View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Workout 09/10/12:First day back to the Rec

by , September 10th, 2012 at 09:58 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)

Felt great to hop into the pool for this first time since June. The renovations to the pool area look great - they bumped out the western wall along lane one about four feet, revealing new gray tiles o(since they couldn't find leftover beige and orange from the 70's) and a bright whitewashed wall. That means more spectator space! Energy efficient lighting has been added, although just around the perimeter of the pool, so it is a little dark in the center (might be better when sun comes through the new windows on the upper part of the wall). Did I say ?

So what to do? Since I only swam six times last month, I decided for an easy mile, complete with plenty of breaks throughout.

3 x 200 swims for w/u
    5 x 100 FR on 1:30
    - 1:03 on the first, then held 1:12's DPS
    5 x 100 BK on 1:30
    - Toned down TG approach: 5 SDK's, max 9 strokes per length
    50 EZ and out
    (Solo/Rec/1650yds/35 min)
    --------------------------

I might suggest that they move the analog clock since the new lighting casts a glare on the bottom half of the clock. I also chatted with one of the age group coaches about splitting costs on a portable clock for the shallow end, we shall see.

Plan for the rest of the week? Hope to get up early and join the Tri Train before work Wednesday, then meet with GregJS for an OW adventure on Thursday, something on Friday, then Masters practice on Saturday!

Updated September 10th, 2012 at 10:47 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Monday, Sept 10 - Swimming is Better Than Driving

After swimming last Thursday, I left on a 17 hour drive to San Antonio. Got there for Dad's surgery on Friday morning. Things went well and he got out of ICU last night. I left Saturday night and got back home Sunday night.

So, while I stayed in bed 30 minutes longer than usual this morning, I did make it to the pool. That's a lot better than driving. Between the driving and the feel good foods - the hand made tamales, ice cream, and two big mexican meals, etc., I weighed 6 lbs more this morning than Thursday morning. Oh well, I'm back, I'm upright, and I'm swimming.

A good group was at the pool, but being a little late, I swam on my own. Didn't push speed as much as I did pace with less rest. So I actual swam similar yards, but in less time. And I felt pretty good about he workout.

10x100 Free on 1:30
    5x200 Free on 2:55 (took 5 seconds off normal interval - going to try this more)
    50/100/150/200/200/150/100/50 on :45 per 50 (not as big a hill as Thursday but still pretty good)
    200 Kick
    5x100 Back w/paddles on 1:35
    5x100 Back w/paddles on 1:40
    3x100 Free w/paddles on 1:30
    3x100 Back w/paddles on 1:30
    2x100 Free w/paddles on 1:30

No Fly so I have to work that back in - and eventually breast stroke if I can get my knee to cooperate.

5000 yards
    85 minutes
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Monday, Sept. 10

by , September 10th, 2012 at 04:44 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    10 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    -- 5 back, 5 belly
    50 EZ

Main Sets:

8 x 25 burst dolphin kick + cruise @ 1:00
    50 EZ

3 x through:
    1 x 25 dive from side, power kick to 15 + cruise 35 @ 1:30
    1 x 50 @ 100 pace @ 1:30
    1 x 50 EZ @ 1:30
    1 x 25 AFAP + 75 EZ @ 2:30

round 1 = fly w/fins (25, 11 flat)
    round 2 = 50 back w/fins (25) & 25 shooter, no fins (12)
    round 3 = 50 evil w/fins (30) & 25 no fins (16)

1 x 50 AFAP fly w/fins, 23 high, bad push off
    150 EZ

4 x 25 fast back w/fins @ 100 pace @ :30 (11 highs)
    100 EZ
    4 x 25 fast breast dolphin, no fins @ 100 pace @ :40 (16 high-17 low)
    100 EZ

8 x 25 w/parachute & fins @ 1:00
    -- 2 flutter kick w/board, 2 dolphin kick w/board, 2 evil pull, 2 free
    100 EZ

Total: 2800

ART, 30 min

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Did a slightly modified version of Workout #1 from my HIT forum. [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=21342"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]. Didn't have time for the entire workout. With the generous intervals, it takes awhile to do that sucker. I seemed to have good speed. Still tired from the early Sunday wake up though.

Glad I had an ART appt scheduled. He worked over my shoulders and elbows. He is going to attempt to get me into a PRP study. (One of the participating doctors is my own PRP guy.) My elbows are a good candidate, and I still feel like I need one more PRP treatment on my left shoulder. Fingers crossed.

I worked on the palms down recovery some more in breast. I like it. I haven't made a stroke change in a long time, but this one I'm endorsing. I also think it puts less torque on the elbow by keeping the hand position constant.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  4. Lake Hopatcong 2-mile swim

I had a really fun time at the Lake Hopatcong Open Water Festival yesterday. The 2-mile swim doubled as the USMS 2-mile OW championship, so I had been seeing the announcement for it on the left of my flog entry screen for the last few months. The lake is only an hour west of here, and many people had told me about how nice it was to swim there, so when it turned out that I had the weekend free I decided to sign up.

In contrast to Saturday’s storms, Sunday dawned gorgeous and sunny, with a hint of fall in the air. Kenn and I drove out from the city—gotta love Zipcars!—and arrived around 7am. The air temp was in the high-50s, making me glad I’d packed my swim parka. We were assured that the water was warm, though, and it was, around 75. After registering and getting marked I warmed up with almost a full loop of the one-mile course which we would circle twice. The water was flat and the buoys were easy to see. There were plentiful lake weeds that sometimes got stuck on my hands and arms for a stroke or two, but they seemed harmless. One thing I did notice was that the low sun was very glaring when coming back towards the start, so I switched to some mirrored goggles for the race. I’d been carrying a pair around in my bag all year, but this was the first time I felt like I needed them. Here’s to being prepared!

This race featured an in-water start and finish. We wore chips on our wrists, and at the finish were to swim to a low dock where a mat had been placed, and get our wrists close enough to it so that our chips would register. It was the first time I’d used this system, and it reminded me a bit of the open-water finish at the Olympics, where the swimmers got to smack an overhead board to register their finish. Cool!

We were instructed to line up by race number to receive our race briefing. This seemed like it was going to be a lot of time standing around in cold air in a wet suit, so I kept my parka and flipflops on, and was glad I did. Finally we headed down to the water. The 2-mile race was divided by speed into two waves of 50 swimmers each. I was in the first one, and was glad to finally get back into the water to await the start.

My goal in this race was to actually race others, not just be off in my own JanetWorld communing with the pretty water while the rest of the swim went on around me. I’d only done longer swims so far this year, and I was a little worried that my tactical skills weren’t up to snuff, and that my competitive instincts were a little rusty. But I was inspired by reading Patrick’s accounts of his races, in which he always seems to know who and where his competition is. I had looked at the start list before the swim, and noted that in my age group there were no superstars showing up for the event, just a bunch of us area swimmers who were of roughly similar ability. It seemed like a good opportunity to go for an age-group win, and also a chance to get back into competitive mode and really relish racing others.

The hardest part of that for me was the start—I’ve grown to dislike the contact and chaos of mass-open water starts. I really prefer to start far off to the side and build gently into my swims, when a better strategy would often call for going out hard in hopes of finding clearer water (unlikely, and probably unnecessary here where I was seeded around 20th out of just 50 in our wave), or at least some faster person to draft on. I did a pretty good job with my start on Saturday, nudging over towards the far left side of the imaginary starting line (which gave a slightly shorter route) to avoid too much crowdedness but taking it out at a decent clip. Instead of the dozen people that I generally pass back by after the first 100m of a race, I only passed a couple. And happily, one of them was Lynne, the woman I expected to be the toughest competition in my age group—we started near each other, and I had managed to keep an eye on her as we got underway. We ended up swimming side-by-side for a few hundred yards on the first leg, before I pulled ahead so we could go around the first buoy single file.

On the back half of the first loop, I managed to bridge up to the two swimmers ahead of me, and settled behind them for a bit to get some draft. Soon they started to separate, so I passed the woman I was immediately behind and got behind the guy in front of her, who had a notably robust kick. Unfortunately I wasn’t drafting as efficiently as I would have liked off him—I didn’t trust his sighting and set my own line, which put me behind him sometimes but off to the side at others. Still, he stayed ahead of me, and as we finished the first loop I rolled over on my back to confirm that Lynne and the other woman I had passed were still right behind me. They were.

I picked it up slightly going into the second lap and got a bit of separation from the folks behind me, but was still unable to get past the hard-kicking guy in front, and in any case there seem to be anyone close enough ahead of him to bridge up to. I had really gotten into whole racing thing by this point, and wanted to beat whomever I could. That meant staying ahead of the swimmers behind me, and saving up enough to outsprint them to the line if they tried to come around me, all while trying to find a way to pass they guy in front of me before the end of the race. I was feeling a little fatigued, but also very energized and excited—this was fun!

About midway through the last ½-mile leg of the swim the guy in front of me veered to the outside, I took a better line, and once he corrected course we ended up swimming alongside each other, and pushing each other to the finish. I was about at the limit of how fast I could swim without totally selling out, and we were still too far from the finish for that—my hope was to hang on beside him until we got within spitting distance of the dock, then put in a kamikaze sprint to the mat. Unfortunately for me he had other plans, ticking it up a notch with about 150y to go, and I just couldn’t keep pace. He went right by me, and I stayed on his feet the best I could, summoning up all the speed I had, and ended up finishing about a body length behind him. Right on my feet was Lynne—she had put in a good finishing kick too, trying to catch me. We all thanked each other for pushing us to swim our best, and lolled around in the shallow water for a while watching and cheering on others as they finished. That was nearly as fun as the racing!

Between the finish and the awards there was plenty of time to hang out, enjoy some hot chocolate, cheer on the participants in the other races (a 1-mile and ¼-mile were also offered), and watch the K-9 demonstration that had been arranged. (There was a charming doggy theme to the whole event—the t-shirts and medals featured a dog’s likeness, and chocolate paw-print lollipops were in the goody bags).

And when the awards came, it turned out that while Lynne and I had beaten all the other 45-49 women from our heat, we were both bested by Bridgette in wave 2. So I got second overall in the age groupl.* Despite not getting the win, I was very pleased with my swim. I felt I had done a good job racing, and was reassured that I haven’t lost my competitive spirit—or my ability to sight for myself--by doing so many long events. (I realized somewhere during the race that it was the first time all summer I hadn’t had a kayak or boat to guide my course).

*(But there’s a postscript: It turns out that there was a timing snafu with the second wave, and that some swimmers had too much time deducted. I think this was only discovered because Bridgette started her own watch and noted the discrepancy between her official time and what her own watch recorded. So now she, as race director, has the unenviable job of sorting through the results provided by the timing company and trying to fix them. Not sure if this will affect my placing—it sounds like it will take a while to sort it all out!)

Updated September 10th, 2012 at 05:34 PM by swimsuit addict

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -09/11/20122

by , September 10th, 2012 at 04:17 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY
    WARM UP:
    2 X 150 2:30
    3 X 100 1:40
    2 X 200 3:00
    3 X 100 1:30
    4 X 50 descend 1:00

1 X 200 kick + 100 swim

4 X {3 X 50 1:15
    Choice. Swim 2 fast/1 easy

16 X 25 :30
    Fast. #4-8-12-16 are easy

9 X 100 1:50
    Alternate: IM-stroke-free

5 X 250 pull 3:20

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

5150Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Monday, 9/10/12

by , September 10th, 2012 at 01:36 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    I swam inside today for the 1st time in 2 or 3 months. It is now getting too dark to see in the morning for outdoor pool workouts. If I swim at noon or in the evening I will be able to go outside for another 3 weeks then the outdoor pool will be closed for the year.

SCY, Solo

Warm up
    400 swim as 100 free/100 back...
    300 free pull with buoy, paddles and snorkel
    200 kick as 100 free/100 back
    100 scull

4 x 50: 1/1:00, 1/55, 1/50, 1/45
    - ave 37's on these

Main Set
    2 x 100/1:50 reverse IM – strong builds
    - around 1:35 on these
    1 x 200/3:30 smooth free
    - went 2:55
    4 x 25 kick/40 12.5 under – 12.5 above
    - SDK for underwater, flutter for surface, all on back

easy 50

2 x 100/1:55 reverse IM – strong builds - around 1:35 on these
    1 x 200/4:00 smooth back
    - went 3:20
    4 x 25 kick/50 12. under – 12.5 above
    - SDK for underwater, flutter for surface, all on back

easy 50

2 x 200 /4:00 may use fins
    - did these back, no fins
    -- #1 100-10sr-50-5sr-50 neg split
    - went 2:55 (1:30-:42-:43)
    -- #2 100-10sr-100 neg split
    - went 3:00 (1:30-1:30)
    1 x 100 as strong as possible - went 1:25

Cool Down
    200 easy free

Total: 3000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Monday September 10th - AM Swim

Santa Clara Swim Club Masters - LCM
    Gary coaching

Warm-up (1200)
    8 x 150 @ ?? odds free, evens 50 stroke + 50 drill + 50 free

Set I (700 / 1900)
    10 x 50 @ 1:15 kick, 1-3 25 dolphin + 25 flutter, 4-6 25 back + 25 flutter, 7-9 25 breast + 25 flutter, 10 AFAP choice (went breast)
    2 x 100 @ 1:45 easy

Set II (1600 / 3500)
    2 x
    * 2 x 50 @ 1:00
    * 1 x 50 @ :50
    * 1 x 50 @ :40
    * 2 x 100 @ 1:45 recovery
    * 4 x 50 @ :45
    * 2 x 100 @ 1:45 recovery

Set III (1100/ 4600)
    All pulling with buoy and agility paddles
    1 x 400 @ 6:00 strong
    1 x 200 @ 3:00 strong
    1 x 100 @ 1:45 recovery
    1 x 200 @ 3:00 strong
    1 x 100 @ 1:30 strong
    1 x 100 @ 1:45 recovery

** 4600 meters **

I didn't think I would be able to make the 50s on :40 but I surprised myself. My calves were threatening to cramp by half way through the main set so I used a pull buoy for some of it, which kept them from seizing up.

Pulling at 1:30 interval, especially at the end of workout, is right at my limit so "strong" meant "make the interval". Which I did, if just barely by the end.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Mon Sep 10th, 2012

by , September 10th, 2012 at 11:25 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Sep 8th, 2012

slept late, didn't set alarm, planned to wake at 5:30 to leave by 5:45 but woke around 6:08

Plan to lift today

Sat Sep 8th, 2012
    swam at Mabel Davis, LCM pool warm
    Whitney coached
    trained with Dakota, Ilse, Dick, Paul,
    arrived a little late. left early
    made 10 x 100 LCM on 1:20

Today Whitney coached
    UT Diving Well, bit warm
    7:30 - 8:00 dove in 7:00 ish
    swam with Mike & tyler
    beside Todd & Marcio, & Larry, Mary, Davo & Val

Warm up
    missed it

Main Set

missed 10 x 50 on :35 4 strong 1 easy

dove in on 10 x 100 on 1:20 started out in Larry's Lane then moved over with Mike & Tyler

4 x 25

5 x 200 on 2:20
    made it

4 x 25

assigned 3 rounds of
    swim with fins & or paddles
    50, 100, 150, 200 on 35 base
    I did not use any equiment
    did round 3 kick on 40

Might double today

Next Meet:

Not sure of the Name yet but it's
    http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...+Championships
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. 09.10.12 - Monday workout

by , September 10th, 2012 at 09:55 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Ray, Dave, Dave, John, Kyle, Leah and someone new (didn't really meet her). Didn't play any soccer this weekend. I miss it but I don't miss the stiffness and soreness on Monday mornings. Felt pretty strong today especially with a full day of rest.

SCY

400 Warm up

8 x 200 IM - 3:00 (#4 was pull)
    100 Easy
    I don't think I've ever done a set with this much IM. Held 2:50s. Took a break on #4 but I didn't really need it. Should have just done them all IM.

8 x 125 Up/Down Kick - 2:00 (:05) Base stroke was pull. Started 50 Kick/75 pull and finished the set alternating between 100 Kick/25 pull and 125 kick. Kick was mostly br.
    100 Easy

8 x 75 - 1:15 (Stroke/Kick/Stroke)
    50 Easy

10 x 50 fly kick

16 x 25 - :40
    * Down hard stroke IM Order
    * Back no breath (4 free, 4 fly)

500 Cruise

50 Cool down

(5300 Total)

Updated September 10th, 2012 at 11:51 AM by pmccoy

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Monday - Sept 10, 2012

by , September 10th, 2012 at 09:12 AM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    The air was so much cooler today, it was really nice - unfortunately, either they didn't run the aerators OR they turned on the heat? Hopefully not the heat - geez. So water was warmish - nice to get in, not so nice to swim hard in.

500 back/free
    500 Pull
    10 x 100 on 1:20 - doing much better on these than I have in months - consistently holding around 1:12/13 w/out a draft
    500 locomotive Kick
    100 easy
    400-300-200-100 DeMont
    4 x 25 sprint on :30
    100 easy
    2 x 300 P, descend (4:00 & 3:50)
    50 easy
    8 x 25, alt fly & free on :30
    100 easy
    Total: 4750 SCY

*So, I entered the Rowdy Gaines Classic (SCM) meet in October. Not quite sure why, I was really vascilating on what to do on Sunday - come home, or what - but ended up entering not only the 800 Free but also the 200 breast & 200 IM! What am I thinking? Guess I'd better start working on that dumb butterfly & get back to doing some pushups or something. Geez.
    **Started back playing tennis - so far I guess I have about 2 hours under my belt. Last Saturday we hit for 30 min - then the match this past Saturday we got skunked - happy to say it wasn't all my fault - even though I'm totally inconsistent after 4 years off. Will be playing (just for practice) tonight & hopefully one other time this week - with matches on Saturday mornings. Hopefully this will be a nice way to "cross train" for my swimming, as it certainly can involve a little bit of running bursts - especially during a nice rally, which I love. My achilles didn't hurt me at all! (Torn achilles 4 years ago is what took me OUT of tennis.)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. sprinting with the WOManatees

by , September 10th, 2012 at 07:37 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    My breast stroke which is slow is as fast as their free with fins. I think management has realized this will not work. Kathy the other faster swimmer just about blew up at them.

Since mondays workout was alot of 25's and 50's I just adjusted the intervals to keep ahead of them just starting up. Thier pattern is 100 free 100 breast 100 kick repeat.

500 free
    500 free kick w/zoomers

3 times thru:
    25 from dive power kick then cruise almost made 15 meters each time!
    50 at 100 pace. Went 36,36,35
    50 EZ
    25 AFAP went 17,17,16

150 EZ
    4x25 fly fast
    100 EZ
    4x25 back fast
    100 EZ
    4x25 breast fast this felt really good today
    100 EZ
    4x25 fly fast keep hips up. I think my arms coming around on fly chased them out of the lane YEAH!
    100 EZ

50 AFAP went 35
    150 EZ
    10x25 1-4 free w/paddles 5-6 breast 7-10 kick w/board
    250 EZ

Total 3100 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized