View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. 11.18.12 - NAC Sprinting Turkey Meet

by , November 18th, 2012 at 10:08 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    Did the NAC Sprinting Turkey Meet. Met Swimosaur and Wookie. Both great guys and awesome swimmers. Packed up all 4 kids and left at 6:45 AM with plenty of time to make it to Nashville by 8:00-8:15 AM, warm up and be ready to go. My youngest has food allergies so we had to got a little out of the way to Chic-fil-a because they don't put barley in their flower. Chic-fil-a was closed Sunday morning so we went to Hardee's instead. We got my youngest some hash browns because there's no flour in those right? My wife drove which was awesome except she didn't take the shortcut. No problem... lots of time and I'm relaxing instead of driving. Half way to Nashville we found out that the hash browns are indeed made from flour mixed with barley. My youngest throws up all over himself and his car seat. Fortunately it was contained in a small area. Got to a gas station and bought their last roll of paper towels for $4.25. There's something wrong about cleaning up vomit with paper towels that expensive. Got things cleaned up and back on the road. Now, I'm late. The 2000 yd warm up I was planning wasn't going to happen anymore.
    Got to the NAC about 8:45 AM. First event was at 9:25. Managed about 1100 yds of warm up.

The meet itself was great. Everything seemed to move on time. Facilities were great. Everyone was helpful getting me to the right place. Had lots of fun and look forward to doing it again even though I'm not a sprinter.

When the meet was over, we headed across the street to a replica of the Parthenon. I've been there before but it was new for the kids. I think they were impressed. Unfortunately, it was closed for the winter on Sundays and we couldn't see inside. So, we headed off looking for something else to do. We knew Opry Mills (pretty much just a big mall) would be open on Sunday and have food. They had food but not much else. Kids liked the Lego store. My wife did some very limited shopping. She probably deserved more time shopping since she dealt with the kids while I swam. On the way to Opry Mills, I saw something called the Adventure Science Center. There were cars parked outside so it looked to be open. We headed back that way to check it out. Turns out is was awesome! The kids were 100% engaged for 3 hours. Even better, through our membership with a science center back home, it was free. Little swimming, lots of family time... great day!

SCY/SCM

600 Warm-up
    5 x 100 - 1:30, Descend (1:15->1:04)

100 SCM free (Seed 1:02, Meet 1:04.51 [31.43 33.08])
    First of the Swimosaur v. McCoy battles. Alas, Swimosaur beat me on this one. I'll chalk it up to not enough warm-up but I'm going to have to pick up my game by more than a bad warm up if I'm going to out sprint Swimosaur.

100 Easy
    8 x 50 Hard Br/easy free

100 SCM Breaststroke (Seed 1:18, Meet 1:20.52 [39.08 41.44])
    I did 1:21.5 shaved and tapered at LC Nationals last year so this isn't too bad. I expected to be a little faster. I think I split the race ok. Just need to be faster.
    100 Easy

200 SCM Free (Seed 2:18, Meet 2:20.70)
    Round 2 of Swimosaur vs. McCoy. Swimosaur was next to me in Lane 5 where I could keep an eye on him this time . Here's the splits:

Pmccoy
    34.69 35.89 (1:10.58) 35.44 (1:46.02) 34.68 (2:20.70)
    Swimosaur
    34.00 35.91 (1:09.91) 36.13 (1:46.04) 35.65 (2:21.69)

My start and dive were really good but Swimosaur took off and left me on the first 50. Dave B does this to me all the time in practice. I didn't panic but I began matching his pace on the second 50. That's were I started having some trouble. I didn't warm up in the competition pool so I didn't get any good markings for turning at the bulkhead. So at both 75 meters and 125 meters, I ended up a stroke short and coasted into the wall . Definitely cost me some valuable time. Swimosaur seemed to be falling off the pace a little. When this happens (rarely) to Dave B, my instincts are to go before he gets a second wind. Seemed to work here. Swimosaur got a personal best. I got a little redemption from the 100 earlier. I negative split this race. Probably should have gone faster on the first 50 and held a more steady pace over the final 3.
    100 Easy

50 SCM Breaststroke (Seed 35.75, Meet 37.30)
    I went 37.04 at LCM Nationals last year. Dive and pull-out felt great. I wasn't at all comfortable with my stroke.

100 SCM Fly (Seed 1:18, Meet NS)
    They combined the women's and men's heats on this one and I just wasn't paying attention. By the time I figured it out, they were gone. I was pretty tired so it wasn't a big deal. But I came to swim, not watch.

25 SCM Breaststroke (Seed 17.30, Meet 17.06)
    The 25M swims were started from the bulkhead without blocks. It was different but I stayed with a track start. The br start was really good. Barely out touched the guy next to me.

25 SCM Fly (Seed 17.30, Meet 15.29)
    Faster than my seed time but I can't remember where I got the seed time from.

25 SCM Free (Seed 15.00, Meet 13.98)
    Had fun on all the 25s which is kind of weird since I'm not a sprinter. Seems that I did a much better job of guessing my 25 times than calculating my seeds for the other events.

200 Cool down

(425 SCM, 1800 SCY)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Sun, Nov. 18, 2012 USAS Meet Results - Cheney, WA

by , November 18th, 2012 at 10:07 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I headed over to Eastern Washington University in Cheney, WA (close to Spokane) for Day 3 of the meet this weekend. It's nice only doing 1 day of these things.

All I can say is...man those kids are fast!!
    There were a couple guys out there that were just unstoppable. I was watching two of them in my 200 Fly heat as well...they were that far ahead!

Did the team warmup with them prior to my events:

600 Free
    3 x 200 "IMs" 25 Str/25 Free
    8 x 50 Choice @ 1:15 (50 EZ/50 Fast)
    2 x Dive 25s
    -----------------
    1650 Yards

1st event of the session was:

200 Fly - 2:10.15
    28.1/32.4/34.3/35.2
    Not my greatest showing. I was stuck in the lane adjacent to the warmup tank, so I was bounced around (felt like it) a bit during the swim. I got stuck on the laneline on my final 25 coming out of the breakout as well. That part really sucked. Stopped my momentum coming off the wall.
    I ended up 3rd place in the race. 3rd, 4th, and 5th were within 0.5 seconds, so I won the touch at the finish. The Top 2 in the event were 1:54 & 1:58. Basically my best ever time from college wouldn't have won this heat!
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSsj4dQSnnk"]11-18-12 - 200 SCY Fly, Cheney, WA USAS - YouTube[/nomedia]

200 Back - 2:16.25
    31.2/35.5/35.3/33.6
    Coach John wanted my to build my kick throughout the race, and put a little more SDK into my turns and streamlines. Accomplished both of those tasks, and while it wasn't my best performance in the race, it felt pretty good...and I almost ran down the guy next to me as well! 5th place in this one. Notice in the video that 1st place almost lapped me!!
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5BxzguaKPc"]11-18-12 - 200 SCY Back, Cheney, WA - USAS - YouTube[/nomedia]

200 Free - 1:56.xx (didn't get official time)
    27.1/29.5/30.2/29.2
    I just didn't have the easy speed to get out, but I was able to hang on to the race well, and between lanes 1, 2(me), and 3, we had a great race on the final 50. I ended up on the losing end of the 3-way battle, but it was very close.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Liv9RgKF0wU"]11-18-12 - 200 SCY Free, Cheney, WA - USAS - YouTube[/nomedia]

Updated November 18th, 2012 at 10:43 PM by jaadams1

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Daily Practices , Meets
  3. SCM Meet Report, Sunday, Nov. 18

by , November 18th, 2012 at 05:54 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    The SCM Festival was festive! First off, I have to note that this may be the least rest I've ever had for a meet. I did a weight + sprint double on Tuesday and rested 3 days. My legs felt decidedly un-fresh. Plus, I swam all 5 events, no scratches, for the first time in years. I am extremely pleased with the results.

50 breast, 38.2

Fast start; good length UW. I had a bit of a glide into the turn which killed some momentum. But otherwise a solid swim for a fake evilstroker. This is the same time I did last year at BU fully tapered, though I've been training better this fall. Teen Fort, the family evilstroker, said my stroke was "ugly." Well, yes, I just power through it.

200 mixed medley relay (160-199), 2:03.5, 1st (split request for 50 back, 30.6)

I swam the backstroke leg on the relay and went 30.6. Coach Cheryl said I flat backed the start and I could feel that. And unaccustomed to SCM flags on backstroke, I had a slightly glidey turn and very glidey finish, should have taken an extra stroke. Teen Fort claimed I killed her "sexy relay start." I was expecting possibly a second slower, so was thrilled with this time! It's only .1 off my WR. Definitely faster than the 27.8 I swam at the Sprint Classic even with the glidey bits. I put in a split request, so if anything goes awry in Boston, I have a speedy time for the year. This was my best swim of the meet, for sure.

This same relay time was #1 in the nation last year, so I think we'll stack up fairly well. Legs hurting after ... Spending 3/4 of the race UW does take a toll.

100 breast, 1:24+

This is my virgin 100 breast in SCM. It only took me 8 years of masters swimming to make the attempt. I may not have except that I had a third SCM meet this year. The race seemed to go pretty well until the last half length when my body suddenly felt paralytic and I limped to the wall. Speedo could tell from the stands I had nuthin at the end. Still, I am super happy with this time; it would have been FINA TT last year. I honestly thought I'd go my entry time of 1:27 based on my 1:29 in long course. At this juncture, my body was thinking it might be done having swum the usual 3 events. But onward. I had a fairly decent break before the next relay and had a cup of coffee. Teen Fort has not yet learned the wonders of coffee. I'm predicting college will change that.

Mixed 200 free relay (160-199), 1:52+, 1st

Coach Cheryl had us swim fastest to slowest, telling Teen Fort (who was reluctantly anchoring) that she "had her reasons." Certainly, it's easier to swim with clear water. This turned out to be a great race. Speedo led off with a blazing 25.1 -- proving that his extended taper was spot on. Teen Fort had to hold off a fast closing speedy guy. I wasn't sure she could do it, but she claimed the win for us by less than .1. I shocked myself by splitting a 27.8 with an ultra flat splatty start. I took an extra breath on the first 25 and my legs felt tiiiired, though Speedo confirmed I was, in fact, kicking hard. I did peek at the wall this time and felt like I had a very good turn and breakout. Psyched to swim this event tapered! I might have two chances at NE Champs.

We should be in the mix on this relay too.

400 medley relay (160-199), 4:42, 1st

I'm not sure anyone was looking forward to this relay besides Teen Fort. Well, Speedo pretended to get fired up. I had guesttimated to Coach Cheryl a couple days ago that I would likely go a 1:13 split as the 5th event of the day. I took it out very cautiously, could not stay under as long as usual due to leg fatigue and clocked in at 1:12. It was just a workmanlike-workout effort. Teen Fort thought I was completely loafing. Ah, the conceit of youth. They don't understand the effect of 5 events on an unrested drop dead 50+ sprinter. Speedo had a blazing anchor leg (55) on the end, closely after having thrown down a 29 in the 50 back. It may have helped that the computers went completely on the fritz during the event preceeding the relay, causing a mini delay of meet.

Complete failure to warm down after this event.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

All in all, it was an extremely good meet. My relay mates were awesome, I clocked some good times and had the requisite post meet beer and protein. It was fantastic to see our teammate Bob Hansen back in the pool competing. I am now really ready for a nap or vegetation. Legs are screaming, the couch is beckoning and I'm getting hungry again. I need to train hard next week, but tomorrow may have to be a recovery day in the pool.

The Little Devil Roddin, who swam a beautiful 100 IM himself, reminded me that I really need to swim the 100 IM more. Yes, I do.

Speedo went on a pub crawl Saturday and then swam lights out today. What does this say about beer and swimming?

Teen Fort had a very good meet, especially after being sick for a week. She smoked me in the evil events, so can continue to mock my stroke. She woke up 5 minutes before we left the house after I had been up an hour. How does one wake up in 5 minutes?!

Updated November 18th, 2012 at 09:27 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  4. More Kicking on a Saturday Morning

by , November 18th, 2012 at 09:28 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    11/17/12

SCY

This was basically the same workout as I did last Saturday.

Warm up (1000)
    200 free 200 back
    200 kick choice 200 scull/pull by 25's - 200 IM drill

Main Set (1700)
    100 kick @ 90%/2:30 - on back went 1:41
    100 EZ Swim - all easy swims were DPS free at 14-15 SPL
    8 x 25 tempo dolphin kick on back/40 - ave :25
    100 EZ Swim
    100 kick with fins @ 90%/2:00 - on back went 1:10
    100 EZ swim
    8 x 25 dolphin kick w/board & snorkel/45 - ave 28
    100 EZ swim