View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Speed work but I felt more like it was moderate

by , November 19th, 2012 at 08:29 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Just did not have the energy today but still gave what I had to the workout.

500 free
    500 kick w/zoomers every 3rd lap fast

8x25@1:00 burst & cruise odds fly evens free
    100 EZ

5x100@2:00 kick w/zoomers
    #1&3 as 25 fast + 75 EZ
    #2&4 as 50 fast + 50 EZ
    #5 EZ

6x(25 AFAP + 75 EZ free)@2:00 w/zoomers odds fly(16's) evens free(15's) for the 25 AFAP

2x(50 + 2x25 + 50) @1:00 per section
    1st 50 @200 pace(40's)
    1st 25 @100 pace(17's)
    2nd 25 AFAP(16's)
    2nd 50 EZ

300 EZ w/snorkle

Total 3000 yards
  2. 11.18.12 - NAC Sprinting Turkey Meet

by , November 18th, 2012 at 11:08 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    Did the NAC Sprinting Turkey Meet. Met Swimosaur and Wookie. Both great guys and awesome swimmers. Packed up all 4 kids and left at 6:45 AM with plenty of time to make it to Nashville by 8:00-8:15 AM, warm up and be ready to go. My youngest has food allergies so we had to got a little out of the way to Chic-fil-a because they don't put barley in their flower. Chic-fil-a was closed Sunday morning so we went to Hardee's instead. We got my youngest some hash browns because there's no flour in those right? My wife drove which was awesome except she didn't take the shortcut. No problem... lots of time and I'm relaxing instead of driving. Half way to Nashville we found out that the hash browns are indeed made from flour mixed with barley. My youngest throws up all over himself and his car seat. Fortunately it was contained in a small area. Got to a gas station and bought their last roll of paper towels for $4.25. There's something wrong about cleaning up vomit with paper towels that expensive. Got things cleaned up and back on the road. Now, I'm late. The 2000 yd warm up I was planning wasn't going to happen anymore.
    Got to the NAC about 8:45 AM. First event was at 9:25. Managed about 1100 yds of warm up.

The meet itself was great. Everything seemed to move on time. Facilities were great. Everyone was helpful getting me to the right place. Had lots of fun and look forward to doing it again even though I'm not a sprinter.

When the meet was over, we headed across the street to a replica of the Parthenon. I've been there before but it was new for the kids. I think they were impressed. Unfortunately, it was closed for the winter on Sundays and we couldn't see inside. So, we headed off looking for something else to do. We knew Opry Mills (pretty much just a big mall) would be open on Sunday and have food. They had food but not much else. Kids liked the Lego store. My wife did some very limited shopping. She probably deserved more time shopping since she dealt with the kids while I swam. On the way to Opry Mills, I saw something called the Adventure Science Center. There were cars parked outside so it looked to be open. We headed back that way to check it out. Turns out is was awesome! The kids were 100% engaged for 3 hours. Even better, through our membership with a science center back home, it was free. Little swimming, lots of family time... great day!

600 Warm-up
    5 x 100 - 1:30, Descend (1:15->1:04)

100 SCM free (Seed 1:02, Meet 1:04.51 [31.43 33.08])
    First of the Swimosaur v. McCoy battles. Alas, Swimosaur beat me on this one. I'll chalk it up to not enough warm-up but I'm going to have to pick up my game by more than a bad warm up if I'm going to out sprint Swimosaur.

100 Easy
    8 x 50 Hard Br/easy free

100 SCM Breaststroke (Seed 1:18, Meet 1:20.52 [39.08 41.44])
    I did 1:21.5 shaved and tapered at LC Nationals last year so this isn't too bad. I expected to be a little faster. I think I split the race ok. Just need to be faster.
    100 Easy

200 SCM Free (Seed 2:18, Meet 2:20.70)
    Round 2 of Swimosaur vs. McCoy. Swimosaur was next to me in Lane 5 where I could keep an eye on him this time . Here's the splits:

34.69 35.89 (1:10.58) 35.44 (1:46.02) 34.68 (2:20.70)
    34.00 35.91 (1:09.91) 36.13 (1:46.04) 35.65 (2:21.69)

My start and dive were really good but Swimosaur took off and left me on the first 50. Dave B does this to me all the time in practice. I didn't panic but I began matching his pace on the second 50. That's were I started having some trouble. I didn't warm up in the competition pool so I didn't get any good markings for turning at the bulkhead. So at both 75 meters and 125 meters, I ended up a stroke short and coasted into the wall . Definitely cost me some valuable time. Swimosaur seemed to be falling off the pace a little. When this happens (rarely) to Dave B, my instincts are to go before he gets a second wind. Seemed to work here. Swimosaur got a personal best. I got a little redemption from the 100 earlier. I negative split this race. Probably should have gone faster on the first 50 and held a more steady pace over the final 3.
    100 Easy

50 SCM Breaststroke (Seed 35.75, Meet 37.30)
    I went 37.04 at LCM Nationals last year. Dive and pull-out felt great. I wasn't at all comfortable with my stroke.

100 SCM Fly (Seed 1:18, Meet NS)
    They combined the women's and men's heats on this one and I just wasn't paying attention. By the time I figured it out, they were gone. I was pretty tired so it wasn't a big deal. But I came to swim, not watch.

25 SCM Breaststroke (Seed 17.30, Meet 17.06)
    The 25M swims were started from the bulkhead without blocks. It was different but I stayed with a track start. The br start was really good. Barely out touched the guy next to me.

25 SCM Fly (Seed 17.30, Meet 15.29)
    Faster than my seed time but I can't remember where I got the seed time from.

25 SCM Free (Seed 15.00, Meet 13.98)
    Had fun on all the 25s which is kind of weird since I'm not a sprinter. Seems that I did a much better job of guessing my 25 times than calculating my seeds for the other events.

200 Cool down

(425 SCM, 1800 SCY)
    Swim Workouts
  3. Sun, Nov. 18, 2012 USAS Meet Results - Cheney, WA

by , November 18th, 2012 at 11:07 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I headed over to Eastern Washington University in Cheney, WA (close to Spokane) for Day 3 of the meet this weekend. It's nice only doing 1 day of these things.

All I can say those kids are fast!!
    There were a couple guys out there that were just unstoppable. I was watching two of them in my 200 Fly heat as well...they were that far ahead!

Did the team warmup with them prior to my events:

600 Free
    3 x 200 "IMs" 25 Str/25 Free
    8 x 50 Choice @ 1:15 (50 EZ/50 Fast)
    2 x Dive 25s
    1650 Yards

1st event of the session was:

200 Fly - 2:10.15
    Not my greatest showing. I was stuck in the lane adjacent to the warmup tank, so I was bounced around (felt like it) a bit during the swim. I got stuck on the laneline on my final 25 coming out of the breakout as well. That part really sucked. Stopped my momentum coming off the wall.
    I ended up 3rd place in the race. 3rd, 4th, and 5th were within 0.5 seconds, so I won the touch at the finish. The Top 2 in the event were 1:54 & 1:58. Basically my best ever time from college wouldn't have won this heat!
    [nomedia=""]11-18-12 - 200 SCY Fly, Cheney, WA USAS - YouTube[/nomedia]

200 Back - 2:16.25
    Coach John wanted my to build my kick throughout the race, and put a little more SDK into my turns and streamlines. Accomplished both of those tasks, and while it wasn't my best performance in the race, it felt pretty good...and I almost ran down the guy next to me as well! 5th place in this one. Notice in the video that 1st place almost lapped me!!
    [nomedia=""]11-18-12 - 200 SCY Back, Cheney, WA - USAS - YouTube[/nomedia]

200 Free - 1:56.xx (didn't get official time)
    I just didn't have the easy speed to get out, but I was able to hang on to the race well, and between lanes 1, 2(me), and 3, we had a great race on the final 50. I ended up on the losing end of the 3-way battle, but it was very close.
    [nomedia=""]11-18-12 - 200 SCY Free, Cheney, WA - USAS - YouTube[/nomedia]

Updated November 18th, 2012 at 11:43 PM by jaadams1

Swim Workouts , Daily Practices , Meets
  4. SCM Meet Report, Sunday, Nov. 18

by , November 18th, 2012 at 06:54 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    The SCM Festival was festive! First off, I have to note that this may be the least rest I've ever had for a meet. I did a weight + sprint double on Tuesday and rested 3 days. My legs felt decidedly un-fresh. Plus, I swam all 5 events, no scratches, for the first time in years. I am extremely pleased with the results.

50 breast, 38.2

Fast start; good length UW. I had a bit of a glide into the turn which killed some momentum. But otherwise a solid swim for a fake evilstroker. This is the same time I did last year at BU fully tapered, though I've been training better this fall. Teen Fort, the family evilstroker, said my stroke was "ugly." Well, yes, I just power through it.

200 mixed medley relay (160-199), 2:03.5, 1st (split request for 50 back, 30.6)

I swam the backstroke leg on the relay and went 30.6. Coach Cheryl said I flat backed the start and I could feel that. And unaccustomed to SCM flags on backstroke, I had a slightly glidey turn and very glidey finish, should have taken an extra stroke. Teen Fort claimed I killed her "sexy relay start." I was expecting possibly a second slower, so was thrilled with this time! It's only .1 off my WR. Definitely faster than the 27.8 I swam at the Sprint Classic even with the glidey bits. I put in a split request, so if anything goes awry in Boston, I have a speedy time for the year. This was my best swim of the meet, for sure.

This same relay time was #1 in the nation last year, so I think we'll stack up fairly well. Legs hurting after ... Spending 3/4 of the race UW does take a toll.

100 breast, 1:24+

This is my virgin 100 breast in SCM. It only took me 8 years of masters swimming to make the attempt. I may not have except that I had a third SCM meet this year. The race seemed to go pretty well until the last half length when my body suddenly felt paralytic and I limped to the wall. Speedo could tell from the stands I had nuthin at the end. Still, I am super happy with this time; it would have been FINA TT last year. I honestly thought I'd go my entry time of 1:27 based on my 1:29 in long course. At this juncture, my body was thinking it might be done having swum the usual 3 events. But onward. I had a fairly decent break before the next relay and had a cup of coffee. Teen Fort has not yet learned the wonders of coffee. I'm predicting college will change that.

Mixed 200 free relay (160-199), 1:52+, 1st

Coach Cheryl had us swim fastest to slowest, telling Teen Fort (who was reluctantly anchoring) that she "had her reasons." Certainly, it's easier to swim with clear water. This turned out to be a great race. Speedo led off with a blazing 25.1 -- proving that his extended taper was spot on. Teen Fort had to hold off a fast closing speedy guy. I wasn't sure she could do it, but she claimed the win for us by less than .1. I shocked myself by splitting a 27.8 with an ultra flat splatty start. I took an extra breath on the first 25 and my legs felt tiiiired, though Speedo confirmed I was, in fact, kicking hard. I did peek at the wall this time and felt like I had a very good turn and breakout. Psyched to swim this event tapered! I might have two chances at NE Champs.

We should be in the mix on this relay too.

400 medley relay (160-199), 4:42, 1st

I'm not sure anyone was looking forward to this relay besides Teen Fort. Well, Speedo pretended to get fired up. I had guesttimated to Coach Cheryl a couple days ago that I would likely go a 1:13 split as the 5th event of the day. I took it out very cautiously, could not stay under as long as usual due to leg fatigue and clocked in at 1:12. It was just a workmanlike-workout effort. Teen Fort thought I was completely loafing. Ah, the conceit of youth. They don't understand the effect of 5 events on an unrested drop dead 50+ sprinter. Speedo had a blazing anchor leg (55) on the end, closely after having thrown down a 29 in the 50 back. It may have helped that the computers went completely on the fritz during the event preceeding the relay, causing a mini delay of meet.

Complete failure to warm down after this event.

All in all, it was an extremely good meet. My relay mates were awesome, I clocked some good times and had the requisite post meet beer and protein. It was fantastic to see our teammate Bob Hansen back in the pool competing. I am now really ready for a nap or vegetation. Legs are screaming, the couch is beckoning and I'm getting hungry again. I need to train hard next week, but tomorrow may have to be a recovery day in the pool.

The Little Devil Roddin, who swam a beautiful 100 IM himself, reminded me that I really need to swim the 100 IM more. Yes, I do.

Speedo went on a pub crawl Saturday and then swam lights out today. What does this say about beer and swimming?

Teen Fort had a very good meet, especially after being sick for a week. She smoked me in the evil events, so can continue to mock my stroke. She woke up 5 minutes before we left the house after I had been up an hour. How does one wake up in 5 minutes?!

Updated November 18th, 2012 at 10:27 PM by The Fortress

Masters Swim Meets / Events
  5. Turducken season approcheth!

A less determined swimmer would have given up as she waited, and waited, for the much delayed 1 train this morning. I was glad I persevered, because I eventually got up to Riverbank and was able to do this solo lcm IM workout in an uncrowded pool—I either had the VF lane to myself or shared it with just one other swimmer the entire time. Here’s what I did:

1000 lcm warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, 200 d/s)

4 x 150 k/s/k, reverse IM order [my legs were still very sore this morning from diving practice—this helped loosen them up a bit]

4x thru, with ST = IM order by rounds
    3 x 50 ST @ 1:10, desc. to goal 200 IM pace
    50 easy FR @ 1:00
    200 IM @ 3:45, faster each round [3:38, :32, :28, :24]

300 warmdown + play

My breaststroke today felt nice and smooth, but was in fact slow—I only got my fastest 50 down to :56, when I was aiming for a :49-:50. It makes me glad I signed up for a breaststroke clinic in a couple of weeks—today it was definitely the weakest link in my IM.
  6. More Kicking on a Saturday Morning

by , November 18th, 2012 at 10:28 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)

This was basically the same workout as I did last Saturday.

Warm up (1000)
    200 free – 200 back
    200 kick choice – 200 scull/pull by 25's - 200 IM drill

Main Set (1700)
    100 kick @ 90%/2:30 - on back went 1:41
    100 EZ Swim - all easy swims were DPS free at 14-15 SPL
    8 x 25 tempo dolphin kick on back/40 - ave :25
    100 EZ Swim
    100 kick with fins @ 90%/2:00 - on back went 1:10
    100 EZ swim
    8 x 25 dolphin kick w/board & snorkel/45 - ave 28
    100 EZ swim
    50 AFAP kick/1:30 - on back went :41
    100 EZ swim
    8 x 25 tempo flutter kick on back/40 - ave :27
    100 EZ swim
    50 AFAP kick/1:30 w/fins - on back went :31
    200 easy

Total: 2700 y
  7. Esprit de lane

Today I swam TNYA’s mid-day workout at John Jay College. It was a crowded pool—there were 7 in most lanes, including mine—but with considerate and mindful lanemates all things are possible. Mine kept me laughing in the intervals between swims as well—it was a reminder of why I really love swimming with this team.

Here’s what I did:

950 scy warmup: 300s, 7 x 50 kick @ :10 rest, 300 alt free/back by 50

12 x 25 @ :30: odds BK w/ 10 underwater kicks, evens FR

500 pull, with breathing pattern [I just did bilateral]

2x thru (First round = FR, 2nd round = BK on last 25 of single swims, then BK for all 4 50s)
    150 @ 2:30
    100 @ 1:40
    50 @ 1:10
    4 x 50 desc. @ 1:00 [31 on fastest FR, 35 on fastest BK]
    50 easy
    1:00 rest

Then we repeated all of the above from the 500 on, only skipping the last 150/100/50 on the last round because we were running out of time.

50 warmdown
  8. Might have spoke too soon

by , November 17th, 2012 at 06:54 PM (slick's shoulder surgery blog)
    Well yesterday I wrote about how the first day of PT wasn't so bad....and it wasn't, until the evening came around. After I had repeated my series of exercises two more times during the day (as directed), my arm was killing me by bed time. Last night I slept horribly, probably the worst night since the surgery actually. I kept waking up with sharp pains and had a hard time staying comfortable. I've been able to sleep in my bed but I build a 'pillow fort' every night which keeps me reclined at about 45 degrees. I took a pain pill before bed as I have been doing all this week, but it obviously couldn't keep me comfortable last night.

I missed a dose of ibuprofen yesterday too, so I'm sure that contributed a bit even with the addition of my new exercises. I know its definitely the external rotation that is causing the pain....and literally all I can do right now is get my arm/elbow in a neutral position....aka not any real external rotation at all! we go!!!
  9. the Y at 82 degrees....I am in shock

by , November 17th, 2012 at 06:33 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    The Y pool was great today. I was expecting the usual bath water but not so this time. So I actually got more of a workout than I expected.

500 free
    500 free kick w/zoomers every 3rd lap fast
    5x200@3:00 free w/paddles & bouy went 2:50, 2:45, 2:45, 2:43, 2:36
    8x25@1:00 shooters w/monofin
    8x25@1:00 fly w/monofin
    200 fly kick w/monofin
    2x200 free ez
    12x25 ez

Total 3300 yards
  10. There's a throw down!

by , November 17th, 2012 at 03:22 PM (Random Nonsense)
    GSP or Condit? I am a GSP fan, but I don't hate Condit.

Now that the throw down is out of the way, here is how the meet went.

My 400 free (1st event) started at 7:59 and I finished cooling down at 9:20 from my last event. All my racing was done in under 80 minutes. Very much something James would think is fun.

1st event 400 free, the gridge event
    - 4:58.15
    -- 1:10.68 (33.51, 37.17)
    -- 1:18.70 (37.99, 40.71)
    -- 1:17.35 (39.03, 38.32)
    -- 1:13.38 (37.18, 36.20)

I thought 10,12,12,12 was reasonable, but I also have know experience splitting a 400. There are 6 lanes and I am in lane 1, so there are 4 people faster than me in theory, two I know are fast and realistically much faster than me. At the 75-100 leg I see I am in the lead, by a lot, and all I can feel is prerace jitters, I have no idea how fast I am going from feel, so I dial it back. In reality, I was right on track. If I would have kept up the pace, I would have died at the end but had a much better swim, probably by several seconds.

-18.71 for the gridge, but worst swim of the meet, all on poor execution. I shouldn't let other swimmers influence my race, I know how much variety there is in my training, so expecting the fast guy to go fast is silly.

I have done a sub 5:00 swim from a push at Lifetime recently, which is the primary reason I am so disappointed in that swim. The feel the first race of a meet is so incredibly different than anything in practice...

50 free: 27.81

Happy with that. I didn't cool down, warm up, or have time to pee after the 400 free. Not the best time for me, but I am not in the condition I was last year, the 400 was maybe 10 minutes before and last year I had Jost to race.

200 free: 2:16.06
    - 1:05.77 (31.45, 34.37)
    - 1:10.29 (35.74, 34.55)

This was kinda different. Stephanie Stone was in the lane next to me and we knew each other from WCM intensive training camp that we did back in March. She said she wanted to break 2:13, and I was entered with a 2:13 mid. I told her that I was not in the condition I was in last November and after the 400 definitely wasn't going 2:13, but I was more than happy to go out in a 5 high 6 low, but she needed to know that at the 100 she would have to pull way ahead of me to meet her goal. She's a smart girl, so probably didn't trust me, but at the 100 she was about a stroke and a half infront of me, well withing meeting her goal, she just didn't quite have the back half some 30 minutes after her 400, to break 2:13. She was 2:14 mid. Still a blazing time, but she wasn't thrilled with it.

Happy with my time, slightly faster than I expected, didn't really swim my usual race and thinking about someone else's 200 for a change was a nice break. This was a really enjoyable swim for me.

100 Free: 1:00.96 (30.03)

This was fun. This is probably the first race that I can ever remember winning. Sadly, I remember not too long ago when this meet was bigger I probably would have won the second to last heat. Still fun!

I was in much better shape at this point in the meet than I expected and this was a solid time given the timeline of the meet. To break a minute at this meet, I would have to forgo everything but the 50 or actually become a much faster swimmer. The 100 free is just too late in this meet to have a good swim and still take part in the other events I enjoy.

Almost forgot, I got stuck in traffic and missed half of warm up (was on deck at 7:20 for a 7:00 warm up and 7:45 clear the pool) but the meet was so small I was in a lane with only Stephanie and Lynn (also from WCM training camp) during warm up who are both quick swimmers. One of the best warm up experiences I have had at a meet. This might have impacted the 400, but doubt it for the rest of the meet.

* I did the split breakdowns from the cumalitives in my head, so there are likely math errors.
  11. Thursday 11/15/12

Thursday 11/15

PM only SCY

600 swim
    400 pull w/ buoy only
    200 FL kick on back

10x50 @ 1:00
    #5, 7, 9, and 10 FAST

3 @ 2:20 FR drill
    3 @ 1:45 FR D1-3
    3 @ 2:20 I.M. drill
    3 @ 2:00 I.M. D1-3

300 EZ

Total: 3800
    Swim Workouts
  12. 11.17.12 - saturday workout

by , November 17th, 2012 at 12:44 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam with Dave, Dave, Dave, Bob and Mary. The goal of today was to warm up slowly, hit near race speed for parts of a few sets and take a long warm down. Felt good and I should be ready to race tomorrow.

Easy 400 IM warm up

100 kick no board/100 kick w/ board
    100 free
    200 IM
    300 free (negative split: 3:35)
    400 IM hard (5:30)

400 Pull (negative split: 4:30)
    4 x 100 free - 1:30 descend (1:15,1:10,1:07,1:04)
    300 Pull (tried neg split but got tired: 3:30)
    4 x 75 IM (easy fly, back; hard breast)
    200 Pull hard - 3:00 (2:10)
    4 x 50 free -:50 descend (:35->:30)
    100 Pull hard - 1:30 (1:01)
    4 x 25 -: 30 IM order

3 rounds of: (stroke = IM order by round)
    * 25 stroke - :30
    * 100 free - 1:30
    * 50 stroke - 1:00
    * 100 free - 1:30
    * 25 stroke - :30
    Took all of this easy

100 cool down

(5200 total)
    Swim Workouts
  13. Sat. Nov 17 - At the Nat with Brook

Swam with Dave B, Dave M, Peter, Bob and Mary. Did Brook's sets which is a lot like a hodge podge of swimming. My arms felt very tired but I kept up a pretty good pace. Glad tomorrow is rest.

4x100 Free
    300 Free
    2x100 Free
    400 Free (5:28)
    400 Free w/paddles (5:12)
    4x100 Free on 1:30 (1:15's)
    300 Free w/paddles (3:53)
    4x75 Back w/paddles
    200 Free w/paddles
    4x50 Free
    100 Free w/paddles
    4x25 Back
    3 Times through - 25/100/50/100/25 - stroke/free/stroke/free/stroke IM order I did fre e and back
    100 Back
    100 Free

4400 yards
    90 minutes
  14. Fri, Nov. 16, 2012 5:00-6:00pm at the Y

by , November 16th, 2012 at 10:52 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I figured that since there isn't any practice tonight or tomorrow morning with the meet going on, that I'd get in a short swim tonight at lap swim prior to my meet performances on Sunday.

Figured out a couple things tonight:
    1. I now like practicing in a group setting - Y lap swims are boring
    2. Solo workouts are too easy to back out of stuff when it gets tough, or you're tired.
    3. See #2 above
    4. Must eat better during the day
    5. I still can't seem to make myself get past 3000 on my own

300 Free
    200 Kick w/ board
    400 Free Pull
    100 Free

10 x 50 Kick w/ board @ 1:00 nothing stressful, just make 'em

Main Set: I got this idea from tjrpatt's blog the other day, though I shortened it in half 'cause I could.

6 x 200 Free @ 3:00 broken at the 100s as:
    • 100 @ 1:10/100 @ 1:50
    • 100 @ 1:20/100 @ 1:40
    • 100 @ 1:30/100 @ 1:30
    • 100 @ 1:40/100 @ 1:20
    • 100 @ 1:50/100 @ 1:10
    • 100 @ 2:00/100 @ 1:00
    I did a 1:05 on the initial 100 @ 1:10, then just cruised the rest of the set. The final 1:10 interval I did a 1:04, then did a 1:00 on the final 100 @ 1:00. It's a good set, though I'm sure much better with a group, and with the :05 interval changes as well for a good 2400 set.

200 EZ

2900 Yards

My muscles are sore from the week of swimming plus my work at work as well. It's just a regular old USAS meet this weekend, and I'll just give it my best. At least I'm doing fun events (fun for me). 200 Fly, 200 Back, 200 Free.
  15. Fri, Nov 16 - Friday Speed Day

Roger called it Freaky Friday and that's fairly accurate too. We worked on speed today. Didn't do as much yardage, but was still worn out.

Shared a lane with Keith and swam with Roger, Peter, Andrei, Meredith, Dave B., Dave M. and Danny.

100 Free
    6x50 on :50
    50 Challenge - 4x50 sprint w/12 second rest (2:55 - :36 = 2:19)
    100 Back
    12x25 on :40 hard no breathe (sort of)
    8x100 on 1:30 (1:15, :15, :15, :15, :16, :16, :17, :16)
    100 Back
    5x100 Back on 1:40 (1:29, :27, :28, :27, :29)
    16x50 IM Relay - swam 4 50 Back's
    40x25 Free Relay - Swam 10 25's
    200 Kick
    5x100 BAck w/paddles on 1:40
    200 Free
    100 Free
    200 Back w/paddles

4050 yards
    110 minutes
  16. Friday, 11/16/12

by , November 16th, 2012 at 07:48 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Warm up (1000)
    200 swim – 100 kick – 100 IM drill – 100 scull
    6 x 50 with paddles/1:00 alt. pull + kick by 25’s
    4 x 25/:45 burst and cruise IM Order

Main Set (800)
    1 x 200 Free/3:15 - 2:45
    2 x 100 Back/1:45 ds - 1:28, 1:26
    1 x 200 Free/3:15 build - 2:50
    3 x 50/1:10 25 breast with dolphin kick/25 free
    1 x 50 Free
    - was supposed to do 200 but shoulder started to hurt before I finished 1st 50 so I stopped this set and went on to next kick set

Kicks (800)
    16 x 50/1:15 every 4th fast
    - 1-8 were with board & snorkel, 9-16 on back. fast ones under 55, others 60±

50 easy swim for warm down

Total: 2650 yards
  17. Pain and PT, Round 3

by , November 16th, 2012 at 07:21 PM (slick's shoulder surgery blog)
    Had my first PT appointment today. I was nervous and took a pain pill beforehand because I had heard that PT could be super painful at the start. But luckily it was no big deal. Just got some basic assessments done, and was given a handful of very light and basic assisted movements to do, and we worked out my schedule for the next few weeks. Nothing was overly painful at all....if anything, most of the pain I felt was from general stiffness and not from the surgery itself. It felt good to stretch out a bit and get things moving. I basically have no ability to externally rotate at the moment, so thats the only movement that hurts, but its like a good hurt like you feel when you do a deep stretch. I am able to straighten out my elbow and move my arm up and out in front of me (assisted) with no problems. My neck area is still fairly stiff but I mainly blame that on having to sleep upright. Afterwards they iced me down and then sent me on my way. I was told that I would most likely feel 'bored' for the first 4-6 weeks, as I need to really restrict my movement even though I might feel that I'm able to handle certain things. Basically I'm just supposed to move enough so that things don't get too stiff, but otherwise I should be letting things heal and should be doing nothing more. Fair enough. I guess I realize now that I was ready to get the PT show on the road....but I'll still be in a holding pattern for a while yet.

Speaking of pain, it has been fairly manageable over the past few days. I honestly thought it would hurt a lot more than it has. Granted, I've got some pretty good pain medication to help me out. For the first two days I took the full allowed dosage, but since then I've scaled back to half and even quarter doses. I have also been taking ibuprofen as recommended and have been icing my shoulder like a mad woman, and I think that has helped a ton with the pain and swelling. At first it was tricky to get the medication timing down....they say you should "stay ahead of the pain" when using the medication and I totally understand that now. Problem is that it can be hard to even recognize that you are in pain. During the second day, I found myself getting super cranky and emotional, and I got overly frustrated with simple things. I started to head down the road of despair and no hope...and then my husband asked me if I had taken my pain meds that morning. I then realized that I had taken my ibuprofen that morning, but not my pain meds. I didn't feel like I was in any more physical pain, but it obviously had manifested itself in other ways. And so my lesson learned is that I need to just let myself feel comfortable this week, physically and emotionally....therefore I will not be slacking on the pain meds when needed!

I've also been relatively self-sufficient over the last few days, which has been somewhat surprising. First, I am lucky that this was my left shoulder and not my right, because that would have been a completely different game. But since I'm somewhat able to use my hand/wrist/elbow on my left arm, things haven't been too bad. I've actually been able to dress and feed myself without much assistance at all. Today I was *finally* allowed to shower and I was able to get my hair mostly washed all by myself! The only thing that I need consistent help with is putting my hair back in a ponytail, lol. Granted I have had practice with all this before. With my all my prior dislocations I guess I have a lot of experience operating in single-hand mode, so I already know all the tips tricks for everyday functionality

So today I showered, had my first PT appointment, took the dogs on a short walk (they are only chihuahuas, no risk of sudden pulling that could cause re-injury lol), and wrote this entry. Aaaaand I'm completely spent for the day lol.

Updated November 20th, 2012 at 03:25 PM by swimslick

18. It's On!, Friday, Nov. 16

by , November 16th, 2012 at 07:18 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)

600 various
    4 x 50 fly drill @ 1:10
    8 x 25 shooters @ :40
    5 x 50 burst + cruise @ 1:30
    50 EZ
    6 x 25
    odds = up tempo free @ :30
    evens = EZ @ :45
    50 EZ

Total: 1500

ART, 30 Min

I ended up taking yesterday off. Very busy at Lil Fort's school and then had a massage. Felt a bit sloggish today after massage + ART.

We have 3 relays for the Sprint & Relay Festival on Sunday: 200 mixed medley, 200 mixed free, and 400 mixed medley!! Teen Fort used all her persuasive wiles, aided by Coach Cheryl, to coax former All American Robert Hansen out of his 4 year retirement. Along with a self described overtapered Speedo, we should be pretty speedy in the 160-199 age group. Judging by the times Coach Cheryl entered us at, she thinks we're all in great condition and fully tapered. I also think it's fantastic that my team will have two 240-279 year old relays!

In light of this development, I am scratching the 100 fly. I would only have a nanosecond of rest and swimming it would suppress enjoyment of the "Festival." I prefer to be festive. I checked the NE Champs schedule and I can easily swim it on Saturday instead of 50 fly and have ample rest after my first 2 events. I asked Coach Charlie, the amazing meet director, to switch me to 50 breast. Haven't heard yet and he's very busy getting the relays entered. Either way is fine.

This could be the only chance that I have to swim relays with Teen Fort before she leaves for college. Between high school swimming and winter and spring rowing, she will be busy. I think our Zones meet will conflict with out of town regattas, though I'm not positive.

On anther note, I am deliriously happy to have dinner reservations for Thanksgiving. This is my least favorite holiday and the typical fare is just plain nasty.

Updated November 16th, 2012 at 07:29 PM by The Fortress

Swim Workouts
  19. Just a little workout

I swam at Riverbank this morning with a fun lane full of open-water swimmers—Rondi, John, Hannah, Mike, and Andrew were all there. I got there late after sleeping in a bit—diving practice in Queens until 10pm make Thursdays a late night for me—and missed the long set of the day, but was happy to join in for the last bit. Here’s what I did:

1000 lcm warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, 200d/s)

5 x 200 swim > kick pacman

200 warmdown

Nice to feel like part of the gang today!

Diving practice is still my weekly thrill, especially now that swimming at the beach is on hiatus for a bit. I’m still mostly working on getting the timing of my hurdle and jump off the board right, but am also doing various line-ups off the 1 and 3m boards, and forward tuck dives off the 1m. Fun stuff!
  20. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -11/19/20122

by , November 16th, 2012 at 05:05 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    3 X 100 1:40 1:30
    4 X 75 1:15 1:05
    4 X 50 1:00 1:00
    Two rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

4 X 100 kick 2:10
    6 X 50 kick 1:00
    1 X 100 swim

4 X 50-1 of each stroke- 1:00
    1 X 100 IM 1:45
    4 X 50-best stroke/no free- 1:00
    1 X 100-best stroke/no free- 2:00
    4 X 50 free :45
    1 X 100 -fast-

3 X 200 3:00
    1 X 200 fast 3:00
    3 X 100 1:30