USMS.ORG and STREAMLINES (Reader Submissions)
Thank you for your interest in submitting a story or image for publication. On occasion, we publish thoughtful, well-written pieces from and about our members at usms.org and in our STREAMLINES eNewsletters. Potential topics include:
- What Masters Swimming means to you
- How swimming has helped in your struggle to overcome adversity
- Inspirational stories about other members
- What it’s like to be new to swimming
- Humorous or lighthearted pieces about swimming
- Reflections on swimming or swimming events
- Great images that capture the essence of Masters Swimming or a special event that has a short story behind it, for "This Aquatic Life" column in STREAMLINES
Not all stories or images will be published. This isn't a reflection on the quality of your work or your story—it just might not be a good fit or the timing might not be right. USMS publications are for members, about members, and by members. We do not offer any compensation for reader submissions.
- Use our Article Idea Collector to send us your story idea.
- Keep stories to 800 words or less. Contact the editor if circumstances warrant a longer piece.
- We reserve the right to edit all material.
- Submit a landscape-oriented photo and bio with your story. See Photo Submission Guidelines.
- If you're submitting a photo for "This Aquatic Life," see Photo Submission Guidelines
SWIMMER Magazine (Reader Submissions)
SWIMMER is planned a full year in advance. Except for the reader submissions listed here, SWIMMER content is produced by paid professional writers. If you'd like to suggest a topic for SWIMMER, please use our Article Idea Collector. If you're a writer and would like to write for SWIMMER, please see the Writer Submission Guidelines.
Haiku poems for 5-7-5
We accept Haiku poetry for the 5-7-5 column in “Shallow End.” We especially enjoy the humorous ones!
- Use our Article Idea Collector to send us your Haiku poem.
Essays for 'Hot Tub'
We accept humorous or lighthearted essays about life as a swimmer for the Hot Tub column in "Shallow End." Have a funny take on Masters Swimming? Are your lanemates a constant source of amusement? Or maybe you're just a natural storyteller.
- Use our Article Idea Collector to send us your idea for a 500-word essay.
Photographs for 'Lens'
Have you captured an awesome moment with your camera? Did you get a great shot of all your teammates at an event? Do you have a fun image that other swimmers will relate to? Do you have historical images from the early days of Masters Swimming? We love sharing great photos with our readers in our Lens column in "Perspectives."
- See our Photo Submission Guidelines.
Letters to the Editor
Letters must be 150 words or less and must include the author’s full name and registered USMS club. For verification purposes, include home address, phone number and email address. Contact information will not be published. SWIMMER might excerpt parts of your letter, or ask you to revise your letter, and reserves the right to edit for space constraints, clarity, and civility.
- Email letters to email@example.com.