 1 x 50 Fly on 1:10
    - 4 x 25 Fly on :40, 1>4
    5 x 100 Kick on 2:00, mid 50 back dolphin kick
    6 x 125 on 2:10 100 Free/25 Back
    8 x 50 Free / Drill on 1:00
    Total Yards - 3450

The 6 x 125 set was actually supposed to be 75 Free/50 Stroke, but when I turned at the 75 and tried to raise my arms for fly, I immediately knew that wasn't going to happen. Instead, I swam out the 25 as free, then flipped to my back to do the last 25. Since I could actually do backstroke - and fly was not working anymore - I finished all 6 like that.

As for the Free/Drill Cool-Down set, I was able to do a bit of stroke drills. I did 2 fly, 2 back, 2 free, and swam the last two 50s all free.

Whew! I was planning to have another Stroke-fest Saturday, but we'll have to see how my arms are doing in the morning. I am planning to take an alternate fast ladder, all freestyle workout that's pretty fun just in case the fly decides it's had better days. I would rather not swim fly than to swim it with bad form and risk injuring my shoulder. So... that's the plan anyway. I guess only time will tell what I actually end up doing. I only know this - it needs to be a 4000+ yards kind of day. My FLOG is still not happy with me - ever since the two-week taper for Y Nationals. By week's end for the last two weeks, I seem to get within 0.05 miles to "being on track", but then I take Sunday off and fall behind again. Oh well... I suppose it's only a matter of time before my FLOG and I are back to being happy with each other. One thing I know for sure - I need Sunday as my rest day!

That's it for now. Enjoy your weekend and Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there. As for me, my youngest daughter is such a sweetie. She's been giving me drawings and letters all week to celebrate Mother's Day early because she'll be with her father this weekend and I won't actually see my girls on Mother's Day... bummer.... but they know I love them and I know they love me. That's all that matters....

Anyhoo... happy swimming!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. May 6 - Team workout

by , May 6th, 2011 at 12:48 PM (Dan's hobby/obsession)
    I woke up early this morning & drove out to Monroe to do a little "fun Friday" workout with the masters team. I must've missed a memo, because only a half-dozen folks showed up so the coach put a pretty good workout on the board.

Solo Warm Up:

500 swim - every 4th length backstroke
    6x50 Kick @ 1:00 alt. fr/fly/fr/br

Team workout:
    8x25 Kick @ :30 12.5 sprint/12.5 EZ (alt. free/fly)
    4x150 @ 2:15 Neg. split (1:45's)
    200 fast @ 3:00 (2:16)
    3x150 @ 2:15 Neg. split (1:45's)
    200 fast @ 3:00 (2:15)
    2x150 @ 2:15 Neg. split (1:46's)
    200 fast @ 3:00 (2:14)
    150 @ 2:15 Neg. split (1:47)
    200 fast @ 3:00 (2:16)

8x50 @ 1:00 IMO 25k/25swim

Solo finish:
    8x25 @ :30 IMO
    200 cool down

I was feeling pretty good on the negative split 150's. I had some nice smooth speed going during the first 75 and built from there. I thought I might end up cruising to about 1:50-1:55, so the mid 1:40's was a nice surprise.

The 'fast' 200's still aren't where I'd like them to be, but as I've mentioned to my teammates, I could've gone 2:10's and been talking about how I would've liked to go 2:05's. I'm happy with my progress - a couple months ago I was fighting to hit 2:20's.

I'm getting a chuckle out of my Speedo Endurance Jammers. The fabric is holding up very well, but the thread has gotten completely eaten away by the chlorine. They are literally falling apart at the seams. But I'm happy to say that I've had this pair for almost a year which is about twice as long as I've had any other pair of jammers. I'll keep wearing them as a drag suit for a while, too.

Updated May 6th, 2011 at 02:01 PM by larsoda (missed using the work "kick" in a couple places...)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Friday, 5/6/11

by , May 6th, 2011 at 12:36 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    I had to swim inside again because one of the guards didn't show up, so they wouldn't let us go out until he got there. Since I started inside I just stayed there. I hope they get their together soon!

Warm up
    3 x 300/15sr
    1) swim
    2) 50 swim build -50 kick - 50 drill
    3) swim build with fins and paddles
    - did 150 free, 150 back on all 3

Main Set:
    9 x 100/1:45
    1, 3, 7, 9 - stronger effort
    Take HR after each swim
    - all free; times on strong ones were 1:16-17 with HR = 138-150
    - others were around 1:19-20 with HR = 1:26-1:38

Kick:
    4 x 200/10 - 15sr - steady moderate kicking
    - did #1-2 flutter on belly w/ board and snorkel, 3:55, 3:45
    - #3-4 flutter on back, 3:50 for both

Swim:
    12 x 50/1:00 Tempo with 2 - Beat Kick
    - all free, ave 40

Warm down
    100 easy DAB and back

Total: 3300 y
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. You better start swimmin' or you'll sink like a stone

by , May 6th, 2011 at 12:35 PM (Too Neurotic to be Suitably Aquatic)
    I wrote this workout on the train the other day, because I wanted something to practice for this weekend when I'm swimming all the 100's and the 200 IM. It turns out the team really liked it! Even my lane-mate who's fast but doesn't like to break a sweat had me cursing myself for writing such tight intervals, which he stuck to religiously.

1000 warm up

2x100 on 1:40
    4x25 fly rest :5
    100 kick: 50 free / 50 no board
    50 recovery

2x100 on 1:35
    4x25 back rest :5
    100 kick : 50 free / 50 no board
    50 recovery

2x100 on 1:30
    4x25 breast rest :5
    50 recovery

2x100 on 1:25
    4x25 free rest :5
    50 recovery

200 IM
    200 warm down

I was pleased that I brought my 100's in under 1:30 with ease and time to rest each time. I'm working on not breathing into the turns, and I felt that gave me some great set-ups to streamline further. Also working on:

fly - keeping my feet in the water on the kick, recovery with thumbs down

back - faster arms! more rotation!

breast - keeping those hands in tight, thumbs under shoulders. Shortening up my glide to look less like a mom who doesn't want to get her hair wet.

Currently, I am SO TIRED, SO SORE. I have no idea how Saturday's going to go, it's a short meet, and there will be a lot of swimming. I do have one nemesis swimming all the same events as me (a guy who, at a swim meet earlier this winter, pushed off on the wrong side of the warm-down lane and hit me on the head so hard in the head that I had to scratch my 1000 because I got all nauseous and concussed.) I would really like to see him go down in a fair fight... But we'll see.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Friday, May 6, 2011 5:00am

by , May 6th, 2011 at 12:02 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Thursday night I was bored so I decided to go down to the Y pool and swim a little. Probably another 1500 Yards or so. The highlight of the swim was a 100 Free AFAP in which I did a :54, from a push. Considering I went out in a :54 on my 200 Free at Nationals from a dive, I'd say I'm feeling much better with a little more training in me.

----------------

Friday:

Warmup
    200 Free
    300 Free Pull
    100 Kick on side

5 x 100 Free @ 1:25 (held 1:10s)

20 x 25 Fly @ :30 strong, (held :15/:16s)

200 IM Drill stretch out

At this point it was 5:45 in which the group all comes together to do drills/etc. together with the coach on deck instructing. I didn't feel like doing another set, so I decided to join them for a change. Here's what we did, which wasn't drills like I had thought:

4 x 25 w/ fins AFAP Kick @ :30

4 x swims @ 2:00 interval
    --coach came by and gave each person a specific distance to be completed in the 2:00 interval...I was assigned 175s. The next longest distance behind me was only a 125. My first thought was Oh !! I tried to plead for the 150 distance but coach said HAHA!!

I ended up making:
    #1 @ 1:51
    #2 came in at 1:59
    #3 skipped the first 50 and left :30 later -did 125 & came in with :10 rest
    #4 came in at 1:56

Basically did a 700 in 8:00 (minus a 50)

50 EZ and out
    -----------------
    2600 Yards

We have the Apple Blossom festival this weekend in Wenatchee, and two parades in town this weekend, one is the "Classy Chassis" parade tonight (all the cool old cars come out of the garages tonight), and that is the reason our company is only running 5 hours for the two shifts today...so everyone can get home. I got off work at 11:30, and went back to the pool for a nice easy stretch out swim.

Friday afternoon at the Y:
    200 Free
    200 Free Pull
    400 IM Drill
    400 Free EZ
    ----------------
    1200 Yards

3800 Yards for the Day

Updated May 6th, 2011 at 05:31 PM by jaadams1

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Daily Practices