View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Interruptions...

by , October 16th, 2012 at 06:16 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    Haven't been able to get in as much yardage as I'd like in the last few days. Something always seems to stand in the way. Only managed 2000 on Saturday and another 2K on Sunday. Today I had to cut my workout short because they had a HS swim meet coming in at 4 and wanted to have the pool cleared out at 3:30. Here's what I managed to get in anyway:

3300 SCY in 62-64 minutes

--1100 warm-up:
    [100 EZ free
    5 x 100 drill w/ fins alternating w/
    5 x 100 pull]
    --2000 main set:
    [1 x 400 on 7:30
    2 x 300 on 5:30
    3 x 200 on 3:30
    4 x 100 on 1:45]
    --200 cool-down (breast)

I'm a little bit wary of my suddenly "trick" shoulder. Still can't really figure out what I did to it this weekend. It seems to be a lot better today and it doesn't bother my freestyle stroke at all unless I'm really pushing the pace.

I've let go of the filp-turn for now in case that's what might be causing extra stress on the neck and shoulder. I think I need to incorporate some dry land resistance and flexibility training regardless.... I just never seem to find the time.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Tuesday, Oct. 16

by , October 16th, 2012 at 04:23 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    50 EZ

Main Sets:

10 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    100 EZ

3 x through:
    25 AFAP + 75 EZ @ 3:00
    50 AFAP, broken for :10 @ 25 + 150 EZ @ 5:00
    R1 = free w/fins from push (10, 20 high-21 flat)
    R2 = 25 breast from push 16 high, 50 from a dive 32 flatish
    R3 = 25 fly from dive 21 high, 50 fly-back 26 highish

4 x 50 pull w/parachute @ 1:45
    4 x 25 kick w/parachute @ 1:00
    100 EZ

Total: 2500

Rushed off to an appt and then stopped at gym to do 45 minutes of rehab ex and stretching.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Did my entries for the Sprint Classic last night:

100 free, 1:59
    100 breast, 1:17.0
    100 IM, 1:04.5
    25 fly, 13.3
    25 back, 13.4
    25 breast, 15.7
    25 free. 12.2

Entered "off" events and last year's times for the 25s. A rare meet with no fly or back (except the 25s). Obviously, doing a 50 split in free. Will only have 25 minutes before 100 breast, but that's just what I feel like swimming.

On other news, the cortisone shot has not done much for my elbow. Not unexpected (though last year it really zapped the pain). This reminds me of my last shoulder problem ... So I finally went ahead and scheduled an MRI (3T machine) and PRP consult. I had been reluctant to do this just because I'm sick of doctors and appointments after the last year. Unclear how many days of kicking this will involve ... I will have to strategically schedule it around meets.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Tuesday 10/16/12

Tuesday 10/16

PM only SCY

500 swim 4/6/2 turns

4x100 @ 1:50 V.S. kick in S-line
    4x50 @ 1:00 dr/sw I.M.O.
    8x50 @ 1:00 kick w/ board 10 meters in and out of wall FAST
    8x25 @ :35 15m kick under H2O FAST

w/ fins:
    4x200 @ 2:50 kick w/ 5 FAST FL kicks off each wall
    4x100 @ 1:30 swim w/ Trojan Tumbles + 5 FL kicks off each wall
    8x50 @ 1:00 25 under H2O + flip turn + 5 fly kicks off wall
    8x25 @ :30 swim 3 FAST/1 AE, RD1: FR, RD2: STRK

100 EZ

6x100 @ 1:30 BEST AVG (1:00, :59, 1:00, 1:00, :59, 1:00 for an AVG of 59.6)
    4x50 @ :50 2 BK/2 FR
    6x100 @ 1:40 BEST AVG (:58, :59, :59, :58, 1:00, :58 for an AVG of 58.6)
    4x50 @ :50 25 BK/25 FR
    4x150 @ 2:30 pull w/ buoy + strapless paddles + snorkel focus on finishing stroke!
    4x50 @ :45 DPS w/ 4/6/2 turns

Total: 6000
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Tue Oct 16th, 2012

by , October 16th, 2012 at 10:21 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tue Oct 16th, 2012

The South Central SCM meet 45 days away
    This coming Monday I plan to shift to speed & strength training

Yesterday Jim told me someone broke my 2:13.42 10k NR for 45 - 49 men
    just looked it up, Congrats to
    45-49 1 Hardy Lussier C 46 OREG 3723-025VX 2:10:29.48

Doubled yesterday,
    swam with Jim, Korey
    next to Bob & Robert Killeen

Jim & I did
    50's on 35, 100's on 1:05 & 200's on 2:15
    made em all

Robert Killeen & I weigh in after the Monday noon practice RK: 226 AR: 217
    He said he drank alot over the weekend
    I went to ACL on Sunday

Whitney coached
    SCY UT Swim Center main pool
    6:30 - 8:00 Dove at 6:31
    Swam with Mike, Korey, & Marcio
    beside Todd, Tyler, Paul, Jim

Warm up
    400, 300, 200 100

Main Set

2 Rounds of:

4 x 25 FL on :25

300 FR at 75%
    except mike & Marcio went faster & harder

4 x 50 FL,bk on :50

300 FR at 75%

4 x 75 fl bk br on 1:10

300 fr at 75%

4 x 100 IM on 1:30

300 FR

~ ~ ~ ~

all that doesn't seem like much but it adds up to 5,400

Next Meet:

Sat Dec 1, 2012 - Sun Dec 2nd

2012 South Central SCM Reg Championships
    DAYS TILL

2013 South Central SCY Zone Championships
    Fri Apr 5 - Sun Apr 7 (Tentative)
    UT Austin, TX
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Monday,10/15/12

by , October 16th, 2012 at 09:42 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    The last time I swam was Thursday evening. I then spent a long weekend camping in the mountains with my coach and our dogs. And no swimming. Just some mountain biking and hiking. It was a nice break.

SCY
    Warm up (900)

300 swim - free & back
    3 x 100 free/1:40 desc - work on DPS
    - 1:25->1:20 and 15 SPL
    3 x 100 back/1:50 desc - work on DPS
    - 1:35->1:30 and 16 SPL

Main Set: Distance free/back (1600)
    1 x 400/30sr alternating free and back by 50's, free = ez, bk = strong
    - went 6:10
    4 x 100/1:45 strong pace
    - all free, between 1:20 and 1:22
    2 x 200/3:30 strong build
    - one back - 3:05, one free - 2:45
    8 x 50/50 stronger pace
    - all free at 38

Kick set - with Fins (400)
    8 x 50/50 nice & fast
    - 1-4 flutter w/snorkel & board, 5-8 on back, ave 41 for all

Warm down
    300 easy free

Total: 3200 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Notes to self

-In Jan, stay out of the confident GTD kool aid.
    -Swim more. My notes show that I swam faster when I swam more and did less dryland.
    -Stretch more
    -Warm down more. Sounds simple doesn't it.
    -DPS fly might be the way to go for me in my 4IM.
    -Chris's rating calculator shows my IM's are my best events on all three courses. One of them is at the top of the list. The other one or two are also in the top four.
    -The fly and br legs of the IM are my Achilles heel. Most of my energy gets used during fly. DPS fly might be the short term answer.
    -KICK! KICK! KICK! Make it more of a habit while swimming in practice. I am a strong kicker compared to the rest of our team but am a weak kicker compared to most of the USMS population.
    -Bilateral breath when possible in practice for stroke balance. Hard for me to do when we are swimming fast. I do like breathing every 4 strokes. Maybe this will help.
    -Continue to have fun! Should be easy to do.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. how does one swim with sorrow?

by , October 16th, 2012 at 09:25 AM (Colleen Conway's blog)
    Today I am suppoesed to be happy. I turned 28. I have practice tonight. And this weekend, my first swim meet since getting back in the pool two months ago. But I am absolutley heart broken.

Yesterday I had to do something I always thought was so wrong in logic, put down my bestfriend who I have loved more than anything in the world for the past 7 years, my pug Ernie.

Ernie is/was not just a dog. He literally seemed human, with his huge eyes and facial expressions, his extremely naughty behavior, he got away with murder. I bought him as a junior in college in California, kept him in the dorm as contraband until my roomie and I moved off, and he was with me through lawschool in Rhode Island, and with my family in NJ where he would run around in the backyard with the other dog. On my wedding day he was dressed in his own little tux and top hat and was stepping all over the back of my train while I yelled for someone to put him in another room lol. He just recently made it to my husband and I's first and new home, but he wasnt himself, because he was sick. Ernie had bowel disease or cancer, the vet said that basically more tests would be futile and either way it would be chemotheraphy, suffering death and somehow by bringing my crying baby daughter with me, and crying my eyes out to the vet, they perscribed steriods that gave him what seemed like a LAzarus new start, for two months until this past week when they stopped working....he stopped eating...and he was basically starving to death and losing control of his bowels. So yesterday, while at my parents house, because I took him home so he can be where there were lots of people who loved him, I knew it was beyond time to end his suffering.

After losing control a few times he walked up to me, and I asked him if he wanted to go outside which he hasnt done in a few weeks and I did. He was sitting outside, and seemingly enjoying the fall day. And after ten minutes or so I had to go pick him up and take him to put him down. At the vet, I held him in my arms, told him I loved him soooooo much, he was such a good boy. The vet told me he would release the barbituate and within seconds ernie had died. I got this random warm feeling of intense love to the right of me, which must have been Ernie's spirit thanking me for putting him out of his misery... I buried him in our backyard in a special box with memories written all over it, with love, the pjs I had worn recently, and his first toy ever, a curly tailed racoon, literally, a toy from where I bought him that they threw in for free because when they used to let him around and run loose in the store he used to always steal it off the wall, by his head. And he is in a spot right by our outside slate porch and a rose bush, so our family and other dog will always be around him.

Cried the whole day yesterday. And I dont think of myself as a cry baby. Its just coming out, streaming. I just will miss him so much. I had to come back to my own home, so my husband and I drove back with our daughter and when we pull up to our driveway to our home which is an hour 30 away from my parents, in the dark, the only light that is turned on, is this huge stained glass angel display in the front top window space of our house that we have never turned on since being here for two months. My husbands like "omg thats so weird" and I was just sort of like I guess that means everythings ok. Even though it may be an amazing sign, I will still miss Ernie so much. Waking up today and knowing it was my birthday, and he wasnt there to let out first thing in the morning, and his sleep pillow is just there empty in the kitchen is heart breaking. I loved him so much.

How will I get in the pool tonight, how could I ever swim? How does one swim through grief? I dont know. I guess only time will hopefully help things.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. how does one swim with sorrow?

by , October 16th, 2012 at 09:25 AM (Colleen Conway's blog)
    Today I am suppoesed to be happy. I turned 28. I have practice tonight. And this weekend, my first swim meet since getting back in the pool two months ago. But I am absolutley heart broken.

Yesterday I had to do something I always thought was so wrong in logic, put down my bestfriend who I have loved more than anything in the world for the past 7 years, my pug Ernie.

Ernie is/was not just a dog. He literally seemed human, with his huge eyes and facial expressions, his extremely naughty behavior, he got away with murder. I bought him as a junior in college in California, kept him in the dorm as contraband until my roomie and I moved off, and he was with me through lawschool in Rhode Island, and with my family in NJ where he would run around in the backyard with the other dog. On my wedding day he was dressed in his own little tux and top hat and was stepping all over the back of my train while I yelled for someone to put him in another room lol. He just recently made it to my husband and I's first and new home, but he wasnt himself, because he was sick. Ernie had bowel disease or cancer, the vet said that basically more tests would be futile and either way it would be chemotheraphy, suffering death and somehow by bringing my crying baby daughter with me, and crying my eyes out to the vet, they perscribed steriods that gave him what seemed like a LAzarus new start, for two months until this past week when they stopped working....he stopped eating...and he was basically starving to death and losing control of his bowels. So yesterday, while at my parents house, because I took him home so he can be where there were lots of people who loved him, I knew it was beyond time to end his suffering.

After losing control a few times he walked up to me, and I asked him if he wanted to go outside which he hasnt done in a few weeks and I did. He was sitting outside, and seemingly enjoying the fall day. And after ten minutes or so I had to go pick him up and take him to put him down. At the vet, I held him in my arms, told him I loved him soooooo much, he was such a good boy. The vet told me he would release the barbituate and within seconds ernie had died. I got this random warm feeling of intense love to the right of me, which must have been Ernie's spirit thanking me for putting him out of his misery... I buried him in our backyard in a special box with memories written all over it, with love, the pjs I had worn recently, and his first toy ever, a curly tailed racoon, literally, a toy from where I bought him that they threw in for free because when they used to let him around and run loose in the store he used to always steal it off the wall, by his head. And he is in a spot right by our outside slate porch and a rose bush, so our family and other dog will always be around him.

Cried the whole day yesterday. And I dont think of myself as a cry baby. Its just coming out, streaming. I just will miss him so much. I had to come back to my own home, so my husband and I drove back with our daughter and when we pull up to our driveway to our home which is an hour 30 away from my parents, in the dark, the only light that is turned on, is this huge stained glass angel display in the front top window space of our house that we have never turned on since being here for two months. My husbands like "omg thats so weird" and I was just sort of like I guess that means everythings ok. Even though it may be an amazing sign, I will still miss Ernie so much. Waking up today and knowing it was my birthday, and he wasnt there to let out first thing in the morning, and his sleep pillow is just there empty in the kitchen is heart breaking. I loved him so much.

How will I get in the pool tonight, how could I ever swim? How does one swim through grief? I dont know. I guess only time will hopefully help things.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. 10.16.12 - Tuesday workout

by , October 16th, 2012 at 09:04 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Ray, Dave, Dave, Dave and Keith. Did a 4K main set straight through on a 1:30 pace. Went faster than I thought it would.

SCY

250 Warm up

400 IM/400 Free - 6:00
    300 IM/300 Free - 4:30
    200 IM/200 Free - 3:00
    100 IM/100 Free - 1:30
    100 Free/100 IM - 1:30
    200 Free/200 IM - 3:00
    300 Free/300 IM - 4:30
    400 Free/400 IM - 6:00
    150 Easy
    Made the last IM on 5:40

6 x 50 Kick - 1:00
    12 x 25 - :40
    * odds - IM Order hard
    * evens - no breath

200 Cool down

(5200 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Still in recovery mode today added a little sprint at end

by , October 16th, 2012 at 07:33 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Still somewhat slow and sluggish today so I went with it and worked on some drills and yes even a little of that evil stroke.

500 Free every 4th lap streamline kick on back

200 scull drill w/snorkle
    200 free underwater recovery drill w/snorkle
    200 breast kick for a change of pace
    200 breast pull w/zoomers
    200 free kick w/zoomers

5x100@1:30 free w/strapless paddles & bouy
    8x25@:45 burst + cruise

2x(50 AFAP + 100 EZ free) round 1 50 free in :34 round 2 50 back in :42

Total 2500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Mon, Oct. 15, 2012 7:00-9:00pm

by , October 16th, 2012 at 01:04 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Warmup:

400 Swim DPS - did all free 11-12 SPL
    200 Sitting on kickboard, back straight & upright, breaststroke pull
    200 V-Sit Scull - OMG this was tough...especially in combo with the previous swim
    (800/800)

16 x 25 SDK w/ fins underwater no breathers @ :50
    (400/1200)

Main Set:

10 Rounds of:
    • 75 Build to Sprint (last 25) @ 1:30
    • 2 x 25 ALL OUT SPRINT @ 1:00
    • Odd rounds are Stroke (non free)
    • Even rounds are Free (I worked the SDKs on these)
    (held ~:50-:51s for the fly 75s, ~:46s @ Free 75s)
    This was a tough set!

200 EZ
    (1450/2650)

Assigned:

10 x 100 Kick w/ fins and board @ 1:25
    • I did 10 x 50 SDK w/ fins on back @ 1:25
    • need to rest my legs most of all, and I'm officially starting my taper right now!!
    • coach thought I was cramping as to why I was doing only 50s...Nope, I'm good...just want to take things a little easy now
    (500/3150)

1000 EZ Pull breathe every 3

------------------------
    4150 Yards - what a difference!!