Blog Comments

Best wishes Colleen for good times at the swim meet this weekend!
    Good luck, Colleen!
    Good luck at the meet this weekend - hope you catch a break b4 the 100 fly or at least there are a few heats in the 2IM. Will have to watch for the next meet at that the new OC Y pool.
    the 6x 50s on .45
    the 150s kick were on 3.00
    Updated January 5th, 2013 at 01:09 PM by Colleen Marais
    You're doing these from a push? I'm impressed!
    Haha very true!
    Team cold! I hate swimming in hot water - I over heat, I get nauseated, I turn red and then purple... Nothing worse than trying to do a distance set in a bathtub.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colleen Marais
    Thanks ekw, I am ok, but will never stay in the area through something like this again even though our home was not right by the water, our home is in Manahawkin (in a non-bay area). But it seems like everyone in NJ got hammered. The wind sounded like tornadoes coming through. The boats piled everywhere on the roads around here, homes gone is just shocking from the pictures. My parents have a summer beach home on long beach island like 8 mins from where i live, and we heard it is fine luckily due to beach replenishment we JUST had pre-summer. All of my best friends I had growing up were from LBI, people I ocean lifeguarded with and we've had some good news for a few so far. So many people lost so much, so I am thinking of everyone at this time.
    I'm glad to hear that. I grew up in Central NJ and it took a while to hear from my dad (my mom is out of town so she missed it). There's no power and a lot of stuff came down, but fortunately none of it was on our house or cars.

A ton of people I went to high school with live in Hoboken and have had a lot of damage. We used to vacation in Seaside Heights and it's so sad to see how much damage they had.

I live on the Alabama Gulf Coast now, which is traditionally hurricane country, and people are really jaded about evacuating. My attitude is that if they say to get out, I'm taking the pets and a few possessions I value most and getting out. The problem with this is that the university I work for waits until the last minute to make decisions and I've been told that evacuation routes are totally clogged by then. The only storm I've been here for was Isaac earlier this summer and that hit to the west of us, though the folks by the gulf, bay, and rivers had a lot flooding.

Anyway, really glad to hear you are okay and I am definitely thinking about everyone affected by the storm.
    Thanks ekw, I am ok, but will never stay in the area through something like this again even though our home was not right by the water, our home is in Manahawkin (in a non-bay area). But it seems like everyone in NJ got hammered. The wind sounded like tornadoes coming through. The boats piled everywhere on the roads around here, homes gone is just shocking from the pictures. My parents have a summer beach home on long beach island like 8 mins from where i live, and we heard it is fine luckily due to beach replenishment we JUST had pre-summer. All of my best friends I had growing up were from LBI, people I ocean lifeguarded with and we've had some good news for a few so far. So many people lost so much, so I am thinking of everyone at this time.
    Hi Colleen, I hope you are weathering the storm okay. Scary stuff!
    Eek!!!

Maybe you should work up gradually to that much yardage? Give your shoulders a chance to adjust? (Though I honestly don't think those sets are helpful for 50/100 fly.)
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    FYI - My parents had a second home in Forked River, so I have also been to Toms River often, but never to the Ocean County YMCA.
    Hi Fdtotten! Yeah if you are ever traveling in the area again, you should definitley check the pool out at the OCY, its got a 12 lane pool and a 6 lane pool in another room which I think is pretty awesome, I've never been to a pool like that other than meets in Rutgers. So nice not to be crowded in
    As you already know from your previous experiences, consistency is the key. Whatever the workout agenda, volume, or technical focus, just keeping at it over days, weeks, months and then years lead to fitness, results, and fun. Only now you are not a growing young swimming in HS or College.... FYI - My parents had a second home in Forked River, so I have also been to Toms River often, but never to the Ocean County YMCA. The monster set; I have never done a 14-10K set, and would likely fail on my own, but could certainly step up to it with another participant or two. For sure, I was always in awe of Mike Bruner's sub minute pace the a 10K SCY swim under Bill Rose in the early 1970's
    I swim on my own, not exactly by choice since there aren't any well organized masters teams with regular practices here. I guess there used to be one affiliated with the one USA-S team in town but it seems to have fizzled.

There are things I like about swimming alone, like having my own lane and having total control over my workout, but I would definitely be more motivated if I were being held accountable. Also, I don't really know what I'm doing with workouts and I'm sure there are much more effective things I could be doing.

We are in the process of organizing a masters club at my university, but we won't be doing organized practices at the start. But it will be a lot more fun to know people at the meets and be able to do relays.

Even if there were an organized team in town, I probably wouldn't do it right now because the Rec at the university costs me $10 a month as faculty, and it is a palace. (The pool isn't the greatest but it's not terrible, and the cardio theater, weights, classes, rock wall, etc. are awesome. There are actually two pools and the outdoor goof off pool does a pretty good job of keeping the "real" pool for us serious people. ) I really couldn't justify spending more per month at this point while I have other things to pay off.
    It's so nice to be able to practice with a team. That's one reason I got started swimming with the local USAS team this year. I was swimming with a masters team, or should I say swam "alongside them" during their practice. I just had a hard time doing workouts on my own day after day, even at lap swims at the YMCA. I'm having so much more fun with the team environment, even though the practices are kicking my butt!

Just give it a little time, I'm sure you're body is just acclimating to it's new workout that you're restarting now with the swimming. After a couple of months, you'll be asking for more!
    Hahaha ekw and Fortress, I totally have to agree with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    I don't mind how my shoulders look, but trying to fit them into into a bridesmaids dress without having to spend a fortune on alterations?
    Everything else gets bigger with swimming too. I resented having to buy an entire new wardrobe!

Thanks Karl!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    The "fairer gender" looks better with broad shoulders than its members appear to believe.
    I don't mind how my shoulders look, but trying to fit them into into a bridesmaids dress without having to spend a fortune on alterations?
    Swimming puts on weight and gives you huge shoulders. The only downside.
    The "fairer gender" looks better with broad shoulders than its members appear to believe.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast