View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Tuesday workout

by , June 14th, 2011 at 10:41 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    I've switched over all my fly to breast stroke until nationals. I figure I'm not swimming fly at nationals so there isn't much reason to train hard at it for the next month. Will probably convert back to free drill as well... or at least use a breathing pattern.

LCM

700 Warm up

4 x 50 IM order
    200 Kick
    4 x 50 IM order
    500 Free negative split

4 x 100 Free Down/IM Back
    200 Kick
    4 x 100 Free neg. split
    500 Pull

100 Free
    50 Choice Fast
    100 Free
    2 x 50 Choice (2nd Fast)
    100 Free
    3 x 50 Choice (3rd Fast)
    100 Free
    4 x 50 Choice (4th Fast)

4 x 100 Choice Drill/Free/Free/Choice stroke
    100 Easy

400 IM Easy cool down

(5100m Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Thought I was feeling good today

by , June 14th, 2011 at 08:30 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I got out of the car got up the stairs and low and behold No Back Pain! A great start, normally I look like a little old lady trying to get up those stairs.

When I finally got on deck and put my stuff down at my lane, I was just standing there and OUCH my back just spasmed painfully. Then and there my workout changed to a fly workout to loosen up. Yes my elbow is still an issue but sometimes the back pain outweighs the other aches and pains.

I want a full body transplant, something young, slim and strong please!

500 Free
    500 Free kick w/fins moderate pace
    5x200@4:00 Fly w/fins as 50 rt arm/50 lt arm/50 kick/50 swim went 3:37, 3:31, 3:28, 3:21, 3:14 (probably my best set of these in a long time)
    500 Free kick w/fins
    500 Free w/snorkle every 3rd lap kick

Total 3000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. WORKOUT 6/13/11

Had no energy tonight and don't really know why. I guess not every workout is a great one but I did stick with. Towards the end I really had to concentrate on keeping my stroke together. I know that everyone has to do this when they get tired but tonight was absolutely terrible. I'll take my lumps and move on from here.

300 choice
    200 kick
    8 x 75 (drill,swim,build) @ 1:30 IM order

3 rounds of the following 1:30/100 base
    2 x 200 buoy and snorkel
    400 swim descend 1-3
    2 x 50 non free @50

4 x 125 @ 2:00 sprint
    odds free
    evens stroke

200 w/d

4400 scy

Round 1 was a mess and I needed to get my head back in the game. Round 2 was a little better but not good enough. Round 3 was the best so at least I finished that set on a positive note.

I had forgotten that we had the 125's to do at the end and I struggled through those. I plan on doing a recovery swim in the morning and will maybe do some snorkel work to stretch my stroke out.

Less then two weeks till my first LCM meet as a masters swimmer. Really looking forward to it and feel like I have nothing to lose. I need to have a few really good practices before then just to get my mind right.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Monday, June 13

by , June 13th, 2011 at 10:51 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC exercises
    flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 50
    power wheel roll outs, 2 x 15
    power wheel pike ups, 2 x 20
    reverse scoops w/kettleball, 25 x 2 x 15

single arm row, 4 sets of 10 each arm @ 55, 60, 65, 65
    single leg extensions, 4 sets of 10 each leg @ 30
    push press, 50 x 3 x 10
    explosive leg press, 270 x 2 x 10
    bulgarian single leg squats, 30 x 2 x 10 each leg
    knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    200 fly drills

Main Sets:

-- Modified a recent Tall Paul Sprint Option

3 x 100 free w/paddles @ 2:30, descend
    1:08, 1:03, :58
    2 x 50 fast kick @ 1:30
    -- did dolphin kick w/fins & board
    -- went high 26-27
    -- tried to keep my feet underwater more
    100 EZ
    4 x 50 descend @ 1:30
    -- did breast w/fins
    -- 40, 36, 32, high 30-31
    2 x 50 fast kick w/fins & board
    -- did flutter kick
    -- went 27s
    100 EZ

3 x 100 backstroke, cruise @ 2:00
    2 x 50 @ 1:30
    -- 25 fast free w/fins (11s) + 25 DAB
    4 x 25 @ 1:00
    -- burst dolphin kick to 15 m, no fins
    2 x 50 fast kick w/fins (11s) @ 1:30
    100 EZ

Warm Down:

8 x 50
    odds = SSR drill
    evens = fly or breast drill

Total: 2700

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Not sure I got all my drylands. Managed to delete my note on my iphone. Left shoulder is sore. This is probably from the 400 yards of fly yesterday ... No way can I ever really train for the 100 fly with my left shoulder; just have to fake it and dolphin kick. The swim workout seemed way harder than the 2700 yards would suggest! But I felt like I held up pretty well doing two speed workouts in a row. This pool now has 4 digital clocks. I have to remind myself to use them. So much easier to keep track of times with them as opposed to pace clocks.

Just yoga tomorrow.

Updated June 14th, 2011 at 10:31 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  5. Report on Meet #2

by , June 13th, 2011 at 08:34 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Went down to Sarasota for my 2nd meet as an old lady - wasn't too bad, but I think it would've been much more fun if I had some team mates with me - of course, that would be presuming that I had team mates. . .

Got down to the pool with 20 minutes left of warm up - I was in heat 3, fortunately, so I got in a nice little 900 easy for "warm up" - the pool was really cool, especially for Florida summers - nice to have Geothermal cooling!! Went out waaay too fast - and considering the effort, you would think my first 100 would have been an awesome 1:15 or something - no, it was a 1:21. However, I was clever, and had David put my split on the counter, instead of the lap, so I was able to kinda check myself as I went along - was holding mostly 29's & 30's - and felt like a "thrashing slug" by the end. I have a lot of work to do. Saturday was quite fun; the meet started at 11:00, and David & I went to a few of the cute little shops down there, found this adorable Scandinavian Shop, yada yada - started off the 200 free feeling pretty good - and beat what my guessed entry time was by about 5 seconds. (Same on the 800) - the 100 breast was next - and I was sorta feeling the exhaustion around 75m, again, was better than my guess by about 5 seconds. The 400 free was the best - I was in lane four - and I just went out very calmly "long & strong" - and did a 22 for the first 100. Then a 27, 28, 25. Was leading the entire heat until about 325m, when my friends in lanes 5 & 6 turned on the back burners & left me behind. Rather humiliating - that they had that much energy left at the end there!! Gotta get more good training under my belt - especially some repeats on quick intervals. However, once again, beat my guessed entry time by about 5-7 seconds.
    Sunday was the worst - woke up with tummy trouble (probably from Saturday's breakfast) and tried to make it through my events, but ended up scratching - swam the 200 breast trying really hard to not have to get out and vomit - especially at the end where the bulk head was - my fellow swimmers would not have appreciated me if I had!! Drove home with a cool cloth on my head & was still kinda nauseous this AM, so skipped practice (nothing like getting OOB at 5am, driving to the pool, and realizing you should have stayed in bed!!).

Have "relearned" something this weekend - stop worrying about what the other swimmers are doing & whether or not you win your heat, or even your age group - go in there with the attitude that this is a challenge between you and yourself only - can I hold this pace, wonder if I can go such and such time - boy - my stomach was in knots most of Friday & Saturday until the 400, when I decided to just swim my own race - so glad I finally remembered how to do that!!

Next on the agenda: Ocala one day meet in July (200 & 400 free, maybe the 100 or 200 breast just to break it up)
    And Nationals in August. Of course, now David can't go with me, and if I don't have anyone to "be with" I might not go - it's very hard for me to go solo to these things. I do have my hotel reservation, so I might consider asking if anyone (female) wants to split the room - but if she does, I hope she doesn't swim my events!

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. 5K Postal

by , June 13th, 2011 at 02:28 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Didnt swim Saturday and then did the 5k swim yesterday evening with my club in Boise. It went pretty good considering I am not a distance swimmer. Did the swim in just under 1:28 which is my best time of the 3 times I have swam this event. I now have about 6 weeks to prepare to swim the 10K.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. My weekend: Brighton loop + 8 Bridges test swim

I had a really fun weekend of open-water swimming. On Saturday I went to Brighton Beach and swam the 5K loop with my swim buddy Hannah. The day was overcast and on the cool side, and the beach was almost empty. It reminded me of late-fall days out there, when the crowds have left and the CIBBOWS swimmers practically have the beach to ourselves. There was an east wind, and it kicked up some nice rolling waves from that direction. Swimming into them we got tossed around pretty good, and then when we turned around and swam with them it felt like we were just bodysurfing along. The water had warmed up enough that we could stop and chat every half-mile or so, or simply play in the waves, before continuing on. We even did a little IMing on our way back from the pier—fly and breaststroke were really fun going into the waves.

Afterwards we spent a pleasant hour hanging out on the beach with some fellow CIBBOWS swimmers. Cool overcast days are my favorite kind of summer beach day—I actually prefer sitting bundled up on the beach, and not having to worry about getting too hot or getting too much sun. Several other locals who are relay or solo swimmers in next weekend’s around-Manhattan swim were out, so I got to talk about that upcoming event with others who share my excitement. It was a good relaxing morning with friends, and a great way to start to the weekend.

Sunday was part of a second test swim for the upcoming 8 Bridges event. I got up early and took the bus up to New Paltz, then was driven from there to a marina in Saugerties, where we picked up our boat for the day. (In addition to his amazing OW feats, Dave drives a boat pretty well.) We spent the day going to different locations on the river, measuring currents, and doing some swimming. A photographer from my local paper came on board near the Rip van Winkle bridge and took some pictures (we also had a writer with us for the day taking notes—it’s very cool but not surprising that this swim is attracting some media attention!) At one point I tried swimming against the flood current—I think I was in for about a half-hour, and swam for all of 0.4 miles. I started laughing when I was swimming south by the bridge stanchion, and swimming, and swimming, and still looking at the very same brick in the bridge support on every breath.

The stretch of river we were on was breathtakingly beautiful. We started the day nearly 100 miles north of the city, and everything seemed so peaceful and lush up there. During our time on the river we saw a couple of bald eagles, lots of herons (one flew right by our boat with a fish in its mouth), cormorants, and swans in flight. Someone even spotted a beaver or otter in the water by the riverbank. It was so interesting to be out on the water during the change of tides, and sense the river changing direction as morning turned to afternoon. It’s not always obvious when you’re traveling in a boat which direction the water is moving, especially when there’s wind, but as we motored by channel markers I learned from Rondi to look for the eddies behind them to judge the direction and strength of the current. You could also see eddies and little swaths of counter currents near to shore, especially where there were little coves or other interesting shoreline features. And whenever we stopped the boat to gauge the current, it was cool to feel the shift as the boat’s forward momentum gradually gave way to the river’s movement, and to just float along for a bit in whatever direction the river wanted us to go.

We did readings from the Rip Van Winkle Bridge to the Kingston Rhinecliff Bridge. That section will be the first stage of swim in July, one of two stages I’ll be doing. Traveling the length of that swim by boat was great—it gave me a preview of the views I’ll have while I’m stroking along. It was also a bit sobering. That’s a really long swim I’ve signed up for! That part really sunk in during the day’s excursion—I feel I have a new respect for just how far eighteen miles on the river actually is.

After the readings were done, we had time for some just-for-fun swimming before taking the boat back to the marina. We swam north against the ebb current, since that was the direction we needed to take to get home. I got in a stretch of good swimming with Clare, Suzanne, and Rondi. We were swimming not too far from shore, and it was really magical feeling how the current shifted as I moved slightly further in or out in the river. Occasionally I turned around and did a few strokes south—when I was with the current I just flew along, and probably covered the same distance in 6 or 8 strokes that had taken me 20 or 30 when swimming north. The sun poked out from the clouds during our swim, and a heron flew overhead—I did backstroke for a bit to watch it.

After we’d had enough swimming, we got climbed aboard and headed back to the marina—we pulled in just as the rain started to fall, so our timing was really good. Over dinner I got to hear about some of the logistics for the upcoming swim—putting on an event like this is impressively complicated!—as well as discuss some more long-range OW plans, and just celebrate another good day spent on the water with friends. It was an excellent way to close out the weekend. On the train ride home I watched five of the other six stages roll by—the tracks run right along the east side of the Hudson, which makes for a very pretty train trip. We also went over the Spuyten Duyvil bridge, which is a tricky part of the MIMS course where the Harlem River meets up with the Hudson.

And now the appeal: The 8 Bridges swim is raising money for three very worthy causes—Riverkeeper, Launch 5, and CIBBOWS--that are helping to make swimming in the river safe and accessible. I’m really grateful that the river is now a beautiful place to swim, and happy both to support these organizations and to spread the word about their work to my friends. If you’re interested in supporting the 8 Bridges swim and making a donation, click on my fundraising page. Thanks!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -06/14/11

by , June 13th, 2011 at 12:54 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM
    WARM UP:
    2 X 100 2:00 1:45
    2 X 200 3:45 3:30
    4 X 50 1:00 :50
    Two rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

1 X 200 kick 5:00
    2 X 100 kick 2:30
    4 X 50 kick 1:15
    1 X 100 easy swim

5 X 200 Pull 3:20
    Descend 1-5

4 X {3 X 50 1:15
    All choice. Swims 1&2 moderate, #3 @ 100%

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4100M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Monday Workout - 600s

by , June 13th, 2011 at 11:36 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Not much rest today. Dave led the lane until an ex-HS swimmer got warmed up. He cruised, we drafted. Didn't take him too long to drop us but it was fun trying to keep up.

LCM

Warm up
    200 Free/200 Kick/200 Free

200 Br down/Free Back /200 Pull/ 200 Br down/Free Back
    200 Bk down/Free back /200 Kick/ 200 Bk down/Free Back
    200 Fl down/Free Back /200 Pull/ 200 Fl down/Free Back

300 Pull / 300 Free down/ IM Back
    200 Free / 200 IM / 200 Free
    6 x 100 Free

4 x 50 Kick
    200 Free negative split
    4 x 50 Kick
    2 x 100 Free negative split
    4 x 50 Kick

200 Cool Down

(5400m Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. One of Those Days

by , June 13th, 2011 at 11:23 AM (Adventures in Swimming)
    Argh!!!

It started with my right goggle leaking.
    I tightened the strap. No help. I dealt with it for a little while.
    During which I caught my finger on the lane line
    on a push off of the wall on a backstroke turn.

So to the locker room to get another pair of goggles.
    I grabbed 2 pairs. A speedo socket rocket someone gave me.
    And a pair of clear Swedish No gasket ones.

Well the speedo's were dark but didn't leak.
    I used them for 10 min's or so. Still couldn't
    seem to get moving. So I switched to the clear
    Swedish. It was amazing. I instantly felt like swimming.
    So the last 15 min's of practice felt good.

So from now on clear goggles inside!!! Save the
    dark ones for outside swim's.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. 400's

by , June 13th, 2011 at 09:02 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Testing out the elbow, still having issues.

Had 2 ultrasound treatments, as well as ice and heat. I think my computer work is not helping at all either.

3x400@:10 Free
    400 Free kick w/fins
    400 Back w/fins 10 kicks then stroke
    400 Free w/fins kick rotational
    400 Back (testing my elbow)
    400 Free w/snorkle easy

Total 3200 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Sunday, June 12, 2011 LCM Pentathalon Results - Corvallis

by , June 13th, 2011 at 12:25 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Wow, what a meet. ~40 people: 5 heats doing the 50s, 2 heats doing the 200s, and 3 heats doing the 100s, then a 10 minute break and repeat. They only swam with 4 swimmers per heat to make it last a little longer, but we were still getting pretty tired. It felt more like an extended rest lactate workout.
    My gridge with That Guy has been completed. He beat me in the 200 Back, and I took the other 4 races.

200 Back: 2:39.49
    1:17.4/1:22.0
    I was 2 seconds slower on this race, and not sure why. My 2:37 was outdoor in windy and sunny conditions, yet today was indoors. I don't know.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2LQxtpti-k"]YouTube - ‪6-12-11 200 LCM Back - Corvallis, OR‬‏[/nomedia]

I'm in Lane 4, That Guy in Lane 3

200 Free: 2:12.80 (best masters time by 2 seconds) New LMSC Record.
    1:04.0/1:08.7
    I felt really good on this one. I still remember TG's comment afterwards. He said something like "well you were too far ahead of me to try to catch up, so I just hoped you swam a fast time". Thanks TG!!!
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzIRsEGgYGE"]YouTube - ‪6-12-11 200 LCM Free - Corvallis, OR‬‏[/nomedia]

I'm in Lane 3, That Guy in Lane 4

200 Breast: 3:04 (6 sec. slow, 4 sec. slower than last week) BUT...
    I did a 100 Breast split request in this one. I had an outside shot at the 100 Breast LMSC record, and this would be my last opportunity so I went for it.
    100 Record: 1:21.40
    Did: 1:22.03 (missed it by .63 seconds)
    I looked up at my split on the clock and was a little dissappointed, but it was a crapshoot if I made it anyway, and I still had my gridge with TG, so I couldn't swim too easy on the next 100.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds3JgqzzKcc"]YouTube - ‪6-12-11 200 LCM Breast (100 Split) - Covallis, OR‬‏[/nomedia]

I'm in Lane 4, That Guy in Lane 2
    Video Note: My dad was following the wrong guy (with red cap) so I missed the last 50.

200 Fly: 2:29.89 (3 seconds slower that last week)
    1:10.7/1:19.1
    Good splits, I was just tired. I didn't want to take it out very hard cause I would've been killed. I did know that all the other competitors were probably feeling the same, if not worse that I was so I just pushed on. Coming off the last wall I just did a superman streamline glide with no SDKs but I felt OK so I went for it on the last 50. It hurt, but no piano. Kept my breathing 2/1 or 1/1 throughout the majority of the race.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtBlUXSy93Q"]YouTube - ‪6-12-11 200 LCM Fly - Corvallis, OR‬‏[/nomedia]

400 IM: 5:28.21 (5 seconds slower)
    1:10.9/1:29.3/1:36.4/1:11.5
    Wow, I was tired by this point. I semi-pushed the fly, cruised the back (TG passed me here), breaststroke exploded off the wall for my 1st pullout to catch TG, and freestyle never looked back. I felt good considering the circumstances of the day.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4lpI1v8p0s"]YouTube - ‪6-12-11 400 LCM IM - Corvallis, OR‬‏[/nomedia]

This was a tough day and I'm glad its over. No more LCM Distance Pentathalons for me (at least this year).

Oh and to add to the list:
    Pools I’ve competed in since starting Masters (Mar. 2009) SCY unless noted

• King County Aquatics Center, Federal Way, WA
    • Whitworth University, Spokane, WA
    • Sandpoint West Athletic Club, Sandpoint, ID (SCM)
    • Briggs YMCA, Olympia, WA
    • Wenatchee High School, Wenatchee, WA
    • Helene Madison Swim Center, Seattle, WA
    • University of Idaho – Moscow, Moscow, ID
    • Hood River Aquatics Center, Hood River, OR (SCM)
    • Tualitan Hills Recreation Center, Beaverton, OR (LCM)
    • Mount Hood Community College, Gresham, OR (LCM)
    • Bainbridge H.S. Aquatic Center, Bainbridge, WA
    • South Davis Recreation Center, Bountiful, UT (SCM)
    • Oak Harbor Aquatic Center, Oak Harbor, WA (SCM)
    • Canby Swim Center, Canby, OR
    • Juanita H.S. Aquatics Center, Kirkland, WA
    • Ray & Joan Kroc Center, Coeur d’Alene, ID (SCM)
    • Seattle University – Connoly Center, Seattle, WA
    • Kino Aquatics Center, Mesa, AZ
    • Orchard’s Pool, Lewiston, ID (LCM)
    • Wenatchee City Pool, Wenatchee, WA (LCM)
    • Osbourne Aquatic Center, Corvallis, OR (LCM)

Updated June 13th, 2011 at 01:14 AM by jaadams1

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Meets
  13. Sunday, June 12

by , June 12th, 2011 at 10:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 EZ

10 x 25 shooters

10 x 50 w/paddles @ :50
    odds = free
    evens = kick

Speed Sets:

8 x burst 25s dolphin kick on belly @ 1:00

100 EZ

8 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ) @ whatever
    4 kick, 4 swim

8 x 50 fly w/fins @ 100 LC easy speed pace (breathing often) @ 2:00
    -- went 29s
    -- I was having trouble breathing on these. Probably need to start using my asthma medication more regularly given the air quality. Plus, I waited 2 weeks to refill my singulair -- dumb. I hope this improves; hard to do lactate sets otherwise.

50 EZ

8 x 50 dolphin kick w/fins @ 1:00
    odds = easy
    evens = fast (went 27-28)

200 EZ

Total: 3600

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Took yesterday off. Spent a chunk of the day having Fort Son fitted for his Felt F4 bike and getting bike gear. He promptly went off on a 65 mile ride with Mr. Fort, who pronounced him a natural.

Made it to the pool today for some speed work. Spent much of the rest of the day at the mall () getting needed items for the vaca -- only 5 days till we leave.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Two months away; Insanity completed

by , June 12th, 2011 at 09:28 PM (Why I swim . . .)
    Haven't swum since April 18th. Looking forward to going back to NOVA tomorrow!!!

Completed Insanity (great results!) and then took a week off but ran two times during that week.

Can't wait to get back into it!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Lake side Sunday

by , June 12th, 2011 at 02:55 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Last night some type of front must have passed through this area because I was greeted by 57 degrees of crisp, breezy sunshine! The lake temperature was posted to have plummeted down from 81to 74....Perfect!
    My friend Beth and I jumped in and enjoyed great water for a 2+ mile swim. We probably would have done the whole 5K but an annoying ski boat kept buzzing around going way too fast in the no-wake zone. This type thing makes me nervous and gets me out of the perfect zen swimming mood very quickly, so we headed back to the dock and settled with what we had.
    On the way home we stopped at the charming "Broccoli Bill's" organic grocery store. We got some yummy cookies to munch on the way home! I also scored some great looking salmon for the grill and a couple delicious peached!
    Happy Sunday !
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Slipping out Saturday

by , June 11th, 2011 at 05:56 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Due to predicted storms this morning we worked out at Monon Center. I had to get up extra early and slip out the back end of my neighborhood due to the 1st annual Carmel Marathon, Half Marathon, and 8K Runs which ended up shutting entrances and exits to Brookshire down for a few hours.
    If I'd realized today was my 6th day in a row I would have stayed home and slept. Truthfully I ended up swimming like I was still in bed. I just wasn't into it at all. Tomorrow morning we're swimming at the lake. I am hoping the Morse proves to engage me a little more than the pool.
    **3 X (400 Free / 200 IM / 100 Free / 50 Free) ? interval
    **300 Kick with no fins
    **8 X 25 kick w/ no fins.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Easy float in the Bath Water Pool

by , June 11th, 2011 at 03:52 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Did not do too much today. Did some coaching of the masters swimmers and then the kids came in. I figure I would finish the week with an easy workout. Hoping my elbow will be better by next weekend at the meet.

5x200@3:30 Free
    500 Free kick
    500 Broken

Total 2000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Saturday Workout

by , June 11th, 2011 at 03:16 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    Short course today. Kind of good to go back to the old walls for a while.

SCY

700 Warm up 400 IM/300 Free easy

4 x 100 Free - 1:30
    600 Kick/Drill/Swim

2 Times through
    * 200 Kick
    * 4 x 50 Kick - 1:00
    * 200 IM
    * 4 x 75 IM Order (50 Easy/25 Hard) - 1:30

3 Times through
    * 200 Pull
    * 25 Free
    * 50 Free
    * 75 Free
    * 100 Free Hard

200 Easy

6 x 75 - Kick/Drill/IM

200 Cool Down

(5700 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. One long week!

Our team just finished a week of free swim lessons while participating in the Swimming Saves Lives program. We had three sessions each night from 5:15 till 8:00 each night. I have to admit that some how it wore me out but it was all worth it! We tried to target children and adults that normally would not have a chance to take swim lessons. I still think that the team had more fun than the students.

Numerous people have signed up for lessons next week and throughout the entire summer. My favorite comment that I heard was from a man that was so proud of himself that he said he going to take a picture of himself with his certificate and post it on facebook. I recieved numerous hugs and even a note written in crayon that said "I love you."

What a AWESOME program!!!

Anyways, I was hoping for a light practice this morning and was what we got.

400 Mix up
    5 x 50 Br swim
    4 x 50 Br kick
    Alternating Genie drill and holding a weight

3 x through w/fins
    2 x 150 Fl kick
    1. On back holding a weight
    2. On stomach
    2 x 25 AFAP kick on back

5 x 50 fly
    4 x 100 back
    3 x 150 breast
    2 x 300 free

200 w/d

Just what I needed to finish out a busy work week along with the fun lesson schedule. Genie drill is when you fold your arms in front of you and then just kick breast stroke. The goal is to keep you hips up and head down. You move slow but it works.

I would love to have a nap but since I have not had one since my girls entered the world I will go on with my regular Sat. chores.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Swim-Friday

by , June 11th, 2011 at 12:53 AM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Swimming with total cerebral engagement was today's theme during a solo swim @ Monon Center. All the freestyle was done totally working on form and not on an interval.

**250 Freestyle / 250 Pull / 200 Kick / 200 IM
    **4 X 75 Drill/Swim/Drill Freestyle rest :15
    **4 X 50 Drill/Swim Freestyle rest :10
    **200 Freestyle extend middle finger to wall. Breath every 3 strokes.
    **300 Pull w/ paddles
    **400 Free straight swim rest 1:00
    **2 X 200 Free rest :15 between
    **4 X 100 Free rest :10 between
    **4 X 100 IM @ 2:00

3,500 scy

I am systematically going to work my way through Swim Smooth's "Catch Masterclass." On Nasti nights I'll do the regular workouts with the team but on my solo days I'm doing all technique work.
    The dvd is divided into lessons all focusing on developing a good catch and feel for the water. Each lesson has 4 or 5 drills to supplement the lesson and a video of world class swimmer's demonstrating the skill properly executed. I hope this helps. I may need a coach of some sort to check me out every now and then to make sure I'm on the right track. I've got one in mind.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	250076_2030489758413_1129186815_2399382_1922304_s.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	6656