View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Workout 10/18/12:

by , October 18th, 2012 at 10:21 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM Drill

10 x 100 with snorkel
    - Odds = Free on base (1:20) - work DPS
    - Evens = kick on base + 30 (1:50)

50 ez
    6 x 150 Pull with Buoy on 2:00
    - did backstroke on last 25

50 ez
    200 DPS smooth with paddles
    - alt fr/bk by 50

100 IM for time (1:07.82)
    50 ez
    4 x 50 on :60
    - 25 FR DPS, leave at the :25 and
    - 25 AFAP IM order

150 with snorkel loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/3300 yds/60 min)
    ----------------------------

Great swim tonight. Good warmup (see [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=212663&postcount=1437"]Ande's SFF tip[/ame] about kicking with a snorkel I saw last night) to the 150's, which I went 1:46 then held :50-52 the rest of the way, pushing through the heavy arms and engaging my hips to drive the pull and working to incorporate my upper body. Felt consistent, which is good for me.

Moved into some fast stroke efforts after lowering my heart rate a bit. I was looking through my blogs for the 100 IM challenge - with tonight's swim I've done 35 on the year. Probably won't hit 100, but that was my fastest practice time since March. Faithful readers will know that I am working to improve my breaststroke, and I am feeling like that hitch and lunge thing is finally happening after working my kick and timing. Great ideas from the forums to help out with this. For the 25's my times were (:14, :15, :18, :12) - tiring! I will do these on 1:10 or 1:15 next time to get more rest.

Planning to stay dry for the rest of the weekend. I have juiced enough grapes for 3.5 batches of jelly, and my wife's friends came through to pick the rest of our harvest. She bartered for leeks and fresh eggs from one gal, and goat milk and cheese from a local organic farm.

Here is a picture I took today, looking towards Bennington and north. The Monument is towards the middle of the pic, on the left. Gorgeous day today!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Thurs, Oct. 18, 2012 3:15-4:20pm early practice

by , October 18th, 2012 at 08:23 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    There is a high school meet at our normal practice time, so we were able to get in early from 3:00-5:00 this afternoon at the other pool instead. Normally I wouldn't make it there till about 3:45 at the best from work, but the lines finished a bit early, so I only ended up being about 15 minutes late. No big deal, it's quick taper time anyway.

I missed most of the initial 1000 warmup, but did

Warmup:
    250 Free stretchout

10 x 75 Kick w/ fins @ 1:15 (Fast/EZ/Fast by 25s)
    did SDK/flutter/SDK by 25s (~:56s)

Main Set: (aerobic EZ)

8 x 200 Free @ 2:40
    instructions were "nothing special, just make them and keep them consistent".
    went 2:20-2:22s, last one was 2:18. I just kept it EZ

500 Free Pull stretch out (this was my cooldown)

-----------------------
    3100 Yards

I threw in the towel and got out here, the next and final set besides cool down was 16x50s (4 each stroke desc. 1-4) @ 1:00 I decided after hearing what it was, that I didn't need to do it tonight, and I was to the showers.
  3. Thursday 10/18/12

Thursday 10/18

PM only SCY

2x
    200 swim
    200 pull w/ buoy + strapless paddles
    200 drill

12x75 w/ strapless paddles
    2 @ 1:15 25 R/25 L/25 swim
    2 @ 1:00 swim

2x1200 @ :20 rest w/ fins 300 kick/100 swim/200 kick/200 swim/100 kick/300 swim
    #1 - kick in S-line, swim 100 FL, 100 FL/100 BK, 100 FL/100 BK/100 BR
    #2 - (w/ snorkel) kick on stomach, hands at side, swim FR
    5 fly kicks off EVERY wall.

2x
    4x50 @ 1:00 4/3/2/1 breaths
    8x25 @ :30 V.S. (4 each stroke IM order)

3x (STRK was IM order by round)
    300 @ 4:00 D1-3 by round
    200 @ 3:00 FR/STRK by 50 (work STRK)
    100 @ 1:40 FAST STRK

Results:
    300s: 3:26, 3:19, 3:12
    100s: 1:01 (FL), 1:10 (BK), 1:09 (BR)

300 EZ

Total: 7400 (!)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Thursday, Oct. 18

by , October 18th, 2012 at 04:44 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    4 x 50 caterpillar fly drill @ 1:10
    50 EZ

Main Sets:

12 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    100 EZ

2 x through:
    25 AFAP from dive or block + 75 EZ
    37.5 AFAP from dive or block + 112.5 EZ
    50 AFAP from dive or block + 200 EZ

R1 = free (12 flat-low, 26 flat-low)
    R2 = back (12 mid, 28 high -- did not go past 15 m, sloppy turn)

2 x 100 AFAP w/fins, broken for :10 @ each 25 + 200 EZ
    IM = 50 flatish
    breast = 55 high

6 x 40 w/stretch cordz
    2 = breast w/15 fast strokes
    2 = back w/30 strong strokes
    2 = backstroke start, kick fast until taut then 12 fast kicks
    100 EZ

Total: 3400

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Cranked out my fastest practice 50 free ever today. Of course that might not be saying much as I literally never do a 50 free for time. Still, I'm hopeful I can crank a decent one at the Sprint Classic. My last really good 50 free was back in Feb. 2009 (tech suit aided 24.9).

Stretching and rehab exercises later. I have been using my flexibar regularly -- more than I bet Mr. Thornton has been willing to do for his tennis elbow issues!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Recovery days and other musings

by , October 18th, 2012 at 11:21 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I usually don't post my recovery days, but since my "training" is so unusual, I thought i'd give those who might like to see what I really do on MY recovery days.

I do think getting in for even a short swim is very beneficial. Not only do I still get a great shower & not have to use my own towels at home, but even very modest yardarge and time helps set me up for the next "real" workout.

Yesterday:

SCM, Baylor Fitness Center

300 warm up
    4 x 50 swim with short fins
    4 x 25 back/free
    50 easy

The End.

Later.....30 minutes of yoga. This is short for "yoga inspired stretching and yoga-like poses".

Emphasis is on not getting tired out. Thinking about how going "easy" today will set me up for an explosive tomorrow.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The World According to Chowmi: Talking with teachers. The girls' school is very strict with late/missing assignments. I won't go into all the rules, but essentially you get major grade reductions if you turn in late work or missing work. My older daughter had a very unsual case - where it was truly teacher error. She did turn in her work, but the teacher said it was missing and she would get a zero. This is devastating, if you think about it! Anyway, the teacher actually had it in her stack, and it was marked with a 100. She said she'd correct it and enter the grade. It wasn't. Daughter asked her again, and she corrected it on the spot, in class, on the computer. It still was not reflected in parent portal. Apparently, it didn't save! Long story short, grades come out and it wasn't reflected. I talked to the teacher about it. Teacher said she would fix it. Ok, like i've heard that before. But now we are at your mercy to fix it. And it needs principal approval, etc. Very annoying. I don't know what else to do. I then sent an email reminder to the teacher and printed it out and put it in her mailbox. Here is the exact text!

Ms. XXX,

Thank you for taking the time to correct Claire's final grade due to the inputting error for the missing assignment grade. I appreciate your consideration. I should have also checked with you when it did not update after Claire told me she watched you perform the change in class last week. Could you tell me what her adjusted grade will be?

And also thank you for feedback on Claire's in-class behavior and constructive comments. Last period is tough to stay disciplined and i'll make an effort to remind her to focus on her work, not talk unnecessarily/socially, and to strive to continue consistency in your class.

Thank you again,

Claire's mom

I must say, I am a model of diplomacy and tact, if I do say so myself. The initial reaction when I saw the report....just image Yosemite Sam! Worst case is she changes her mind and doesn't change the grade. And by the way, the current grade is an 88, but should have been 95-96. Question, dear blog readers, what should I do - let it go or not? On one hand, getting a B in the 6th grades means very little. It is a great life lesson that sometimes, yes, you do get screwed, and guess what, even mom and dad can't fix it for you even though you were right, and yes, it's not fair. On the other hand, making A honor roll is VERY VERY difficult. And my daughters have made high honor roll each year (straight A's for the entire year). So this is very important to them, and to me. And let's face it, I think it's entirely ok to say it's about me, too!

The World According to Chowmi: in response to Lance Armstrong/drugs in general: I really don't care about the Lance thing. Just more noise in my already busy life. See immediate paragraph above for the most pressing issue in the forefront of my mind. Drugs. Let's see. As my husband says, they do a have a side effect - greatness! Actually, it's not on principle that I wouldn't take drugs. It's that they have no practical purpose for me. (This is sort of a joke as well.) If drugs either help you train longer, get strong, or recover faster, those aren't what I am looking for. I don't need to recover faster. I can skip workout, or see very beginning of post - that seems so skelatal, who needs to recover any faster than that? Do I want to train longer? That would be no. Do I want to actually have to work harder, lift more? Ditto no. I would like the drug where you can swallow it, or even better, it's like a sweet Flinstone chewable or gummy vitamin. Then I don't have to train or do anything, increasing the amount of time to be a helicopter parent, or watch more TV. Then enter meets and swim sensational. That's the drug I want! I wonder if Speedo agrees with me. And last, the drugs that might actually help you go totally crazy fast in a race are illegal, addictive, and nonspecific. I really would not do those kinds of drugs! If I took some illegal drug, I may swim faster, but it's more likely i'd never make it to the pool as I go racing down the highway on foot screaming that there are bugs under my skin.

++++++++++++++++++
    Next up:
    Playground monitoring today! And then it's off to a workout, IM day!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Thu Oct 18th, 2012

by , October 18th, 2012 at 10:35 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thu Oct 18th, 2012

Swam yesterday, didn't blog

Whitney coached
    SCY UT Swim Center main pool
    6:30 - 8:00 Dove at 6:40
    Swam with Aamon, Jason, & David
    beside Tyler, Marcio, Chris, Ned, Keith, & Larry

Warm up
    assigned: 1000 did 5 - 600

Main Set

20 x 200 FR on 3:00
    Best average
    (she said we could choose stroke & distance, 100's, 150's or 200's,
    but they all had to be the same)
    after 10, we did an easy 100 fr I lead all but #11 & 12,
    went 2:13's & 14's on most of them
    tried to stay smooth

100 easy

Next Meet:

Sat Dec 1, 2012 - Sun Dec 2nd

2012 South Central SCM Reg Championships
    DAYS TILL

2013 South Central SCY Zone Championships
    Fri Apr 5 - Sun Apr 7 (Tentative)
    UT Austin, TX
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. 10.18.12 - Thursday workout

by , October 18th, 2012 at 10:08 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Ray, Dave, Blakely, Teresa and Keith. Got a lot of breaststroke pointers from Blakely after we did out main set. She had me doing some sculling drills that seem to help a lot.

SCY

600 Warm up

2 Times through:
    * 4 x 125 (Round 1 - 1:45, Convert Free-IM; Round 2 - 2:00, stroke IM Order)
    * 50 Easy
    * 4 x 100 (Round 1 - 1:30, Free, descend; Round 2 - 1:45 Kick)
    * 50 Easy
    * 4 x 75 - 1:15 (Round 1 - Convert Fly to back; Round 2 - Pull, descend)
    * 50 Easy
    * 4 x 50 Kick - 1:00 (Round 1, fins; Round 2, no fins)
    * 50 Easy
    * 4 x 25 - :30 (Round 1, IM Order fast; Round 2 free w/ strap on ankles)

300 Pull w/ ankle strap
    300 Yards of sculling drills mixed w/ br kick
    4 x 50 Breaststroke - 1:00 (Made :40-:42 keeping elbows higher and pulling wider; not too bad for changing up my stroke completely)

200 Cool down

(5000 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Lactate Production Day sort of

by , October 18th, 2012 at 07:34 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    I did not get thru the main set only started it but after a slow start I did manage to wake up my sprints alittle.

500 Free
    8x25@:45 Shooters w/zoomers
    50 EZ
    4x(4x25)@:45 1=drill 2=build 3=12.5EZ/12.5fast 4=smooth
    50 EZ

8x25@:45 kick w/board last 5 yards fast barge kick to wall
    100 EZ
    8x25@1:00 fast @100 pace went :18,:17,:17,:17,:16,:16,:16,:16 too me a bit but did manage to get moving in the end
    100 EZ

25 EZ
    25@1:00 AFAP went :16
    50@1:30 @100 pace went :36
    100@200 pace went 1:17
    200 EZ

100 kick w/zoomers
    100 EZ

Total 2400 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Wed, Oct. 17, 2012 7:00-9:00pm

by , October 18th, 2012 at 01:06 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Warmup:

500 Free DPS
    500 Kick w/ board EZ
    500 Pull w/ paddles EZ
    (1500/1500)

12 x 50 Sculling w/ buoy @ 1:30
    (3 front scull, 3 mid scull, 3 bottom scull, 3 top to bottom scull)
    (600/2100)

20 x 50 Kick w/ fins @ 1:00 Desc. 1-4
    did SDKs on back (ranged :45-:32s on each set of 4)

200 EZ
    (1200/3300)

Main Set:

8 x 100 -- IM Order by pairs @ 2:15
    • Odds Drill, Evens Fast
    • went 1:05 Fly, 1:19 Back, 1:18 Breast, 1:19 Breast**, :59 Free
    (1000/4300)
    **we had to redo the breaststroke pair because a few of the kids skipped out on their underwater pulls, so we all got to do it again. Hey, at least it wasn't the backstroke one!

4 x 50 @ 2:00 FAST IM Order
    • Fly :29
    • Back :33
    • Breast :36
    • Free :26
    200 EZ and done

-------------------------
    4700 Yards

A fairly easy practice overall. It was nice that John went easy on us so I didn't have to get out super early like an who is tapering. Yeah, the yardage was semi-high, but it was mostly all slow-type swimming, with a few race pace bursts near the end. I felt good, well except for my new worst stroke of backstroke. My arm is still a little sore from my flu shot yesterday, but it's much better.

I also see that the Club Assistant online heat/psych sheet is up for the NW Zone SCM meet:
    http://www.swimphone.com/mobile/meet....cfm?smid=3629

I'm doing the 400 Free, 200 Fly, 200 IM, 200 Breast, and 800 IM on Saturday, with the 400 IM as my sole event on Sunday. Sunday will be a "play it by ear" day as to whether or not I swim or not. I am the top seed in the 400 IM overall with 2nd place being KNelson. I'd hate to just "give it to him" by dropping out, but that may happen.
    Our 800 IM event should be fun between T.G. and myself. We're seeded #18/#19 in the event, so with the 8 lanes/heat, we should be seeded right near the top of our 3rd to last heat. Hopefully we don't get separated into different heats. We entered with identical times to try to prevent that (10:44.44)
  10. Oct 17th 2012 - What has it done for me?

by , October 18th, 2012 at 12:29 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    When I was very young, about 4, I remember a sleeper wave knocking me down and pulling me out into the surf. The sea was forgiving or deliberate and deposited me back on shore, somehow I knew to hold my breath and deal with it. Since then I have had a relationship with water that has lasted me a lifetime. I continue to learn and grow and the water always seems to be a central part of who I am, besides the 70%.

Swimming. What has it done? Besides accelerating the natural wrinkling process of aging, swimming has got me toned and in shape, I left Aquasol in July 2012 and started with a weight lifting program that is concentrating on muscle mass and strength. Since my last negative post, I thought I would post something positive. I am getting stronger, people are noticing my muscle mass increasing a bit and I've turned the persistent body fat into lean muscle. I still have the motivation to swim fast so I swim one to two times a week at local drop-in lap swims.

I represent the obscure faces in the crowd who never got into the top ten, twenty or anything, who look forward to a workout because it something healthy to do and at the very least is keeping my cardio vascular systems in top shape. I gave up on being a competitive swimmer for now, because I just wanted to be in the race, not just a Ďhaving funí participant. I have decided on strength goals and when I hit them, like 30 pull-ups and 10x200lb. wide grip pull downs, (Iím at 8 pull ups and 2x10x140lb now) I will start timing my 50ís and 100ís to see where Iím at, then Iíll see about a meet. My swims are more about technique and are done at a moderate pace.

Although I really miss Coach Janine and Coach Steve and my lane buddies at Aquasol Masters, I know that if I return, I will be able to look at the clock and feel good about the swim. Otherwise I would be just a lap swimmer, which I am now, but nobodyís keeping up with me. Itís amazing how many people look like shark bait in the water, but I used to be there too.

The moral is donít give up, adapt, change it up, cross-train and keep the dream alive, even if itís just to swim a 100 free in :52, or a 100 Fly in :58Öthen youíll be in the race, that is, I hope to be in that race. I can say that the journey so far has been awesome, my health has changed and its been worth every workout and every struggle. I thank God for thatÖ
    Categories
    Planning