View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Tuesday Nasti swim

by , October 6th, 2009 at 10:22 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    A rainy, stormy day here in central Indiana. I was planning to have my a.m. classes outside but had to adjust at the last moment and stay in.
    Swam tonight with Nasti's. Here's the workout"

*500 Free swim
    *4 X 125 on 2:00 freestyle
    *300 IM (each stroke segment done kick/drill/stroke)
    *4 X 100 Free on 1:45
    *5 X 50 free-descend each repitition :5 seconds starting at 1;00.
    *100 IM easy stretch
    *5 X 50 Free-descend as above
    *200 Backstroke-smooth concentrate on turns
    *100 IM ezee
    *100 Free ezee
    2,700 scy
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Encouraged by progress

by , October 6th, 2009 at 06:35 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    On August 10, I did a run on the treadmill where I warmed up for a mile, did two miles at tempo, and then warmed down for a mile. On August 10, I ran the two miles at an 8:30 pace at an HR of 170. My goal back then was to aim try to get my time down while keeping the same HR. Today, warmed up a mile and then ran the two miles at a 7:40 pace and my HR was 168. Cooled down with an easy mile. I was surprised that I was able to get it down to this time in just a couple of months.

Right after the run, I hit upper body weights. This was not easy.

Bench press: 2 sets of 75 x 15

Lat hi row (I qbrain's suggestions in mind, but somehow got the warm-up mixed up.): warm-up of 100 x 10
    2 sets of 120 x 15

Alt. hammer curls: 2 sets of 15 x 10

Triceps pull-downs: 2 sets of 40 x 15

Core:

50 bicycles
    50 good morning darlings
    2 sets of 25 side crunches
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Gym + Yoga, Tuesday, Oct. 6

by , October 6th, 2009 at 05:12 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

hanging reverse crunches, 3 x 15
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    bicycles, 2 x 50
    rack chins, 3 x 15
    (love these!)
    burpees with push up and air squat, 2 x 10 (These are exhausting!)

squats on FM machine (had to play around with weight), 190 x 1 x 5, 210 x 1 x 5, 230 x 1 x 5, 250 x 1 x 5, 270 x 1 x 5
    bicep curl w/BB, 50 x 5 x 5
    standing lat pulldown, 150 x 5 x 5
    leg extensions, 110 x 1 x 5, 120 x 3 x 5

external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm

Hot Yoga:

Day #2 of the hot yoga experiment. Wow, it was much easier today and I tolerated the heat much better. I didn't have the urge to sprint out of the room after 60 minutes or the uncomfortable feeling that my face might blow up. I also went through 3 bottles of water.

I definitely like the heat for stretching. And the hot yoga poses don't unduly put pressure on the shoulders, which is nice (and unlike other forms of yoga). But I'm still rather klutzy in terms of balance. I think it takes awhile to acquires this skill.

One odd thing I noticed today is that, after weights, it is somewhat difficult to constantly be holding your arms over your head in streamline position. However, this is the one thing I can do better than the yoginis. lol

More yoga-kinis than ever today. And some dude did 2 back to back classes ...

I still wish it wasn't such a time drain.

Did a quick search about calorie burning and found these links:

http://www.bikram-yoga-noosa-austral...s-and-yoga.htm

Hard to believe it's comparable to jogging in terms of calories burned. Of course, jogging is not running either ...

Here are a list of the reported/supposed benefits:

Some of the benefits of Bikram Yoga:

Works every organ, gland, nerve, tendon, ligament and muscle in the whole body every Bikram Yoga session
    Expands your capacity to breathe deeply and fully
    Prevents injury and may prevent or improve chronic illness
    Promotes better sleep, you may even need to sleep less
    Fabulous body toning effects
    Weight loss or gain depending on your body's needs
    Improvement in posture and body awareness
    Improve the healing and regenerative powers of your body
    Improvement in T-cell function and your immune system
    Improvement in your lymphatic system
    Lengthening and strengthening of muscles
    Increased flexibility
    Improvement in peripheral circulation
    Improvement in metabolism / digestion
    Gives the body a cardiovascular workout without negative impacting forces
    Nervous system is exercised
    Endocrine and exocrine glands are massaged and stimulated to better function
    Muscular and skeletal network are enhanced
    Weight bearing exercise will help prevent osteoporosis
    Improves heart and lung function
    Improves back conditions of pain and misalignment
    Improves flexibility of your spine in its range of motion in all directions allowing the improvement in function of your central nervous system. Better nervous system communication means a better functioning body and mind
    Helps cultivate a sense of well being and a more peaceful mind
    Integration of both sides of the brain to improve memory, learning, body coordination and balance
    Builds mental strength and teaches you to hold your mind in a focused and meditative state

Freestyle/GoSwim:

Saw this on Glenn's FB page:

http://www.stumbleupon.com/s/#2YyCwp...up-catch.html/

I know my own head is certainly elevated some, though I recall ehoch saying there is absolutely nothing good about this type of head position.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hoping to go to the gym and pool tomorrow, though I have a couple other obligations. We'll see how fast I can move ...

Mini Fort got her third game ball in volleyball last night. I fear her serious swimming days may be numbered ... she thinks volleyball is just "more fun." My littlest one, on the other hand, continues to be enamored with swimming. And it is fairly comical to watch her attempt to learn flip turns.

Updated October 6th, 2009 at 05:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  4. Short but fast

by , October 6th, 2009 at 04:45 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Tuesday, 10/6/09

SCY, solo

500 swim free and back

Kick w/MF: 5x100 on 2:00: smooth first 50, ALL OUT 2nd 50
    (Alternated back, side, back, side, back; on back went 1:10, on side 1:15)
    100 easy

swim 2 sets of 5x50 on 1:00 (1 min. rest between sets):
    set 1: drill/swim by 25
    (did fly/free/back/free/breast on rd 1)
    set 2: descend to FAST, but start at about 80-85%, so they're all hard.
    (did fly (38) /free (33) /back (37) /free (35) /back (38) on rd 2)

swim down 300 free and back.

Total: 1900 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Out of Idaho

by , October 6th, 2009 at 11:14 AM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Back to my own little corner of civilization, such as it is, with clothes now dry but not my nose.

I am not sure how exactly I came into contact with a rhinovirus in the middle of Idaho's nowhere, but apparently I did, and I am back to my sickliness and malaise.

One of the most interesting facets of being alone in the wilderness is how quickly one realizes that whining is literally a waste of breath when there is no one to whine to. I suggest amending the old chestnut about trees falling in the woods, and whether or not such make sounds if no one hears it.

Does Jim's whining in the forest make a sound if there is no one there to hear it?

Unlike the Zen-like precursor question upon which this one is loosely based, the Jim Whining: Noise or Not? Conundrum does have an actual answer.

No, Jim's whining does NOT make a sound in the forest.

Babbling, on the other hand, might be a little different.

My babbling began some time after the third day, when the weather started to turn nippy, and clouds mottled the previously unbroken cerulean heavens.

It started with me singing a medley of songs with no apparent transition between them oh we love to go a'wandering along the mountain treks, yodelay, yodelee! a'waltzing Matilda with me, and we loaded up our bilabongs and kookaberry sat on his old Dan Tucker!

And from this music the babbling only intensified and has gotten a hold on me ever since returning to swim two days later in an overheated 25 m pool in the boonies of Pennsylvania oil country yodelay yodelee! and then the next day after our practice of 4,000 pitiless yards through the high grass country losing the trail here and there I remembered the spirit who guided me safely through the wilderness, my only cranially gifted friend, in this he was somewhat different from my two walking stick companions whom I named Hayzeus and H.G. for the one sitteth on my right hand and the other on my left...yodelay, yodelee!

...but fevers doused with flooding toddies of Nyquil do eventually break, and I suppose today's vlog will simply serve as a sop to my fans and a teaser of footage I hope to come but for now let me just include a few quick pix of me in my hypothermic lonely despair and the spirit god of the wolverine who provided me inspiration when the hours were darkest....

there is admittedly some controversy about the species nature of my spirit god--some (i.e., hunters, woodsmen, naturalists, and scientists) claim he is a coyote whose skull has been prominently punctured by a gunshot as evidenced by the small hole on the right side of his brainpan and the larger one on the the left) while others (me) maintain this is the skull of Old Man Wolverine himself, who has taken me under his savage claw and will protect me from evil here ever after.

You decide.

Exhaustion sets in

A man and his spirit god compare dentition

When I prove incapable of making sense of the map, my spirit god offers to take a look and offer directional advice provided I lend him my reading glasses. (Note what some "experts" claim is an exit wound behind his left orbital socket. I prefer to think of this as the channel through which Old Man Wolverine's etherous vapours could easily flow into my own worried and alleged soul, comforting me in that way only Old Men Wolverines can.)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Tuesday OCTOBER 6th, 2009 50 BK 23.50

by , October 6th, 2009 at 10:32 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tuesday OCTOBER 6th, 2009

Next MEET:
    2009 SPMA Short Course Meters Championships
    December 4th - 6th, 2009 at Long Beach
    http://www.spma.net/meetforms/2009/lbgscm.htm

58 Days till Long Beach

Weights
    leg press 8 x 230 8 x 320 6 x 410

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY no blocks
    6:30 - 8:00
    whitney coached
    UT Swim Center main pool
    dove in on time
    Swam with Nate, larry, & Mike
    beside Max tyler todd & ned

WORE briefs

Warm-up
    3 rounds of 400 followed by 3 x 50

Main Set

assigned 20 x 100 on 1:45
    inx 25 fast no free 75 at 5k pace 10 swim 10 with fins
    did: 20 x 25 fast 25 easy
    alternated FL & SDK
    held 11's on fly 12's on bk SDK

assigned 400
    did 200 easy

4 x 25 fl on 30 inx 4 strokes fast

assigned 300
    did 100

4 x 25 bk on 30 inx 4 strokes fast

assigned 200
    did skipped

rested up

put on B70 legs

50 BK fast
    roll start
    went 23.5

50 easy
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. GR!

I find it greatly irritating that I am already sick again. For now it's just a sore throat and a bit of a chest cold. So annoying though.

I got into the pool a bit late and didn't swim much since my stroke was feeling crappy and I want to swim the rest of the week and be healthy for more than a couple of days. My plan was to take it easy and I did.

500 free
    5 x 100 kick (I think I did 6)
    6 x 50 1-3 drill/swim, 4-6 descend (there were 10 of these)

Then basically I swam a little bit more trying to figure out why my stroke which has felt awesome now feels like crap. Not a stellar workout. IF my lungs are still functioning and I'm not too tired AND I get out of work at a reasonable hour I'm planning on a 2 mile run when I get home just to enjoy the cold, rainy fall day ...

I did book my flight this morning to go to the Long Beach meet!! Super excited about that! I'm bummed we can only swim 6 events so I'm going to have to figure what I want to do besides the 50/100/200 free and 50 fly ... dare I swim that evil 100 fly again?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Sprints with a sore shoulder

by , October 6th, 2009 at 07:43 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Well the right shoulder is acting up alittle but I did not baby it at all. Did not feel fast and even needed alittle correction on my stroke today from a coach and friend Walt.

2x300@5:00 Free
    10x25@1:00 Sprint 4 fly, 3 back, 2 breast, 1 free held 19 on fly, 21 on back, 25 on breast and 16 on free the back was sluggish and the breast felt flat yuck
    100@3:00 IM FAST went 1:30
    2x200@5:00 Free 1/2 pull 1/2 kick
    8x50@1:15 2 of each stroke IM order Walt corrected my breast here and second one felt more normal
    14x25@:45 Free kick every 3rd 25 FAST held 24's on fast
    100@3:00 Free FAST went 1:15
    8x25@:45 Free kick every other 25 FAST held 24's on fast
    2x50@1:30 Free FAST went :36 and :35
    4x25@:45 Free kick FAST held 25's
    4x25@:45 Free FAST held :17's
    400 Free every 4th 25 choice of drill

Will be workout out the knots in my muscles today since that is usually what causes my shoulder issues.

This workout may become used more often in my rotation as I am focusing on the sprints this year. Change of pace. I used to be a good sprinter but had the sprint trained out of me so now I am trying to change that. I shall see at Nationals.

Total 3100 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized