View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Workout 10/26/12:

by , October 26th, 2012 at 10:30 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 Fr/200 BK/200 IM drill

10 x 100 with snorkel
    - odds DPS FR on 1:20
    - evens kick on 1:50

5 x 200 on 3:00
    - 1-4: first 50 hard IMO
    - 5 = 200 IM drill

50 ez

10 x 50 Fr done as:
    1-4: Quarters Strong on :50 with snorkel
    5: AFAP with snorkel (28.4) on :60
    6-9: Quarters Strong on :50 (w/o)
    10: AFAP (26.8) on :60

50 ez
    4 x 25 FAST IMO on :30
    50 ez
    4 x 25 FAST on :30
    - odds: back with start
    - evens: DPS FR

250 loosen and out with snorkel
    (Solo/Rec/3700 yds/70 min)
    ----------------------------

Another good swim today with a mix of volume transitioning into higher intensity. Alternating swim and kick with the first pre-set is getting easier, and I will try to drop the kick time down next week. Using the snorkel does seem to allow for better leg positioning with the kick, which I can translate into my fast swims. I like that. I tried to descend those swims, and went 1:10,:08:08,:07,:06).

I was going to repeat my little IM set from a few weeks ago, but the lane got crowded and I skipped the fast 200 IM on #5. I was pretty fried by that one, anyway. On the Quarters Strong, I wanted to see what difference the fast 50 would show with and without the snorkel. About two seconds, which I attribute mostly to lackluster turns with the snorkel (since it flops about a bit). That last 50 is a great practice time for me, especially at the end of that set. Then I tired to bust out some fast stroke stuff before warmdown.

I have full weekend ahead. I am coaching the local group tomorrow morning and plan to swim myself at some point. Our town has lots of events, including high school fall sports playoff games, Fallapalooza downtown tomorrow (shouldn't snow this year), and Sunday I will be helping at the Wicked Creepy Cyclocross race (registration in the morning, then I will be dressed as a pumpkin during the costumed ride at noon. I was going to enter an actual race, but they all last at least 30 minutes and I'm not that keen on breaking my neck (yet).

Have a great weekend, and be prepared for Frankenstorm all my east coast friends.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. old habits die hard.

by , October 26th, 2012 at 08:14 PM (Colleen Conway's blog)
    Now that I am starting off fresh as a masters swimmer, I know I should be changing my training from what it was a long time ago, yes the crazy days of mega yardage, but for some reason it did work for me in the past, so I plan on using some of the crazy sets of the past occasionally maybe once a week or every other week, to build my endurance while I continue with speed work.

This set is one from a training trip to Ft Lauderdale. 14x 1,000s. On the training trip this set was done in a long course pool, so obviously that will be different than now in a SCY pool. It wasnt as boring as a 10,000 for time, because it was broken up. There is lots of IM, 10x 100s kick, 1000 IM by 250, 1000 swim, 5x 200s, 10x 100 stroke etc. I actually need to look in my old log book to see what it was. Im going to change it to 10x 1000s now.

What sparked this desire to kick my own butt? Lets just say I am a little bit competitive and it drives me nuttttttttttttttts when I'm working hard but someone kicks my a** because I'm not working as hard as I should be. LOL. So.

Because of Hurricane Sandy, I will have to do it tomorrow or wait, possible a week depending on what happens. My husband will have the privilege of watching our daughter, because this will obviously take a few hours. He works for the power company so he is actually on call, and will be working crazy overtime as of Sunday so I guess I will have to do this set tomorrow if at all, otherwise in a week. So I will see if I can do it tomorrow, but I'll have to use this new pool/gym I just joined because there is an age group meet the whole weekend at my other pool. The pool is ok, small but it is cloudy as heck I felt like I was open water swimming, before every turn I had to lift my head to make sure where I was. Doing 10x 1000s in a cloudy pool might be craziness, but at the same time its a quiet place with non-swimmers so it might be pleasant.

Tonight in that pool, because I did a lot of speedwork yesterday, I did 4x 500s mixed: 500 free (4th lap back), 500 pull w bouy, 500 breastroke (50 double kick drill, 50 swim), and 500 pull w/ bouy.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. A Brief Bio

by , October 26th, 2012 at 07:39 PM (I swim, therefore I am)
    Swimmer
    Swam competitively in High School-NJ 1971-75, then NCAA I-CA (2yrs) Waterpolo (3yrs). Unfortunately, I did not train year-round during the off season, summers and did not compete in AAU swimming. Participated in local USMS (PMS - SF Bay Area) SCY & LCM meets, OWS on & off from about 1981 to 1998.

While working abroad I swam laps in Shanghai, Shenzhen, and Singapore as available. After a job relocation to Evans, GA in 2008, I started lap swimming at the Augusta Aquatic Center, GA averaging 2-3K SCY/LCM as available 3-4 time weekly.

Another job relocation took my family to Fort Myers, FL June 2011 where I continued to swim laps at the Fort Myers Aquatic Center. Since February 2012, my primary daily training facility has been at FGCU (Florida Gulf Coast University) with LCM 6-8 months of the year.

Most of my swim sessions are solo with 1-3 sessions weekly or monthly supervised by Coach Chuck Slaght according to seasonal training cycles and competition schedule. Currently doing workouts towards 3-5K OWS events, and 1650/1500/800 and IMs at local USMS or Senior Games events.

Coaching and Teaching
    I was active in part-time coaching and teaching swimming over the years beginning in high school as Red Cross WSI Swim Instructor teaching and coaching at Summer Swim League clubs during my Jr/Sr years of HS and while attending the University of the Pacific in Stockton, CA near the SF Bay Area.

After college graduation with a BA degree in English & Communication, I was employed full time off an internship, and also assisted with part-time coaching of the University NCAA Div I Men's & Women's swimming teams, along with Men's Waterpolo. Next came Age Group and Assistant Senior USS swim club coaching positions along with ASCA membership, courses and certifications. Different jobs and locations led to part-time head coaching positions with High School Swimming/Water Polo and USMS teams in the Bay Area and San Francisco. Soon after relocating to San Francisco, I was selected as part of the staff that founded the University of San Francisco USMS swimming program at the Koret Center.

From USF I went on to assist The Olympic Club athletic department with TOC competitive aquatics programs including Masters Swimming, Open Water Swimming, Water Polo, and a lap swim fitness program called Spin and Swim, along with events such as The Olympic Club Mile, and the Trans Tahoe Relay Swim. Due to evolving family and career choices, I choose not to continue part-time aquatic teaching or coaching to simply be a lap swimmer. When we returned to the USA from living and working overseas, I also eventually returned to participating in USMS upon becoming 55.

Updated July 1st, 2014 at 10:17 PM by fdtotten

Categories
    About Me
  4. FRiday, Oct 26 - Speed Work Out

I haven't done many workouts truly focused o speed; but, I did one today. Swam with Keith, Peter, Dave B, Dave M, Danny, Chris, and Meredith.

Didn't do as many yards; but swam hard and we did some sprint relays. I probably need more of this to improve my speed.

3x100 on 1:30
    6x50 on :50
    4x50 sprint with 15 seconds rest (time 3:02 less 45 seconds - 2:17 for 200)
    5x200 on 3:00 (swam 2:35, 2:37; 2:37; 2:38; 2:35) - probably my best 200 set
    100 Back
    10x100 Free on 1:30 (started at 1:16and trended down - 1:17, 1:17, 1:18 - last 2 were 1:25) - was pretty tired at this point
    50 Back
    4x50 Relay Sprint - we split into teams of 3 and did 12 50's (4 each)
    50 Kick
    6x50 Relay Sprint - we split into 2 teams of 4 and went kick, pull, back, swim, swim, swim

3600 yards
    85 minutes
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Friday, October 25, 2012

by , October 26th, 2012 at 06:05 PM (I swim, therefore I am)
    SCY @FGCU Aquatic Center
    Air temp of 79, pool at 78, 100% water clarity.
    Cloudy dark gray possible rainy skies with humidity at 70%

Freestyle
    Focus - Stroke Technique

*Warm up*
    1x400 FR Drills

*Set 1*
    1x2000 FR
    Swam 5 rounds of:
    • 200 EZ legs, smooth pull
    • 200 moderate 4k, stronger pull

*Set 2*
    200 BR Kick with Snorkel
    200 BR 50 K/bk, 50 Swim

*Set 3*
    4x500 FR on 1min rest or HR=>11/6
    Swam each as:
    • 400 EZ legs, strong pull
    • 100 steady 4-6k, firm controlled pull

*Set 4*
    1x1000 FR w/paddles
    Swam 5 rounds of:
    • 150 EZ legs, strong pull
    • 50 steady 4-6k, firm controlled pull

Warm down: 100 EZ

Comments:
    • Today is the best day of this week because my wife returns from two week business trip to Shanghai, China - we get to pick her up at RSW airport tonight. Hurray!
    • Before getting in the water, I had planned to do some basic early season intervals: 400 cruise on 5min, 4x50s on :45 @33-34 pace, 2x100 on 1:30 @ 1:07-08 pace, 1x200 on 3:00 @ 2:16-18 pace, perhaps 3-4 rounds continuous.
    • During the warmup - I felt like trash. The week of swim workouts along with wk #1 of weights & core work at night had taken more of a toll than expected. I will have to work up to it again, like I did last spring. Really - what was I thinking...
    • Set 1: A basic cruise doing the best form and technique possible in a tired state. My coach said it would be good for me, so I did it.
    • Set 2: A break from Freestyle
    • Set 3: A broken version of Set 1, but to make sure there was sufficient recovery for maximum stroke focus.
    • Set 4: This was actually fun. I like swimming with paddles (medium size, just slightly larger than hands) because it helps my feel of the water, reinforces stroke technique, and it is always good to swim faster, even with a little help.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Friday, Oct. 26

by , October 26th, 2012 at 03:18 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/w/Speedo:

600 various
    8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    5 x 50 fly drills @ something
    4 x 25 burst + cruise
    200 social kick
    50 EZ

Total: 1400

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Met up with Pete for a pre-meet swim. I didn't feel as good as yesterday. I need to be less lazy and do some stretching. The trash talking has already started in my house. And according to the psycho sheet, I have some good races at the meet. I am going to decide which event to scratch (100 breast or 50 back) after I swim the 50 free. 3 events before the Battle of the Drop Dead Sprinters is all I can manage. And I need to print out a split request form. Teen Fort asked me if you were allowed to scratch events in masters. I smiled and told her I do that practically every meet!

Exercise protects against brain shrinkage:
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/1...well&seid=auto

Updated October 26th, 2012 at 05:42 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Friday, 10/26/12

by , October 26th, 2012 at 01:12 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY

Warm up: (1200)
    200 swim - 200 kick - 200 drill - 200 scull/pull by 50's
    2 x 100/1:40 build - free, around 1:25

4 x 50's/1:00
    -- #1 = burst 1st 12.5 + 37.5 cruise
    -- #2 = 12.5 EZ + 12.5 fast + 25 ez
    -- #3 = 25 EZ + 12.5 fast + 12.5 ez
    -- #4 = 37.5 EZ + 12.5 fast finish
    - all free, around 40

Main Set: (1000)
    20 x 50/1:00 Alternate 50 smooth - 50 (25 strong - 25 fast)
    - all free, ave 42 on smooth ones, strong/fast ones were mostly 34 with #1&3 at 35 and #2 at 36

Back Drill/Pulls (400)
    2 x the following set:
    25 L arm scull
    25 R arm scull
    25 L arm swim
    25 R arm swim
    100 pull w/bouy

Warm down
    200 smooth

Total: 2800 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. 10.26.12 - Friday workout

by , October 26th, 2012 at 01:07 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Roger, Dave, Dave, Dave, Chris, Meredith and Danny. Not much distance today but some good quality sets near race pace. My GTD stats are going to take a hit from low yardage today and the Nat being closed tomorrow. I'll have to catch up next week I guess.

SCY

600 Warm up

Challenge set
    6 x 50 - :50
    2:00 Break
    200 Free broken by 50s w/ :15s rest in between 50s
    Made 1:59. No missed turns this time but I was fading on the last 50. Splits were :30, :29, :29, :31.
    50 Easy

5 x 200 - 2:30, convert free to pull
    100 Easy
    Made all but the second (150 free, 50 Pull) on 2:20 or faster. On the second one, the 50 pull wasn't worth having to stop and put my paddles on. Made the last on 2:10.

10 x 100 - 1:30
    * Odds IM (1:15-1:20, most around 1:16)
    * Evens free (1:07-1:09, last one 1:05)
    25 Easy

Relays
    Started with 3 three team relays. We did a 3 x 200 relay broken into 50s. Made 6:00. I don't know what my splits were but I'm pretty sure I was around :26 to :27. After that, we did 2 four team relays (Keith had to leave). This one was more complicated. We started with 200 kick broken into 50s. The catch was that we had to tag off by handing our board to the next person in the relay. Continued directly into 200 pull. Same thing with some really awkward buoy transfers. Then we each did 200 backstroke. That was followed by each of us doing 3 rounds of our strongest (kick, pull, free or back). Each team member had to pick one... no duplicating what someone else was doing. I took the kick leg. Ended up racing against a teenage fly kicker. My breaststroke kick is pretty strong but this was no contest. I mostly saw fly wake.

225 Cool down

(4000 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. 3000 Yard Swim--Some Thoughts

I finished my 3000 yd swim last night with a time of 55:47:44, not exactly world-beater time, but pretty significant for me.

Last year, I wasn't able to do the 3000 yd swim due to an injured left arm. I lost my balance going down a flight of stairs (one of my feet folded under me and I started to pitch forward) and had to hang on to the railing for dear life with my left hand while I righted myself. The result was a torn biceps muscle and a strained tendon that took the better part of four months of rest and PT to heal completely. I was able to do the hour swim in January, completing 3150 yards, which I felt was pretty good, all things considered.

But this year, I wanted to do more. My best result in the hour swim was 3220 yards, from 2010. My swimming has improved a lot since then, and it's frustraing that my results in the 2011 and 2012 hour swims didn't show it. This past year, once the left arm healed, I've noticed a definite improvement all the way around--not one huge breakthrough, but definitely improvements in all aspects of my swimming. My strokes feel cleaner and more efficient; I'm swimming further and faster with less effort; I've mastered butterfly well enough to cobble together a decent 100 IM. My flip turns are still touch and go (due in large part to sinus issues that cause a lot of disorientation when I somersault), but I've worked on tightening up my open turns. My feeling there is that if I'm going to get an extra breath at the wall, I damn well should be able to not breathe from the flags to the wall and from the wall to the flags. I've been working on a strong push-off, good streamlining (or as much streamlining as my tight desk-worker's shoulders will allow), at least 3 SDKs, and not breathing at least until the second or third stroke.

My standard interval on 100 yds of freestyle has been streadily dropping. It was about 1:55-ish when I first began master's swimming in the fall of 2007. At that point, I'd been lap swimming on my own for 20 years, and my technique was **horrible**. It's better now, somewhat, but back then it was really, really bad, and my coach has spent the past 5 years trying to help me undo my bad habits. The work has paid off: my SI dropped from 1:55 to 1:50 to 1:45, and in most classes now, I can hold a 1:40 pace pretty consistently. So my technique is better and my endurnace is better, too (I really feel like learning fly and doing IM sets has helped with the endurance).

So last night, it was incredibly gratifying to finally see some results in a long swim: not only did I beat my 2010 3000 yd swim time by a full minute, I also set a new personal best 3000 yd time (previous best was a 56:02 that I clocked during my hour swim in 2010)--by about 15 seconds.

I've discovered that there are other things I need to do to get ready for a long swim. I've learned these things over time via haphazard trial and error, but they do make a big difference. Namely:

1. Rest. This seems to be more important than anything. I typically have a looong day (2 hour commute, 8 hour workday, 2 hour commute), so taking a day off for the long swim means I'm fully rested, I've had enough sleep, I'm not dealing with job and commute-related stress. I usually try to complete the hour swim on MLK Day. Yesterday I had the day off for a medical appointment. Also, I find it helps not to do any kind of workout in the 24 hours before the swim--no weights, no swimming, nothing more strenuous than a 40-minute walk. The day of the swim, I try to stay off my feet as much as possible.

2. Eat enough, but not too much. In the past, I've eaten too much before the long swim, or eaten too close to the swim. I've learned that a small meal (one piece of baked chicken, about half a cup of pasta), about two hours before the swim, seems to be optimal. Also, I've found it helps to skip vegetables entirely the day of the swim, in order to avoid painful abdominal gas.

3. Hydrate. Yesterday, I kept drinking water, stopping about 45 minutes before the swim, limiting water intake to a few sips during the warmup to keep my mouth and throat wet. I brought Gatorade with me to drink AFTER the swim--it seems to coat my throat and make my mouth feel even more dry. This worked out incredibly well: I had much less of a problem with a dry, scratchy throat during the swim, but I also didn't spend the last 15 minutes of the swim desperately needing to pee.

4. Stretch. Before I left the house, I did some back/hip stretches recommended by my physical therapist. When I got to the pool, I ran through some of the shoulder stretches recommended for swimmers, and I stretched my hamstrings/ calves against the side of the pool. This made a HUGE difference in terms of not cramping up during the swim or swimming the last 15 minutes with my back killing me. I did have some issues midway through the swim with minor heart palpitations and near the end, some foot/calf cramps, but I was able to work through both problems and they didn't impact my time. Both are signs that I need more potassium, so I have a mental note to take an extra potassium supplement before the hour swim in January.

And last but not least

5. Count laps. This helps keep my mind focused and (as my coach says) keeps me from drifting out into la-la land. I think of the 3000 yd swim as a 6 x 500, so I count down from ten to one, six times. I must've gotten off count somewhere in there, because my timer yelled to me that I had 100 yds left when I thought I had more like 200 left (let me tell you, that was **awesome**).

I also found it incredibly useful to practice with some long sets, so in the last couple of months, I've been doing things like 4 x 500 with a minute of rest between each 500. Last weekend, I did 3 x 1000 in my Sunday workout. This gets me in the habit of counting laps, and more importantly, of swimming through discomfort--so that when I'm doing the actual event, I'm better able to deal with my dry mouth and throat, my tired arms and shoulders, my cramping feet, and the need to use the bathroom.

Hour swim, here I come!

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. FAST FRIED FRIDAY Oct 26th, 2012

by , October 26th, 2012 at 10:29 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Fri Oct 26th, 2012

SCM meet is in 35 days, 5 weeks

Yesterday I came back at noon, decided to rest more before my fast 2 & 1 free
    went 1:57 & 54
    Last night I went to see Madonna in Houston, 160 miles from my home, I was warned the concert start time says 8:00, she took the stage at 10:45 and a DJ played before that.
    It was a quite spectacle, the most elaborate stage set up I've ever seen, everything choreographed, pretty sure she lip synched or was autotuned, but it was very entertaining and she is a remarkably fit 53 year old woman.
    We found her set list online and decided to leave with a few songs left so we wouldn't get stuck in the parking garage which might have added 45 min to an hour more to our travel time. We left around 12:40 and didn't get home till 3:00 am, I slept a little then I woke up at 5:00 am to make todays 6:00 am fast friday practice. So I'm a bit fried and sleep deprived.

also this morning I drove in on an alternate route, a new section of toll road 130 just opened near my home so I decided to try it while it's free till Nov 11th. 130 is making national news because there's stretches of it where the posted legal speed limit is 85. it's longer and wasn't faster than my usual way but its the fastest way for me to get to the airport or to by pass austin during high traffic hours when I'm headed north or stay off IH 35 when I'm headed south to san antonio. Plus it's just different and kinda fun to legally drive 85.

Whitney coached
    SCY UT Swim Center main pool,
    Pool was set up with both bulkheads down and in the middle which means, 2 eight lane short course pools. We swam in the north end
    6:00 7:30
    Swam with Mike, Jim, Marcio, & Chris
    Beside Keith, Chris, Jeff Larry & Brad Baily made his 2nd appearance this week.

Warm up
    assigned 1000
    did 800 ish

Main Set

500 for time
    went 5:23, swam with marcio while jim and chris swam in the next heat

500 easy

200 IM for time
    went 2:10
    Chris did a 2 fr in 1:47
    Marcio did a 2 FL in 1:59

500 easy

100 IM for time
    went 58

500 easy

50 bk
    went 26
    my SDKs aren't feeling too snappy yet and I gotta continue with speed and strength training.
    Next Meets:

Sat Dec 1, 2012 - Sun Dec 2nd

2012 South Central SCM Reg Championships
    DAYS TILL

2013 South Central SCY Zone Championships
    Fri Apr 5 - Sun Apr 7 (Tentative)
    UT Austin, TX
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -10/29/20122

by , October 26th, 2012 at 09:52 AM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    We will be hosting our annual SCM met in two weeks. Our yardage will drop along with bringing in some meet preparation.

SCY
    WARM UP:
    2 X 150 2:30 2:15
    4 X 100 1:40 1:30
    Two rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

1 X 200 kick + 100 swim

4 X 25 build to fast :40
    1 X 50 @ 100% 1:20
    1 X 100 easy 2:00
    Four rounds, choice.

8 X 50 kick 1:10
    1 X 100 swim

8 X 25
    odd: build to race finish
    even: blocks, sprint 25
    1 X 100 easy

10 X 50 free
    5 on :40
    5 on :35

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4200Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. DOMS has finally set in to my legs so what do I do?

by , October 26th, 2012 at 08:07 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Swim Breaststroke! Yes I guess I am crazy doing something that is equally as painful as the DOMS my legs are experiencing.

500 free
    400 free pull w/paddles & bouy
    300 free
    200 kick
    100 free

10x50@1:15 breast pull w/zoomers
    200 breast kick
    4x50@:10RI breast accordian drill
    2x50@:15RI breast
    100 EZ

Total 2600 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Thursday, 10/25/12

by , October 26th, 2012 at 12:53 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY

Warm up (750)
    100 free - 75 back - 100 free
    50 brst - 100 free - 25 fly - 100 free
    Kick 200 - reverse IM

Set #1 (450)
    9 x 50 - 3/55, 3/50, 3/45
    - ave 38-40 on these

Set #2 Pull (600)
    6 x 100 w/paddles & buoy build: 3 free/1:30, 3 back/1:50

Set #3 with Fins (300)
    12 x 25/45-1:00 shooters
    - 1-4, 9-12 back-L side-front-R side by 25's
    - 5-8 360 spin, 4-6 kicks each 1/4

Set #4 Kick (400)
    8 x 50/1:20 strong Alternate:50 dolphin, 50 flutter
    - 1-4 w/board & snorkel, 5-8 on back

Finish Drills Set (200)
    8 x 25/45 - Reverse IM
    Free - High Hands Swims - Fast
    Back - Fast with strong kickouts
    Brst - Tempo, tempo, tempo
    Fly - Fast with strong kickouts and breath control

Warm down
    100 easy free

Total: 2800 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Thurs, Oct. 25, 2012 7:00-9:00 Test Set Thursday

by , October 26th, 2012 at 12:51 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Gotta love these days (or not).

The anxiety building up inside wondering in which way the coach is going to kill us today. We always have 2 test sets, a swim one, and a kick one. They are paired up to always be the same, but some are swim set first, then kick set, others the opposite. IM, Free, Stroke sets are all out there.

It's really up to the rotation the coach has set up, and because we have quite a few sets to choose from, it's anyone's guess as to what we're in for...

=====================

Warmup:
    600 (25 Breast, 25 Breast kick w/ hands at sides, 25 Free, 25 V-Sit scull)

6 x 100 Kick w/ fins @ 2:00 Desc. 1-3, 4-6.
    --did SDK on back
    went 1:21/1:15/1:05, then 1:20, 1:13, 1:04
    (1200/1200)

12 x 50 Pull w/ paddles @ 1:15 - Odds Breast, Evens Free

8 x 50 @ 1:00
    IMOrder, 2 each stroke (1 EZ, 1 Fast)
    Fly - :30, Back - :34, Breast - :37, Free - :27 (totals 2:08ish 200 IM)
    (1000/2200)

Main Sets: (Test Set #1)

10 x 100 Free @ 1:30 best average
    • avg. 1:03.5 w/ a 25 HR/10 sec.
    • fastest was 1:01, mostly 1:03s/1:04s
    • this was a bit slower than my last time...oh well, I'm tired, and Jared wasn't there to push me (or to draft off)
    200 EZ
    (1200/3400)

(Test Set #2)

10 x 100 Flutter Kick w/ board @ 2:00
    • avg. 1:33s w/ a 22 HR/10 sec. (my HR won't get too high with kick alone)
    • Fastest - 1:31, Slowest 1:36
    • I dropped an 8 sec. avg. from the last time I did this
    • I felt really good with these, but got tired on #7, 8, 9, 10
    200 EZ
    (1200/4600)

6 x 25 All Out Choice stroke @ 1:00 (did Fly)
    • during the previous 200 cooldown a couple 12 year old girls thought it would be cute to hide my fins at the deep end of the pool. I noticed them after the 1st 25, and just put them on for the 2nd 25 to get them back to the start end. I ended up doing an :11 25 fly from push with only 3 strokes of fly
    Cooldown:
    Coach said "do a couple 100...wait, naaa, do one fifty".
    Did he say 1 x 50, or 150???
    My ears heard 1 x 50, and got started before anyone could question him.
    He smiled when I got out after 1 x 50, and said to me "I see what you did there."
    Masters swimming is all about being smart about your options.

-----------------------
    4800 Yards