Blog Comments

That water temp does sound horrible, no less for a workout. Looks like you didn't stick to intervals, which is a good thing in that bathtub.
    My community pool here is probably similar. The few times I've gone, I just swim a little, lounge a little, and drink plenty of water.

You've done stand up paddle boarding, haven't you?
    You might end up in the water a little, so dress to tolerate that.
    I think you've been going to the gym and doing box jumps and such? Otherwise, your legs may be sore for a few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Super swims and long course - way to go Leslie (can't open the links 'til I get home due to company security block). That pool seems like a worthwhile trip. Enjoy OBX, my fav beach.
    Thanks Bill. U of Md is definitely one of my favorite pools, and they now even have the fin blocks.
    Super swims and long course - way to go Leslie (can't open the links 'til I get home due to company security block). That pool seems like a worthwhile trip. Enjoy OBX, my fav beach.
    Quote Originally Posted by joel schmaltz
    Congrats and Happy Birthday! Great videos and loved hearing your personal cheering squad. Enjoy your beach week. Behave or don't get caught.
    Thanks Joel! I do love the "go Mom" cheers in the background. I fully intent to have some fun and relaxation.
    Congrats and Happy Birthday! Great videos and loved hearing your personal cheering squad. Enjoy your beach week. Behave or don't get caught.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Martin
    Way to go, Leslie. Great swims, enjoyed the videos. It's very neat that with your training you have been able to swim fast times and break WRs mid-season.
    Thanks Doug. Hmm as I think about it, those times were the result of only about a month of half assed training after CN -- I should be really happy. A few days rest was all that was warranted. And they were still off my best times by a margin. Getting older no doubt.

I am convinced that Russell's prescription of 25s only for long course 50s is just not right. You need more sprint endurance to hang for the entire 50 meters.

Good luck in Oregon! How's your training going? You haven't been blogging ...
    Updated July 12th, 2016 at 04:30 PM by The Fortress
    Way to go, Leslie. Great swims, enjoyed the videos. It's very neat that with your training you have been able to swim fast times and break WRs mid-season.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Wow, those are fantastic swims!!!!

Hope you get to enjoy some well-deserved beach time

Are you doing the LCM meet at Texas A&M in a few weeks? I haven't registered for it, but I guess I still can...
    Thanks Tim! I had been planning on that meet. But I am weary of traveling for meets and meets in general. So I promised myself that if I did well at the Terrapin meet, that would be it for the summer. And my beach week overlaps with the Texas meet anyway.
    Wow, those are fantastic swims!!!!

Hope you get to enjoy some well-deserved beach time

Are you doing the LCM meet at Texas A&M in a few weeks? I haven't registered for it, but I guess I still can...
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    I am sorry to hear about your cat. We have two of them and they are part of the family.

Your family did a good job caring for him if he was 18! Cats understand the love you provide them
    Thanks Steve. Pets are definitely part of the fam.
    I am sorry to hear about your cat. We have two of them and they are part of the family.

Your family did a good job caring for him if he was 18! Cats understand the love you provide them
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    The men's 200 breast final was a great race! I was thinking the fight would be between Prenot and Licon for 2nd, with Cordes maintaining control of the race for first. Seeing Prenot pull ahead of Cordes in that last 50 was impressive! Will Tom Shields do something similar in the 100 Fly?

I saw an interview with Grevers where he said something about the younger swimmers not leaving any room for him. He seemed upset and that's understandable.
    Phillips looked great in the 100 fly semis.

Now on Grever's FB page, it says he is not retired. Natalie did not retire either. She appears to be over trained/underrested from her interview.
    The men's 200 breast final was a great race! I was thinking the fight would be between Prenot and Licon for 2nd, with Cordes maintaining control of the race for first. Seeing Prenot pull ahead of Cordes in that last 50 was impressive! Will Tom Shields do something similar in the 100 Fly?

I saw an interview with Grevers where he said something about the younger swimmers not leaving any room for him. He seemed upset and that's understandable.
    I think some of the older swimmers -- Coughlin, Grevers, Lochte, etc -- aren't rested enuf. It's probably a scary thing to rest as much as they should. Sort of uncharted coaching territory with the advent of the older pro swimmers.
    In some cases it seems like a few or the older swimmers and their coaches figured out what was really possible and went after it, accounting for age, recovery, competition. In other cases it seems like they did not figure it out. We hear/talk about a team being out coached in other sports and maybe we're seeing that in swimming too.

I almost bought tix to Omaha when they first went on sale and had them up on my computer, but paused and decided I would wait to see if trials in 2020 might be at a more interesting location or at least close to something.

The swimming has been really interesting and I'm sorry I didn't go. Try to sneak into the OT pool or something - that might liven things up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    her underwaters were horrible. Rowdy was saying it's her back trouble but I think you're right. I don't think she was performing nearly well enough this season to really have expected any different result. Very disappointing for me but not nearly as disappointed as almost every TV sponsor out there who will now have to reshoot commercials.

Based on what I've seen so far, I don't think he's going to make it in the 200IM either. His walls are a work of art. Too bad the Olympics are SCM

It sure is and I am so jealous
    Franklin is just in decline. Not everyone can stay at superstar status for years. If she keeps swimming after trials, she has got to do something different training wise.

I was a bit sad about Coughlin. She had a great year last year and went in as the #1 seed. Then swam like crap.

I'm still hoping for Lochte in the 200 IM. He doesn't look fully tapered either tho, going in season times.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    and, for me, swim nerd jealousy! I have managed to contort my professional and personal life to be able to watch finals each night so far on the app (because they tape-delay on TV) and have loved it, but, someday, I want to be there. And, as much as I enjoyed Omaha when we got to swim Nationals there in '12, I'm hoping some city a bit more interesting outside of the pool gets to host in '20!
    Yeah there is really nothing to do in Omaha. Quite dull. But I can't imagine the traffic if they held trials in a real city.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    I was satisfied with the final of the men's 100 back! Someone might have done a partial taper in that heat. Only Phelps can get away with a partial taper at Olympic Trials or Lochte four years ago. Glad you found a place to swim during trials. Great Commentary with some swimming dish.
    I was happy to see the new guard move in as well. Jacob Pebley dropped a ton of time. I like him for the #2 spot in the 200 back.

The Adams temporary DQ made prelims exciting. As well as the men's 200 breast.
    1. Swimmers who apparently did partial tapers aren't doing that well. This seems to include Franklin. Her starts are always bad, but her first 25 of the 100 back last night seemed sub elite. Why she thought she could do a partial taper after her fairly poor showing last year is beyond me. I wonder if the transition to being a pro swimmer, with all the attendant commitments, was too taxing?
    her underwaters were horrible. Rowdy was saying it's her back trouble but I think you're right. I don't think she was performing nearly well enough this season to really have expected any different result. Very disappointing for me but not nearly as disappointed as almost every TV sponsor out there who will now have to reshoot commercials.

Lochte ... I'm not sure training with SwimMac was great for the 400 IM. And the effort from trying to contest it may tire him for his other events. He should make the team in the 200 free based on recent times, but I have a bad feeling about it. His walls are like a magic trick.
    Based on what I've seen so far, I don't think he's going to make it in the 200IM either. His walls are a work of art. Too bad the Olympics are SCM

Swim nerd heaven!
    It sure is and I am so jealous
    Swim nerd heaven!
    and, for me, swim nerd jealousy! I have managed to contort my professional and personal life to be able to watch finals each night so far on the app (because they tape-delay on TV) and have loved it, but, someday, I want to be there. And, as much as I enjoyed Omaha when we got to swim Nationals there in '12, I'm hoping some city a bit more interesting outside of the pool gets to host in '20!
Page 1 of 887 123451151101501 ... LastLast