Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I just didn't fancy showing up at nationals and swimming poorly.
    Makes sense.
    I know an OW swim maybe you might like. It's closest thing OW, to sprinting I can think of. There's a structure about 40m from shore in a out 10 feet of clear water, and the wooden platform just happens to be very similar to a starting block. I did a few workouts there doing several AFAP blasts with easy backstroke back to the structure. If you ever stop by Aruba.

But for the general OW swimming I've tried, it's not for me as well. After a few minutes I would be 90 degrees off target and would furthermore have to roll on my back because my shoulders are toasted.

Just moving around recreationally with fins and snorkel is more fun
    Updated August 18th, 2014 at 04:02 PM by __steve__
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    I was surprised to see your daughter's name in the Nationals results and not yours. I would have thought that pool would be ideal for you: indoors, same time zone. How come you didn't attend?
    Ali only decided at the last minute to swim. She's still recovering from shoulder surgery and still in pain and is not swimming much.

I do love that pool -- one of my favorites. I didn't sign up bc I figured I'd be too out of shape after goofing off for awhile and then being out of the water for 17 days. Plus, our beach rental started the Sat of nationals. In retrospect, I prolly could have done a couple 50s. I just didn't fancy showing up at nationals and swimming poorly.
    I was surprised to see your daughter's name in the Nationals results and not yours. I would have thought that pool would be ideal for you: indoors, same time zone. How come you didn't attend?
    Very sorry for your loss. My condolences
    Thanks Tim and Patrick. My mom has a pool in her community too, but I suspect I will want to head over to the Oro valley pool. I don't really want to venture too far or be gone too long, so I will keep it short and simple.
    I am sorry, too, for your loss.

Oro Valley is definitely the best pool in the greater Tucson area, so I would highly recommend it for working out by yourself. If you can get down to the U of A (20-30 minutes from Oro Valley) to swim with their Masters team, that will be your best group to workout with. Saddlebrooke has a great and enthusiastic team, but if think you would not find the right training partners there for you.
    Sorry to hear about your loss
    Even if he was ill, it is still rough.

Check with PWB on the Oro Valley pool. I think he swam at a Masters meet there early this year. I think there's a masters group that swims there. Regardless, the pool has rather generous hours (at least from what I can see):
    http://www.orovalleyaz.gov/aquatics/hours-operation

There's also a masters group in Saddlebrook, a little further north of Oro Valley:
    http://www.saddlebrookeswimclub.org/

If you let me know when you'll be in town, maybe I'll take a trip down.
    Thanks guys. He was ill, and we knew it was coming. But still it's quite sad. Hopefully, I can get in the water out there.
    Have a safe trip. Sorry for the reason for the visit.
    Sorry to hear about your stepdad. You should check with Jeff Commings. I bet he'd know the best spots to swim in Tucson.
    So sorry for you loss.
    Nice North Park experience with mither!
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    its pathetic isn't it. Lol
    It's the actor side of you that creates meet drama. It can work for or against you depending on the circumstances. You had a great day 1; you really did. You should have a smile on your face after 2 PRs and bling.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    It is ridiculous that they don't have World's up on Meet Mobile or a real-time results site. Heck, they should have a live stream going in this day and age.
    Exactly. It's just awful, and frustrating for the many many masters swimmers who would like to follow the meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Are you changing your focus to longer? You've really been racking up the distance lately. You should think of doing the 5k o/w with me in PA on 8/24.

I have just a normal stopwatch that I keep in a Ziplock freezer bag in my swimming bag. If I'm at a pool that doesn't have a pace clock, I leave it on deck (use a flip flop or something to prop it up). Or when I've done my longer swims, I use it to time, since I can never seem to remember when I leave, with an analog clock at least.

Glad to hear that Mark did well in his 100! Hope to see a post about it. It makes me think of sitting near him at that BU meet last year, watching what he goes through in his pre/post event stuff. Are you watching his dog while they're out of town?
    No not changing focus, just taking some time to work more on 100s than 50s.

Are you saying Mark is a basket case?! heehee. He is one of the only people who would say a PR is "definitely disappointing." I think he will like that time next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    It is ridiculous that they don't have World's up on Meet Mobile or a real-time results site. Heck, they should have a live stream going in this day and age.
    It's called SplashMe and it's terrible!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Glad to hear that Mark did well in his 100! Hope to see a post about it. It makes me think of sitting near him at that BU meet last year, watching what he goes through in his pre/post event stuff. Are you watching his dog while they're out of town?
    its pathetic isn't it. Lol
    Are you changing your focus to longer? You've really been racking up the distance lately. You should think of doing the 5k o/w with me in PA on 8/24.

I have just a normal stopwatch that I keep in a Ziplock freezer bag in my swimming bag. If I'm at a pool that doesn't have a pace clock, I leave it on deck (use a flip flop or something to prop it up). Or when I've done my longer swims, I use it to time, since I can never seem to remember when I leave, with an analog clock at least.

Page 1 of 846 123451151101501 ... LastLast