Blog Comments

It was a great meet and lots of fun (at least for those of us who did not do 500fly)! Now, what do I have to do to get some of those stroopwafels?
    Spent a whole hour in the pool today!
    Woo Hoo!
    That was actually very helpful. You're right about having air in the lungs making it easier to float. The buoy helps too.

Thank you!!!
    Good luck on the roads tomorrow and have a great time at the clinic.
    Nice job on that fly!
    Hi Lucy,

The Shark swim that I do is a little different than the freestyle drill that you are looking for help with. I was able to find a video that might help with the drill

I think one of the keys to this drill is having a strong enough kick to stay horizontal on the water, and the ability to have air in the lungs to help with buoyancy. I would suggest making sure that your body returns to horizontal when you are in the "fin" stage. Also, using a pull buoy for the extra flotation might help keep you body from sinking.

I hope that this helps you out
    Updated March 28th, 2015 at 11:39 PM by rxleakem
    Hi,

I'm really struggling with the shark swim drill and looking for some pointers. Any advice would be great. Here's what I'm doing: I start on one side with arm extended under water, the other arm above water resting on my side-drag my finger tips through the water leading with elbow. I start to sink when fingers reach my waist. Either the top half sinks or whole body.

Thanks,
    Lucy
    That picture cracks me up!
    Opps, :20 seconds rest
    Nothing too hard....I would say 50s on 20 is hard
    It's seriously called Mt. Snow?
    Looks like you got a decent swim in, so I hope that means you're feeling better.
    This might be dubbed the Winter of Sickness and Snow (or Sickness of Snow? Coldness and Colds?) since there's been so much of both this year.
    There is nothing quite like the beauty of snow. Having to move it from one place to another gets old! haha

I enjoy it the weather in any event, although jbs has been pounded with more snow than me. I need to be my snowblower fixed ...
    I don't miss the snow
    Don't forget the few hundred yards you did diving down and repositioning the GoPro! Hope you're feeling better.
    A "Noah's Ark" is a type of fartlek set, where you swim a straight 500 as ...
    25 easy/25 fast
    50 easy/50 fast
    75 easy/75 fast
    100 easy/100 fast
    (get it? 2 x 2 ...)
    It's a great way to keep track of distance and a nice mix of swimming fast then getting a little rest. I find it helpful for OW training in order to be prepared for speed changes, etc. Plus, a simple way to bang out a 500.
    Do I dare ask what a "Noah's Ark pull" is?
    Good old Linus. After a day of crazed present opening, it's nice someone remembers...
    Dinner went well, with everyone well fed and some great memories by the end of the evening. Lena and I even made it downtown to see the high school's adaptation of A Christmas Carol. A great day!
    Regarding your previous post, you seem to be motivating people to do all kinds of things. I enjoyed the men's group, too (and not just because I got a great free CD out of it!)

Today's practice was a hoot; that may be the only caroling I do this year; and I kind of consider it the official start of Christmas celebrations (well, that and also the Christmas cookie bake-off that my mom and I do each year, which we started last week).

Will try to have a complete Christmas song memorized by next year.

Hope your dinner went well. And thanks for the treats!
Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast