View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. crowds today

by , April 2nd, 2012 at 07:25 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    The warm pool was closed due to a chemical imbalance. Both kids teams hd large numbers of swimmers due to spring break and there was no lap lane initially in an 8 lane long course pool!

I had to swim in with Savannah Masters and since I was doing distance today that worked out ok.

100 free
    4x100@2:00 IM
    300 pull
    200 kick w/zoomers

12x25@:40 burst + cruise is how i did them burst fly cruise free
    6x50@:55 free

8x100@1:40 w/paddles & bouy held 1:33's

100 kick easy

Total 2500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Sunday, April 1, 2012 NW Zone Day 2 results

by , April 1st, 2012 at 10:49 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    This morning was a rough morning. I slept well, in fact, very well. I've always had a rough 2nd day at this particular meet, and now I know why. The elevation difference and the body somewhat trying to acclimate to it.
    I learned this last year when I went to Salt Lake City for a 2 day meet. Well...short story version: I was talking with the college coaches for the cross country teams at the airport about competition at altitude, and they said through their research that individuals from lower altitudes that go to higher altitudes have a much better chance of doing well, IF they can make the commute and compete on the same day. The longer your body stays there, the harder it gets...for a while. They said it takes almost 2 weeks for your body to become 90% or more accustomed to the thinner air. So...if possible, try to schedule your trips to compete the same day as travel, or just forget the 2nd day!
    Make sense?

=========================

Last night at the Inland NW annual meeting, the Wenatchee Valley Masters cleaned house on the awards that were given out. We had:
    • High Point Female (season total) - Carolyn Magee
    • High Point Male (was a race between myself and another older teammate). The other guy ended up getting the award. - Jack Bevier
    • Most Dedicated Award - James Adams - for taking on the Top Ten and Records and improving on it. My "work" in the forums of promoting swimming and talking about us "little guys" in the Inland NW, in addition to my extensive travel looking for other places to compete outside of the LMSC. I've also newly taken on the webmaster position for the LMSC, which is going to be a pain in the butt for a while, till I learn the system.
    • Most Inspirational Award - Peony Munger - many of you remember her story of the miles of butterfly over the past year, in addition to her battle of Pancreatic Cancer (she has outlived the doctor's estimate by over 6 months already). Through all her chemo treatments and everything she's been going to, she hasn't missed a practice that she was available to get to. She really loves her team, teammates, and the sport of swimming. It was a very happy occasion.
    • Overall Season Team Points Championship - Wenatchee Valley Masters
    Can't really do any better than that as a team in the LMSC! Now we just have to try to improve on that over the next year!

================================

500 Free - did this as 500 Fly 5:58.40 - best time as far as my 4 500 Flys that I've done.
    28.0 / 32.9
    35.3 / 36.4
    37.1 / 37.8
    38.2 / 38.4
    38.6 / 35.5

I was happy that I broke 6:00 with this, which was my goal. After all the talk last night at the meeting with the Inspirational Award, I wanted to do a 500 Fly for Peony to actually witness in person. She wasn't able to see my 1000 Fly swim last fall, so this was a perfect opportunity.
    Originally, I was going to go for the LMSC record in the 500 Free (5:06), but I just wasn't feeling it today anyway, so that made it easier to do fly as well.

100 Fly - 56.68 Masters Best Time by 0.2 seconds
    Not bad for coming after the 500 Fly either. I had to chase Ian Mosher from PNA who ended up going a 51.98!! WOW!!
    26.5 / 30.1

200 Free - 2:00.29 - shouldn't have swum this. I could barely even haul myself to the blocks for the race...but I don't like to skip events. At least I held my splits. I think I'm going to stay away from freestyle events for a while. Just not feeling it either.
    28.3 / 30.1 / 30.9 / 30.9

200 IM - 2:12.14 - good considering how I felt, this was decent.
    27.0 / 35.3 / 39.0 / 30.7

============================

Also, got my splits from Day 1's events:
    400 IM - 4:34.65
    27.2 / 31.6
    36.8 / 36.6 ouch
    39.9 / 40.5 ouch
    31.5 / 30.6 ouch

200 Fly - 2:06.30
    27.7 / 31.0
    34.1 / 33.5
  3. Meet report!!!

by , April 1st, 2012 at 07:30 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I am very happy to announce that I haven't lost "it", although I am tired from (and i'm sure you're about as tired reading about) something that ends with an X.....and begins with a P.

200 free - 50 free spllit: 25.1

50 fly - 27.4

50 free - 24.7

200 IM - 2:26

I don't remember my hundreths! The 50 split was really quite distracting - it was an early event and more like a tune-up. I think it's really hard to actually go all-out and then have to turn and do more swimming, even if it is easy swimming.

50 fly was a real delight! I was worried i'd go over 28, but was still well under it! I didn't warm up fly, since my shoulder has been bothering me. I thought, no sense blowing it out in warmup, just wait for the real event, and at least then you'll get in a 50 free beforehand! I am very happy to report no sharp stabbing pains, although I did have to change my stroke (yeah, like it was really tight!).

50 free was the swim 'o the meet for me! That is a very solid time, my mid-point for the year and I gloat over my strong finish! Not the umph, but was able to put it all together. Both 50's were dead on for breathing and I went 1/1.

200 IM bonus! I was on the fence about this, and decided not to do a split request. But, after I warmed down after the 50, the event started, so I thought i'd just do it about 90% for the heck of it! I decided if I saw anyone (I was in the end lane, last heat, 2 empty lanes next to me), then i'd race it the last 50. Alas, saw no one and not even anyone's feet. So I powered down and just tried to look smooth coming home, punching it the last few strokes - no sense wasting that little bit!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Next up: enter Colonies Zone events. Still not quite sure, but a whooping 5 entry limit!

Starting week three of letter - 90 -letter.....
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Back to back HIT workout experiment

It is the weekend, so I thought would do back to back HIT workouts, all max effort swims with tons of rest and recovery swimming between.

Saturday
    - 1500-1700 warm up
    Main Set
    -- 400 - 500 ez between each swim
    - 100 IM 1:05.83 - 30.53 35.30
    - 200 back 2:27.92 - 34.82 37.33 38.3 37.47
    - 50 breast 35.67 (pulled a "breaststroke muscle")
    - 100 free 54.64 - 26.73 27.91
    - 50 back 32.49
    - 50 free 24.23 (rolling start)
    -- no recovery swim 5 minute break
    - 50 free 24.63 (rolling start)
    -- no recovery swim 5 minute break
    - 100 back 1:08.35 - 33.19 35.16
    -- no recovery swim 10 minute break
    - 100 free 56.00 - 26.20 29.80 (rolling start)
    Cool down
    - 300 ez

Sunday
    - 1000 warmup
    Main Set
    -- 500 ez between each swim
    - 100 breast 1:22.71 - 38.96 43.75 (pulled muscle not happy)
    - 200 free 2:03.30 - 29.11 31.55 31.67 30.97
    - 50 fly 29.79
    - 100 back 1:07.49 - 33.64 33.85
    - 50 free 24.76
    - 50 free 24.02 rolling start
    Cool down
    - Practice Monday

Experiment results: Not much in the way of speed this weekend, but the splitting and consistency between sprints was good.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Sunday, April 1

by , April 1st, 2012 at 05:26 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

rehab exercises (30 min)
    cable twist w/yoga ball, 40 x 1 x 15 each side, then someone stole my machine
    explosive leg press, 190 x 3 x 12
    leg abductor, 90 x 3 x 12
    resisted side lunges, 40 x 2 x 15 each side
    resisted track start jumps, 40 x 1 x 15
    leg extensions, 70 x 3 x 10
    low row negatives, super light, 40 x 3 x 10
    med ball slams, 2 x 10
    power wheel pike ups, 2 x 15
    captains chair leg raises, 20
    knee tuck jumps, 10
    altitude drops, 2 x 8

Yoga/Stretching, 30-35 minutes

Addings some neck stretches in light of that injury.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reduced weight today. Looks like Wed. will be my last day of drylands, though not of tedious rehab exercises.

Took yesterday off which was filled with kid events anyway. Teen Fort's boat won in regatta finals by almost 5 boat lengths. I think they will have a good year. She looks tiny rowing in the 4 seat of a heavyweight boat. But like her mommy she has a lot of power output for her size Lil Fort was a scoring maniac in her indoor soccer game. Then I came home to find that elitist Guthrie was being an ass and Stillwater was being a blowhard dick. (Looks around wonders once again if mods read blogs. Last time I cursed, it went unnoticed. ) They must be jealous that they can't think and execute like me! If more people did, they would swim faster faster, as Ande would say.

The PRP jabs feel better. I'll hit the pool tomorrow. May stick to mostly AFAP kicking for a couple days though.

Still don't know what to enter at Zones ... I am currently thinking of just swimming the 100 back and 100 breast. Possibly the 100 IM. I will probably opt out of the 100 free as free is the worst on my shoulder and probably don't want to use a "silver bullet" on that. Though I was intrigued by doing a lot of dolphin kick in it.

And I still await Jimby's public mea culpa ...

Updated April 1st, 2012 at 09:52 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  6. April Fool's Recovery

by , April 1st, 2012 at 05:17 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    400 Swim
    12 x 75 K, Dr, Dr IMO by sets of 3

2 x 200 FR Desc 2:42, 2:36
    2 x 25 AFAP 125 EZ 1 FR, 2 BR
    2 x 50 EZ
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. This is why I swim in the ocean!

I had a very lovely swim out at Brighton Beach today. It wasn’t the most obvious day for an open-water swim—air temp was mid-40s, with an overcast sky—but I’d been looking forward to being in the ocean again all week, plus I knew at least a few CIBBOWS friends would be out on the beach at 10 this morning. So I packed some warm clothes and hot chocolate and headed out on the train to meet them.

Once I arrived at Brighton, I quickly found Cara and Brad, and we waited on the beach a bit for the others to show. There ended up being only 5 of us today, 4 of whom swam. The wind picked up as we were making our final preparations for getting in. We scanned the sky, hoping it would blow some of the clouds away, but only a weak glimmer of sunlight shone through. Brad, who had swum yesterday, confirmed that the water temp had dropped a bit—last week it had been 50. I finished getting ready, then ran down the beach with Cara, who always brings her thermometer to record the official water temp. I didn’t wait around for her reading, but took a few quick breaths and quickly started swimming east—the water was cold, but the air was cold and windy! I knew which poison to pick.

I was able to swim hard and felt pretty good right from the start. It was lovely feeling the cold water envelop me. I felt some prickling in my hands, but it felt more interesting than unpleasant. The only cold-water sensation that I didn’t like was a odd tightness in the skin on underside of my upper arms—it felt unpleasantly stretched each time I reached forward, as if it would tear. But this often happens to me when I swim in the cold, and I knew it was just a feeling and would go away in a minute or so, as it did.

The water was fairly clear, but I was soon far enough out that I couldn’t see the bottom. I swam along, suspended in a beautiful dark green sea. Without much sun the color didn’t seem to change at all with the water depth. My past few times out at the beach I have been skittish about things (crabs and seagulls, for instance), and haven’t felt truly relaxed when I was swimming. Today was different. The me-ness of me that felt apart from the water disappeared, and I felt wonderfully at home in the sea. I watched the birds gliding above me, and accepted that there might be swimmy and crawly things below me, and I felt kinship instead of fear.

The water helped me along with some gentle waves, and I felt its motion and appreciated its help. As I passed the pilings on the way to the white building, it occurred to me that I was getting pretty chilled. I picked up my turnover a bit—I had been drifting off towards tourist pace. I had set out today with the goal of swimming to the white building and back, about a mile. I knew I could do that, but I also knew that the warming-up afterwards would be more pleasant if I kept swimming vigorously.

I got to the white building fairly quickly, then turned around and headed back into the wind. There was some mild chop in this direction, and swimming straight into it felt pleasantly challenging. For a brief moment the sun came out, and I did some backstroke to admire it. I caught a glimpse of Brad doing the same thing going in the other direction, and waved at him, but couldn’t tell if he saw me. The chop and wind must have been pushing me in towards shore a bit, because I had to correct course a few times to make it around the pilings and jetties. I swam in some shallower water near the big jetty, and could see a large crooked black shape on the bottom—either a tree branch or a sea serpent!

I savored the sensations of swimming hard on the way in. I enjoyed watching the buildings on shore go by, and never felt any colder than I had on the way out. I swam by a flock of seagulls that someone on shore was feeding, and was glad they were far enough down the beach from my blanket that I didn’t have to wade through them to get in. I was still mesmerized by the greenness of the water, and the relative paleness of my hands and arms and I stroked through it. When I got back to my starting point, I wished I could stay in longer, but I could feel the coldness in my hands and feet and knew it was time to get out.

I quickly got changed into warm clothes—lots of them. I had brought long underwear in addition to my wool pants and sweater and swim parka. I put everything on, snapped the hotsnapz warmers I had brought and tucked them in, then jogged easily up and down the beach. After about 5 minutes, I could feel the cold creeping through my torso—my chest and upper back felt especially chilled—and I started shivering and teeth-chattering. This lasted a while, but never became uncomfortably severe. It was tough to get warmed up on the beach on such a day, though, and I was glad when everyone made their way in and we all got packed up and headed towards the subway.

It turned out that Cara had measured the water at 47. It’s good to know that I can manage swimming in that temp even on a less-than-ideal day. Today left me feeling exhilarated about swimming in the ocean. I’m looking forward to the water warming up a bit more, and the weather returning to a warmer and sunnier state, so that I can swim even further. Next week I’m hoping to swim past the WonderWheel and all the other Coney Island attractions!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Saturday, March 31, 2012 NW Zone Day 1 Results

by , April 1st, 2012 at 12:40 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Approximately a 4 hour drive turned into a hair over 3 1/2, so the day started off well! ...and no speeding ticket either (which my little ol' truck couldn't hardly make it past 70 anyway even downhill with the wind!)

80 people signed up for the meet, which is the 2nd highest attendance we've had at an Inland NW meet, so that was cool to see.

We had to wait through 2 heats of 1650s prior to the 400 IM (1 was 44 minutes, the other 31 minutes), then a 12 minute first heat of the 400 IM as well. I was out of warmups for almost 2 hours prior to my swim. As far as re-warming up in the separate tank...NO WAY! That pool is damn near 88-89 degrees! Seriously! They say it is for therapy for the seniors that use the facility. But why not turn off the heater for this weekend??

400 IM - 4:34.5 - about 1 second slower than my best from last month.
    This was my 2nd fastest 400 IM as a master though, so that is a plus!
    My fly was ok, but I couldn't get rolling like normal. Backstroke felt great! Probably from the shave. Breaststroke, I started feeling the burn in my arms, and I just had nothing left for the freestyle.
    I'm not sure of any of my splits, but I'm pretty sure I was on track to come close to the 4:29 record...till the freestyle. I tightened up so badly and just gave it my best effort. I didn't look at the clock throughout the race, and after painfully finishing and seeing that I missed the record I was trying for, it hurt even more.

I've got a re-do opportunity for this at PNA Champs in 2 weeks.

200 Fly - 2:06.30 - dropped 0.07 seconds!! Good enough for a new LMSC record!
    This felt ok, but I know I can go faster. I think someone said I was out in a 58-high, then 1:33 at the 150. I'm gonna guess on splits: 27mid, 31, 34.5, 33. That's about how it felt too. The middle 100 definitely felt like BLAH, and I gave it everything I had on the final 50. At least I had a time drop. And I have one more shot at this event in the USAS meet 3 weeks from now in Spokane!

400 Free Relay, 3:37.11 was the anchor leg, split a 52-low or so. Decent enough for me. We combined different guys together from 3 ouf our workout groups (that are all in the same USMS club) to destroy the old NW Zone 18+ 400 Free relay record. Wait...just checked the PNA website for the NW Zone records...apparently a faster relay was done in late February that wasn't in my list. OOPS. Oh well, so at least we annihilated our Inland NW record, but missed the current Zone record.

===============================

Tomorrow:

500 Free, 100 Fly, 200 Free, 200 IM.
    The 100 Fly and 200 Free events will have some stiff competition. The 500 Free and 200 IM I will be doing time trial type swims. I have an outside shot at the LMSC record in the 500, so I just need to get my butt moving. 5:06.75! YIKES!

Also going to combine with other workout groups for the 200 Mixed Medley and 400 Mixed Medley Relays, to attack the NW Zone records. These are possible!
  9. Workout 03/31/12:

by , March 31st, 2012 at 04:24 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    wu: 200 fr/200 bk

3 x (4 x 100)
    - 1st: fr pull x3, im on 1:20
    - 2nd: 50 stroke/50 fr x3, im on 1:30
    - 3rd: fr fast x3, im on 1:15
    Masters minute bwt rounds

500 Noah's Ark pull

8 x 75 on 1:15
    - 2 fr, 2 im, 2 bk

50 ez
    3 x 100 on 2:00
    - 2 kick, 1 swim

4 x 150 on 2:15
    - 3 fr pull with buoy
    - 1 ez back (loosen)
    (BAM team/Rec/3650yds/75 min)
    ----------------

Great practice with the team this morning. It is fun to swim hard and socialize bwt sets. Rich and Cindy just got back from skiing in Austria, and Tom gave me a hard time for missing practice two weeks ago (I was swimming at Harvard, but that was not good enough for him).

I usually get extra reps and im work, and today was no exception. Went 1:10s on pull and 1:05s on the fast 100s, and for the im's I went 1:15.42, 1:14.35, 1:14.78. For the 75s I held 43/54/51, and was able to pull the 150s at 1:46. Felt really good in the water today, and decided not to push it any more even though I had the time to.

My wife came to check out practice today. I have been encouraging her to hop in the water forever, and today she at least checked it out, and even talked about the possibility of swimming a meet in the fall. I am relaxing the rest of the day, watching some Indian Jones movies from the set that the family got for me last year while doing the bills.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Wanted to throw up and then die!

by , March 31st, 2012 at 01:34 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    I did the Lactate workout #5 from from the HIT week 13.

Saturday, 3/31/12

SCY, Solo

Warm up:
    1000 OYO
    Did the following:
    500 swim alternating free and back
    200 kick
    200 IM drill
    100 scull

Main Sets:
    8 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    - rotated through fly-back-free on these
    50 EZ

2 x through:
    free, no fins
    100 fast @ 2:00 - went 1:12, 1:10
    50 fast @ 1:00 - went 31, 33
    25 fast @ :30 - around 15 on these
    25 EZ @ 1:00

150 EZ

2 x through:
    back with zoomers
    75 fast @ 1:30 - went 54,54
    50 fast @ 1:00 - went 34,35
    25 fast @ :30 - around 16-17
    50 EZ @ 1:00

100 EZ

2 x through:
    free, no fins
    50 AFAP @ 1:00 - 31, 32
    25 AFAP @ :30 - around 15
    50 EZ @ 1:00

200 EZ

Total: 2750 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. swimming in hot water again 85 degrees and yes i pushed it

by , March 31st, 2012 at 10:58 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Did Leslie's lactate set today in hot water. Felt like I was pushing the limit a little but I still did it.

10x100@1:30 free w/paddles & bouy
    500 free kick w/zoomers
    50 EZ to get my arms back in gear
    8x25@1:00 burst + cruise
    50 EZ

2 times thru:
    100 fast @2:00 went 1:18 and 1:15
    50 fast@1:00 went 34 and 36
    25 fast@:30 went 16 and 17
    75EZ

100EZ

2 times thru
    75 fast@1:30 went 55 and 55
    50 fast@1:00 went 36 and 37
    25 fast@:30 went 17 and 17
    50@1:00 EZ

100 EZ

2 times thru
    50AFAP @1:00 went 35 and 35
    25AFAP @:30 went 16 and 16
    50EZ @1:00

200 EZ
    250 EZ w/snorkle as 12.5 kick/12.5 swim

Total 3500 yards

I am tired now!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. 03.31.12 - Saturday workout

by , March 31st, 2012 at 10:54 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam at HSA w/ Dave. Pretty low turnout for a Saturday. Got a whole 50m lane for the two of us.

LCM

400 Warm up

400 Reverse IM - down drill, stroke back
    4 x 100 Kick w/ fins
    4 x 100 down easy/back fast

4 x 100 down free/back choice stroke
    4 x 200 Pull - 3:00 (Made them on 2:30-2:40)
    4 x 100 down easy free/back hard stroke im order

3 Times through:
    * 50 Stroke (IM Order by round)
    * 100 Free
    * 150 IM
    * 200 Free

200 Cool down

(4900m Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Friday 3/30/12

Friday 3/30

AM + PM SCY

AM swim:

500 swim
    16x50
    8 @ 1:00 D1-4, 5-8 FR kick w/ board
    8 @ :40 Aerobic FR swim

10x100
    2 @ 1:20 D1-2
    2 @ 1:15 D1-2
    6 @ 1:10 hold lower RED HR (held 1:03s @ 26/10)

2x
    2x300 @ 4:15 D1-2 BK w/ 5 fly kicks off all walls
    5x100 @ RD1: 1:15, RD2: 1:10, FR swim, 2 DPS, 3 strong effort (upper RED HR if possible)

200 EZ

Total: 4700

PM swim:

500 swim

Water polo!

Total: 500+ however much I swam in the game, which was a lot.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Fri Mar 30 Zones Day 1

by , March 31st, 2012 at 01:46 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Fri Mar 30, 2012

Started today with 6:30 fast Friday practice
    Didn't train in taper lane today (my choice)
    Whitney coached
    Swam with Todd beside the taper lane
    Dove in 6:41ish
    I've had nagging pain in my left hip
    Sometimes I don't feelt at all & when I ve certain ways it flairs up

Still weighed way too much this morning
    Been making bad food choices lately
    Really need to pay attention & not get carried away
    Pool set up LCM

Warm up was 5 4 3 21 ( swim till 6:58)
    Probably went around 800 mostly freestyle

Assigned: 5x100 choice at ____% effort &
    _______ interval (both changed each round)
    R1 80% 2:00
    R2 85% 2:10
    R3 90% 2:20
    R4 100% 2:30
    Each round followed by
    50 fast choice on 1:00
    50 easy on 2 or 3:00

Did:
    round 1 fr swam alll, held 16's & 17's
    Round 2 fr swam 4 skipped #4 held 14's & 15's
    Round 3 fr swam 3 skipped 2&4, held 12's
    Round 4 skipped all 5,
    did 50 FL easy speed from a dive went 28

~~~~~~

Meet drove up to south lake for zones
    Entered 4 iM & 1650
    Pretty much planned on swimming the 4 IM & scratching the 1650
    But I signed in for both

When I stepped up for the
    4 IM I just wasnt feeling it, i raced beside a 32 year old who entered with a 4:20 & went 4:16

maybe i went slow because:
    my hip hurt,
    The pool was warm,
    I didn't have Tyler, Ross Davis, or Jim Sauer to race,
    I had the 1650 next & thought "dont get too tired"
    My head wasn't in the game
    The guy next to me got away & I didn't race or try to catch him

FL 61 cruised it

BK 71 2:12.8 way too slow, cruised it

BR 77.9 just swam easy speed with long glides instead of working it, turned at 3:30.7

FR finished at 4:34.5, just 2 beat kicked & cruised it
    I'm disappointed with the time & hope to swim it again & go much faster
    I event out really slow & never really got going

Distance Cum 50s 100s 200s
    050 28.41 28.41
    100 1:01.46 33.05 1:01.46
    150 1:37.60 36.14
    200 2:12.82 35.22 1:11.36 2:12.82
    250 2:51.42 38.60
    300 3:30.70 39.28 1:17.88
    350 4:03.09 32.39
    400 4:34.56 31.47 1:03.86 2:21.74
    Avg 34.32 1:08.64 2:17.28

from SwimPhone

after the dismal 400 IM I walked up to the 500 free & 1000 check ins & scratched but now I'm leaning towards doing them, We'll see

My plan going in was to desc 500s & work the last 150.
    Went 18:01.37
    swam smooth, started off a bit too brisk
    Don't have splits' they weren't up as I was leaving, my pad didn't register on my finish
    will post em later whe I can copy them online
    Went out smooth breathed a lot but felt over heated as the race progressed
    Swam beside Larry & Joe swam in lane 6 next to Larry
    went around 17:44 in 2009 at Orlando wearing a B70 so 18:01 is a pretty good swim but I think my hour swim splits were a little over 18 min so I call 18:01 ok but not great, much better than my dismal abysmal 4 IM

1650 Y Free Heat 3 Lane 4 finals
    Distance Cum 50s 100s 200s 500s
    0050 00:29.20 29.20
    0100 01:01.13 31.93 1:01.13
    0150 01:33.45 32.32
    0200 02:06.03 32.58 1:04.90 2:06.03
    0250 02:38.93 32.90
    0300 03:11.44 32.51 1:05.41
    0350 03:44.15 32.71
    0400 04:17.23 33.08 1:05.79 2:11.20
    0450 04:50.06 32.83
    0500 05:23.05 32.99 1:05.82 5:23.05
    0550 05:55.69 32.64
    0600 06:28.50 32.81 1:05.45 2:11.27
    0650 07:01.05 32.55
    0700 07:33.81 32.76 1:05.31
    0750 08:06.71 32.90
    0800 08:39.56 32.85 1:05.75 2:11.06
    0850 09:12.35 32.79
    0900 09:45.32 32.97 1:05.76
    0950 10:18.16 32.84
    1000 10:51.08 32.92 1:05.76 2:11.52 5:28.03
    1050 11:24.04 32.96
    1100 11:56.99 32.95 1:05.91
    1150 12:29.90 32.91
    1200 13:02.97 33.07 1:05.98 2:11.89
    1250 13:36.25 33.28
    1300 14:09.39 33.14 1:06.42
    1350 14:42.62 33.23
    1400 15:15.79 33.17 1:06.40 2:12.82
    1450 15:48.97 33.18
    1500 16:22.10 33.13 1:06.31 5:31.02
    1550 16:55.48 33.38
    1600 17:28.80 33.32 1:06.70 2:13.01
    1650 18:01.37 32.57 1:39.27

Avg 32.77 1:05.54 2:11.08 5:27.69
    Your last 500 was 5:31.47

From SwimPhone

Did some caffeine before my races & I feel a bit wired (12:44) gonna try to sleep now

Right now I'm leaning towards doing the 500 but it might hurt my 100 IM & following races, maybe I'll drop the 500 or the 1 fly
    We'll see

Mar. 30 & 31, 2012
    South Central Zones, SCY
    South Lake, TX

Entered the following
    (my impression going in was likely to scratch several like the 1650, maybe 500, 1 bk, 5 fr, & 1000 fr
    entered more just to give myself options and there are no deck entries

Event
    Number Gender Distance Stroke Time

03/30/2012
    2 Male 400 SCY IM 4:22.70
    4 Male 1650 SCY Free 18:59.99

03/31/2012
    6 Male 500 SCY Free 5:09.99
    8 Male 100 SCY IM 0:54.99
    12 Male 50 SCY Breast 0:28.80
    16 Male 50 SCY Back 0:24.99
    20 Male 100 SCY Fly 0:54.99

04/01/2012
    28 Male 100 SCY Breast 1:06.99
    32 Male 50 SCY Fly 0:23.99
    34 Male 100 SCY Back 0:55.99
    40 Male 200 SCY IM 2:00.99
    51 Male 1000 SCY Free 10:59.99

https://www.damswim.com/files/2012_z...ters_entry.pdf

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

2012 Meets (I'm considering)

Jul. 5 - 8, 2012
    2012 USMS LCM Nationals
    Qwest Center, Omaha, NE
    Order of Events

Aug 11 & 12, 2012
    South Central LCM Zones
    Palo Alto Pool
    San Antonio, TX

Updated April 9th, 2012 at 11:26 AM by ande

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Friday, March 30, 2012 5:00am & Shaved to Go FAST!

by , March 30th, 2012 at 11:49 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    This morning, I just got in for a quick swim around. I did approximately 1000 yards or so, doing quite a bit of dolphining, fly drill, variable speed fly play, etc. Mostly slow and easy. Made it through work without too much exhausting stuff, and went to a good family dinner at the local Mexican restaurant for my "last meal".

I'm really focusing on the 200 Fly/400 IM for the weekend. My other events will follow suit though: 100 Fly, 200 IM, 200 Free, 500 Free. The last is the one I'm actually the most worried of.

Luckily my two focus events are on Day 1, and I can just have fun with Day 2, but still swim fast. I am now shaved down and ready for bed. In the morning, I'll wake up, get my routine McDonald's breakfast on the way out of town, Then I'll just enjoy the 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive across the state over to Moscow, Idaho. It's really pretty relaxing...just sit back and get the rock music pounding as I go down the road.
  16. Workout 03/30/12:

by , March 30th, 2012 at 09:24 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u:
    200 Fr/200 BK
    2 x 100 Kick on 2:15
    4 x 100 FR Pull on 1:20

4 x 75 IM's on :10 SR
    - swam as FL-Bk-BR, Bk-Br-Fr, ...

2 x 200 FR on 2:40 (went 2:21, :20)
    1 x 200 BK on 3:00 (went 2:41)
    1 x 100 ez

4 x 50 on 1:00
    - 1st: Fly no breath 25/25 DPS FR
    - 2nd: Back breathe every 4 25/25 DPS FR
    - 3rd: FR no breath 25/25 DPS FR
    - 4th: DPS

100 loosen and out
    (solo/Rec/2300yds/45 minutes)
    ------------------------------

Well, I got run down by that head bug going around, complete with fever and sweats on Sunday and Monday. Felt like someone was swinging from coathangers lodged in my ears with a sore throat. Pulled out the APAP/Ibu staggered dosing with cetirizine and pseuodephedrine to make it through 12 hour workdays Tue-Thurs. Feeling better now, but still tired - my wife knew it was bad when I started to make up the Jello for my primary food source and I missed Monday night Men's Bible study. I also missed a video taping about the drug task force that I am on that will be shown around the state - never had a chance at my fifteen minutes of fame. Oh well.

Felt good to get into the pool tonight and it was relatively uncrowded. I was going to do more 200's in the main set, but figured it was best not to push it in my current state, plus I have masters practice tomorrow morning with the team and I want to be fresh.

Looks like we are entering the spring championship meet season - it'll be fun to hear about the action through the blogs over the next few weeks. Swim fast, everyone!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Surgeries #1 & 2, Right Arm 03/30/12

by , March 30th, 2012 at 08:49 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    Surgery on Right Arm today. Didn"t have to report to the hospital until 8:30am, so got in one last workout!!

500 Back/Free
    400 P, speedplay by 25's
    3 x 300 stroke/free w/15 sec rest between each
    9 x 100 free on 1:30
    100 easy
    4 x 4 cycle speed play on :30
    300 kick
    4 x 200 P
    200 cooldown
    Total: 4200
    Jen came today & swam the last 1200 w/me - swam w/Danielle & Muriel (ATAC) for first 3000 - nice to have some kids get in my lane for a change.
    LOVE the looks I got on peoples faces at the hospital when I told them that I went to practice before my surgeries today. Priceless!
    On the other hand (ha, pun!) my hand & elbow are killing me. Will be taking advantage of the Percocets prescribed.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. 03.30.12 Friday workout - rare double

by , March 30th, 2012 at 08:23 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    AM - Swam w/ Dave x 2. Tried to keep it light since we were "called out" by a couple MSA swimmers. Actually, Roger instigated it but it was all for fun and we had a lot of that. Pool temp back down a bit - 84 to 85. Thermometer was missing for some reason. I'm hoping they took it away because they plan on cooling the pool off a little and didn't want people complaining that it was a specific temperature.

SCY

400 Warm up

3 Times through:
    * 4 x 75 - 1:00
    * 200 Pull - 2:30
    * 6 x 25 - :40 easy/hard Fly/Back/Breast

400 IM easy (Cool down)

(2750 Total)

PM - Swam w/ Roger and Dave x 2 against Jenny, Kierstin and Martin. Jenny is getting ready for the Olympic trials and the other two are some of MSA's better swimmers. It wasn't looking too promising for the old guys. We set the initial pace at 1:15/100 yards for 2400 yards. Each of us took 200 yards in the lead and 600 yards drafting three times through. The MSA swimmers did 200 yards in the lead and 400 yards drafting 4 times through (since there were only 3 of them). After 2400 yards, the pace limit was dropped and we raced the remaining 800 yards. Swimmer 1 led first and then dropped out at 2600 yards. Swimmer 2 took over and then dropped out at 2800 yards. Swimmer 3 took over and dropped out at 3000 yards. Finally, swimmer 4 sprinted the last 200. The only thing the rest of my team agreed on was that I would be the last guy. It's great they think I can swim that fast for that long but I had my doubts about the choice. Once we sorted out the order, we were off on our 3200 yard journey. It is kind of interesting how it works out. Starting last, I put almost no effort into keeping up. I was doing open turns to keep from running over Dave and even then streamlining off walls in his draft forced me into his feet. As each 200 ticked off and I got closer to the front, it got harder and harder. There was all sorts of noise and turbulence from Dave kicking right in front of me. Then, I flipped to take my turn up front and... silence. It felt like everything was still and I was gliding through the water. After 3 rounds, there was no question I was going to make it. The only issue was whether or not we would give the youngsters a run for their money. At 800 to go, Dave M went up against Kierstin. Each turn, she put a little more distance on us. It was killing me because I was ready to go. Once Roger took over, I was sure we would start picking up the pace. I'm sure we did but when you are sitting in the draft and hardly working, it just feels slow. With 200 to go, I finally got my turn but we were already 25 yards behind. Kierstin was designated to take a second 200 for thier team so I was hoping she was a little tired form beating on Dave earlier. I was able to keep up for 100 yards but then she picked it up and finished me off. I think her last 200 was 2:04. I went 2:13. We tried and had a lot of fun. The rest of the MSA kids cheered us all on. It think that was really the main purpose anyway... get the up and coming swimmers excited about training to do what the big kids can do.

SCY

500 Warm up

4 x (600 Draft/200 lead - 1:15 pace)

(3700 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. March 30, 2012

by , March 30th, 2012 at 05:07 PM (Canuck Countdown)
    72 days until Day 1 of the FINA World Masters Championships

Thursday, March 29
    Kinsmen Aquatic Centre
    WWU Pool (25m)

I'm particularly happy with my performance in this workout, so thought I'd post it!

warmup
    6 x 50 swim, 25 kick, 25 drill
    4 x 100 pull @ 1:50
    2 x 100 swim @ 1:40

main set
    400 Free (negative split) @ 6:00 (time = 5:00)
    3 x 100 Free @ 1:20 (held 1:11)
    6 x 50 Free @ :50
    200 EZ
    400 Free (negative split) @ 6:00 (time = 4:57)
    3 x 100 Free @ 1:20 (held 1:11)
    6 x 50 Free @ :45
    200 EZ
    400 Free (negative split) @ 6:00 (time = 5:03)
    3 x 100 Free @ 1:20 (held 1:14)
    4 x 50 Free @ :40 (held :36)
    200 EZ

cool down
    8 x 25 drill @ :40

Total Distance = 5000 meters (SCM)

Comments: On the 3rd time through, I backed off on the 400 and the 100s because I was worried that I wouldn't make the 50s. My strategy worked, because the 50s felt the easiest of all as I was able to immediately get into a rhythm with the pace.

Tuesday, March 27
    Kinsmen Aquatic Centre
    WWU Pool (25m)

main set
    12 x 150 as
    3 x 150 smooth @ 2:30 , 1 x 150 strong @ 2:00
    2 x 150 smooth @ 2:30, 2 x 150 strong @ 2:00
    1 x 150 smooth @ 2:30, 3 x 150 strong @ 2:00

I held 1:45s for most of the strong 150s, slipping to 1:47 and 1:49 for the last 2

Total Distance = 4600 meters (SCM)

Meet Report

I swam in 4 swim meets between Saturday, March 14 and Sunday March 25!

OSC Double-Double Meet
    March 17 - 18
    Edmonton
    Kinsmen Aquatic Centre Comp Pool (50m)

This was a SNC (Swimming Canada) meet rather than a MSC (Masters Swimming Canada) meet. This was my first long course meet of the season.

100 Free 59.92
    200 Free 2:13.88
    100 Fly 1:06.45

That afternoon, I also swam in the

Making Waves Invitational
    March 17
    Edmonton
    NAIT Pool (25m)

200 Fly 2:35.89 (no DQ!)
    100 IM 1:09.31

I swam the first 175 meters of the 200 fly very relaxed and easy, then sprinted the last 25. Next time, I'll try 150 easy / 50 hard, etc. until I find the right balance.

The following weekend, I swam in the

Red Deer Silver Sharks Invitational
    March 24
    Red Deer
    Michener Aquatic Centre Pool (25m)

200 Breast 2:54.22
    200 Back 2:43.70 (immediately after a 25m freestyle race)
    100 Breast 1:19.42

The next day, I swam in my 2nd long course meet of the season:

Calgary Masters Invitational
    March 25
    Calgary
    Talisman Centre (50m)

50 Free 27.76
    200 Back 2:51.59 (almost immediately after 50 Free)
    100 Free 1:01.08
    400 Free 4:53.42

The only good swim was the 400 free - and it's not good because of the final time, but because of how I split the race. I was so tired before the race that I almost scratched it, but I decided to swim a controlled pace race instead. Here were my splits:

1:10.90
    1:16.26 (2:27.16)
    1:14.64
    1:11.62 (2:26.26)

= a negative split and a nice descend of the last 3 100s.

Updated April 2nd, 2012 at 03:07 PM by lewba

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. IG/MRI/PRP, Friday, March 30

by , March 30th, 2012 at 04:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various
    10 x 25 shooters @ :40
    10 x 25 breast w/wiffle ball @ :40
    50 EZ
    10 x 25 caterpillar fly drill @ :15 RI
    5 x 100 (50 free/25 scull/25 back kick) @:15 RI
    6 x 25 long breast pullouts
    50 EZ

Total: 2100

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just did an IG recovery workout in about 50 minutes before rushing to the doctor's office. Good thing I didn't listen to Faux Dr. Thornton and his ignore shoulder pain/forego MRI advice! I was most frustrated by his failure to pay attention to the facts of my particular situation, instead just espousing his general theories. It's been 4+ months and every conservative measure failed to work. Anyway, the MRIs showed a labral tear in the left shoulder in the exact area where I have been experiencing pain and some tendinopathy. I also have degenerative discs (DDD) and arthritis in my neck. One disc is bulging and may be causing nerve damage. I have an EMG next Friday to hopefully rule that out. This may sound worse than it is. Everyone my age is going to have some degeneration and arthritis. If I had continued to ignore the pain, I could potentially have made the labral tear more severe and/or herniated a disc in my neck or worsened the disc damage. The labral tear is not surgical right now. I opted for image guided PRP (platelet rich plasma injections) in the shoulder, scapular and neck. PRP is used for all 3 conditions -- labral tears, arthritis and DDD. PRP should help to stabilize the neck and halt progress of the DDD. And hopefully keep me more pain free. I've been having periodic localized upper scapular pain off and on for years. It never occurred to me that it was a neck problem rather than a shoulder problem. This is just another good reason to carry on with my no distance free policy! I have another PRP appointment set up for right after Nationals. The labral tear makes me a bit leery ... But odds are nothing worse will happen before Nationals, and I have gotten one treatment in. Really looking forward to taper this time to reduce the AFAP work. I was not happy to hear this news, but at least I know I wasn't imagining the nature or origin of the pain or exaggerating symptoms. My doctor said I should not have waited so long to seek treatment and that I have a rather high pain tolerance. Feeling kind of sore from all the injections at the moment. Definitely back to no upper body lifting.

I await Jim's mea culpa.

Mayo Clinic on PRP: http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2010-mchi/5702.html
    -- My brother recently had PRP at Mayo to good effect on his achilles.

March: 23 swims in 30 days with 5 days off (4 my usual Sat off). That must be a record for me.

Updated March 31st, 2012 at 11:01 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts