100 EZ

200 stroke cruise
    Rest 60
    100 stroke (50 AFAP, 50 cruise)
    Rest 60
    50 AFAP

100 EZ

3950 scy

It seems as if I have caught whatever my wife and little ones had last week. I feel much better today compared to yesterday but had a hard time switching gears tonight. Thankfully we had plenty of rest. I didn't swim as fast as what was expected of me but I made it through it.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Training & Complaining 10/01/12

by , October 1st, 2012 at 09:28 PM (Grandma Got Run Over By A Swim Team)
    Not myself today. I noticed in warm-up - kept thinking, geez, why is everyone going so fast, don't they know it's warm-up? Just went down-hill from there. Here's what we did -

400 back/free
    400P
    4 x 250 (150 free, 100 non-free)
    8 x 50 kick
    12 x 100 on 1:20 (barely made the last 3)
    100 easy
    Total: 3700

Moved over into a lane by myself so I could nurse my poor pathetic body - don't know what was the matter with me today - my lower back hurt, my neck hurt, my elbows kinda hurt, and I had no get up and go. But I did it anyway. It wasn't pretty, but, whatever. And I did NOT do any extra.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. An open-water weekend

I had a very fun weekend full of open-water swimming. On Saturday I went out to Brighton Beach for a swim—I went to the pier and back—followed by CIBBOWS’s annual volunteer party at famed boardwalk bar Ruby’s. It had been a while since I was last out at Brighton, and it was wonderful to see all my beach pals there. Fall beach season has officially started—the water was around 66 degrees, and felt wonderful. The ocean was full of little organic thingies—tiny, filament-y stuff suspended in the water. I recalled something I had read about some sort of ocean fauna—tuna, I think—whose young migrated to “nutrient rich” waters. This water seemed very nutrient rich, but I didn’t see any larger fauna taking advantage of it, other than jellyfish.

And seabirds. There were a lot of gulls around, and at one point when I was swimming back from the pier I lifted my head to sight and saw a cormorant sitting in the water, only about a foot ahead of me—another stroke and I would have made contact. It was watching me calmly as it floated along. I said hi and circled around it.

After my swim I hung out on the beach, visiting with friends and eating my lunch, then practiced cartwheels and fancy skipping with Hsi-Ling. (Beach plyo, as I think of it). I tried to get people to go back into the water with me for synchro, but had no takers—most everyone was either done with their swims and already dressed, or just heading out. After a bit we all wandered up the boardwalk to Ruby’s, where CIBBOWS was providing food and drinks for a few hours. I hung around in the bar a bit, then headed out onto the Coney Island Pier with a few like-minded friends. Although I have swum to this pier dozens of times—it marks the western end of the 5k loop we all swim—I had never actually walked out on it before. It was fun to have a new perspective on the beach and jetties, as well as educational—what looks very far out from shore when we’re in the water seems fairly close in from higher-up.

I also found out that while I’ve been away, my CIBBOWS swim buddies have been adventuring into new waters. Many of them have been swimming past the pier, down to the last jetty before Seagate. In fact, the big divide is not whether people go past the pier or not, but whether they go around or under. I have never swum past the pier before, and now I’m definitely feeling behind the curve. I know where I’m going next time I’m out at Brighton! (And I think around is the way to go—I know I’m not brave enough to go under!)

I spent a little more time at Ruby’s before heading home for dinner and a good night’s sleep before the next day’s adventure. On Sunday I rode the train up to Cold Spring to swim the 10+K Bannerman’s Island Return course in the Hudson. I had done this swim a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it immensely—it’s a wonderfully scenic section of the river—so I jumped at the chance to do it again when Rondi and Dave decided that a second test swim was warranted. This time there were eight swimmers, divided into 4 pods of 2, with a kayaker accompanying each pair and Agent Orange patrolling the course and collecting data. I was partnered with John H, with Terry as our kayaker, and we all worked well together and enjoyed a wonderful day on the river.

On our trip up to Bannerman’s we enjoyed beautiful sunny skies. We probably dallied a little more than we should have, submerging to listen to the noises barges make under water, doing synchro, and just stopping to enjoy the glorious views—for the tide turned a little bit before we got to Bannerman’s. But the current against us wasn’t as strong as last time, and we were able to easily swim against it to the northern tip of the island before turning around and riding it back downriver to the start. In the process I confirmed that I might be part salmon—I really enjoy the sensation of swimming against the current. I think of those cylinders of water that I’ve seen in aquaria that contain salmon swimming against a spiraling current. That would be me if I had my druthers.

On the way to Bannerman I could see some very dark clouds moving in from the west, and when we stopped for our first feed after rounding the island we could hear thunder in the distance. We were instructed to swim close to shore on the way back so that we could get out quickly in case the thunderstorms came our way. Luckily they did not, although some rain did. It was very cool swimming with such dramatic skies around us, and I felt safe with Terry and Agent Orange nearby in case of trouble.

Eventually the skies cleared, and by the time we finished our swim—3h25m later after we started—the sky was again sunny and blue. I had a very nice ride home on the train admiring the river I had just swum in. It was a great way to close out the weekend.

And here's a video from the swim, during a visit from Agent Orange while we were swimming upriver:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA29JmGbmNI"]P9300070.MOV bannerman island test swim - sun sep 30, 2012 (b) janet and john huges - YouTube[/nomedia]

Updated October 2nd, 2012 at 09:00 PM by swimsuit addict (video added)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Monday, 10/1/12

by , October 1st, 2012 at 07:50 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Because the weather has been so nice, the pool manager has postponed the closing of the outdoor pool.
    Even though we could use some precip. I hope it continues to stay warm for another month or so. I hate swimming indoors!

SCM

Warm up (1100)
    300 smooth swim - free & back
    300 IM - Alternate 25 kick/25 drill/25 swim
    4 x 75/1:30 - desc.
    4 x 50/1:10 - 15 - 20 - 15 ( Fast break outs and fast finishes)

Main Set: (1500)
    15 x 100's (no extra rest between rounds of 3)
    3/2:25 - (75 kick - 25 smooth swim) - went 2:10
    3/2:15 - (50 kick - 50 swim) - went 2:00
    3/2:05 - (25 kick - 75 swim) - went 1:50
    3/1:50 - swim - went 1:35
    3/1:45 - swim - went 1:37

Warm down
    100 easy free & back

Total: 2700 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Workout 10/01/12:

by , October 1st, 2012 at 05:13 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Played basketball last night with my son as planned. Not a large turnout with nine guys, so we played 4 x 4 with my team having a sub every five points. We played three games to 21 over 90 minutes, and then I had to leave to get home. Still need to get basketball shoes ...

Got in today at lunch for the following swim:

w/u: 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill

3 x 500's done as a 400 Fr with snorkel + 100 back active recovery, all on 7 minutes
    - Rd 1: 1 x 400 (5:10)
    - Rd 2: 2 x 200, :10 SR (2:31, :30)
    - Rd 3: 4 x 100, :10 SR (1:10, :14, :13, :12)
    (started to get crowded here) ...

4 x 100 Kick Quarter's Strong on 2:00
    2 x 200 DPS Pull with buoy (one free, one back)
    (keep avoiding traffic, keep avoiding traffic)
    1 x 200 with snorkel loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/3100 yds/60 min)
    --------------------------

Not as sore from basketball. Used my running sneaks instead of my cross-trainers, which seemed to help. I'm still in organization mode at the house, and fired up my old pc with Windows 98 to aid in logging numbers so I can shred the papers I don't need to keep. Why do I mention this? Not sure ... Thought That Guy might get a kick out of it Anyways, I was sucked into watching The Promise on Hulu - really interesting series. Missed the last half of the fourth and final episode to go to bball, so I need to finish watching that. This is why I try not to watch the boob-tube: too distracting.

Slept in again today. The swim was good. I had intended to get into the water 30 minutes early but went for a walk with my wife so just swam for an hour. I forget where I saw that main set - could've been an old pwb workout or maybe from the marathon swimmers forum. I forget. Goal is to descend add-up time 6-8 seconds as you go through, which I accomplished (5:10, 5:01, 4:49), and kept the snorkel in check for the most part.

I was going to go into a nice 200 stroke set I found from my blog in October of last year, but there were too many people in the lane. I just went to near-IG mode with some kicking and technique work. Did some nice conversing with lane-mates as well

Off to the shredder!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Friday 9/28/12

Friday 9/28

"Sprint King"

PM only SCY

3x
    400 @ 5:20 swim 4/6/2 turns
    6x50 @ 1:00 #1,6 FR, #2-5 IM order (RD1: kick, RD2: drill/build, RD3: Fast/EZ)
    3x100 @ 1:15, 1:10, 1:20 (IM) by round, D1-3

100 EZ

Sprint King:
    4x
    50 @ 5:00 FAST IM order by round (200 EZ after each 50)
    1x
    100 @ 5:00 IM (200 EZ after the 100)

500 kick w/ board + fins 100 FL/100 FR
    100EZ

Total:5000

Results:
    FL 26.8
    BK 32.0
    BR 29.6
    FR 24.9
    IM 1:02.5

The college team does this every year and I participate, although being one of the coaches this year, I couldn't swim it with them, so I swam int he preceding hour.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Wednesday 9/26/12

Wednesday 9/26

PM only SCY

600 swim 4/6/2 turns
    400 pull w/ buoy
    300 drill/DPS by 50

8x25 @ :30 FAST kick w/ board FR (AVG: 20.2)
    6x50 @ 1:00 drill
    8x50 @ 1:00 FAST kick w/ board FR (AVG: 41.1)
    6x50 @ 1:00 drill
    8x100 @ 2:00 FAST kick w/ board FR (AVG: 1:21.9)

100 EZ

6x100 @ 1:15 D1-3, 4-6 hold RED pace
    6x50 @ 1:00 active recovery

Total: 4300

It has been a super busy week and I barely had enough time to get in a few workouts, let alone record them here.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Monday, Oct. 1

by , October 1st, 2012 at 03:16 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    10 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    50 EZ

Speed Sets:

I did a slightly modified version of workout #2 from the HIT forum: [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=21451"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]

8 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    50 EZ

8 x 25, perfect DPK streamline + 12.5 sprint to wall @ 1:00
    100 EZ

8 x (25 @ 100 pace + 50 EZ w/fins) @ 2:00
    -- 4 free (11 low), 4 fly (11 high)
    100 EZ

3 x broken 100 AFAP w/fins + 200 EZ @ 6:00
    1 = 75 + :10 rest + 25 (did fly, :51)
    2 = 50 + :10 rest + 50 (did IM, :52)
    3 = break every 25 for :10 (did fly, :46)
    -- I had my usual trouble with breakouts in fly. I can't seem to sense the surface very well and I can feel the drag from lifting my head slightly.

4 x 50 breast pull w/parachute @ 2:00
    100 EZ

Total: 3250

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Felt better this am and got in a good workout, though now tummy is feeling a bit queasy again.

Boosting immunity:
    http://www.swimmingscience.net/2012/...s-part-ii.html
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. A day of 50 frees

by , October 1st, 2012 at 11:32 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I've been IMming so much lately that I had to take a day and specifically do fast 50 frees from a dive.

Sat - I cleaned the house! That was so tiring. In fact, I marked it down in my drylands column. I thought doing drylands after that would be counterproductive. And who's to say that rubbing your arms up and down in a cleaning pattern while swaying your butt side to side isn't as good as traditional core/curl/lifting?

Sun - SCM, Baylor Fitness Center on my own.

500 warm up

4 x 50 kick
    4 x 50 pull
    100 easy

4 x 25 % increases
    4 x 25 variables

FAST 50 FROM A DIVE: 30
    200 easy

FAST 50 FROM A DIVE: 29
    200 easy

FAST 50 FROM A DIVE: 29
    200 easy
    50 easy

Ok! That was quite good! I was very pleased that I was solidy under 30, but then, one is never satisfied and wondering now what it will take to get to 28's in workout. It is also very irksome that I have to start myself. So I have been waiting to the 7 and on the 7 count 1, 2, 3, Go (so going on 4, not on 3), which if counted just right, i'm leaving on the 00 mark. It is quite distracting, up there with walking and chewing gum. Well, that's actually not very hard, so more like rubbing your tummy and patting your head.

If I were to race today, i'd be really disappointed if I wasn't faster than 27.5 SCM in a race. That's better than my recent times, but I do think i've been more focused on actually sprinting into elusive speed territory that I should set my goals this high.

+++++++++++++++++++++
    Not sure about meets. I think I will wait until after the first USA meet (50 free/100 fly) to decide what I want to do as far as SCM meets. There is one in the Woodlands (about 3+ hours drive) at a good pool, great order of events, but it's a very small meet so limits what is realistic to swim and get times close to my max potential.

++++++++++++++++++++
    In other news, not sure how I really feel about it except wow, i'd better start really committing myself if this is my goal....the USA grand prix cuts have come out. They are making a statement and no longer is it easy to make the cuts!! As of now, i'm limited to only local A meets and maybe Sectionals depending on the cuts, which I think won't change too much.

http://www.usaswimming.org/_Rainbow/...ds_9-25-12.pdf
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. 10.01.12 - Monday workout

by , October 1st, 2012 at 10:24 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Roger, Dave, Dave, Aundrey, Danny, Ray, Leah, Wendy and Keith. Played 4 v 4 soccer in a cool drizzle last night. Optimal conditions and I got a solid 80 minutes of play. About halfway through, I chased down a cross that was played a little too long. As I controlled the ball, I slipped and fell. Laying on the ground, I took a quick look at the situation... one defender approaching and another blocking the goal... I'm laying on my side 10 yards from the goal and hey, the ball just rolled to my feet. I figured "why not", bent my knee and took a shot. Somehow, I got some power on it and the ball threaded past the two defenders and into the back of the 4' x 4' goal. We all just laughed. I only wish I were that good. My back was a wreck from refereeing all weekend but not so bad this morning. I struggled through the first set but was ok after that.

SCY

600 warm up

200 IM - 3:00
    200 IM - 2:55
    200 IM - 2:50
    100 IM/100 Free - 2:45
    100 IM/100 Free - 2:40
    100 IM/100 Free - 2:35
    200 Free - 2:30
    100 Easy
    Made the 200 IMs but got in trouble at the 100 IM/100 Free. Fell a few seconds back and then dropped the fly from the next IM. Still off the interval so I dropped fly and back for the final 100 IM. That got me closer but I was still needing to make the 200 free in 2:25. Picked up the pace and was only off by a second.

6 x 150 - 2:30 (free/sdk/free)
    100 Easy
    This was supposed to be 8 sdks, breathe, submerge and do another 8 sdks. Repeat for 50 yards. It took me a while to get the hang of this. I ended up doing 8 sdks, taking a breaststroke pull/kick and then submerging. That was the only way I could get back into a streamline with any appreciable speed.

5 Times through:
    * 50 hard kick/50 easy pull - 1:45
    * 50 hard pull/50 easy kick - 1:45

10 x 50 - 1:00 25 fly no breath/25 easy
    I made #1, #2, #3, #6, #8, #10 no breath.

16 x 25 - :40
    * Down hard stroke IM Order
    * Back no breath

200 Cool down

(5200 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Modified Speed work today

by , October 1st, 2012 at 09:32 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Only had 1 hour today so really had to cut things short.

500 Free
    8x25@:45 Shooters w/monofin just did not have the lung capacity to make it today
    50 EZ
    8x25@:45 burst + cruise, fast hands drill
    50 EZ

3x(3x75)@2:00
    R1 as 25 fly@200 pace + 50 smooth :05 RI after 25, held :21's
    R2 as 25 shooters +50 smooth :10 RI
    R3 as 50 kick on back + 25 fast went fly breast fly
    325 EZ

Total 2000 yards

I did not realize I had used my legs so much with the breaststroke yesterday but breast hurt today.
    Categories
    Uncategorized