View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Tues June 14, 2011

by , June 15th, 2011 at 03:20 PM (Canuck Countdown)
    Kinsmen Aquatic Centre
    WWU Pool (SCM)

WARM UP
    400 free
    300 as 25 back alternating with 25 breast
    200 kick
    100 scull

20 x 50 @ 1:00 as
    4 x 50 alt flutter and dolphin kick
    4 x 50 alt single arm free and fly
    4 x 50 alt free with dolphin kick and fly with flutter kick
    8 x 50 alt free and fly (descend in pairs)

Main Set
    with paddles and pullbuoy, continuous
    1 x 100 free @ 1:20
    1 x 100 free @ 1:25
    2 x 100 free @ 1:20
    2 x 100 free @ 1:25
    3 x 100 free @ 1:20
    3 x 100 free @ 1:25

with paddles and pullbuoy, continuous
    1 x 50 back @ :50
    1 x 50 back @ :55
    2 x 50 back @ :50
    2 x 50 back @ :55
    3 x 50 back @ :50
    3 x 50 back @ :55

100 EZ

Total Distance = 4000 meters

Commentary
    I really enjoyed the 12 x 100 pull. I didn't have any problems with the set at all, but I was the only one in the entire pool who was able to complete it. I held 1:10 - 1:14 throughout.

I decided to join the Alberta Summer Swimming Association (ASSA) this year so that I could swim a few off-season meets. Background: Here in Canada, our season unofficially ends upon completion of our annual Nationals competition, which is always held on the Friday thru Monday of our May long weekend. And our season doesn't unofficially begin again until September. While some swimmers will continue to train, most don't compete unless they travel abroad or do open water swims. In years past, Masters swimmers weren't able to compete in ASSA events. However, this year ASSA made adjustments to their eligibility requirements that allow Masters swimmers to compete. For more info, check out the link above.

Anyhow, I'm going to swim in my first ASSA meet on Saturday. Entered 50 free, 50 back, 100 back, and 100 breast. Although I'm almost exclusively a freestyler, I swam all 18 short course events this year for the first time ever. Now I want to try to improve my times and rankings in some off events, and these ASSA meets will give me a chance to do that. Also - following the prescription of Rich Abrahams - I'm going to try to get 15,000 meters of race effort in before I go to Worlds and/or USMS Nationals next summer. Swimming a few ASSA meets will help me towards that goal this summer.

I have a question about race effort swimming outside of meets, though. Should it only be applied to shorter distances (50s and 100s) or does it make sense to try to do race effort swims across the board? Being a freestyler / flyer, that would mean 50 - 1500 free and 50 - 100 fly for me. I would definitely do many more 50s and 100s than 1500s. However, I have calculated my training goal times (Worlds competition goal times + 4%) for everything, and think it might be reasonable to try to do 1-2 1500s, 3-4 800s, 6-8 400s, 10-12 200s during training over the next year. All comments welcome!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Sun June 12, 2011

by , June 15th, 2011 at 02:32 PM (Canuck Countdown)
    Kinsmen Aquatic Centre
    Competition Pool (LCM)

Warmup
    200 swim
    200 kick
    100 pull

8 x 50 IM drill @ 1:00

Main Set
    5 x 200 IM @ 3:30

100 EZ

Total Distance = 2000 meters

Commentary
    Only swam about 50 minutes this morning. Had very low energy - probably a result of staying up the night before until 5 AM drinking with my cousin! I remember one birthday back in University when I asked my coach if he saw any problems with me having a few beers that evening (Saturday with no workout on Sunday). He said "one is OK. Two - be careful. Three - no way!" I'm sure I had at least a six pack anyway. Back then, a hangover wouldn't linger past a day. Now, I'll be noticeably more tired for two or three days.

Updated July 22nd, 2011 at 11:16 AM by lewba

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -06/16/11

by , June 15th, 2011 at 12:22 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM
    WARM UP:
    3 X 100 2:00 1:45
    2 X 150 2:45 2:30
    1 X 200 3:30 -
    Two times. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

1 X 200 kick + 100 easy swim

1 X 200 IM 4:00
    1 X 100 stroke 2:15
    2 X 50 stroke 1:15
    Three rounds. Short break between rounds.

8 X 50 kick 1:15
    odd: moderate even: build to fast
    1 X 100 easy swim

1 x 100 @ 100% choice

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

3900M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Change of Pace.... and Stroke

by , June 15th, 2011 at 11:44 AM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    With so many of the last workouts being distance focused, today was a total change of pace - and we got to do stroke too! Unfortunately, the pool was back to SCY - and it went sideways. So... we get to DO backstroke; we just can't tell where we are. With no flags up, the coach simply kept reminding us to be careful and count strokes. Fortunately, I didn't hit the wall; unfortunately, I didn't do many good backstroke flip turns either. The age group coach says working on getting the pool LCM for the rest of the season in just a few days. As for today, here's what we did:

400 Warm-Up (yes, I actually stopped chatting and did the full-warm up )
    4 x 100 Kick on 2:00
    1 x 600 Pull on 10:00
    4 sets:
    - 1 x 200 Drill/Swim by 25s on 4:00
    - 4 x 50 Stroke FAST on 1:10
    300 Cool-Down
    Total Yards - 3300

For the main set, I did fly (w/ fins), back (w/ fins), and two rounds of free (w/o fins). I don't seem to be able to feel the backstroke catch (where I actually get any power) if I don't have my fins on - even if I don't kick. My new theory is that my butt is dropping too much when I swim backstroke without my fins. So, now that I have a theory, I can experiment. If I could actually figure backstroke out and improve - that would be awesome. I'll report back what I figure out.

Until then, happy swimming!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Wednesday Workout - Where's Dave?

by , June 15th, 2011 at 08:42 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Dave didn't show up today which meant I had to lead the lane. That isn't so bad... I don't like being in the middle during flip turns. I missed the draft though.

LCM

300 Free Warm up
    200 Kick
    200 Pull
    400 Free

4 x 100 Kick
    2 x 200 Free
    4 x 50 Kick

4 x 100 Pull
    4 x 100 Free Down/IM Back
    2 x 200 Free
    4 x 50 Pull
    4 x 50 IM

5 x 200 - Odds IM/Evens Free

200 Cool Down

(4900m total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Decent day overall

by , June 15th, 2011 at 07:39 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Another great day when I got to the pool. No pain going up the stairs! This time no incidents on the deck either.

Still have the elbow issue and am continuing with the ice, heat and ultrasound therapy's. As much as I hate taking drugs I am going to start back on aspirin for the inflamation.

10x100@2:00 Free
    500 Back kick drills w/fins by 100 streamline, fashion model, arms perpendicular, partial recovery, streamline
    500 Free kick w/fins
    5x100@1:45 as 50 Free/50 Back w/fins sprint all were around 1:25 or better
    5x100 from dive sprint 1st 15 meters free then easy to the 15 meter mark on the other side of pool then backstroke in and out of the turn at full speed then easy free to the 15 meter mark at the start end then sprint back into the wall an flip but don't push off

Total 3000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Monday & Tuesday, June 13-14, 2011 5:00am

by , June 14th, 2011 at 10:48 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Monday

Cool down from the meet in Corvallis
    500 Free
    300 Free Pull
    200 Kick w/ board
    500 Free
    ------------------
    1500 Yards
    Nothing too strenuous, just easy swimming.

Tuesday

Didnít feel like swimming much today. I just didn't have the energy or desire to do it again.
    500 Free
    400 Free Pull
    300 K/Dr Free/Fly mix
    500 Free Pull
    -------------------
    1700 Yards

I'm basically done with full time swim training for the summer. My job just won't allow for me to swim. I have be working way too early, and work late, then watch the kids while my wife is at work in the evenings. The best part of the summer is the overtime $$$$. I don't know where any of it is from the past years, but it feels good on the paychecks.
    I'm going to try keeping my body in shape with P90X DVDs over the summer. At least I can do that right here at home, if I'm not too exhausted from work.

I do have one more competition set up on July 9-10, right here in Wenatchee for a local USA-S meet. I'm basically doing this for the love of racing, because I don't anticipate any masters best times next month, but who knows?
    Saturday, 400 Free, 200 IM, 100 Fly
    Sunday, 200 Free, 100 Back , 50 Free, 200 Fly
  8. Tuesday, June 14

by , June 14th, 2011 at 10:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

Survived the heat. Today, I determined that I sweat more than any female in the class. Seriously, there are women who leave the class with their hair half dry. How can this be in 110 degree heat and humidity? Am I in better shape, drink too much water, heat intolerance? At least every pore gets worked!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Starting to mull over what I'm going to do for exercise on vacation. I have limited tolerance for swimming in a small pool; I will probably just get in to maintain feel. I'm going to bring my TRX, hit the weight room, perhaps do some tabata on the bike, and hit the elliptical machine. I'm sure I'll work out less than usual and it may feel like somewhat of a taper. I have about 2 1/2 weeks after returning to hit it hard in the pool and then do a 2 week taper for Nats. Very low expectations for my 100s. And I was just starting to feel in better shape!

Tonight I went to a scholarship banquet hosted by our town's sports organization. Fort Son won the MVP scholarship for cross country & track. They're awarded to kids who excel in our local youth sports programs (football, basketball, lacrosse, wrestling, track, etc.) and then in the same sports in high school. It was a blast from the past to see some of his friends from elementary school. And the slide show with pics from their youth was hilarious. Where does the time go?

Power foods:

http://www.livestrong.com/blog/blog/..._ibsrc=fanpage

TRX Exercise Library:

http://www.ideafit.com/exercise-libr...ension-trainer

Updated June 15th, 2011 at 09:28 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  9. Tuesday

by , June 14th, 2011 at 09:51 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I decided to cut meterage and rest up a little for the 5K event I'll be doing this week-end.
    Tonight was Nasti LCM:
    **500 Free :15 sec rest
    **400 Free :15 sec rest
    **300 Free :15 sec rest
    **200 free :15 sec rest
    **100 Free :10 Sec rest
    **200 Free/ 150 Free/ 100 Free/ 50 Free
    **50 Free/ 100 Free/ 150 Free/ 200 Free
    ** :10 sec rest between each

2,500 easy stretchy freestyle

I'm going to do some shorter, faster paced free tomorrow on interval. It felt good tonight to just swim and stretch. Yesterday I was sooo tired. I had lunch at Zacky's Hot Dog with my oldest daughter and pretty much spent the rest of the day engaged in napping. I really don't know why I was so tired; much better today though!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Restful day

by , June 14th, 2011 at 07:47 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Skipped practice yesterday - which turned out to be a wise thing.
    Swam a rather leisurely 3600 today & I'm feeling much more human now.

700 back/free
    2 x 300 pull no paddles
    300 kick
    4 x 150 breast/free/free
    300 kick
    12 x 50 on 1:00 (the only intervals I did today)
    600 long & "strong"

3600 LCM
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Ocean IMs

Today I had an easy and relaxing swim out at Brighton Beach. The Manhattan Island Marathon Swim is happening on Saturday, and MIMS swimmers from all over the world are converging on the city for that event. I had been forwarded an email late last week from an Aussie swimmer looking for company at Brighton during weekdays this week. I wanted to swim outdoors today anyway, so I arranged my schedule to meet up with him for a mid-morning swim. My relay mate John and a couple of other CIBBOWS swimmers were also able to make it out. The weather was a little brisk, and the 5 of us probably accounted for about 10 percent of all beachgoers this morning! I didnít see a single other soul in the water. The friendly lifeguards (who very kindly watch our stuff while weíre in the ocean) were amused that we were once again out there swimming when they were wrapped up in their parkas.

Before we got in, I pointed out a few landmarks and explained the 5K loop. John and Ollie chose to swim that, and I headed out with them towards the pier for my planned 2-mile swim, while Suzanne and Melissa headed in the opposite direction for a 1-miler. The two guys were very quickly past me and out of sight. Conditions were very similar to Saturday, with a moderate east wind making swimming very easy towards the pier, and creating some rolling chop directly at you on the way back. The water was really clear todayóI could see about 8 feet down or soóand the water was really green, especially when the sun peeked out.

I swam out to the pier, then stopped there to watch a group of lifeguards training on the beach. They were running wind sprints and doing push-ups and jumping jacks, and the group was very visible in their matching fluorescent orange shorts. I was hoping they would get in for a swim as well, but they didnít. There were fewer people on the pier than usual, and I only saw one guy fishing. The water didnít smell fishy down there as it often does, so I floated around and played for a while to get a bit more comfortable with being down that way. Then I turned around and headed into the waves for the swim back.

A big cargo ship was going by far out, roughly parallel to the way I was swimming, so I tried racing it for a while. (I lost.) I played around with doing fly and breaststroke into the waves, then had a brilliant idea: I would IM back to my starting point! I started out doing 8 stroke cycles of each stroke, then 12, then 16, all the way up to 40, then back down again. At 32 I got tired of counting, so decided that for the rest of the way I would just switch strokes whenever I got bored with doing the same one. That was really fun. Iíve been wanting to do some ocean IMs ever since I started back swimming this spring, but I worried about doing much fly armstroke or breaststroke kicking when the water was cold, out of fear that my joints or muscles might be a little tighter than usual and I would end up hurting myself. Now that the water is warm Iím going to do lots of open-water IMing! Thereís only so much freestyle a person can do.

When I reached the end of my swim I stayed in the water, just floating and letting the waves push me around. I dove down to the bottom to look for crabs but didnít see a one. Finally I got out. Up on the beach I got dressed and waited for the guys to get back from their longer swim. We left the beach just as dark clouds were rolling in and drops were starting to fall. On the subway ride back into the city we swapped notes about MIMS. Iím looking forward to a couple more beach days this week before swimming the MIMS relay on Saturday. Exciting times!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -06/15/11

by , June 14th, 2011 at 02:36 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM
    WARM UP:
    2 X 200 3:45 3:30
    1 X 100 2:00 1:45
    1 X 100 kick 2:30 -
    Two times. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

8 X 50 kick 1:15
    odd: easy even: fast
    1 X 100 easy swim

1 X 50 1:00
    1 X 100 2:00
    1 X 150 2:45
    1 X 200 3:45
    Four times through.
    Round 1: 50 is fast
    Round 2: 100 is fast
    Round 3: 150 is fast
    Round 4: 200 is fast

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4500M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Tuesday, 6/14/11

by , June 14th, 2011 at 01:42 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    I didn't swim yesterday. Didn't get home from Boise until around midnight Sunday night and then didn't sleep well so I was really tired all day yesterday.

SCM

Warm up
    400 swim
    - did back & free
    300 Pull
    - free w/buoy and big paddles
    200 Kick
    - on back in streamline
    100 Drill
    - fist drill, all free

Main
    4 x 100/1:45 strong
    - free, ave 1:30
    1 x 200/4:00 easy
    2 x 150 IM/3:00 Build
    - ugh!
    8 x 25/30 Fast with fins
    8 x 25/45 15 fast- 10 smooth
    - did all free on first set. 4 free, 4 back on 2nd set
    - not sure of times on 25's

Kick
    4 x 50/1:15 smooth
    - with board and snorkel, no fins. Ave 1:00

Sprint
    12 x 50/50
    Odds all out fly, evens smooth free
    - again not sure of times. can't see clock very well from far end of pool.

Warm Down - 100 easy free/back

Total: 2900 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Surprise LCM Day....

by , June 14th, 2011 at 09:57 AM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    Life has gotten incredibly busy and, while I've managed to still find my time in the pool, blogging about it had to take a back seat for a little while. But.... at least "busy" did not mean "bad" - just busy. My oldest is doing a Women in Engineering camp at Purdue for 9th grade girls this week and was thrilled at the chance to be on campus. I'm hoping she has a blast! My youngest is taking pottery this week and given her propensity for getting dirty, should have a wonderful time too.

On an interesting little side note, team practice at North Central was cancelled both Saturday and Monday (although I still swam both days, but just at the Y). Oddly enough, during a storm on Saturday morning (when no one was fortunately in the pool), North Central was struck by lightning - which knocked out the electrical system and filter system for the pool. Repairs were finally completed Monday and we were back at it this morning. The bonus? Since they were doing repairs, no one had time to switch the pool from LCM to SCY this morning, so we got a bonus LCM swim in. Here's what the team (I) swam this morning:

400 Warm-Up (managed 250 before time was up)
    2 x 350 Free on 6:00 (2 x 300 for me)
    7 x 100 Free on 1:40 (6 x 100 w/ fins; 1 x 50 putting fins on)
    1 x 700 Free on 12:00 (I did a 600 kick)
    7 x 100 Free on 1:40 (made them all w/ fins)
    2 x 350 Free on 6:00 (2 x 300 Pull for me)
    200 Cool-Down
    Total as Written - 4100 LCM (me - 3600)

All in all, I was pretty happy with how I swam this morning. There were a few lanes of swimmers who were doing 7 x 75s instead of the 7 x 100s. Of course, they were NOT wearing fins. I'm in debate mode right now.... I really like the people I share a lane with, but they are so much faster than me that keeping up with them requires me to wear fins - BUT it does give me that extra burst of motivation to really push it. But, would I be better off moving down a few lanes and swimming with people of my own ability level? Not sure I would push as hard to improve then....

Is it better to share a lane with people much faster than you and wear fins to keep up or share a lane with people who reduce distance, but swim without gear? Thoughts?

Enjoy your swims today!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Tuesday workout

by , June 14th, 2011 at 09:41 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    I've switched over all my fly to breast stroke until nationals. I figure I'm not swimming fly at nationals so there isn't much reason to train hard at it for the next month. Will probably convert back to free drill as well... or at least use a breathing pattern.

LCM

700 Warm up

4 x 50 IM order
    200 Kick
    4 x 50 IM order
    500 Free negative split

4 x 100 Free Down/IM Back
    200 Kick
    4 x 100 Free neg. split
    500 Pull

100 Free
    50 Choice Fast
    100 Free
    2 x 50 Choice (2nd Fast)
    100 Free
    3 x 50 Choice (3rd Fast)
    100 Free
    4 x 50 Choice (4th Fast)

4 x 100 Choice Drill/Free/Free/Choice stroke
    100 Easy

400 IM Easy cool down

(5100m Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Thought I was feeling good today

by , June 14th, 2011 at 07:30 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I got out of the car got up the stairs and low and behold No Back Pain! A great start, normally I look like a little old lady trying to get up those stairs.

When I finally got on deck and put my stuff down at my lane, I was just standing there and OUCH my back just spasmed painfully. Then and there my workout changed to a fly workout to loosen up. Yes my elbow is still an issue but sometimes the back pain outweighs the other aches and pains.

I want a full body transplant, something young, slim and strong please!

500 Free
    500 Free kick w/fins moderate pace
    5x200@4:00 Fly w/fins as 50 rt arm/50 lt arm/50 kick/50 swim went 3:37, 3:31, 3:28, 3:21, 3:14 (probably my best set of these in a long time)
    500 Free kick w/fins
    500 Free w/snorkle every 3rd lap kick

Total 3000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. WORKOUT 6/13/11

Had no energy tonight and don't really know why. I guess not every workout is a great one but I did stick with. Towards the end I really had to concentrate on keeping my stroke together. I know that everyone has to do this when they get tired but tonight was absolutely terrible. I'll take my lumps and move on from here.

300 choice
    200 kick
    8 x 75 (drill,swim,build) @ 1:30 IM order

3 rounds of the following 1:30/100 base
    2 x 200 buoy and snorkel
    400 swim descend 1-3
    2 x 50 non free @50

4 x 125 @ 2:00 sprint
    odds free
    evens stroke

200 w/d

4400 scy

Round 1 was a mess and I needed to get my head back in the game. Round 2 was a little better but not good enough. Round 3 was the best so at least I finished that set on a positive note.

I had forgotten that we had the 125's to do at the end and I struggled through those. I plan on doing a recovery swim in the morning and will maybe do some snorkel work to stretch my stroke out.

Less then two weeks till my first LCM meet as a masters swimmer. Really looking forward to it and feel like I have nothing to lose. I need to have a few really good practices before then just to get my mind right.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Monday, June 13

by , June 13th, 2011 at 09:51 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC exercises
    flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 50
    power wheel roll outs, 2 x 15
    power wheel pike ups, 2 x 20
    reverse scoops w/kettleball, 25 x 2 x 15

single arm row, 4 sets of 10 each arm @ 55, 60, 65, 65
    single leg extensions, 4 sets of 10 each leg @ 30
    push press, 50 x 3 x 10
    explosive leg press, 270 x 2 x 10
    bulgarian single leg squats, 30 x 2 x 10 each leg
    knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    200 fly drills

Main Sets:

-- Modified a recent Tall Paul Sprint Option

3 x 100 free w/paddles @ 2:30, descend
    1:08, 1:03, :58
    2 x 50 fast kick @ 1:30
    -- did dolphin kick w/fins & board
    -- went high 26-27
    -- tried to keep my feet underwater more
    100 EZ
    4 x 50 descend @ 1:30
    -- did breast w/fins
    -- 40, 36, 32, high 30-31
    2 x 50 fast kick w/fins & board
    -- did flutter kick
    -- went 27s
    100 EZ

3 x 100 backstroke, cruise @ 2:00
    2 x 50 @ 1:30
    -- 25 fast free w/fins (11s) + 25 DAB
    4 x 25 @ 1:00
    -- burst dolphin kick to 15 m, no fins
    2 x 50 fast kick w/fins (11s) @ 1:30
    100 EZ

Warm Down:

8 x 50
    odds = SSR drill
    evens = fly or breast drill

Total: 2700

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Not sure I got all my drylands. Managed to delete my note on my iphone. Left shoulder is sore. This is probably from the 400 yards of fly yesterday ... No way can I ever really train for the 100 fly with my left shoulder; just have to fake it and dolphin kick. The swim workout seemed way harder than the 2700 yards would suggest! But I felt like I held up pretty well doing two speed workouts in a row. This pool now has 4 digital clocks. I have to remind myself to use them. So much easier to keep track of times with them as opposed to pace clocks.

Just yoga tomorrow.

Updated June 14th, 2011 at 09:31 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  19. Report on Meet #2

by , June 13th, 2011 at 07:34 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Went down to Sarasota for my 2nd meet as an old lady - wasn't too bad, but I think it would've been much more fun if I had some team mates with me - of course, that would be presuming that I had team mates. . .

Got down to the pool with 20 minutes left of warm up - I was in heat 3, fortunately, so I got in a nice little 900 easy for "warm up" - the pool was really cool, especially for Florida summers - nice to have Geothermal cooling!! Went out waaay too fast - and considering the effort, you would think my first 100 would have been an awesome 1:15 or something - no, it was a 1:21. However, I was clever, and had David put my split on the counter, instead of the lap, so I was able to kinda check myself as I went along - was holding mostly 29's & 30's - and felt like a "thrashing slug" by the end. I have a lot of work to do. Saturday was quite fun; the meet started at 11:00, and David & I went to a few of the cute little shops down there, found this adorable Scandinavian Shop, yada yada - started off the 200 free feeling pretty good - and beat what my guessed entry time was by about 5 seconds. (Same on the 800) - the 100 breast was next - and I was sorta feeling the exhaustion around 75m, again, was better than my guess by about 5 seconds. The 400 free was the best - I was in lane four - and I just went out very calmly "long & strong" - and did a 22 for the first 100. Then a 27, 28, 25. Was leading the entire heat until about 325m, when my friends in lanes 5 & 6 turned on the back burners & left me behind. Rather humiliating - that they had that much energy left at the end there!! Gotta get more good training under my belt - especially some repeats on quick intervals. However, once again, beat my guessed entry time by about 5-7 seconds.
    Sunday was the worst - woke up with tummy trouble (probably from Saturday's breakfast) and tried to make it through my events, but ended up scratching - swam the 200 breast trying really hard to not have to get out and vomit - especially at the end where the bulk head was - my fellow swimmers would not have appreciated me if I had!! Drove home with a cool cloth on my head & was still kinda nauseous this AM, so skipped practice (nothing like getting OOB at 5am, driving to the pool, and realizing you should have stayed in bed!!).

Have "relearned" something this weekend - stop worrying about what the other swimmers are doing & whether or not you win your heat, or even your age group - go in there with the attitude that this is a challenge between you and yourself only - can I hold this pace, wonder if I can go such and such time - boy - my stomach was in knots most of Friday & Saturday until the 400, when I decided to just swim my own race - so glad I finally remembered how to do that!!

Next on the agenda: Ocala one day meet in July (200 & 400 free, maybe the 100 or 200 breast just to break it up)
    And Nationals in August. Of course, now David can't go with me, and if I don't have anyone to "be with" I might not go - it's very hard for me to go solo to these things. I do have my hotel reservation, so I might consider asking if anyone (female) wants to split the room - but if she does, I hope she doesn't swim my events!

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. 5K Postal

by , June 13th, 2011 at 01:28 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Didnt swim Saturday and then did the 5k swim yesterday evening with my club in Boise. It went pretty good considering I am not a distance swimmer. Did the swim in just under 1:28 which is my best time of the 3 times I have swam this event. I now have about 6 weeks to prepare to swim the 10K.
    Categories
    Uncategorized