Name: Anthony Thompson
LMSC: Missouri Valley
Nominated for: BOD Member from Breadbasket Zone
The USMS BOD needs a diversity of membership from all regions of the country that bring experience from leadership within the LMSC, the Zones and from their professional lives. I reside in a smaller LMSC in the Midwest with a diversity of community sizes spread over a large geography. USMS needs continuity by re-electing some directors since many of our current directors have reached term limits. In addition, I have served as the chair of the USMS International Committee and have an interested in how USMS interact with FINA and other international organization within the aquatics community. The key issues facing USMS are: continued transformation of organizational structure with a professional staff and national office, financial and membership growth, and leadership development for all levels of the organization for clubs, LMSC, Zones, USMS Committees and for USMS BOD.
Response to Questions
Why are you interested in this position and why do you believe you would be a good candidate?
I am interested in continuing on the USMS BOD to serve its membership. With the election of officers and directors in consecutive years, USMS needs continuity by re-electing some directors since many of our current directors have reached term limits.
I reside in a smaller LMSC in the Midwest with a diversity of community sizes spread over a large geography. The USMS BOD needs a diversity of membership from all regions of the country that bring experience from leadership within the LMSC, the Zones, and from USMS Committee, as well as from their professional lives.
In addition, I have served as the chair of the USMS International Committee and have an interested in how USMS interact with FINA and other international organization within the aquatics community. I have represented USMS through my club at four FINA World Championships as well as the recent PanAm UANA Championship in Mexico as well as other international aquatics events.
What do you consider to be the major issues facing USMS now and in the future. As a person holding an elected position within USMS, how would you address these issues?
- Providing leadership as USMS continued growth from +50,000 toward 100,000 members by acting with transparency, by seeking and being receptive to input from the membership, by leading with the vision of our organization into the future (and not just relying on our history).
- Changes in Governance – continued transformation to an organization with professional staff and national office while continuing to provide meaningful volunteer opportunity.
- Financial growth to support the organization as we transform and build our Endowment Fund.
- Continue initiatives to bring international visitors to USAS/USMS Convention to continue to build our relationships within the international community of masters swimmers.
- Succession Planning – within LMSCs, for USMS Committees, for Zone Chairs, and for the USMS BOD including the Executive Committee. Leadership development within all levels of this volunteer-based organization is key.
Please list USMS committees on which you have served. Include the dates you were on the committees and the names of the committee chairs under whom you served:
- Safety & Education (Julie Heather) 2004-5; Rules (Leo Letendre and Kathy Casey) 2004-2007
- International (Sandi Rousseau, Mary Pohlmann, Anthony Thompson, Wayne McCauley, and Lazlso Eger ) 2004-2009
- Zone Committee (Julie Heather) 2005-2008, and USMS BOD 2008-present
- BOD Governance Committee (Patty Miller 2008 and Anthony Thompson 2009-current), 2008-current.
Please list any other experience that relates to your qualifications for the position.
In my profession life I am an analytical chemist in a pharmaceutical company. My work involves the details in the regulation of the FDA, and requires strong analytical skills as well as project management. I have also been a lead member of committees to develop and implement training programs.
I have served on the board of directors of Kansas City Corporate Challenge (27-sport competition between corporations in KC metro over 7-weeks each summer, which includes a swim meet with 800 participants) with a focus on facilitating the 1200+ volunteers (from the 160+ company that participate) to smoothly operate these competitions.
USMS Convention Workshops – 2 years facilitated LMSC Chair workshop
USMS Convention – served as key contact for international visitors to USAS/USMS Convention.
Within our LMSC, I have served as:
- Missouri Valley LMSC Chair – 2003-2008
- Missouri Valley Fitness Chair – 1999-2003 and 2008-current
- Co-Meet director for local swim meets, including the Mizzou SCM Championship in Dec 2006 & Dec 2007.