Name: Betsy Durrant
Nominated for: BOD Member from Colonies Zone
After chairing the Governance Task Force, I decided to run for a position on the Board of Directors three years ago because I wanted to be involved in implementing the new governance structure. The new structure involves a larger Executive Committee and a smaller, more active Board of Directors. So far, I think the structure is working well. However, we still have not fully worked out the role of the Executive Director. I would like to continue in this position while the BOD works with a new Executive Director to fully implement our new governance format. I am also involved with a project to compile USMS Policy that I would like to complete.
Response to Questions
Why are you interested in this position and why do you believe you would be a good candidate?
This is an important time for USMS as we continue our transition into the new governance format. I believe I have contributions to make as a member of the BOD. I am chairing a BOD committee on Policy and would like to complete this project.
What do you consider to be the major issues facing USMS now and in the future? As a person holding an elected position within USMS, how would you address these issues?
Hiring an Executive Director and transitioning to a more professionally run administration is an important issue. At the same time, the BOD must assist the LMSCs and clubs to be productive and to serve our members. We cannot rely on paid staff to do everything, our leaders must be involved with local issues. I am president of my team and edit a monthly newsletter for my team and for my LMSC. I work hard to be in touch with our members.
Please list USMS committees on which you have served. Include the dates you were on the committees and the names of the committee chairs under whom you served:
- Zone Committee. 1986-1991. Colonies Zone Rep. Zone Chairs: Dory Schwab, Edie Gruender, Pat Maley.
- Executive Committee. 1991-1995. Zone Chair. Presidents: Dan Gruender and Mel Goldstein
- Executive Committee. 1997-2001, Secretary. President: Nancy Ridout
- Planning Committee and Governance Task Force. Chair 2002-2006. President: Jim Miller
- Finance Committee. 2002 – Present. Chairs: Tom Boak, Jeff Moxie, Ralph Davis
- BOD. 2005 – Present. President: Rob Copeland
Please list any other experience that relates to your qualifications for the position.
- LMSC Chair – 4 years
- LMSC Registrar – 11 years
- LMSC and Team Newsletter Editor – 11 or 12 years and still at it.
Please list any other information you would like included:
Dorothy Donnelly Service Award, 1997 Ransom Arthur Award, 2005