Name: Mary Pohlmann
Nominated for: Director from Great Lakes Zone
Nominated by: Meg Smath
Letters of Reference from: Catherine Quill and Meg Smath
Summary StatementMary Pohlmann, M.D., Ph.D.; Candidate for BOD member from the Great Lakes Zone; active member of USMS for 22 years; Central LMSC Chair 2002-2005; Member of the USMS Sports Medicine, International and Safety Education Committees; and Treasurer of Illinois Masters.
Response to Questions
Why are you interested in this position and why do you believe you would be a good candidate?
I am interested in the position of Board of Delegates member from Great Lakes Zone because I feel that I can well-represent our zone membership. My 22+ years of activity within the zone makes me especially well-prepared for this role. As my term of office as LMSC Chair ends September 1st, 2005, I will have time to devote to the position of BOD member while I continue to contribute at the LMSC level as immediate past Chairman and member of the LMSC Board of Directors.
What do you consider to be the major issues facing USMS now and in the future. As a person holding an elected position within USMS, how would you address these issues?
I feel that the major issues facing USMS now and in the future relate in large part to marketing. The more people throughout the county and the world know about Masters swimming, the more likely we are to achieve our goals of increasing membership and providing service to our current members. Every member of USMS can be an evangelist for the cause of Masters swimming, raising the visibility of our sport and promoting healthful activity. As a BOD member, I would strive to involve all USMS members in broadly advocating for Masters swimming in all their contacts.
Please list USMS committees on which you have served. Include the dates you were on the committees and the names of the committee chairs under whom you served:
- Sports Medicine Committee 2002-present; Chair: Jessica Seaton
- International Committee 2002-present; Chair: Sandi Rousseau
- Safety Education Committee: 2003-present; Chair: Shannon Sullivan
- I have also contributed to the work of other committees, including Records and Tabulations, Publications, Rules, and History and Archives. Examples of this work include my writing of the first draft of “Guidelines for Pool Measurement” and changing the USMS relay card to digital form for inclusion in the next LMSC Handbook.
Please list any other experience that relates to your qualifications for the position.
- Chair of the Central LMSC from August 1, 2002 – September 1, 2005
- Vice-Chair of the Central LMSC (1989-91)
- Treasurer of Illinois Masters for more than 10 years
- Participant in competitions throughout the Great Lakes zone, as well as national and international events and clinics for 22 years
- Certified Stroke and Turn Judge, Ozark LSC
- Member of several community boards, including the Abundant Health Resource Clinic Board; the Institutional Review Board of Memorial Hospital in Carbondale; Board Secretary for the Jackson County Health Department; and chair of the Health Cabinet of First United Methodist Church in Carbondale.