View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Workout 09/24/12:

by , September 24th, 2012 at 10:00 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill
    8 x 75 on 1:20
    - 1 thru 4: kick
    - 5 thru 8: 50 kick, 25 swim IMO

6 x 100 Fr on 1:35 DPS with snorkel (flipped each turn)

1 x 300 Fr on 4:00 with pull buoy, no breathe in reds
    3 x 100 on 1:30 (Fr, Bk, IM)
    2 x 150 Fr on 2:05 pull with buoy

6 x 50 Fr on :40 strong with paddles
    300 w/d with snorkel various skull, drill, smoothed stroke
    (Solo/Rec/3300yds/60 min)
    ---------------------------
    I was beat from basketball last night! My left ankle, previously broken from a snowboarding accident ten years ago, always swells up after running, so that is annoying. Quads were a tad barky today, too. Slept poorly as well, so I stayed in bed late today and took it easy. Finished rounds 4 thru 9 of jelly making and now I am blogging from the hot run, not an easy task!

Plan to swim tomorrow am before work, then hit the pool again on Friday. Have a good week, everyone!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Monday, Sept. 24, 2012 5:15-5:45pm at the Y

by , September 24th, 2012 at 09:20 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    A quick solo swim in the Y lap lanes tonight...have to skip the normal practice as I have the bi-monthly LMSC conference call tonight.

200 Free @ 3:00 (2:20)
    200 Free Pull @ 3:00 (2:20)
    200 IM @ 3:10 (2:40)

200 Free @ 2:50 (2:22)
    200 Free Pull @ 2:50 (2:20)
    200 IM @ 3:00 (2:43)

200 Free @ 2:40 (2:25)
    200 Free Pull @ 2:40 (2:25)
    200 IM @ 2:50 (2:45)

200 EZ and out

----------------------
    2000 Yards in 30 min.

Descent little aerobic set, wasn't going for any "gung-ho" efforts, just swimming and trying not to injure the other lap swimmers.
  3. The results are in, ladies and gentleman

by , September 24th, 2012 at 07:56 PM (slick's shoulder surgery blog)
    I must have still been in a denial phase, because two days after the meet I went back to the pool. My shoulder and arm were dead sore, but for some reason I had to test it out. I made it through warm-up before I got out. My entire arm had gone numb with pins and needles, and I was feeling “the click” during freestyle which was something I had only felt with backstroke before. No bueno.

I felt like there was a whole lot more at stake this time around. Over the past six months I completely re-discovered my love for the sport, and I knew that I was a better person because of it. At this point I knew that I should go back to the doctor and get some professional medical advice on my whole situation. The game had changed for me. Now that swimming was back and in the near-center of my life again, I had to take my injury more seriously.

A few days later, I got referrals to go back to physical therapy and to see an orthopedic surgeon. The ortho doc ordered an MRI and told me that I should do kick-only workouts for a few weeks. My plans for training and attending the next upcoming meets were pretty much shot right there, which was disappointing in the least. So, for the month of February 2012, I did kick sets in the gutter lane and went to physical therapy 1-2 times per week. My MRI was scheduled for early March, right after I got back from vacation.

A week after my MRI, I had a follow-up with the orthopedic surgeon. My results were as follows:

IMPRESSION:
    1.Avulsion of the anterior posterior labrum with intact periosteum compatible with Perthes lesion.
    2.Linear labral tear involving the superior and posterior labrum.
    3.Hill-sachs deformity.
    4.Undersurface fraying of the suprastpinatus tendon.

Basically, I have fairly standard traumatic dislocation injuries. Perthes lesion is a variant of a Bankart tear. Hill-sachs refers to a compression fracture in the humeral head, caused by bone-on-bone action when the shoulder dislocates from the joint. My labrum is all torn up and detached from the glenoid in certain areas. All this damage adds up to having a shoulder that doesn’t stay in place all that well. My rotator cuff and biceps tendon are A-OK though, so I guess that’s good lol.

So, based the results, I was recommended for surgery. I asked the surgeon, on a spectrum of minor to severe instability, where was I? I mean, I had read that some people have shoulders so unstable that they dislocate in their sleep! “Well, it’s not good, but it’s not horrible,” she said. I found that to be really helpful – NOT lol. She told me to think about my lifestyle, and if I would be willing to continue to live with my current situation of occasional interruptions followed by an annoying level of pain/soreness/dead feeling/pins and needles. She said that swimming itself would not make the injury worse – only actual events of subluxation could possibly worsen the damage. But by that point I had been through at least a dozen since my original dislocation, and that I was pretty much at risk at all times since minor everyday movements could cause my shoulder to sublux. But she also assured me that she wouldn’t recommend surgery unless she thought that it would help me.

I left the doctor’s office depressed and skeptical. I knew that I had A LOT to think about.

Updated September 25th, 2012 at 01:51 PM by swimslick

Tags: mri, surgery
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Little Red Lighthouse Swim

This past weekend I swam the 10.2K Little Red Lighthouse Swim. It was a very pleasant early-fall day, and a great way to mark the end of the summer open-water season. A ton of CIBBOWS buddies and TNYA teammates were out swimming and/or volunteering, so it felt like an end-of-the-season social as much as a race. This year the swim start was within easy walking distance from my apartment, and the 10:30 start let me enjoy a leisurely wakeup before ambling over to the 79th Street Boat Basin to check-in. I then got to hang out in beautiful Riverside Park for an hour or so before they started lining us up for the start.

This year the race went from south to north up the Hudson (the direction of the river changes every 6 hours with tidal cycles, so you can swim either way in it as long as the timing is right). This event has tended in the past to swim very short—the winning times in last year’s 10K edition was 1h20. This year the race director warned us to expect a longer swim (the length is largely determined by when tidal cycle the swim is started, and how strong the tides are on race day). But he’s said that before when the swim has proved short, so I didn’t really know whether low long to expect to be in the water. I tucked a couple of gels into my cap just in case I needed them.

The first waves were scheduled to start just as the current was changing, with the current would picking up throughout the race. Before the start, I could see that the tide had not yet shifted in our favor—the boats in front of us were still being pushed to the south of their moorings. But as they marched the first of 9 waves down to the starting dock, I could see the boats slowly drifting towards their buoys, and knew that the tide would soon be heading north.

I was in the 8th of 9 waves—we were starting slowest to fastest—and I finished up a sports bar and downed a bottle of water while we were lining up and marching down to the docks. Waves were sent off about 5 minutes apart. Finally it was our turn. We jumped off the dock in numerical order---NYCSwim events are very organized--and lined up in the water to await the start signal. We would be making our way gradually out into the river, then swimming roughly parallel to shore, trying to stay fairly close to the buoys that marked the course—it didn’t matter what side of them we swam on, as long as we stayed close to the buoy line and didn’t wander over to New Jersey. I thought the early current might be fastest nearer shore, but even so I moved all the way to the left of my wave before the start, just because it seemed less crowded over there, and also because I find it easier not to run into other swimmers when they’re on my right (my favored breathing side). We started, and there were no problems with crowding as we maneuvered ourselves out into the river.

The water was comfortable (70 degrees), there was a slight to moderate trailing wind, and the swimming felt easy. I enjoyed being able to see Manhattan on my right, and swimming by landmarks that I often pass by when walking. It was sunny and clear, a beautiful day to be out in the river. Soon after the start I could see the eastern stanchion of the GW Bridge in the distance, and as suggested I sighted on it rather than on the buoys. (The latter were orange, as were some of the swimcaps, so that was occasionally confusing). Sometimes I found myself out a little far and being herded back in by the kayaks, but I never got close to the boats that patrolling the western edge of our allotted swim space. I could see lots of other swimmers in my wave around me, and we occasionally passed through some dense clumps of swimmers from earlier waves—it reminded me a bit of how groups of cars cluster together on the highway. Unlike highways, though it always felt very free and spacious, with plenty of room to pass.

Around the Columbia neighborhood the wind seemed to pick up, making some bigger waves. It grew harder to see other swimmers if they were more than a couple of yards away. I swam for about a mile without being able to see anything around me—no buoys, no other swimmers, no kayaks. (I had seen the kayaks that were herding the left side of the course cross over to herd in some swimmers who were following the shoreline inward at this point). I felt a glorious sense of freedom, and part of me wished that swimming in the Hudson could always be like this—just me and the river. I didn’t worry about getting too far off course, because the stanchion in the distance was very easy to sight. However, after a while I began to get uneasy about being so alone out there—the river felt very big, and I began to feel very small. I turned over and did a few strokes of backstroke while looking around, and was reassured to see some swimmers and a kayak trailing along behind me. So I turned back over and enjoyed the sweet solitude a bit longer.

Around Riverbank I saw a couple of swimmers up ahead of me. One of them had black swimsuit straps and a recovery than looked a lot like Hannah’s. We had started in the same wave, but I hadn’t seen her since the start. I speeded up a bit to see if it was her. It was! It took me a bit to pull even with her—I had to get around the other swimmer who was nearby—but eventually I did, and we stroked together for a bit, smiling at each other when we breathed. I was hoping we would swim the rest of the race together like that, but we got separated when passing a swimmer ahead of us. We eventually got back to a place where we could see each other while swimming, though, and it made me happy to be swimming with a friend out there.

It seemed to take a long time to get past Riverbank, but soon enough I had passed it and the GW Bridge was looming up ahead. I did backstroke under it, and enjoyed looking up at the massive span, and over at its little friend for whom the race is named.

It knew it was about a mile from the GWB to the finish at Dyckman Street, so after the bridge I picked up the pace. A few hundred meters from the finish I was chasing a couple of swimmers when I felt the ankle band holding my race chip coming loose. At first I ignored it, but I was worried that it would fall off, so I stopped to fix it. (Not sure how the velcro undid itself, but it started out tight and ended up loose enough to have almost slip over my foot at this point). That ended up being a good, thing, though because I got a good look at the finish while I was stopped and saw that I was a little too far out and needed to correct course. (This intuition was confirmed by a nearby boat screaming “Turn in NOW!” a few strokes after I started up again). The finish was just past some roped-off debris; once past it you needed to make a sharp right-hand turn to finish at the boat ramp. A couple of swimmers who had judged the finish better than I got past me at this point, but the two swimmers ahead of me, who seemed intent on racing each other, had gone even further than I had. One of them got back past me on the finishing stretch, but I narrowly beat the other to the ramp. (They were both from the wave after me in any case, so both ended up with significantly faster times, but it’s always nice to have some reason to sprint to the finish in races!)

At the finish I got to see all my pals and swap race stories. The Dyckman Street area was a good place to hang out—we sat on some boulders by the river and watched the rest of the finishers come in. My sense during the race was that the course was swimming relatively “long” this year, and that was confirmed at the end. The fastest swimmers finished in 1:48, still short for a 10k, but significantly longer than last year. My time of 2:06:46 put me 38th overall (out of 299 starters / 284 finishers), 8th woman, and first in my age group. During the awards it was fun to see how many youngsters had done the swim, and how many competitors had travelled from far away.

I ended up not needing the gels I had packed in my cap—I got hungry with about a half mile to go, but by then it didn’t seem worthwhile to stop. I was very glad to get some food and water when I finished though. I appreciated the longer swim this year, in part because it made things less stacked up at the finish, and I thought this year’s course was a good one. All in all, it was another great race put on by NYCSwim, and I enjoyed the day immensely!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Monday, Sept. 24

by , September 24th, 2012 at 04:51 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    10 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    50 EZ

Speed Sets:

I did sets from Workouts #1 & 2 from the HIT forum today: [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=21408"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]

8 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    100 EZ

3 x (5 x 50 + 50 EZ) @ 1:30
    Round 1 = 8/9/10/11/12 fast strokes free w/fins (12 is almost a full 25)
    Round 2 = 8/10/12/14/16 fast dolphin kicks from a dive
    Round 3 = Round 1 = 8/9/10/11/12 fast strokes free w/fins

100 EZ

5 x through VK
    :20 fast dolphin kick w/fins in streamline + :40 RI
    :30 easy dolphin kick w/fins, work on kicking both ways + :30 RI

-- The :20 fast is really hard on the legs with fins. I assigned :40 that way on the HIT forum. Need to revise that, it would be insanely hard if done right.
    -- Giving myself or 300 yards for that

150 EZ

6 x mid pool drag race @ 1:00
    -- 2 breast, 2 free, 2 dolphin kick UW

125 EZ

5 x tethered 40s w/fins @ 2:00
    -- swim/kick down to 20 yards, hold for :30 swimming or kicking fast, :10 rest on lane line, assisted fast free back

125 EZ

Total: 3200

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Since yesterday's team practice seemed geared toward 100 speed, today I just worked on raw speed. Still, the workout was deceptively hard.

World's best swimmers gather in Rio:
    http://blip.tv/morning-swim-show/str...-china-6368080

Immune System & Elite Swimmers:
    http://www.swimmingscience.net/2012/...ntent=FaceBook

Exercise for weight loss:
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...eight-loss/ght loss:
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Monday Sep 24th, 2012

by , September 24th, 2012 at 03:48 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Monday Sep 24th, 2012

Did not swim on Sun
    Swam and lifted on Sat last practice at Mabel Davis pool was 77
    LCM Main Set was
    12 x 200 on 3:15 in groups of 3 with 100 easy between each
    R1 80%, R2 85%, R3 90%, R4 95%
    think I held the last round under 2:30
    never really killed it then got out to make a 10am appointment

UP LATE last night messing with a Def Driving deadline
    5:00 am practice means 4:15 leave
    so I slept in and swam at

NOON to 1:15

Bess coached
    SCY UT Swim Center diving well, warm
    main pool is filled but looks green
    swam with Killeen, Jim, Korey, & Bob

Warm up
    did 5 or 600

Main Set

10 x 50 fr on 35
    made it

assigned 500 done 50 aerobic 50 strong
    did parts skipped some 50's to swim a little faster

8 x 50 on 35

assigned 400 neg split
    did 50's

6 x 50 on 35

assigned 300
    did 50's

21 x 50
    done 7 rounds of (2 fr on 35 1 k on 50)

Next Meet:

Sat Dec 1, 2012 - Sun Dec 2nd

2012 South Central SCM Reg Championships
    DAYS TILL

2013 South Central SCY Zone Championships
    Return to UT in early April, 2013
    The 1st time since 1999!
    Tentative dates: Fri Apr 5 - Sun Apr 7
    it wont be
    April 19 - 21 UT Swim Center Events Schedule say there's the TXLA Long Course Kick Off
    26, 27, 28 is too close to nats so it's likely to be 5, 6, 7 or 12, 13, 14
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Two steps forward, one step back

by , September 24th, 2012 at 01:52 PM (slick's shoulder surgery blog)
    About two months after joining Masters in August of 2011, I started thinking about competing in some meets. I wanted to put in some time and get into decent shape beforehand, so I decided that I would start swimming meets when the short course yards season came around. The first SCY meet was at the end of January 2012, so that would give me a full six months to train first. I also planned to swim at local SCY meets in February and March, which would help me get ready for our Association Championship meet in April.

So I started putting together a training plan, which pretty much just involved gradually increasing my weekly practices over the upcoming months. I had a vacation planned at the end of February, but by March I wanted to be swimming 5 days per week before tapering for the big meet in April. I didn’t have any set goal times or anything, I just wanted to see what I could do.

Soon January came around and I started to get pretty excited for my first USMS meet. A few days before the meet, I felt those familiar butterflies in my stomach as I prepared my packing list. Extra towels – check! Backup cap and goggles – check! Deck coat and sweats – check! Powerade and bagels – checkitty-check! I was definitely nervous but pumped.

I had signed up for 100 fly, 50 free, and 50 fly. My goals were to just make my seed times. 100 fly was up first –eep! My teammates were at the end of the pool cheering hard for me at the walls. Things started off great, but then the last 40 yards….well, let’s just say that I survived. I ended up going a 1:08, which I was happy with. I remembered that during my senior year of high school - two years after I had quit club swimming – I had gone a 1:07. So I felt pretty satisfied, until I saw my splits! I split a :30 and then :38. Ouch! Obviously I was a bit excited and I didn’t quite have the racing endurance I needed yet, but I knew there was lots of room for improvement.

Up next was the 50 free…the ol’ splash n’dash. After that 100 fly, my nerves just melted away so I was ready to have some fun. And it was totally fun….until the end of the race. Without thinking about it, I finished the race hard with my left arm outstretched. As soon as my hand hit the wall, I felt the tear and pop in my shoulder. I quietly mumbled obscenities as I exited the pool and walked over to the warm down area. I was totally shaken, and as soon as I jumped in the tears started flowing.

I hadn’t really given my shoulder injury much thought in a while, since it had been maybe 8-9 months since my last subluxation event. Maybe I just wanted to forget about it, or maybe I was distracted from it since starting back with Masters, or maybe I was in some level of denial. But suddenly I was harshly reminded of it, and it felt like a smack in the face. I guess it had finally dawned on me that my injury might not allow me to do what I had come to love again over the past six months, and I felt crushed.

But, I calmed myself down, picked myself up, and swam the 50 fly about 20 minutes later. I went a :29.4 – not bad for partially dislocating just a few minutes earlier. It was a nice consolation prize, but I left the meet with an overwhelming and devastating feeling of uncertainty for my future in the pool.

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -09/25/20122

by , September 24th, 2012 at 01:27 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    3 X 100 1:40
    1 X 300 4:30
    3 X 100 1:30
    1 X 200 3:00
    3 X 100 1:25

1 X 200 kick + 100 swim

12 X 50 1:05
    odd: easy
    even: fast

6 X 75 kick 1:45
    1 X 100 swim

1 X 200 3:00 2:50 2:40 2:30
    1 X 100 1:30 1:25 1:20 1:15
    1 X 50 :45 :45 :40 -
    Four rounds. Read intervals by round left to right.

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4450Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. 09.24.12 - Monday workout

by , September 24th, 2012 at 09:26 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Dave, Dave, Ray and Leah. Took it easy on the soccer yesterday. It was 6 v 6 which means less running. We had a sub so I took advantage of that frequently. Probably ended up with 45-60 minutes on the field. I was sore today but not nearly as bad as I usually am on Mondays.

SCY

600 Warm up

5 x 200 - 3:00 Odds IM, evens pull
    100 Easy
    On the first pull, my left goggle flipped backwards pressing into my eye socket. Even if I stopped, I would have had to take off the paddles, flip the goggles, clear them out, put paddles back on and then resume swimming. I chose to just suck it up and deal with it. Wish I hadn't.

5 x 150 - 2:30 50 Kick sandwiched inside a 100 IM. Tried to descend... did the last one on about 2:02.
    100 Easy

5 x 100 - 1:45 Stroke, IM Order + 100 Kick for the last one.
    100 Easy

4 x 75 Pull - 1:00 (made :50s)
    1 x 100 Pull - 1:00 (made 1:02)
    100 Easy

400 IM Drill

10 x 25 - :40
    * Odds underwater (2 x sdk on back w/ fins, 2 x sdk on belly with fins, 1 x br pullouts)
    * Evens hard
    100 Easy

10 x 100 - 1:30
    * 1-5 Descend (1:20, 1:15, 1:12, 1:10, 1:05)
    * 6-10 Ascend (1:05, 1:10, 1:15, 1:15, 1:15)

250 Cool down

(5550 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Speed work...didn't get as much done as I wanted

by , September 24th, 2012 at 07:30 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    1 hour 15 minutes is not enough to get these workouts done in on some days and today was one.

500 Free

4x25 scull + 25 kick @:20RI
    4x50 kick descend + 50 EZ @2:15 went 1:07, 1:01, 1:00, :58
    2x(4x25 free variables)@:45 1=EZ-fast 2=fast-EZ 3=100 pace 4 EZ
    50 EZ

3x(5x50) R1=free@1:15 R2=kick@1:30 R3=from dive good kick outs 1=8 fast strokes/kicks 2=10 fast strokes/kicks 3= 12 fast strokes/kicks 4=14 fast strokes/kicks 5=16 fast strokes/kicks
    100 EZ after every round

Would like to have had enough time to start the next set but didn't. After calculating the yardage it was not as little as I thought.

total 2400 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized