View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Memorial Day, 2012

by , May 28th, 2012 at 11:53 AM (Workout Swimmer)
    I feel like I snuck in a workout today, since it was supposed to be nasty & rainy due to Tropical Storm Beryl - but she has stalled over Jacksonville, FL, and we got in the whole workout! In fact, it was sunny & beautiful outside until about 10:30am! I swam with ATAC for the first time since surgery , and swam in the fastest Pre-Senior lane. I am torn between this lane and the slowest Senior lane - partly because the kids are older in the Senior lanes - but they are faster in that particular Pre-Senior lane (the boys are, anyway) and the intervals are quite a bit more generous. Hmmm, should I get more rest & theoretically be able to do higher quality swims? Or should I choose the tighter interval & push myself to go fast enough to get more rest, thus really working on my distance events?

600 back/free
    600 pull
    300 kick
    200 easy
    5 x 200 on 3:15 (nice & easy interval!!)
    200 easy
    10 x 100 kick on 2:15
    200 easy
    10 x 100 breast/free on 2:00 (again, nice & easy interval - got 20+ sec rest each)
    200 easy
    1500 steady state, catching HR at 500 & 1000 (~130)
    Total: 6800 LCM

Got out early so I would be able to actually use the showers - lots of kids there today, so the 10 minute head start was worth it!

Updated May 29th, 2012 at 09:16 AM by Celestial

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Post Championship Blahs

by , May 28th, 2012 at 11:25 AM (Canuck Countdown)
    Nationals ended one week ago. Since then, I've done 4 workouts:

Tuesday, May 22 = 3,700 meters
    Thursday, May 24 = 3,800 meters
    Saturday, May 26 = 3,600 meters (LCM)
    Sunday, May 27 = 3,000 meters (LCM)

The two hardest days so far were Thursday and Saturday.

Here's a set from Thursday:

10 x 50 free @ 1:00 as
    50 smooth
    50 at 200 pace -2
    50 smooth
    50 at 200 pace -1
    50 smooth
    50 at 200 pace
    50 smooth
    50 at 200 pace
    50 smooth
    50 at 200 pace

I hit pace (i.e., desired split for 3rd 50 of 200 free) on the last four (31 to 32), but didn't quite get to -2 on the first one.

Here's a set from Saturday (LCM):

20 x 50 free @ 1:00 as
    5 x 50 smooth (held :36s)
    5 x 50 at 200 pace (held :32s)
    4 x 50 smooth
    3 x 50 at 200 pace
    2 x 50 smooth
    1 x 50 FAST! (from dive) (29)

During warmup on Saturday, my delts and lats were tight and heavy with lactic acid. At the end of Saturday's workout, I was done!

I cut my finger preparing lunch on Sunday. During workout, the bandage came off and the cut re-opened, so I missed 500 meters of one set while stopping the bleeding and re-bandaging; then missed another 200 meters when I had to get out again to tape the bandage as it was starting to unravel.

Sunday's workout felt like MID-SEASON BLAH. This concerns me because I'm off to Italy in only 11 days and racing 3 days after that! Will it all come together in time?

Updated May 28th, 2012 at 11:45 AM by lewba

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Excited and nervous

I had a fairly quiet swim at RB this morning. The water was a good temp, and we were only 2-3 to a lane. Here’s what I did:

1000 lcm warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, 200 RIM d/s by 25s)

3 x 100 FR/BK @ 2:00, desc. 1-3 (1:40 > 1:28]

2 x 200 FR/BK, 1st easy, 2nd faster

100 easy

4 x 50 with fins, 1st easy, others 15m fast FR breakout then easy

200 warmdown

Stretching session on the outdoor playground

I’ve been feeling quite edgy all week, and this morning was no exception. Silly little things have been exasperating me—today I was sore tempted to go wrest “my” kickboard from the thieving hands of the swimmer who had borrowed it from my lane and was kicking happily down the pool. (I settled for just glaring at her.) This badtemperedness is unusual for me,and disconcerting—I think it’s just nerves about the upcoming meet and trip. I’m not at all an experienced international traveler, and I’m a little worried about managing all the details once I’m there. I’m also nervous about how I’ll swim—I especially want to be able to turn in some strong efforts on relays. I keep reminding myself that whatever happens, I’ll be surrounded by warm and caring teammates who will help me out as needed and be supportive no matter what—and that’s a comforting thought and I need to just focus on that!

Some Iceland details:

Team New York is unabashedly out to win the IGLA swimming championship. I don’t know if we’ll be the largest swim team there, but with our biggest turnout for a meet ever(!) we might well be. Our women’s contingent is especially strong--women are always a small minority of swimmers at IGLA meets, and with 17 of us from New York it looks from the heat sheets like we will account for about 35-40 percent of the swimmers in the women’s events. Our guys will have more competition, but we have both some scary fast swimmers and a good mix of ages and should do well there too.

Competition in diving, water polo, synchronized swimming, and Pink Flamingo will also be held over the same 4 days as the meet. Our diving team has really grown since it was started less two years ago, and I think all our divers will be crossing over to swim as well—a logistical challenge since those competitions are held in different pools. The water polo competition will be held in the afternoons at the same pool as the swim meet. I played for the TNYA water polo squad for a few years, and I hope to be able to stick around and cheer on my former teammates in of their matches.

The synchronized swimming competition will be the first synchro event ever held in the country! To accommodate public curiousity about the sport, our Reykjavik hosts have added a synchro exhibition to the lineup. (It will also feature the diving winners plus selected “gutsy divers.”) They predict a packed house for the event. There’s also a couple of synchro workshops that are being held by the San Francisco Tsunami team—it might be fun to go to the one being held after the swim competition. (The one the day before the swimming starts would probably be a bad idea.) The Pink Flamingo competition/show concludes the festivities, and is a fabulous cabaret/synchro/dance/costumed aquatic spectacle. I have small part in our team’s entry, so will be able to watch it all from on deck!

I’ll be staying in an apartment with Hannah and Amanda—they’ve already arrived and tell me that we are near the shore, with a water view! It looks like it will be walking distance to the beach where the open-water swim will be held—we might just have to check out that venue early.

We’ve been warned that local customs dictate a very thorough nude shower before donning one’s suit and hopping in the pool. This document details the practice in an amusing Brit-meets-Scandinavian-sensibility sort of way. My teammates who swam in Copenhagen (IGLA 2009) are familiar with this practice—there was apparently a shower monitor there who would tell swimmers to try again if their first efforts were not thorough enough! My only concern is remembering to bring my competition suit out on deck with me—don’t want to have to reshower before trying to put on a tight semi-legged suit.

And finally—Iceland is going to be cool! Looks like highs in the 50s, lows in the 40s. I think some of my teammates who are already over there—and whose reports are trickling back via fb and email—are a little shocked at the chilly temps. But that’s average te for Reykjavik this time of year. After the last few days of hot sticky NYC weather I’m looking forward to some cool days. But I’m definitely bringing my swim parka. Gotta stay warm between hot tubs!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Monday, May 28, 2012 5:00am

by , May 28th, 2012 at 10:17 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Yep, we were swimming on this holiday. Our pool was open, but yet we can control that since the coach has the key, and as long as we arrange for a guard, all is good.

I had an ambitious set in mind for this morning's workout, since I didn't have to get to work today. But, my body told me otherwise after slugging through 2/3 of it. I wasn't feeling the greatest this weekend, head cold, congestion, and just blah!! The good thing was that this morning I was able to do flip turns, but if I would've been another foot or so deeper underwater, I'm sure my head would've imploded!!

Warmup:
    300 Free
    300 Free Pull
    200 Kick w/ board
    200 Free

Main Set: Build up to a 400 IM

12 x 400
    • #1-4 @ 5:30, #5-8 @ 5:45, #9-12 @ 6:00
    • First one 25 Fly/375 Free
    • Second one 50 Fly/350 Free
    • Keep adding an additional length of the IM on each successive rep
    • #12 will then be a full 400 IM!
    -----------------------
    4200 Yards (5800 Yards had I completed the whole set)

I haven't done this set since college days, and today (at least on paper) seemed like a good day to do it.

I ended up only making it through 8 of the 400s though before having to throw in the towel. I just got to the point of where it wasn't fun anymore, and I was having to try way to hard to keep going. Sure, for most of you the fun would've never started, but I normally should've been able to handle this no problem.

At least I don't have to work today, at least not paid work...

=================================

The photographer's photos from Canadian Nationals are now available to view (and save) online. There are hundreds of pictures to look through from the 4 days
    http://oksportphoto.com/?cat=3

Updated May 28th, 2012 at 10:46 AM by jaadams1

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Daily Practices
  5. Sunday, May 27

by , May 27th, 2012 at 06:27 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

550 various

10 x 50 fly drills
    odds = caterpillar
    evens = single arm

5 x (25 EZ speed fly + 25 EZ)

5 x 50 breast

5 x 50 back

50 EZ

Total: 1850

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just did an easy recovery swim at the summer league pool. It confirmed I could never actually work out in 4 feet deep water.

Fort Son has announced he wants to do some swimming this summer and needs a new suit. Do you guys have any recommendations? All I know is that he is not supposed to wear jammers anymore.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Sunday LCM; P90X end week "9"

by , May 27th, 2012 at 03:22 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I put that in quotes since I went straight to weeks #9 and #10, and now doing the 2 recovery weeks #8 and #13, then back to #11, #12 after my 2 swim meets.

Today I went to LCM SMU workout at 9AM. That was hard because we went out to eat last night and I got the stuffed jalepenos as my meal, not wanting to share the 6 fried delights. Boy did I pay for that!!!

500 warm up
    but I stopped at 300
    just didn't feel like swimming any more warmup

10 x 100's
    1 easy on 1:45
    1 strong on 1:40
    2 strong on 1:35
    3 strong on 1:30

That was sort of hard. Averaged 1:20s on the fast ones.
    But I felt a bit better after the set!

8 x 50's on 1:10
    first 1/3 UW kick; easy swim/fast feet & sprint last 10 meters (held under :35 total time; used Speedo Optimus fins)

12 x 50's
    3 on 1:10 stroke "descend"
    1 easy on 1:15
    fly :37/back :40/breast ???
    Not super fast.

The End

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    That was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I much prefer swimming in a slower lane, going first with clear water, and getting longer intervals and put some umph into them. There is something so nice about the people in lane 3 and lower. They don't have the egos of lanes 1 and 2.

I went to the movie theatre which is something I rarely do. We saw Men in Black III and it was great - just like the other MIBs.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have decided that once I am through the first cycle of P90X, here is roughly what I will target:

Sat/Sun
    1 upper body, rotating through the 4: Chest & Back, Shoulders & Arms, Back & Biceps, and Chest, Shoulders, & Triceps; + ab ripper X,
    1 Legs and Back + ab ripper X

Twice on Weekdays:
    Plyo X
    Core X

Plus, selected exercises on my own for warm up/warm downs each time from:
    Yoga X
    Stretch X
    my own stretching

I don't think it is sustainable to continue every night with P90X. But I think it would be very manageable to do it on the weekends for sure, and then the 2 days per week for 4 days total. I'm starting to memorize a lot of the moves, and over time, I might even stop the videos and simply write a list with reps or time for my own workouts. The key is with the small decrease in P90X shape, that I conciously replace it with speed and refinement in swim speed. The point is to back off of nonspecfici dryland conditioning, and picking it back up in the pool!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. A Festive Week

by , May 26th, 2012 at 10:53 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Socially, this week has been quite wonderful. Friends visiting town and friends on a break from work have put together all kinds of gatherings that have kept me outside getting lots of sun. Have had a couple of celebrations this week for my birthday. What a great week it has been. Even got in my 3 cardio workouts for the week - 2 swims and a Zumba workout (my first). Also got in one weight-lifting workout. Am continuing to walk at least 1.3 miles each day.

Really enjoy the Zumba workout and think I will make it a regular thing on Wednesday mornings. The walking also is quite enjoyable.

On weights, I have resumed heavy lifting again. The workout was as follows:

Bench press: bar x 5, 65 x 5, 3 sets of 90 x 5

Lat hi row: 90 x 5, 3 sets of 110 x 5

Hammer curls: 3 sets of 12 x 10

Squats: bar x 10, 2 sets of 95 x 10

Captain's chair leg lifts: 2 sets of 10

Today the outdoor pool opened and I got there just when the pool opened for the day. Got in 2200 SCM as follows:

200 kick on side with fins

200 dolphin kick on back

4 x 50 : 25 back/25 free

4 x 50 with fins: 25 rt/25 lt fly

4 x 50: 3 rt/3 lt/3 full fly

200 dolphin kick

4 x 50 3 rt/3 lt/3 full fly

4 x 50 free with fins

200 kick on side with fins

4 x 50: 25 AFAP fly with fins/25 easy

200 easy

Followed my swim with a strawberry daiquari from the poolside bar.

Plan to hit the pool again tomorrow.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Saturday May 26

PM Weights

Dips
    Body weight (161 lb.), 10 sets of 3

When I did dips last week I used 10 lb. of assistance and struggled with the last few sets. Jazz counseled against struggling for more than 2-3 seconds per rep so I was going to go back to 20 lb. assistance, but I felt strong in the pool and during drylands this week so I decided to try one rep unassisted to see how they felt. It was much easier than I expected so I did another, then another, and soon enough I was through all 10.

Calf raises on the Smith machine
    205 lb., 6 sets of 10

I found a higher platform this time

Inverted rows, bodyweight (161)

Standing face pulls
    50 lb., 6 sets of 10

Seated low row
    60 lb., 1 set of 10
    80 lb., 1 set of 10
    100 lb. 4 sets of 10

Abductor machine
    120 lb., 1 set of 10
    130 lb., 4 sets of 10
  9. 05.26.12 - Saturday workout

by , May 26th, 2012 at 08:56 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam at the Prattville, AL Y. Met Ulf who swam against (and beat) me in a couple breaststroke events at Auburn in February. I wasn't sure if the Y would let me in since I'm not a member so I called ahead. They were really nice and put me on a list for visitors for the master's workout. However, if I stayed a minute extra, they were going to hit me with a drop-in fee. I had 45 minutes and tried to make the most of it, but I was very grateful to have a place to swim.

SCY

400 warm up (IM easy)
    25 easy - get to the shallow end where I could see the clock.

4 x 100 - 1:25
    4 x 100 - 1:20
    4 x 100 - 1:15
    50 easy

400 timed (4:50) - shooting for 4:40. Came up a little short.

200 IM Easy - cool down

(2275 total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. It's summer at the beach!

I had a very nice swim at Brighton today—a 5k loop in beautiful bright sunshine and sparkly clear water. The sea was in a deep green mood, with some nice rolling waves in both directions that made it feel like the ocean was playing gently with us. I got in with Dave, Rondi, and John and headed out to the pier. The going seemed a little slow, but it was fun going so I didn’t care. We stopped and chatted a bit once we arrived near the pier, and watched the lifeguards in their matching orange trunks do their boot camp exercises on shore. It’s nice that the water has warmed up enough pause for a visit out in the waves. Beach synchro season is definitely approaching!

The trip back was just as nice. This was the beach’s official opening weekend, and the lifeguards were out for the first time this season. It’s nice to be able to mark your progress from one bright orange lifeguard umbrella to the next. I kept on marveling at how pretty and deep green the water looked. It was very inviting, especially compared to the bright glare of the sun, and I dove down a few times just to feel surrounded by it.

At some point my three companions stopped and waited up for me. John tried to scare me by swimming under me--didn't work!--then dove down to find a razor clam. Once we regrouped I got to synchro swam with Dave for a bit on the way to the white building. Once we got within 25 yards of it I stopped to talk to Rondi, and ended up floating the rest of the way—it didn’t take long, since the current that way was pretty strong! The ½ mile back to our starting point was into that current was slow going, but I didn’t care—it was one of those days where I didn’t much want to get out of the water anyway. I swam through some shallower water on the way in, over a meadow of swirly green seaweed. I watched the buildings go by as we neared our starting point at Grimaldo’s chair, and marveled at the number of other swimmers and beachgoers out this week. Summer really has arrived!

It was tempting to swim more, but I’m being careful about not overtiring myself between now and the meet next week. Once back on shore, I visited quickly with the CIBBOWS folks and munched on some cookies before heading back to the city. This will probably be my last OW swimming before Iceland, and I was glad it was such a beauty of a day! Hurray for summer!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. heat and sun really can drain you

by , May 26th, 2012 at 07:03 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    I did my usual double duty both swimming and coaching. Felt better than I have the last few days even after a two hour drive which usually locks my back up.

I have to be better at loosening up. i am running the recovery program compex on my quads and hamstrings. Next up the lower back.

Well how did it go? Not bad. I matched my 100 fly from last years lcm Nationals and I did it in the heat without a tech suit! 1:40.?? Not great but not bad either.I could tell I died just shy of 50 meters probably at about 45 meters.

I never understand why the 50 free is always at the end of the meet. I want it near the beginning. I just died on this, it was horrid 36.12. I can go faster from a push in practice.

Well tonight I will finish witht the Compex recovery and then hit the weightroom.

I also need to read up on nutrition and figure out how to lose a few more pounds but still keep strong.

I will also have to decide soon if I will swim in the Cuttino meet mid june or just coach. I know I will be as beat down as I am now becuse taper starts the day after. Maybe I should swim something different like breast or back.

Total 1500 meters

Updated May 27th, 2012 at 02:48 PM by Donna

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Saturday, May 26

by , May 26th, 2012 at 05:57 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands, 80 min

rehab exercises, 25 min
    deadlifts, warm ups, 115 x 1 x 5, 135 x 1 x 5, 145 x 3 x 5
    low row, 100 x 1 x 6, 110 x 3 x 6
    leg abductor, 120 x 4 x 8
    reverse preacher curls, 30 x 2 x 8
    -- stopped because elbows were twitchy after the deadlifts
    explosive leg press, 230 x 3 x 10
    power wheel roll outs, 2 x 25

altitude drops + jumps, 3 x 5
    knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10
    med ball slams, 2 x 10
    handstands, 10
    ropes:
    alternating waves: 2 x 50
    double waves: 3 x 25

Stretching/Yoga, 30 min

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I usually take Saturday off. But Teen Fort is away at rowing nationals and Lil Fort only had soccer today. So while she was at the pool with her friends afterward, I hit the gym.

This was a good week workout wise. I shook off the post Greensboro blahs and got in 4 quality swims, 3 with parachutes, 2 lengthy dryland sessions and lots of stretching/yoga. I may aim for a recovery swim tomorrow at our summer swim pool -- if the lanes aren't full! They're usually in pretty high demand.

13. 12K... finally.

by , May 26th, 2012 at 04:13 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    The planets were all aligned properly. Even though I got a late start today, I still managed to finish my first 12K continuous swim (SCY--I'm still stuck in the box at the YMCA: motor-boat races on my usual lake venue. After this weekend I should be able to get out on the open water a few days a week).

The first 10K was in 3:24.00, which may be my fastest 10K time yet... I'll have to go back and check. I had one short bathroom break at 4K, so it was probably closer to 3:22.00. I'm still mixing in 100 breast after every 1000 free, so I'm pretty happy with this time... it means I can plan on breaking 3:20:00 this summer in the 10K. After 10K I put it into low gear and churned away on the last 2200 yards... trying to maintain a nice, slow rhythm (I was hurting pretty bad at this point). I finished the final 2K in 44 minutes, which brought me in for a total time of 4 hours and 8 minutes. That's a long time in the chlorine!

For the month I'm over 55 miles now; second month in a row with 55+ miles. Also had my second 16+ mile week in a row (another first for me). All this mileage had me briefly back in the top 10 for GTD age group. I think I'm back to 11th place now, but might sneak back into the top 10 with today's 7.5-mile swim!

On another note, I managed to sign up for the USMS OW 5K last weekend... just in time to get the early-registration rate. I'm looking forward to that. Thursday I did 5K continuously in the pool, playing with different paces, to see what might feel comfortable at that distance (obviously, I'll be able to swim a lot harder than for 10K or 10 miles). I did 1000 Easy (17:40), 100 breast, 1000 a little harder (17:20), 100 breast, 1000 at my BASE pace (16:40), 100 breast, 1000 a little easier (17:30), 100 breast, and finished off with a relaxed 1000 (17:50?), and one last 100 breast. It felt pretty good; I'm not sure if I could maintain the BASE pace for the full 5K, but something around 17:00-17:20 per 1000 might be doable. We'll see. I'm looking forward to it!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Saturday, 5/26/12 Swimming in the rain!

by , May 26th, 2012 at 12:47 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Was raining intermittently while I was swimming this morning. Kind of cool to be underwater looking up at the raindrops on the surface of the pool.

Outside in SCM pool

Warm up: 400 choice
    4 x 50 with paddles/1:05
    - 25 kick strong (no board, use paddles) - 25 swim build
    4 x 25/35 burst + cruise

Main Set:
    3 x (2 x 100 @ 2:00 - 2:30 + 200 EZ)
    - did all free on these

Round 1
    100 @ 80-85% - 1:26
    100 AFAP broken :10 @ 50 - 1:19
    200 EZ

Round 2
    100 @ 85-90 - 1:22
    100 AFAP broken :10 @ 25, :15 @ 50 - 1:17
    200 EZ

Round 3
    100 @ 95% w/fins and paddles - 1:11
    100 AFAP broken :10 @ 25, :10 @ 50, :15 @ 75 - also with fins & paddles, - 1:05
    200 EZ

5 x 100 EZ - mix swim, kick, drill, scull
    - did 100 back, 100 back kick, 100 free, 100 free kick, 100 scull

Kick Set
    8 x 25 easy speed shooters w/fins or monofin
    - did these on 45, started to get calf cramps during ths set.

Last Set:
    3 x 100 free no breathing in or out of turns/2:00 easy speed
    - was around 1:32-3 on these, still cramping so stopped after these and did warmdown

Warm down
    100 ez

Total: 3000 meters

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Saturday 5/26/12

Saturday 5/26

AM only LCM

Unmotivated and sore from this week, so I decided to "recover" today.

200 swim
    8x50 @ 1:05 drill
    8x100 @ 2:00 50 kick/50 bld

3x100 @ 1:40 D1-3 IM
    6x100 @ 1:20 hold red HR
    3x100 @ 1:40 D1-3 IM

Total: 2600
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Good Swim today - 05/25/12

by , May 26th, 2012 at 09:40 AM (Workout Swimmer)
    The last two days have been rather unproductive in the water due to a lower back ache that made it uncomfortable, and severe carb restriction, which sapped my energy on Thursday. Next time I decide to restrict carbs, I'm going to make sure that I have two or three days afterward that do not involve exercising (like there ever are) - I felt fine out of the water, but in the water, just could not get my get up and go going, if you know what I mean. Live and learn.

500 back/free
    500 pull
    400 kick (w/zoomers)
    100 EZ
    16 x 50 @ :50
    100 EZ
    8 x 100 @ 1:40, holding between 1:27 - 1:30
    4 x 200, stroke/free by 50
    10 x 50 @ :50, every 3rd off stroke
    500 steady state
    100 EZ
    Total: 5100

Felt like I had a good swim today, and certainly got in some good distance. I didn't have to work, so felt free to stay as long as I wanted to. After the 4 x 200 I didn't really know what to do, and my arms were kinda dead, so the last 1000 meters was sort of just "time in the water". But I did do 5100.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Friday, May 25, 2012 5:00am & 5:00pm

by , May 25th, 2012 at 10:24 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    A.M. Workout

I didn't quite feel right this morning, maybe some virus thing or something.

200 Free
    300 Free Pull
    10 x 50 SDK on back w/ fins @ 1:00 (:35-:38s)
    300 IM Drill

-----------------------
    1300 and out

Felt so achy all over I just pulled the plug on this one. If I feel better after work I'll try again.

============================

Much better now.

P.M. Workout

5 x 100 Free @ 1:30 w/up

5 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:20 desc. (went from 1:09 to 1:04)

20 x 25 Kick w/ board @ :35
    • Odds - "normal" flutter kick
    • Evens - flutter kick w/ kickboard in submerged tombstone position (90 degrees to the water), but held it sideways so that it is approx. 2 feet wide x 1 foot high just under the surface of the water (went :32-33s)
    Main Set:

8 x 125 Free Pull on Descending Interval (1:50 to 1:15)
    • from the 1:50 to 1:30 interval (held 1:25s)
    • 1:25 (went 1:22)
    • 1:20 (went 1:19ish) touched at far wall, turned to look at clock and pushed off
    • 1:15 (went 1:17) - well, at least I made the attempt. I didn't plan on making the interval when I originally made up the set, but I figured better to push myself than to be too easy.
    • Added up these times make an 11:03 for a 1000 time. Not bad - about 18 second off my best time, yeah it was broken and I had paddles...
    100 EZ

25 Fly @ :30
    50 Fly @ 1:00
    75 Fly @ 1:30
    100 Fly @ 2:00 (went 1:03)

50 EZ and out

---------------------------
    2900 Yards
  18. Friday 5/25/12

Friday 5/25 (Friday Fly Day)

AM and PM LCM

AM swim:

500 swim
    400 kick w/ fins + board

12x50 @ 1:00 w/ fins
    odd: FL kick under H2O (take 1 FL stroke each breath)
    even: smooth FR

24x50 25 fast/25 EZ
    16 @ 1:10 w/ parachute
    8 @ :50 swim

300 EZ

Total: 3000

PM swim:

500 swim
    200 FL kick on side
    6x100 @ 1:45
    odd: k/sw/dr/bld FL
    even: smooth FR

12x100 D1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12
    1 @ 1:25
    1 @ 1:20
    1 @ 1:15

100 EZ

w/ fins:
    3x100 @ 1:45 FL kick on back
    4x50 @ 1:00 1-arm FL
    3x100 @ 1:45 50 bld FR/50 FL w/ 2 extra kicks after each pull
    4x50 @ 1:00 V.S. FL

100 EZ

25x50 @ :45 alternating 5 FL/5 FR.
    150 EZ

5x100 @ 2:00 scull/sw/dr/sw

Total: 5600
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -05/28/12

by , May 25th, 2012 at 04:12 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters GOLD Workout)
    LCM
    WARM UP:
    2 X 200 3:30 3:20
    4 X 100 1:45 1:40
    Two rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

2 X 100 kick 2:30
    6 X 50 kick-25 fast/25 moderate- 1:15
    1 X 100 swim

1 X 100 moderate
    1 X 50 fast
    1 x 100 moderate
    2 X 50 fast
    1 X 100 moderate
    3 X 50 fast
    1 X 100 moderate
    4 x 50 fast
    1 X 100 easy
    100's: 2:00 50's: 1:20
    All choice.

5 X 100 free 1:35
    1 x 100 easy 2:05
    5 X 100 free 1:30
    3 X 100 warm down 2:00

4600M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Glorious Swim, Friday, May 25

by , May 25th, 2012 at 03:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/LCM @ Rockville Swim Center:

Swam the first 50 minutes with Julie, Susan, Sue and Eileen. The last 50 minutes with Susan. There were no pace clocks, so swims were on the "mega chat interval." Julie remarked on FB that we took 10 minutes between two sets. That seemed normal to me. Had a blast with the ladies on a gorgeous day in an outdoor pool with refreshingly cool water!

Warm up:

7 x 100
    50 drill + 25 kick + 25 swim
    -- mixed up free, back and breast

Main Sets:

8 x 100 w/fins
    odds = up tempo backstroke
    evens = up tempo backstroke kick

... can't remember if we did something else here ...

6 x 50
    odds = drill
    evens = fast fly @ 100 pace

4 x 50 breast pull w/parachute
    -- these are a tad harder than the 25s I was doing yesterday
    50 EZ

Total: 2050

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Long course didn't feel nearly as bad as I had feared. My legs definitely have more endurance than my arms, hardly surprising. But even the 50 flys felt quite manageable. We are going to try to meet on Tuesdays and Fridays weather permitting. I wouldn't like to race outside, but practicing outside was quite excellent. So worth the drive.

Now, as to the the poster who reported a remark I made in my Wed blog entry ... really? It was meant to be a funny remark with a smilie included. If you don't agree with or like something I write, feel free to leave a public comment on my blog. Or, alternatively, you don't have to read my blog if you are easily offended. But the level of private policing of even innocuous sarcastic comments has gotten tiresome. I'd like to have some levity, trash talking or even heated arguments about training, on my blog.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts