View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Lane by myself

Another practice with only six of us there. Good news was that we all got our own lanes. Pretty simple tonight.

10 min choice
    --Was talking to my coach and only got in 300

2 x 200 @ 3:00 w/paddles and over kick
    3 x 150 @ 2:15 build w/paddles and bouy
    4 x 100 @ 1:30 descend w/bouy
    2 x 50 @ 1:00 backstroke

20 x 100
    --Free @ 1:30, Non free @ 1:45
    1 free
    1 stroke,went bk
    2 free
    2 stroke, went 50bk/50br
    3 free
    3 stroke, went 25fl/50bk/25br
    4 free
    4 stroke, went IM

200 w/d

3750 scy

Short and simple tonight and kinda nice to have my own lane. We were suppose to hold are stroke together throughout the main set. I managed to do so and I felt powerful especially on the free swims.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Lane by myself

Another practice with only six of us there. Good news was that we all got our own lanes. Pretty simple tonight.

10 min choice
    --Was talking to my coach and only got in 300

2 x 200 @ 3:00 w/paddles and over kick
    3 x 150 @ 2:15 build w/paddles and bouy
    4 x 100 @ 1:30 descend w/bouy
    2 x 50 @ 1:00 backstroke

20 x 100
    --Free @ 1:30, Non free @ 1:45
    1 free
    1 stroke,went bk
    2 free
    2 stroke, went 50bk/50br
    3 free
    3 stroke, went 25fl/50bk/25br
    4 free
    4 stroke, went IM

200 w/d

3750 scy

Short and simple tonight and kinda nice to have my own lane. We were suppose to hold are stroke together throughout the main set. I managed to do so and I felt powerful especially on the free swims.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Wed., Nov. 14

by , November 14th, 2012 at 07:17 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various
    10 x 25 DPK back shooters w/fins @ :40
    50 EZ
    10 x 25 DPK belly shooters w/fins @ :40
    50 EZ
    4 x 100 drills @ 2:00
    50 EZ
    5 x 50 breast drill (1 pull, 1 dolphin, 1 ship kick)
    50 EZ
    5 x 50 free smooth
    50 EZ

Total: 2250

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just a super boring recovery workout. Gah, I really find these hard to get through. This feeling does not bode well for upcoming taper ...

Body feels fatigued from training. I hope a couple days rest will mean that I don't suck on Sunday. Teen Fort will be swimming too. She's most jazzed about relays, but we still need another fast dude besides Speedo for mixed relays. No psych sheet yet. But last I checked there were only 128 people entered with tomorrow as the deadline.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Wednesday, 11/14/12

by , November 14th, 2012 at 07:13 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY

Warm – up (1000)
    1 x 400 –swim choice
    4 x 100/20sr
    - odds: 25 scull/25 R arm/25 L arm/25 kick
    - evens: 50 drill/50 swim
    4 x 50/55 back, build

Main Set (1400)
    4 x 200/3:15, smooth light build wthin each and desc set
    - went 2:55-2:47-2:44-2:41
    6 x 100/1:45 back smooth, build
    - ave 1:30 on these (slowest 1:32, fastest 1:28)

Kick (600)
    1 x 600 continuous kick
    - 300 w/board and snorkel/300 on back in streamline. did this in 12:45

Warm down
    100 easy free

Total: 3100 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. The journey begins.....

by , November 14th, 2012 at 05:50 PM (slick's shoulder surgery blog)
    Day 3 post-surgery and I feel like some documentation is in order. Its easy to type at least, as long as I get my arm and wrist in the right position first. Just gonna let the thoughts unwind....

Arrived at the hospital at 6am on Monday. After paperwork and a bit of waiting, I was taken back at around 6:30. Got in my gown, peed in a cup, and was quizzed on my name, birth date, and procedure about a million times (left shoulder bankart repair). I have an HMO and was in a fairly new facility, and I must say I was quite impressed with all the technology, lol. Most of the nurses were wearing headsets to communicate and things appeared overwhelmingly coordinated. There was even an electronic 'status' board in the waiting room so my husband was able to stay informed the whole time. It was kinda hectic but at the same time I felt at ease. The anesthesiologist came in and gave me the run-down, followed by my ortho doc. Everyone was ready to go, and I was ready to get the show on the road.

First up was the IV. You might think this is silly but this is the WORST part for me. I haaaate needles and anything that has to do with acknowledging the fact that I have veins and blood moving around my body. Just typing that alone makes me *shudder*. Doesn't make me pass out or anything, but it sure gives me the heebie jeebies and I just hate it! Anyway, that went smoothly, so up next was setting up the nerve block. I got some anti-anxiety meds pumped into me straight away so this wasn't so bad either, lol. They give a nerve block in the general neck/shoulder/pectoral area so that less narcotic pain meds are needed right after the surgery, and it lasts about 12-14 hours. They used an ultrasound to look for the right spot in my neck area, and some electrical pulses were delivered which sent my muscles twitching. It was a strange feeling....but before I knew it it was over. I know lots of needles were involved in that procedure too...*shudder*...but thank gawd for the anti-anxiety meds!

Soon enough I was wheeled down the hallway and was in the operating room. Turns out one of the nurses had a kid on the swim team, so we chatted up a bit. She asked what my stroke was and I remember replying "I am a butterflyer, unfortunately" lol. The nerve block is supposed to set in within 15 minutes, but apparently it was taking a while for me. They kept asking me if I could feel/move my arm and I remember waving my arm around to demonstrate, lol. The surgeon came in and I remember hearing introductions and she starting briefing everyone on the procedure. I waved my arm around one last time before they put the mask on me, and that's the last I remember.....

.....as I started to come to I could feel the nurses moving my arm around. I still had a mask on and I just remember trying to take deep breaths. When they took the mask off, the first thing I asked for was some chapstick, lol. My shoulder felt cold, and I asked if there was ice on my arm. Sure enough, I had been hooked up to a cryotherapy ice box system which would come home with me. As soon as they sat me up I saw my husband on the other side of the room looking for me. He came over and I immediately asked "how many anchors??" lol. Turns out I only needed three - great news! Doc said the damage was fairly clean and minimal, and that she'd seen much worse from traumatic dislocation injuries. She also said that my shoulder is fairly loose in the first place and that there is a lot of room in my shoulder capsule....which is common for people who do their growing and developing as swimmers

After two cups of apple juice and a few packets of graham crackers I was ready to go home. Spent a total of 7.5 hours in the hospital, with the surgery taking just over two hours. I'm day 3 into my recovery journey now and I've already felt everything from complete confidence to total despair....but more on that later. Time for a sandwich and then a nap!

PS/FYI, I actually ended up typing this entry in bits and spurts, as my arm really started to feel the burn after not so long. Started off typing with both hands and am ending typing with one. Had to re-position several times and this entire entry was written over about two hours or so....phew! Was totally worth it though!

Updated November 20th, 2012 at 02:26 PM by swimslick

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Wednesday, November 14, 2012

by , November 14th, 2012 at 05:35 PM (I swim, therefore I am)
    SCY@FGCU Aquatic Center
    Air temp of 76, pool at 79, 100% water clarity.
    Cloudy skies with humidity at 60%

• Swam with Joel, my friend visiting from Ventura, CA, a professional beach lifeguard. We match up well doing different kinds of swimming in the same set. It is always fun and challenging when we swim together.

Focus - Freestyle, Backstroke,Pace

Warm up:
    1x2000 FR/BK S done as
    4(1x300 FR, 1x200 BK) Build effort 1-4
    200 EZ

*Set 1*
    10x100 FR S on 1:40 =< 5:30 500 pace
    • 1-3; 1:07, 1:06, 1:05
    • 4-7; 1:07, 1:05, 1:04, 1:05
    • 8-10; 1:06, 1:06, 1:05

200EZ

*Set 2*
    1x1000 FR/BK S, alt by 25, Broken as:
    4x150 on 2:15, 4x100 on 1:30, desc each 1-4
    • 150s; 1:48-1:41
    • 100s; 1:12-1:07

200EZ

*Set 3*
    3x400 Kick w/fins, Swim, rest 1 min each, as
    1 each: Fly, Back, Free (50K/f, 50S/f)
    Did the 400 free as 8x50 on 1:00 50K/f-50S/f
    • 50s S/f: 26, 26, 26, 25

Warm down: 200 EZ

Comments:

• I am continuing to make progress with the dryland program and higher intensity swimming with intervals. Still having some sore muscles, and tired legs, but there is enough energy to make a good effort each session.
    • Warmup - Working on the front end of freestyle, and alternating with backstroke.
    • Set 1 - Trying to swim a strong controlled pace with with consistent front end technique, effortless streamlining turns, and steady, smooth, but not hard kick.
    • Set 2 - More of free/back combination swimming.
    • Set 3 - Conditioning for fin swimming later in season in sprint sets.

Updated November 14th, 2012 at 09:04 PM by fdtotten

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Team hot or cold water....?

by , November 14th, 2012 at 03:09 PM (Colleen Conway's blog)
    SO the past three days, I have made my poor husband come to the Y pool with me, which has been insanely busy with highschool teams, the club team...(you pretty much have to go in the morning otherwise you end up sharing a lane of a 12 lane pool with three other people but he doesnt have that option). Since Hurricane Sandy he has been working 16 hour days putting peoples power back on, and the last thing he probably wanted to do was get in the pool when he only had a few hours to sleep, but bc I havent seen him much I gave him a puppy dog face and he came with and both times he thanked me lol. So because of the pool being so busy this time of year we had a choice of either sharing one lane in the cold pool or one lane in the hot pool, with other people. Its crazy. We spent two practices in the hot pool and it was pretty nice not to be freezing my butt of. These are the times when I wish I lived somewhere really warm like Florida or California, at least I can reminisce to college days when swimming in an outdoor sunny pool was how I spent a lunch. Getting out of bed is hard in these temps! Brrrr. But the question that really came to my mind, was which type of temperature is better for training over time? I would assume warm, because it loosens your muscles etc. but then again one gets really hot and constantly has to hydrate. Hmmm..... Not important, just made me think.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Parboiled

I swam at Riverbank this morning with Rondi and Hannah. The pool was uncrowded, but very warm. Here’s what I did:

1000 lcm warmup

200s set
    3 x 200 descend @ :10 rest
    100 kick
    2 x 200 steady pace @ :10 rest
    100 kick
    1 x 200 fast
    100 kick

I was thoroughly wilted by the end of this set, even though I took my cap off for the kicking. I decided that trying to swim hard in water that hot just wasn’t being any fun, so after a few aimless 100s to cool down I regrouped and did about 40 minutes of balance drills and play for the rest of the session.

(On a Goldilocks note: today's team email announced that one of TNYA's pools, at Baruch college, will be re-opening this week after having been damaged in the storm--but that the water temp there is currently 72! If only I could average out there and Riverbank I would be set . . .)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Feeling Stronger in the Water!!

by , November 14th, 2012 at 01:37 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Nice morning - not as cool as forcasted & no rain until after we got out of the pool!
    Missing Jennifer today, but it allowed me to work harder I think on the 12 x 100's - Terry put the Distance Free people into 2 lanes - which meant 2 moldy-oldies & 5 kids - I told the kids we needed a lane leader, so Hannah jumped in - but she goes about a 1:05 on all her 100's, so even going second I didn't get a draft! I was happy to see myself repeating 1:12's again - basically going first ahead of Sela & some kid that couldn't keep the interval. I'm feeling a lot stronger in the water this week - don't know if it's because my biorhythms are UP, or if its due to my finally getting payoff for all my hard work!! Yesterday on my fly, I was literally "flying" over the water - it felt so good!

600 Back/free
    4 x 200 P on 3:00
    8 x 50 K on 1:00
    100 EZ
    12 x 100 on 1:20
    100EZ
    8 x 25 (one drill, 2 4-cycle, one sprint) on :30
    100 EZ - kids got out here & the rest is a modified version of what he had the breast stroke lane doing
    200 Breast
    150 Breast/Free thingy
    300 Breast/Free thingy
    150 Breast/Free thingy*
    4 x 100 P on 1:30
    200 EZ
    Total: 4900

*just in case you're wondering what a thingy is (my own personal design) one stroke, one free, two stroke, one free, one stroke - and you choose your distance, thus on the 300 it is 50 breast, 50 free, 100 breast, 50 free, 50 breast. I like it, and it saves my shins on those long breast stroke sets. And my shoulders when I do it butterfly. We never do it backstroke, lol.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Gallbadder news! (or lack thereof)

by , November 14th, 2012 at 11:57 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Hello All!

This will be a lone post for awhile. I don't have much to report and who really cares about my daily belly button update (except chowsh!)

I had my gallbladder removed!!

On Halloween at 2:45pm as I was sitting in primo location in carpool line doing my black belt sudoku, I felt a pain in my diaphragm area. It very quickly got so bad I was nearly in shock! I was sweating profusely and my hands were curling up. I was almost blacking out from the pain. It was as bad as labor pains, except it never stopped and I certainly wasn't going to have a baby.

I managed to move the car and call my husband to come and get me and the kids. I unlocked the car doors in case I passed out, then I quickly ripped open the bag of Halloween candy and ate a Smarties, just in case it was my last! I was really pretty out of it as I was thinking, there's a pack of candy corn in my eye. I think I had falled over onto the bag of candy and yes, there was a packet of candy corn right there in my eye. This was no time for dignity. I didn't want bean sprouts to have been my last meal on earth.

We got to the emergency room at about 3:30 and they did an EKG and then ordered up the chest x-rays and a sonogram. The ER doctor got really interested when I said my sis had GB surgery; Maybe bad GBs are hereditary! Once the results came back, they said it was indeed my GB and the pains I had were classic GB case. So I got checked in that night and had the surgery the next day around noon. They do 4 incisions in your abdomen, with one of them thru your belly button. They also have to blow you up with gas I guess to have more room inside of you. So afterwards, your entire abdomen is just completely shocked.

It may be a relatively common procedure, but recovery is slow. They did just take out an organ! So I'll be out of the water for about a month but I'm actually looking forward to doing limited physical stuff for a change. I look at it as "active recovery" period, about a month or so! The belly button incision was quite annoying. At first you feel like your guts are going to spill out your belly button and you have to walk around with a pillow pressed against it. Luckily, we have an arsenal of choices, and an ugly doll works quite well. My daughter has like, 6, so I can color coordinate my ugly doll and sweat outfits. But now I am much better and just taking it easy. Time has really flown and it's already been nearly 2 weeks. I may even stay out of the water longer, not having any desire to use those core muscles right now!

It's not really the getting old factor, but just when your GB has hit the skids. In my case, I could eat food but the extreme pain was from not having the bile squirt out and thus it caused the organs to swell, press up against the nerves and the feeling was in the diaphragm area muscles. Wowie did it ever hurt!

On a positive note, everyone from the ER room to nurses and doctors were amazed at my low resting heart rate, which is just about at 50. When it would dip under 50, it would beep really loud, usually as I was just about to doze off and wake me up. I guess that is a warning for them to look in on me like my heart is stopping or something. So I’d wiggle my toes around to keep my heart rate at 50 and over so that stupid machine would shut up.

Timeline? I can do all the hard core exercises at week 4, and that is right after Thanksgiving. Now that I think about it, I may need to excersize off that holiday meal and leftovers! I do not plan on swimming any meets the rest of this year, so no SCM and no xmas relay fun meet. I will likely just go back into normal workout routine with all my usual bad habits in the new year. I think I will swim our Feb meet and the zone meet in Austin in April/May. I don't plan on going to nationals.

It is funny what a brush with death (or what you thought might be death) can do. Most people suddenly find the God of Exericse/Nutrition and start eating healthy and running a marathon or something like that. I am just the opposite. I have no competitive drive right now and no desire to get back to working out. I do enjoying spending lots of time in the ladies' locker room, drying my hair, and taking naps at the time of my workouts. I also was tentative with my nutritional intake at first, but now have gone back entirely to my old ways. So far, my body can handle all the foods it did before. This week, I feel strong enough and looking forward to Golden Corral on Friday. Since my belly button is back to an inny, I am really in the mood for a multi-plate meal.

I wish everyone a happy and healthy rest of 2012 and SCM season!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. 11.14.12 - Wednesday workout

by , November 14th, 2012 at 09:23 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Dave, Dave, Dave, Meredith, Roger, Aundrey, and various others. Back is improving but still sore. Doesn't seem to be a problem when swimming.

SCY

600 Warm up

200s until failure:
    150 IM Kick/50 IM - 3:15 / 50 Kick - 1:00
    100 IM Kick/100 IM - 3:10 / 50 Kick - 1:00
    50 IM Kick/150 IM - 3:05 / 50 Kick - 1:00
    200 IM - 3:00 / 50 Kick - 1:00
    200 IM - 2:55 / 50 Kick - 1:00
    200 IM - 2:50 / 50 Kick - 1:00
    200 IM - 2:45 / 50 Kick - 1:00
    200 IM - 2:40 / 50 Kick - 1:00 <- Didn't make it - switch to free
    200 Free - 2:35 / 50 Kick - 1:00
    200 Free - 2:30 / 50 Kick - 1:00
    200 Free - 2:25 / 1:00 Rest <- Drop the kick, make the free
    200 Free - 2:20 / 1:00 Rest
    200 Free - 2:15 <- Didn't make it - end set
    100 Easy
    This pretty much hurt. I was hoping I wouldn't make 2:45 on the IM but I came in at 2:40. Feels good to make it but I dreaded the 2:40 push off. Free wasn't too bad. I thought about paddles a couple times but didn't go there.

4 rounds of:
    * 25 Free - :40 (1 breath)
    * 25 Free - :40 (no breath)
    * 2 x 25 Stroke - :20

400 Timed Kick (Br - 6:10)

12 x 50 Swim/Kick - 1:00

100 Cool down

(5300 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Just one kick can....

by , November 14th, 2012 at 07:57 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    It is amazing how one kick can hurt so bad and the same movement can eventually loosen you up. This happened to me this morning.

During the main set I was getting started with my 50 free and dolphin kicked off the wall...then OH the Pain. My 50 free became 50 1 arm fly drill pushing thru the pain to get loose. I was going to kick free but decided I needed dolphin kick more at that point. I actually did an extra 50 kick just to loosen up more.

400 free
    4x50@1:00 25 drill +25 build
    4x50@1:00 IM order
    4x25@:45 kick descend 35, 33, 31, 30
    100 EZ

this set w/zoomers
    1x50@1:00 swim(did 1 arm fly)
    5x50@1:00 kick fly to loosen back (did extra was only supposed to be 4x50)
    2x50@1:00 free smooth
    3x50@1:00 streamline free kick
    3x50@1:00 free smooth
    2x50@1:00 streamline free kick
    4x50@1:00 free smooth
    1x50@1:00 streamline free kick

10x100 Free w/paddles #1-4@1:30, #5-7@1:25, #8-9@1:20 #10@1:15 held 1:23's on 1-7, went 1:18, 1:20, 1:22 for last 3 just did not have the umph today
    200 EZ

Total 3250 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Tues, Nov. 13, 2012 7:05-9:00pm

by , November 14th, 2012 at 12:59 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Warmup (got in a little late):

300 (of a 600)
    (25 Fly Drill/25 SDK on back/25 V-sit scull/25 Free)

16 x 25 SDK w/ fins underwater @ 1:00 (held :13s)
    (700/700)

16 x 50 Free Pull @ 1:10 Desc. 1-4
    (800/1500)

Main Set:

8 Rounds of:
    • 1 x 200 IM (build each 50) @ 3:40
    • 2 x 50 Free FAST @ 1:10
    • These hurt, I was just sore all over, probably from last night's intense workout...my shoulder's screaming at me a little too.
    • I avg'd 2:35s on the IM, and came down to 2:30 on the final 2 rounds
    • The 50s were blah, about :30-:31s
    200 EZ
    (2600/4100)

4 x 25 Choice ALL OUT @ 1:00
    Did Fly, Back, Free, Free

300 EZ and out

----------------------------
    4500 Yards