Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by magick17
    jennP..don't tell her!! Let it go!!
    She goes to Bridgeville. I am going to keep assuming that one is 25 yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by magick17
    It was awesome back then...they probably need to demo and rebuild...
    Yep, they do! It is really old and crappy. Even the equipment is old and dirty. The only thing that appears to have been redone is the cycle room. The showers give me the creeps; I never use them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    That's LA Fitness for you. Actually, I think this is an old Bally. It's what I would call a complete sty. I only go there because it does not involve driving and I do a lot of driving. Sometimes, convenience is everything.
    that place is 30 years old...my mom would drag me there when I was 10..( she told me to lie and tell the guards I was 13) so she could workout upstairs and I would lap swim to keep myself busy during her aerobics class.....its was awesome back then...they probably need to demo and rebuild...
    Quote Originally Posted by jpetyk
    Really??? 23.6 yards??? WTF?? Is that Bridgeville or Village Square? I need to go back and rethink things.

I have a friend training for Key West, thinking she's putting in 13K at LAF.
    jennP..don't tell her!! Let it go!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Indeed! That's just f'd up.
    That's LA Fitness for you. Actually, I think this is an old Bally. It's what I would call a complete sty. I only go there because it does not involve driving and I do a lot of driving. Sometimes, convenience is everything.
    Really??? 23.6 yards??? WTF?? Is that Bridgeville or Village Square? I need to go back and rethink things.

It's the one in Bethel Park right by the Bed, Bath & Beyond. I think they call that Village Square.
    Really??? 23.6 yards??? WTF??
    Indeed! That's just f'd up.

glad to hear that
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    iHopefully with some rest after Boston his blood work will return to normal.

I think ink you did the right thing with all your personal challenges, although we definitely missed you. Hopefully there will be a next time.
    Rest?! My husband doesn't rest. He doesn't even take a day off. He's super compulsive. I look like a lazy idler in comparison.

Thanks for the good wishes. Hopefully, the blood work will be better when he re-does it at the hematologist's.

I missed you guys too. It was a bit sad over the weekend watching the racing and not being there.
    Really happy for you and Mr. Fort. That had to have been scary. I hope everything else turns out well for him.
    i second Patrick's wishes and I too am so happy for you and Mr a Fort that it's not the dreaded Big C. Hopefully with some rest after Boston his blood work will return to normal.

I think ink you did the right thing with all your personal challenges, although we definitely missed you. Hopefully there will be a next time.
    Really happy for you and Mr. Fort. That had to have been scary. I hope everything else turns out well for him.
    Thanks Patrick. Yes, it was a huge relief.
    Awesome! I heard the news reports and it certainly didn't sound like optimal race weather. Glad he rocked it.
    The weather was pretty awful. Even the elite times were slower this year as compared to last year.

Mr. Fort had remarkably consistent splits. He had no fade at the end, which is rare. It's so odd: he's a distance geek and I'm a drop dead sprinter -- nothing in common athletically speaking.
    Mr. Fort had a great marathon. He was hoping to get under 3:40 and ran 3:37, which is good for a hilly course. He was also freezing from the rain; he has no body fat. That time should be a BQ for next year. He's never gotten a BQ at Boston before.
    Awesome! I heard the news reports and it certainly didn't sound like optimal race weather. Glad he rocked it.
    Leslie,

I just caught up on your blog and will miss seeing you in San Antonio, but it certainly sounds like the right decision for you with all that is going on personally and with Mr. Fort. Hopefully, I'll see you in Greensboro 2016!
    Yeah, I think it's the only decision at this point.

I am going to try to encourage my swimmers to go to Greensboro next year in lieu of Zones!
    Leslie,

I just caught up on your blog and will miss seeing you in San Antonio, but it certainly sounds like the right decision for you with all that is going on personally and with Mr. Fort. Hopefully, I'll see you in Greensboro 2016!
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    Leslie, so sorry about your travails this spring season. One of the few silver linings I've found when I swim disappointing times at big meets where I'd hope to do well is that it sets a nice bar for the NEXT year's big meet! You are too young yet for age to be taking a huge toll, but it does--ever so slightly--begin making improvement difficult, followed by making just holding on to your recent times difficult, followed by the bending curve down. The key, I think, is to beat this curve of decay by rotting at a slightly less determined pace than nature intends you to! That's why bad meets aren't entirely bad--again, they set a lower bar for you to make the next time around.

You are a magnificent swimmer and trendsetter and you are ENTIRELY TOO HARD ON YOURSELF!

You go, girl, and have fun doing so.
    I am not deterred and will continue to try to rot at an extremely gradual pace! It's been a tough year on the whole, especially with the RC tear last fall. Zones wasn't really my focus meet; it was more of a tune up for nationals. But sometimes one gets knocked off course. I still have some solid times from the Auburn meet last February.

The one continuing point of frustration for me is Pittsburgh. I feel like I need to race more often, and the Y meets just don't appeal.
    Leslie, so sorry about your travails this spring season. One of the few silver linings I've found when I swim disappointing times at big meets where I'd hope to do well is that it sets a nice bar for the NEXT year's big meet! You are too young yet for age to be taking a huge toll, but it does--ever so slightly--begin making improvement difficult, followed by making just holding on to your recent times difficult, followed by the bending curve down. The key, I think, is to beat this curve of decay by rotting at a slightly less determined pace than nature intends you to! That's why bad meets aren't entirely bad--again, they set a lower bar for you to make the next time around.

You are a magnificent swimmer and trendsetter and you are ENTIRELY TOO HARD ON YOURSELF!

You go, girl, and have fun doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    I am happy to report that Fort's hives are really not contagious, after sitting next to her most of the meet and using her ninja-massage tool! You did swim well; your 50 free really reaffirmed that the underwater is what it's all about. Even with a tough finish, that is a super awesome time! I really do believe you are capable of under 24; it's just a matter of being healthy, being 100% engaged with that i'm-ready-to-chew-glass (or alternatively, that i'm-ready-to-break-this-beer-bottle-on-my forehead) really crazy pysched swim! And it was good for you to come to the meet - it's a long stretch without racing, and there's nothing like actually suiting up. I think it really helped for you to see friends, coach, and get in at least a few swims. Shopping IS fun!!!!

Take care of yourself, and hope you fully recover soon!!!
    In short course, UWs are key. Did you notice that at NCAAs the 50 free winner Caleb Dressel had the longest underwaters off the start and turn? I think I just need to race 50 free more often, but it's difficult with the lack of meets here.

I am usually strictly an online shopper these days bc I dislike malls. But it is nice to have some new things. And they are not all black!

And it is fun being a coach!
Page 1 of 860 123451151101501 ... LastLast